Wrist Watches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Wrist Watches

Postby rustymutt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm

johnep wrote:My battery died on my 15 year old Seiko yesterday. i could not open the case so had to go to local jeweler to get a replacement. We talked a little about quality of watches. Seiko uses all metal parts and is hand made. Most lower priced watches have at least some plastic parts and will last only a few years if you are lucky. Some of cheaper watches are made in a totally automated process. A quality watch like Seiko typically lasts a very long time. It seems the old adage, you get what you pay for, applies.

Wrost watch I ever owned was a Selko. Best watch was a cheap Timex. Take a licking, and kept on ticking.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 pm

gkaplan wrote:Twenty plus years using a $20 Casio. Still runs fine.

My scientific calculator is a Casio. Great little PC.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Postby tdirgins » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:04 pm

There are plenty of good quality mechanical watches at reasonable prices.

Bernhardt Binnacle Diver (next on my list, great watch)
https://www.bernhardtwatch.com/index.php?id=31

I agree with amoeba's comments about Seiko. I am wearing an Orange Monster today--the thing is built like a tank.

Take a gander at the Watchuseek affordable watches forum. Lots of good recommnedations there.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/
tdirgins

Postby Teetlebaum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:53 pm

amoeba wrote:If you are looking at sub $150 mechanical watches, stick to Seiko. You can find Seiko 5s for under $100....

I'm very pleased with the Seiko 5 I recently got via Amazon for $65, selling elsewhere for over $100.
Teetlebaum

Postby lightheir » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:04 am

Am wondering if those very pricey sapphire crystal watch faces (these watches typically sell for $500+) really are that much more scratch resistant.
lightheir

Postby Ged » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:28 am

lightheir wrote:Am wondering if those very pricey sapphire crystal watch faces (these watches typically sell for $500+) really are that much more scratch resistant.

Yes, they are. Brinnell hardness of 9, meaning only diamond and a very few other things will scratch them. The thing is that it comes at a price - sapphire is more brittle so if you rap it hard enough it will shatter.

There's talk about sapphire smart phone screens. It will be interesting to see how it will work out.
What do we want? Evidence driven change. | When do we want it? After peer review.
Ged

Postby poker27 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:04 am

Be careful to not become a watch guy. I started with a $100 watch, then $700, I currently wear a tag huer which was about $1500. But I've got my eye on an omega or rolex which obviously go for more.
poker27

Postby rj49 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 am

I really like my Pebble smartwatch. It's fairly small, the screen uses e-paper so the battery lasts a week or so, and it gives vibrating notifications from my iphone for messages, email, reminders, and incoming calls. It even works with exercise/GPS apps, so I use it as a bike computer and pedometer when I'm out walking. And of course it works as a watch and alarm clock, with dozens of different watchfaces, and it has a backlight that's activated when I shake my wrist. It's nice for driving, movies, and at home when I can tell I got an email or an incoming call when I don't want to have to check my phone. They have them at Best Buy for around $110-120. It's my first watch after 10 years or so of doing without one.
rj49

Postby jdb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

poker27 wrote:Be careful to not become a watch guy. I started with a $100 watch, then $700, I currently wear a tag huer which was about $1500. But I've got my eye on an omega or rolex which obviously go for more.

Not so bad being a watch guy. Lots worse ways to spend money as get older than a good mechanical Swiss watch on wrist which not only keeps good time but looks nice. I recommend the Omega Seamaster, terrific entry level top quality Swiss. Do not personally like Rolex, but the AP Royal Oak a classic sports watch and the Patek Calatrava with manual wind the all time simple classic which fits under French cuffs. Male jewelry. But does look nice.
jdb

Postby Nowizard » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Take a look at Eddie Bauer. I have an EB watch that is over 15 years old and has had the battery replaced exactly one time. Cost about $60. They do no have a large collection, but they are classical in appearance.

Tim
Nowizard

Postby Fletch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Where is Petrocelli when you need him? :twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27707&hilit=watch
. | | "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." | - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
Fletch

Postby Random Musings » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 pm

"The Casio Corporation is one of the largest manufacturer of timepieces in the universe."

'Nuff said.

RM
Random Musings

Postby Ged » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

I always wonder what the effect of wearing stuff like an ostentatious watch in public is when the auto mechanic or landscaper is working on your invoice.
What do we want? Evidence driven change. | When do we want it? After peer review.
Ged

Postby hq38sq43 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Timex. "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Jumped in the pool ca. 4 years ago forgetting the $80 Pulsar my son had gifted me from one of his first regular pay checks was on my wrist. Big mistake. Bought a $40 Timex replacement which I suspect would survive such a plunge, but I now always check if I'm wearing it when I (rarely) go in the water.

