Car Thefts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Car Thefts

Postby JMacDonald » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi,
In this article in the LA Times, it states that the Ford F-250 has the highest theft rate with my new Sierra right behind:
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew, Chevy Avalanche 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew came in just below the F-250 as vehicles most likely to be targeted by thieves.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... 1691.story
I am wondering what steps I can take besides the alarm system that is already in the truck. As of now I always take basic precautions.
But there may be something else that I have thought of that may prevent the truck from being stolen. Thanks.
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Re: Car Thefts

Postby jebmke » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Park next to a Ford F-250.

I always try to park next to a car that is more luxurious than mine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 pm

JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
In this article in the LA Times, it states that the Ford F-250 has the highest theft rate with my new Sierra right behind:
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew, Chevy Avalanche 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew came in just below the F-250 as vehicles most likely to be targeted by thieves.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... 1691.story
I am wondering what steps I can take besides the alarm system that is already in the truck. As of now I always take basic precautions.
But there may be something else that I have thought of that may prevent the truck from being stolen. Thanks.

I doubt you really need to worry, they are probably stolen in pretty close proportion to how many are sold.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby Higman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 pm

The article you referenced says:

“According to the institute’s findings, seven theft insurance claims were filed for every 1,000 insured F-250s. Many claims, however, could have resulted from theft of equipment or other belongings out of truck beds. Incident data didn’t distinguish between thefts of the vehicle itself, its parts or its contents.”

I would guess unsecured equipment in the truck bed was responsible for pushing all the trucks you referenced up to the top of the list. So just secure your cargo.
Higman

Postby hand » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Isn't this a risk you'd protect against with insurance? Assuming you have insurance in place, I'd let the insurance company guide you on what if any other steps (if any) to take.

If I thought my car was at a much higher risk than average, I would consider a hidden kill switch if the car didn't already have an immobilizer chip.
hand

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby dratkinson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I have wondered if it was possible to retrofit a vehicle to only start if an RFID chip were present? The RFID chip would be in my wallet.

I see this as a double-duty solution: (1) avoid vehicle theft, and (2) avoid leaving home without my wallet. Hate it when I do that.
d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Postby Random Poster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Sam I Am wrote:I had a van stolen once. I had met a couple of friends at a rib joint for Monday Night Football. Typically we watched the first half and the halftime show, then left. When I went outside, no van.

One day when I was in school I walked outside of my apartment and I noticed that my car (a Honda Civic) was gone.

The first thing that went through my mind was "hmmmm...surely the person who took it will be back when they realize that they got in the wrong car by mistake." I honestly believed that someone had simply mistaken my car for theirs, since white Honda Civics were (and remain) pretty popular cars, and that we just happened to share the same key pattern.

It was only after I looked down the parking lot and saw a police officer talking to another resident did I realize that my car had been stolen and that it probably wasn't going to be coming back.

As to the OP, I'm kinda surprised that an F-250 has the highest theft rate. Aren't F-150's way more popular?
Random Poster

Postby ryuns » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Higman wrote:The article you referenced says:

“According to the institute’s findings, seven theft insurance claims were filed for every 1,000 insured F-250s. Many claims, however, could have resulted from theft of equipment or other belongings out of truck beds. Incident data didn’t distinguish between thefts of the vehicle itself, its parts or its contents.”

I would guess unsecured equipment in the truck bed was responsible for pushing all the trucks you referenced up to the top of the list. So just secure your cargo.

Yeah, because of that quote, the entire article and original dataset seem pretty hard to draw any conclusions from. That would also explain why the F-250 could be higher than F-150--more use in construction-type jobs where tools are often left in the bed. Vehicles with higher ground clearance also make it easier to steal things like catalytic converters. Lots of folks would love to steal my old, non-modified Honda Civic for parts and play time, but ain't no way they're going to get underneath and saw out my cat!
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Postby ryuns » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Sam I Am wrote:It was really weird coming out of the rib joint and seeing no vehicle. I did find the outside part of the door lock that had been popped, right where the van had been parked.

Yeah, but it certainly could have been worse. I mean, if I'd come out of Ikea, or out to the economy parking lot at the airport, or God help me, a multi-floor parking structure, I'd probably wander around it for our 17 hours before I could ever convince myself that it'd been stolen. Because a thousand times before that, I was just looking on the wrong floor and eventually found the dang thing. :oops:
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Postby jlawrence01 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Sam I Am wrote:The Low-jack company advertises a 99% recovery rate. No idea how much the system costs. There are other companies with similar services.

I had a van stolen once. I had met a couple of friends at a rib joint for Monday Night Football. Typically we watched the first half and the halftime show, then left. When I went outside, no van.

Lojack works pretty well, especially in SoCal. However, it does NOT prevent your truck from being stolen. It does aid in QUICK recovery - before it hits the dock, the border, or the chop shop.

You will recover some of the Lojack cost through lower rates from your vehicle insurance.

The two things I would do if I owned a truck was to reinforce the steering column with a steel collar and to install a "kill switch."
jlawrence01

Postby obgraham » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 am

Get a Buick.

No self-respecting thief wants to be seen in one of those.
obgraham

Postby Default User BR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 am

obgraham wrote:Get a Buick.
No self-respecting thief wants to be seen in one of those.

Most thieves aren't stealing cars to be styling around town. In Missouri they've had one of those unintended consequences laws. They changed the age of cars for which you can sell them for scrap without a title. So thieves are stealing older beaters to sell for a few bucks to a scrap yard.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby frugaltype » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 am

ryuns wrote:Yeah, but it certainly could have been worse. I mean, if I'd come out of Ikea, or out to the economy parking lot at the airport, or God help me, a multi-floor parking structure, I'd probably wander around it for our 17 hours before I could ever convince myself that it'd been stolen. Because a thousand times before that, I was just looking on the wrong floor and eventually found the dang thing. :oops:

I still lose my car temporarily in general parking lots, but in actual parking structures I've learned to write the location on the ticket.
frugaltype

Postby JMacDonald » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

frugaltype wrote:
ryuns wrote:Yeah, but it certainly could have been worse. I mean, if I'd come out of Ikea, or out to the economy parking lot at the airport, or God help me, a multi-floor parking structure, I'd probably wander around it for our 17 hours before I could ever convince myself that it'd been stolen. Because a thousand times before that, I was just looking on the wrong floor and eventually found the dang thing. :oops:

I still lose my car temporarily in general parking lots, but in actual parking structures I've learned to write the location on the ticket.

The funniest line in the movie, Star Trek 4, was when they landed in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, Captain Kirt said to the crew: "Don't forget where we parked."

In the Century City, in Los Angeles, the underground parking is so big that they have guys in carts taking people around the structure looking for their car. :shock:

I am going to look into having a kill switch installed if there isn't a problem with the warranty doing that. Thanks for the replies.
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby boglenole » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

F250s (and the other high end trucks) are tops on the list due to their tailgates. Owners dont realize this until its too late.....but tailgates go for >$1000 a pop on the newer trucks. There is relatively large amount of content now packed into them (rear view camera, backup sensors, etc) and they take about 2 minutes to steal of a parked vehicle.

With tailgates being one of easier things to damage in a collision.....and the high cost to replace - the black market has quite a demand for these right now.

So my advice to all you truck owners - if you have a lock on your tailgate - use it.
boglenole

Postby ryuns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

frugaltype wrote:

Good idea, though, see, I'd lose my ticket if it stayed with me. That stays in my car. At the airport, I'm good about texting myself the location.

I set a new bar for my own parking lot idiocy recently. Was going to SF for work for a couple days, and instead of driving in, I usually park at a BART station and take the train across the bay. North Concord is convenient and has a ton of long-term parking, and I had work the following day nearby, so I went there. Somehow, I ended up getting google map direction to "regular" Concord, not north Concord, and ended up parking there. On my way back, I show up at North Concord, really thinking that this place doesn't looking familiar, and I proceeded to wander around pushing my alarm button for about 20 minutes. Of course, I didn't have my google map print out to confirm where I ended up, but I'm still getting the feeling that I went to the wrong station. Checked google street view of the "regular" Concord station on my cell phone (what a world we live in!) and, wow, that area really looks familiar. Back on the train to another station, and there's my car. Amazingly, no parking tickets, even though the temporary pass clearly listed the wrong station and it was there for two full work days. More amazing was that I was able to drive to and around the station, buy tickets, and get on a train, all without noticing that the name of the dang station was different. (This was like 7 am and I'd been up since 5 though.)

I'm really not that absent-minded. I blame it on the fact that I don't drive much and never commute via car. Oh well. It could have been MUCH worse.
ryuns

Postby Epsilon Delta » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:27 pm

ryuns wrote:On my way back, I show up at North Concord, really thinking that this place doesn't looking familiar, and I proceeded to wander around pushing my alarm button for about 20 minutes.

It could be worse. Some key fobs will lose sync if you press them 255 times without the car present, so when you finally find your car you need to call AAA to break in.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a smartphone with a camera and take a picture of where you park your car?
Epsilon Delta

Postby ryuns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
ryuns wrote:On my way back, I show up at North Concord, really thinking that this place doesn't looking familiar, and I proceeded to wander around pushing my alarm button for about 20 minutes.