Best,
Harry at Bradenton
hq38sq43

Postby HomerSector7G » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Wow, times to AP, quite a range....

+1 for a Seiko mechanical (a 5 or a Superior as a nicer watch). That plus a G Shock for 'less nice' wear puts you in excellent company on both ends of the spectrum.
HomerSector7G

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 pm

I've had a lot of unique watches over the years. Have a Certina, Paolo Gucci (Gucci family member who went out on his own), Citizen eco drive titanium (somewhere), a BMW E30 M3 watch (looks like the tachometer of an 88 M3), have a few others my dad left me. I use my cell phone now.
Jack FFR1846

Postby billjohnson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:23 am

tdirgins wrote:There are plenty of good quality mechanical watches at reasonable prices. I agree with amoeba's comments about Seiko. Take a gander at the Watchuseek affordable watches forum. Lots of good recommnedations there.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/

+1
billjohnson

Postby FedGuy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:35 pm

jdb wrote:Not so bad being a watch guy.

Although I recently learned that hanging out with a watch guy can be fairly painful. A college acquaintance recently hosted a reunion, and I spent some time talking to a guy who used to live in my dorm. I remember him as being a cool, fairly fun guy. Now, he would not...stop...talking...about...watches. It was agonizing.

Don't be that guy.
FedGuy

Postby BobStrauss » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I found it fascinating a few years ago when I realized hip people don't wear watches anymore. If they want to know what time it is they pull out their smartphone.

That is, we went from wrist watches back to pocket watches.

Now everybody who is anybody is planning on buying an iWatch. For their wrist.

Remarkable.

PJW

I disagree 100%. For guys who are into fashion and the aesthetic, wrist watches are very cool. They're the only acceptable "accessory" men have, and you can get watches that are suitable for any occasion.

Going back to the OP, I would agree with many of the other replies and suggest against those shady knock off brands that are always "discounted" 90%. In my opinion, every man should have 1-4 timeless watches that last a lifetime. You don't have to go all Rolex, either. Seiko makes some really cool stuff at low prices (like these for example: http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/92/9202f99a_image.jpeg). Orient makes a lot of interesting watches at a similar price level. Moving up to the $500-1000 range, companies like Hamilton, Stowa, and Marvin offer some really cool pieces.

Of course, if you don't care about fashion or aesthetics, purchasing a watch isn't smart to begin with.
BobStrauss

Postby abuss368 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Maybe Apple will release an iWatch!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby stoptothink » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 pm

BobStrauss wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I found it fascinating a few years ago when I realized hip people don't wear watches anymore. If they want to know what time it is they pull out their smartphone.

Remarkable.

PJW

I disagree 100%. For guys who are into fashion and the aesthetic, wrist watches are very cool. They're the only acceptable "accessory" men have, and you can get watches that are suitable for any occasion.

Going back to the OP, I would agree with many of the other replies and suggest against those shady knock off brands that are always "discounted" 90%. In my opinion, every man should have 1-4 timeless watches that last a lifetime. You don't have to go all Rolex, either. Seiko makes some really cool stuff at low prices (like these for example: http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/92/9202f99a_image.jpeg). Orient makes a lot of interesting watches at a similar price level. Moving up to the $500-1000 range, companies like Hamilton, Stowa, and Marvin offer some really cool pieces.

Of course, if you don't care about fashion or aesthetics, purchasing a watch isn't smart to begin with.

In my opinion, every man should have 1-4 good olympic barbells that last a lifetime, because I am into power and olympic lifting. Man, do I not get the watch thing and I think by most standards I am young, hip, and dress quite well.The first thing I think of when I see a man with an expensive watch (and I know it is a bad stereotype and definitely not always true) is "$30k millionaire," the kind of guy who drives a late-model German car but is totally broke. The handful of friends I have that wear high-end watches all definitely fit that description and spend a great deal of thought and effort into appearing successful.