It could be worse. Some key fobs will lose sync if you press them 255 times without the car present, so when you finally find your car you need to call AAA to break in.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a smartphone with a camera and take a picture of where you park your car?

To be fair though, a picture of my car in a sprawling suburban parking lot might not help that much. Maybe I could figure out a way to geotag it.
ryuns

Postby Rattlesnake » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 pm

I've always thought if they want it, they're gonna get it.... But I guess I would not plan to live in one of these cities (http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahellio ... olen-cars/).....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Rattlesnake

Postby Sidney » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 pm

ryuns wrote:To be fair though, a picture of my car in a sprawling suburban parking lot might not help that much. Maybe I could figure out a way to geotag it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ycar&hl=en

I think there are a number of apps that do this.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby Default User BR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm

One advantage (among many) to driving a full-size rusty Bronco is that it's easy to spot in parking lots. I was coming back from a trip and lost the parking lot ticket with the location. The shuttle driver asked me to describe it. When I said, "white full-size Bronco", she said, "Oh I know where THAT is!"

Brian
Default User BR

Postby JMacDonald » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Rattlesnake wrote:I've always thought if they want it, they're gonna get it.... But I guess I would not plan to live in one of these cities (http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahellio ... olen-cars/).....

After looking at that list, I will have to be careful as I will be driving through some of those cities next week when I go to Kings Canyon NP.

Default User BR wrote:One advantage (among many) to driving a full-size rusty Bronco is that it's easy to spot in parking lots. I was coming back from a trip and lost the parking lot ticket with the location. The shuttle driver asked me to describe it. When I said, "white full-size Bronco", she said, "Oh I know where THAT is!"

I use to have a problems finding my 2005 Black Honda Civic. All of those little black cars look the same. I walked up the wrong car on several occasions. Once there was a woman sitting in one. I hope I didn't scare her. I was ready to paint the car yellow with pink polka dots. :?
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Postby JMacDonald » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:38 pm

As a follow up to this conversation, I bought a 'Secure Steering Wheel Lock' for my truck with a brake pedal lock: http://simjack.com:8185/?gclid=CJCUs8a4 ... DQoduzKVMA
Here is a video of the lock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=619sFv932ec
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Postby burgrat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:10 pm

boglenole wrote:F250s (and the other high end trucks) are tops on the list due to their tailgates. Owners dont realize this until its too late.....but tailgates go for >$1000 a pop on the newer trucks. There is relatively large amount of content now packed into them (rear view camera, backup sensors, etc) and they take about 2 minutes to steal of a parked vehicle.

With tailgates being one of easier things to damage in a collision.....and the high cost to replace - the black market has quite a demand for these right now.

So my advice to all you truck owners - if you have a lock on your tailgate - use it.

This is true! My friend's dad had his tailgate stolen when he went into the grocery store. He was in there less than 10 minutes. That's just crazy.
burgrat

Postby chrischris » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:14 pm

I take auto theft reports and recover stolen vehicles that are both occupied and unoccupied.

I would say 99% of the time the stolen vehicle is a Honda or Acura vehicle, built in the late 90s. It is incredibly easy to steal these cars with nothing more than a shaved key.

When I read the title of this threat I was immediately suspicious because its very rare that I hear about a stolen pickup (can't even recall a 2010-12 F250 being stolen from the city I work in).

As others have already pointed out, this "statistic" also includes thefts from inside the vehicle, not just thefts of the actual vehicles. Thefts from the pickup bed of trucks are extremely common.

"I would like to report my brand new weedeater was stolen from the back of my truck. I left it sitting in the truck bed in plain view for several hour after I parked in the crowded Home Depot parking lot. "

With regards to auto theft prevention, if you drive a Honda or Acura (a vehicle very likely to be stolen, unlike a new Ford pickup), use a Club. Also never keep anything of value outside the car since vehicle prowls are very common. Clubs help deter auto thefts because they are very easy to notice attached to the steering wheel and although they can be defeated it is much easier to walk across the street and find a Honda without a Club.

Electronic kills switches are great but I would use them in conjunction with a Club. It is still going to cost you several hundred bucks to repair your broken door lock or window and busted ignition after an auto thief attempts to steal your car but couldn't get it started thanks to the kill switch. The obviously visible Club would help deter this.

Anyway, this article is very misleading. Your expensive Ford truck is very safe and most likely wont be stolen. Just don't leave valuables inside it or any other car.
chrischris

Postby BigFoot48 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Our 2013 Ford C-Max came with a feature that allows its location to be seen from a web browser. As soon as thieves find out how much a Li-Ion battery pack is worth the theft rate on these plug-in hybrid and electric cars may skyrocket!
Retired | Two-time Top-10 Diehard S&P500 Picker; Nine-Time Loser
BigFoot48

Return to Personal Consumer Issues