It literally is man jewelry. I like things that look good, but not if they cost half as much (or more) of my entire wardrobe and serve virtually no functional purpose. To each their own.
stoptothink

Postby Jerrybaby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

I picked up a Victorinox Swiss Army watch a while back for about $350 and I couldn't be happier. You'd have to give me a more expensive watch before I'd be interested. I guess I'm no longer a kid, so I like watches. My watch works for any occasion, and can take it diving or swimming. It has a considerable amount of heft, so I always know its there. These watches last for decades, and mine hasn't given me any trouble. You can pull out your smartphone, I'll look at my wrist and keep moving. You never know; you might miss a picture of someone's latest meal on Facebook if you didn't have that handy smartphone to give you the time of day.
Jerrybaby

Postby rustymutt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I just bought two Timex watches from Amazon.com. I have worn both, and like them. If they last me 4 years, I'll buy new ones for about $20 each.
rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Ged wrote:I always wonder what the effect of wearing stuff like an ostentatious watch in public is when the auto mechanic or landscaper is working on your invoice.

Timex works for you!
rustymutt

Postby BobStrauss » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:50 pm

stoptothink wrote:
BobStrauss wrote:

Remarkable.

PJW

In my opinion, every man should have 1-4 good olympic barbells that last a lifetime, because I am into power and olympic lifting. Man, do I not get the watch thing and I think by most standards I am young, hip, and dress quite well.The first thing I think of when I see a man with an expensive watch (and I know it is a bad stereotype and definitely not always true) is "$30k millionaire," the kind of guy who drives a late-model German car but is totally broke. The handful of friends I have that wear high-end watches all definitely fit that description and spend a great deal of thought and effort into appearing successful.

It literally is man jewelry. I like things that look good, but not if they cost half as much (or more) of my entire wardrobe and serve virtually no functional purpose. To each their own.

I don't think you read my post carefully. Most importantly, I never recommended dropping cash on a watch one can't afford. I think Seikos are great watches that can last a lifetime, and you can get them for less than $100. There are also fantastic deals on used watches to be found on eBay. I also said to each their own. If dressing well isn't a real interest, why drop money on it? And though you may disagree, watches are an essential part of a man's wardrobe for the large majority of guys who are into dressing well.
BobStrauss

Postby Teetlebaum » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm

stoptothink wrote:In my opinion, every man should have 1-4 good olympic barbells that last a lifetime, because I am into power and olympic lifting. Man, do I not get the watch thing....

In my opinion, everyone should wear a watch and study a foreign language. Duolingo would seem to agree, according to today's lesson:
Teetlebaum

Postby Riceman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:51 pm

I actually use a watch for work. Most of the time, I'm not allowed to have my phone turned on. When giving a speech or attending public events, even if I have my phone, it would be inappropriate to take it out to check the time. With a watch, subtly checking the time is much easier.

Like someone else above, I have a Seiko mechanical watch and G-Shock. The G-Shock has my backup alarm clock.
Riceman

Postby tuningfork » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:08 am

I bought a Casio watch in 1982 or so for less than $10. It was still working great 4 years ago when I abandoned it in favor of using my smartphone. One less thing to carry around.

A co-worker bought a $5000 Rolex for his 50th birthday a few years ago. We're the same age and worked for the same company all these years. He wonders how I was able to retire early last year and he couldn't. :)
tuningfork

Postby lightheir » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:22 am

I used to wonder why some watches are so much more expensive. Not just the pure luxury cachet brands, but even the 'lower' luxury models.

Turns out that sapphire glass is REALLY expensive. It's 2nd hardest to diamond, and at least when I looked online, having a true sapphire glass watchface pushes the watch over $500, even for the most basic-looking of watches.
lightheir

Postby topper1296 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 am

poker27 wrote:Be careful to not become a watch guy. I started with a $100 watch, then $700, I currently wear a tag huer which was about $1500. But I've got my eye on an omega or rolex which obviously go for more.

I know what you mean. I wear a $1,200 Longines, but having been looking at an Omega Seamaster Professional. Personally, I think a Rolex is ugly. I can't get past the "cyclops" look with the magnifier over the date. :wink:

On a side note, my "beater" watch is a Casio G-Shock. If you want to wear a digital watch, the discussion should start and end with a G-Shock. :sharebeer
topper1296

Postby shmidds » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 am

My 25 year old swiss army watch finally died. I asked several watch-obsessed friends what watch they would buy for <$300 dollars. I wanted a mechanical movement and a sapphire crystal. They all recommended a Maratac watch from CountyComm.com. I've had the watch for a year and love it.
shmidds

Postby leonidas » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

My mother in law gave me and Ebel when I got engaged. Most likely cost 1500-2000 (in 1998). Last year it needed servicing and I got a quote back for $390. Its been sitting on my dresser since then. I just use my phone to tell time. After waring a watch everyday for 20 years it took a while to get used to not having one. I don't think there has been a time when I asked myself..I wonder what time is it and why don't I have a watch on?
leonidas

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues