Big Island Hawaii

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DireWolf

Big Island Hawaii

Post by DireWolf »

My wife and I are going to Hawaii for 11 days the last week in July. We will be spending 5 days on the Big Island (the other 5 days will be on Kauai).

We tend to be more outdoor activity-oriented... interests include snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, zip lining, etc.

There is obviously too much to do and see in 5 days, so we are trying to hit some "must-see" places. This will most likely be a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip.

Here are some ideas we have come up with so far...

1. Waterfall sightseeing - Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls
2. Zip Lining - Umauma Falls
3. Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
4. Volcanoes National Park - Kilauea Iki Trail and Crater Rim Drive
5. Beach time - Hapuna Beach
6. Snorkeling - Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook Monument), Kapoho Tide Pools
7. Lava Hike - David Ewing
8. Scenic Drive - Saddle Road

We also considered going to the Waipio Valley Lookout, Pololu Valley Lookout, and the Punaluu Black Sand Beach - but each of these are remotely located and would require a lot of driving.

Does anyone have something to add or subtract from the list? :happy
Bulldawg

Re: Big Island Hawaii

Post by Bulldawg »

It's been 30 years since we were on the Big Island, but I do recall a couple activities that stood out :

We did a horseback ride ( Parker Ranch IIRC) through some gorgeous scenery

A helicopter tour of the volcano area

Swam with the dolphins

A drive around the entire island ( a desire to see everything did result in a speeding ticket that followed us home )

Kauai is absoulutely beautiful too....loved the fern grotto !
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Some thoughts . . . it sound like you are staying on the Kona side of the island.

4. Volcanoes National Park - Kilauea Iki Trail and Crater Rim Drive - Don't miss the lava tube
5. Beach time - Hapuna Beach - - We liked the Lapakahi State Park as well - a small fishing village about an hour's north.
6. Snorkeling - Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook Monument), Kapoho Tide Pools - Snorkeling at Captain Cook is great. You can rent a Kayak and cross the bay. There are a couple places to rent at waters edge.
8. Scenic Drive - Saddle Road - I'm not sure about this one as you will see a lot on the way to Volcanos.
I would defintely include Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park. They have half hour presentations by guides that give you a lot of insight into Hawaiian society before Captain Cook.

The Black Sand beach is on the way to Volcanos if you take the southern route - it is very scenic and can be visited in about a hour.

If you like coffee, one of the Kona plantations gives about a half hour tour.

Update - We rented a kayak from Maile's. His house is on the bay - you go down an alley, park in his driveway and leave the keys with him. Very friendly and reasonable.
Last edited by Peter Foley on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Visit 'Southpointe ' to see locals cliff diving and the 'Green Sand Beach' also, from the Southpointe area. The Green Sand Beach' is one only a few green sand beaches in the world & it's best to pay a local the $20 RT fee from the parking lot area to get there, rather than walking ... google both those ideas. Visited the BI in March and go every couple of years.
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Saddle road on the Big Island is not all that scenic, IMHO. It does get you from one side to the other, however.

On Kauai, I highly recommend hikes in the Kokee State Park/Waimea Canyon area. Some of my favorites are:
a) Awaawapuhi Trail
b) Pihea Trail connecting to Alakai Swamp Trail
c) Nualolo Trail

At the other end of the road, you might want to consider the Kalalau Trail and the spur up to Hanakapai Falls.

I also recommend the botanical gardens on Kauai. Limahuli Gardens near Hanalei and Allerton Gardens near Poipu.

Bon voyage!
Blues

Post by Blues »

oxothuk wrote:At the other end of the road, you might want to consider the Kalalau Trail and the spur up to Hanakapai Falls.

I also recommend the botanical gardens on Kauai. Limahuli Gardens near Hanalei and Allerton Gardens near Poipu.

Bon voyage!
Loved the Big Island. Volcanoes, Black Sand... I think I saw the most sea turtles while snorkeling there. (My wife isn't scuba certified.)

The Kalalau Trail is a lot of fun and offers some nice vistas. Snorkeling in the Poipu area was very nice. Polihale beach is also well worth a visit.

When I took my wife to Hawaii I thought I was doing it for her and I wouldn't really care for it. I was wrong. I loved Hawaii...Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kaui. I could live there in a minute.
rr2

Post by rr2 »

The one thing missing is a trip up to the summit of Mauna Kea at sunset. It is truly an awesome sight.
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

Hawaii is one of my favorite places on this planet. I am thinking of moving there and visit as much as I can.

Good (and inexpensive) adventure day tours of the Big Island are given by two hostels: Arnott's Lodge and the Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. These tour sponsors take small groups to places in their vans, thereby avoiding having to rent a car to go to some rather remote areas.

I don't think you have to stay at the hostels to take advantage of their low-cost tours.

Googling the websites of the two hostels will provide details and contact information.

If you are into somewhat rigorous backpacking, please do not pass up the chance to take a multi-day hike to Waimanu Valley, one of the few places where the "real Hawaii" still exists in all of its splendor and glory. A reservation is necessary to camp there. Again, Google is your friend to find details on reservations, etc., for the Waimanu Valley.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Depending on specific flows and conditions, hiking out to the active lava flows in Volcano NP can be a very unique experience. Areas right by the ocean are unstable and unsafe, but often there are zones of oozing and hardening lava further inland (more of a taffy consistency). Getting up close to the lava (where you can poke it with a stick) is quite something; even more so at night. Ask about viewing conditions at the VNP ranger station. If the lava is accessible, it is often a fairly long hike across rough, sharp-edged older lava flows, so good shoes are important (possibly even gloves), as it is easy to get cuts and scrapes (flashlights if you do it at night, of course).
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

Moving on to Kauai, in my opinion the most beautiful part of the island, if you enjoy lush, soaring mountains, profuse tropical vegetation, and splendid beaches, is the Hanalei area. A day hike to the Hanakapiai Valley is recommended (but avoid the urge to swim at the splendid beach, as there have been many fatalities.) Hiking poles and boots are recommended for this hike, as it is rugged.

Rather pricey, but definitely worth it on a clear day, is a helicopter tour of the truly spectacular Na Pali coastline. Reservations can be made to fly from the Port Allen airport. If you take the helicopter tour on a clear day, I guarantee it is an experience you will *never* forget for the rest of your life.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Your trip sounds well-planned. I would cancel out Saddle Road which is no big deal (unless you are taking it anyway to get to the Hilo side or from the Hilo side) and would definitely include Waipio Valley Lookout. The Kohala coast area and Waimea-Kamuela is also nice.
Topic Author
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

wastenot wrote:Moving on to Kauai, in my opinion the most beautiful part of the island, if you enjoy lush, soaring mountains, profuse tropical vegetation, and splendid beaches, is the Hanalei area. A day hike to the Hanakapiai Valley is recommended (but avoid the urge to swim at the splendid beach, as there have been many fatalities.) Hiking poles and boots are recommended for this hike, as it is rugged.

Rather pricey, but definitely worth it on a clear day, is a helicopter tour of the truly spectacular Na Pali coastline. Reservations can be made to fly from the Port Allen airport. If you take the helicopter tour on a clear day, I guarantee it is an experience you will *never* forget for the rest of your life.
Are you referring to the first part of the Kalalau Trail?

As far as the Na Pali coast, do think it's better to see via boat or helicopter?
Topic Author
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Pacific wrote:I would cancel out Saddle Road which is no big deal (unless you are taking it anyway to get to the Hilo side or from the Hilo side) and would definitely include Waipio Valley Lookout..
We REALLY want to see the Waipio Valley Lookout and the Pololu Valley Lookout, but both are out of the way. We are trying to group daily activities by geography (one day in Volcanoes, one day near Pahoa, one day near Hilo, one day near Kona, etc) so we aren't spending most of our time driving.

Do you have an opinion of Waipio vs. Pololu?
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

DireWolf wrote:
wastenot wrote:Are you referring to the first part of the Kalalau Trail?

As far as the Na Pali coast, do think it's better to see via boat or helicopter?
Yes, the hike to Hanakapiai Valley is the first part of the very rugged (but rewarding) Kalalau Trail. But unlike the full Kalalau Trail, you do not need a permit to day hike to Hanakapiai. And be sure to take plenty of water.(And do not drink from creeks in Hawaii. Even though the water is crystal clear, it is infected with a disease called leptospirosis. But purifying pills work fine if you want to drink from the creeks.)

As for the Na Pali coast, both the boat and helicopter tours are good, but I think you get a far superior view from a helicopter. Also, the boat tour can be rather rough when returning in the late morning or early afternoon, when the trade winds typically start blowing and rough seas develop. In fact, anti-nausea pills may be advisable if you are prone to seasickness.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

We've done the Na pali coast by boat twice - both times taking the "sunset cruise". I would also recommend hiking the first part of the Na Pali coast (Kalalau Trail) starting near Ke'e Beach. Do take a walking stick (tree branch) as you have to scramble over some rocks a few times and the footing is not great. Hiking the Kalalau trail was the highlight of my second trip to Kauai. The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook is well worth buying.

We did the same combination Big Island + Kauai. I think the snorkling was better on the Big Island based on the places that are easily accessible. Ke'e was fine on Kauai, I've not tried Tunnels. My daughter and her husband zip lined on Kauai. Distances are shorter so doing the zip line on Kauai might save you some time.
pteam

Post by pteam »

There are "circle tours" which take you by bus around the whole island and see lots of awesome stuff. You'll see more in one day than you can imagine: black sand beaches, waterfalls, lava tubes, volcanos, state parks, etc.
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

DireWolf wrote:
Pacific wrote:Do you have an opinion of Waipio vs. Pololu?
If I could add a comment, visitors are often surprised by the distances that need to be covered on the Big Island, which is the largest island in the state and is bigger than Connecticut.

Visiting both the Waipio and Pololu Valleys (if you are staying in the Hilo area) is possible if you start very early in the morning. At the end of the Hamakua Coast road is the Waipio Lookout. Only 4-wheel drive vehicles can safely descend into the large and verdant Waipio valley (look down to see the smashed 2-wheel drive cars which didn't make it!), but often local people are waiting at the lookout to drive visitors into the valley for a fee. The beach is lovely, but be careful swimming as the waters just off the sandy beach are rocky. Walking down into the valley is possible, but it is a long hike, steep and tough on the ankles.

Returning to the village of Honokaa, turn right to pass through the Waimea area. Descending to the village of Hawi, there are fine views from the high point of the drive. At the end of the road is the remote Pololu Valley. At one time there was a mule ride taking visitors to the bottom, although I don't know if it is still in business. But unlike Waipio, walking down into the Pololu Valley is quite doable if you are in good physical condition. Again, don't go swimming at the beach, which is rough and dangerous.

And one more point. There is generally little crime in Hawaii, but stealing from parked tourist cars in an exception. Never leave anything of value in a rental car, as thieves are expert at breaking into them in seconds.
jasg

Post by jasg »

Just returned from our 3rd trip.

I too would vote for the Puuhonua O Honaunau park, along with the Puako Petroglyphs and the Puukohola Heiau - but the I find Hawaiian history fascinating. The latter two are on the northern Kohala coast just north of Hapuna Beach. Morning is best for the Petroglyphs (sun angle). You could do the petroglyphs and the heiau and still get to Hapuna before the parking lot fills up - or do the heiau after the wind drives you off the beach ;) (hint stay close to the hillside edge of the beach)

There are $$ tours of Mauna Kea, but check out the weather page at the observatory ahead of time. You can cancel 24 hours ahead if it looks bad. I think you can drive to the visitor's center at 9000 feet (check rental contract) but the road to the top is unpaved and dicey from what I hear - also excluded for rentals).
cougar310

Post by cougar310 »

When in Waimea you should stop by Hawaiian Style Cafe at 65-1290 Kawaihae Rd
Waimea, HI 96743. Great local breakfast and pleny of food. I know I worked there
in Kona/Kohala for 15 years. Also if you go thru Nalehu around lunch, look to the
makai side next to the baseball field and there is a local lunch shop that has the best
plate lunches anywhere. Also in Hilo is Ken,s Pancake house that should be visited.
Not sure if Don,s grill is still there in Hilo but a favorite for locals and not on
the beaten path. they specialize in rotisiere chicken...
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

wastenot wrote:Hawaii is one of my favorite places on this planet. I am thinking of moving there and visit as much as I can.

Good (and inexpensive) adventure day tours of the Big Island are given by two hostels: Arnott's Lodge and the Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. These tour sponsors take small groups to places in their vans, thereby avoiding having to rent a car to go to some rather remote areas.

I don't think you have to stay at the hostels to take advantage of their low-cost tours.

Googling the websites of the two hostels will provide details and contact information.

If you are into somewhat rigorous backpacking, please do not pass up the chance to take a multi-day hike to Waimanu Valley, one of the few places where the "real Hawaii" still exists in all of its splendor and glory. A reservation is necessary to camp there. Again, Google is your friend to find details on reservations, etc., for the Waimanu Valley.
Sue and I have been enchanted with Hawaii since she met me there on my return from Vietnam in 1968. But we didn't visit again until a few days after the 9/11 World Trade Center attacks, which was a welcome respite from the hysteria then rampant on the mainland. We have since visited several times and very nearly bought a retirement home on the Big Island, but decided it was too remote from friends and family. We compromised for a time share at a very favorable price in the early days of the Great Recession. Time shares are, of course, borderline economic insanity, but we could not forgo owning at least a tiny sliver of Hawaii.

On two of our more recent visits we circumnavigated the Big Island with a Roberts Bus Tour, which we replicated by auto on our last visit with our son, daughter, and their families celebrating our 50th anniversary. That wonderful family visit might not have occurred but for our time share, which nearly validated the sales pitch for the time share. We have reservations for a 3-week visit this December with another couple who share our enthusiasm for Hawaii. The "Spirit of Aloha" beckons inexorably.

I second the advice of other respondents to your post, especially as to visiting Mauna Kea. We lucked out with a visit on an evening when one of the observatories was closed for a reason which escapes me, but open to us at the behest of our tour guide. A truly remarkable experience.

If you decide to tour the Big Island privately by car instead of, or in addition to, a bus tour, be aware that the Island police use their own cars with a detachable blue dome. My brother-in-law driving our rental was incautious enough to incur a speeding citation, even though he does not have a especially heavy foot.

Although we are happily retired here in Bradenton, I would be at least as happy in Hawaii (or Tuscany). But Sue is still borderline ecstatic after four years here, so I am content with only periodic visits to those locales. I envy your introduction to Hawaii. Go. Go and enjoy.

Aloha,
Harry at Bradenton
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

On the Big Island:

Puuhonua O Honaunau park. http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm .

Waipio Valley, take the wagon tour. Don't try to drive down youself, its very steep and too dangerous. http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com/

Remote? Not that remote. No more remote than Kealakekua or Kapoho. Worth the drive, and the drive itself will be beautiful.

A coffee farm tour, such as: http://www.greenwellfarms.com/ ; or http://www.konalea.com/ .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

Pololu Valley Lookout; breathtaking and fun to get to
Snorkelling Captain Cook: best skorkelling I have ever seen and I am a scuba diver.
Took a Zodiac tour out of Kona and ran down a whale.
Toured Korean cemetaries around the Island.
Mauna Loa: can see the curve of the earth
Scuba with the mantas off Kona.
Coffee Co-ops
Many fabulous restaurants.
The Big Island is full of quirky, artistic people.
flipflopliving

Post by flipflopliving »

Dire wolf,
You can also join a group and sea kayak na pali. We too love kayaking and the outdoors and it was a phenomenonal day. Also, if you are a foodie, check out tiki taco on the west side of Kauai.

Ma halo, ffl
Take the course opposite to custom, you will almost always do well. Rousseau
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I really enjoyed lunch here. http://www.volcanogardenarts.com/cafeono.html

I didn't find driving almost all the way around to be that time consuming. Well, the trip to Hilo takes awhile but is fascinating and very enjoyable. Definitely worth the trip.

P.S. Don't forget that the search of a perfect plan is not always rewarded. Just go and enjoy it - even if you do nothing. :happy
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Already mentioned, but it cannot be repeated too many times: the Place of Refuge, Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park. My favorite place, perhaps anywhere.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Peter Foley wrote: I would defintely include Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park. They have half hour presentations by guides that give you a lot of insight into Hawaiian society before Captain Cook..
They were a people out of Homer, the Polynesians. From the Asian landmass in *outrigger canoes* they sailed and settled, down to Easter Island and New Zealand on the south, and on the east, to Hawaii. Perhaps they even reached the continent of North America-- there are Haida legends which would imply so. Their legends, and histories, could stand alongside those of Achilles and Odysseus before Troy. In their ferocity, the New Zealand Maori would give pause to even the great British Empire, and then go on to become its fiercest soldiers.

In the process they unleashed an ecological holocaust that we have continued-- something like 90% of Hawaii's original species are gone, a tragic loss. But in a very true, mythic, archetypal form they embody what makes us human, what makes the last cousin of the genus Pan, the hairless African ape, the dominant species on this planet, for better and for worse. One day we stood up, and walked out of Africa, and began a journey that took us to those islands, and that journey is not quite yet over...
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles4,
And see the great Achilles5, whom we knew
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
Alfred, Lord Tennyson - Ulysses
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

I just got married in Kauai less than a month ago; when you're there, make sure to go to the Passion Bakery in Kapa'a. Local spot, incredibly delicious.
http://www.kinipopovillage.com/passion_bakery.htm

I would also highly recommend a boat or helicopter tour of the Napali Coast. Truly spectacular views.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

wastenot wrote:
DireWolf wrote:
wastenot wrote:As for the Na Pali coast, both the boat and helicopter tours are good, but I think you get a far superior view from a helicopter. Also, the boat tour can be rather rough when returning in the late morning or early afternoon, when the trade winds typically start blowing and rough seas develop. In fact, anti-nausea pills may be advisable if you are prone to seasickness.
I've been to Kauai four times and still haven't taken a helicopter tour; just seems like it would be over too soon. I prefer the views you get from hiking trails above Na Pali (Awaawapuhi) or from the bottom (Kalalau) where you have time to fully experience the breathtaking scenery.

I've also taken boat the boat trip twice, once in the morning and the other time in late evening. As you said the seas can get rough there, so much so that the tours don't even run for five or six months during the winter. It does provide a different perspective on the cliffs however.
Dr. Market

Post by Dr. Market »

I second zzcooper's suggestion of snorkeling Captain Cook -- also some of the best snorkeling I've ever done.

The scuba/snorkel with manta rays at sunset is also pretty unique. I first did this about 8 years ago and it was amazing...only about 20 people in the water, there for about 3 hours, and you were free to roam around with the mantas. I recently did the manta snorkel again 6 months ago and it was a much less intimate experience. There was more like 200 people, in the water for only 30 minutes (will depend on the tour boat you take), and you had to hold onto a stationary raft the whole time. Still pretty cool.

I also agree that Saddle road is just so-so scenery-wise compared to the rest of Hawaii.

Some of the more interesting places to try on the Big Island:
1) Mochi at Two Ladies Kitchen in Hilo (not the best mochi I've had, but it's very popular)
2) Poke at Da Poke Shack in Kona
3) Dave's near Waikoloa has awesome chicken katsu.

There's also lots of homemade foods at the farmer's markets. Really hit or miss quality-wise though.

Bento lunches can be awesome and inexpensive. I don't have a particular recommendation on the Big Island but I'm sure you can find a good place. Good way to try a whole bunch of different Japanese and Hawaiian foods for a picnic when you're out somewhere more remote on the island.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

Waipio Valley is really beautiful. My 12 y.o. daughter and I parked at the top and strolled down. If you're reasonably fit, the hike is no big deal. The walk at the bottom is really peaceful and quiet.

My daughter and I also hiked down to Captain Cook to snorkel. The hike was super cool. You start hiking through sugar cane fields and then end up hiking over lava fields. The snorkelling was great and the site is truly historic.

City of Refuge/Hononau Bay-- another great snorkelling site and really interesting Hawaiian history.
rr2

Post by rr2 »

BC_Doc wrote:Waipio Valley is really beautiful. My 12 y.o. daughter and I parked at the top and strolled down. If you're reasonably fit, the hike is no big deal. The walk at the bottom is really peaceful and quiet.
Agree. Have done the hike a half dozen times. Well worth the trip.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

DireWolf wrote:My wife and I are going to Hawaii for 11 days the last week in July. We will be spending 5 days on the Big Island (the other 5 days will be on Kauai).

We tend to be more outdoor activity-oriented... interests include snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, zip lining, etc.

There is obviously too much to do and see in 5 days, so we are trying to hit some "must-see" places. This will most likely be a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip.

4. Volcanoes National Park - Kilauea Iki Trail and Crater Rim Drive
5. Beach time - Hapuna Beach
6. Snorkeling - Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook Monument), Kapoho Tide Pools
8. Scenic Drive - Saddle Road

We also considered going to the Waipio Valley Lookout, Pololu Valley Lookout, and the Punaluu Black Sand Beach - but each of these are remotely located and would require a lot of driving.

Does anyone have something to add or subtract from the list? :happy
Only been to Kauai, Oahu, and Maui, but have this to offer relating to Kauai

In Kauai, take a trip to see the Na Pali coast. My DW and I enjoyed seeing it via zodiak - not for the faint of heart. We saw hundreds of spinner dolphins and swam with a few sea turtles. If you're physically fit, I'd also suggest hiking the kalalau trail - break plenty of water and good hiking shoes.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Hike down to the Waipio valley. Do it on a Sunday when they don't do the wagon tours.

Place of refuge is very good if you want to understand the old Hawaiian culture.

Kalalau trail is now open the first SIX miles without a permit. The two miles to Hanakapiai and back are a pretty good day hike though. Just wanted to point out you can go further.

Thurston Lava Tube is a must see at Volcanoes NP. Bring a flashlight and you can go twice as far as most tourists dare venture.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I would recommend spending some time relaxing. All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy, not to mention adding to burnout. Relax, enjoy!
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

On Big Island, where the ocean meets a lava cliff on public land, that is called a beach. Only a few of the "beaches" on that island have sand.

Don't miss Waipio Valley. The view is on every Hawaiian scenic calendar for a reason. If you are somewhat fit, the hike is well worth it. Know your limits and wear shoes that will stay on in the mud and if you want to cross the stream (waist deep if the tide is in) to get to the far end, away from the crowded part of the beach.

Pololu Valley is a minature version of Waipio, a tenth of the size and distance, but with an unpaved trail to the beach. The full sized tour busses can't turn around at the overlook. We also like Keokeo Beach Park on the same road and you can drive to the water there.

Look on YouTube to see people playing with red hot lava where it enters the ocean, miles outside of the national park. Many years ago, numerous people died when a 40 acre shelf of recently solidified lava fell off into the ocean. We took that chance and didn't get caught by the risk, but we are rockhounds so fresh lava is special to us.

We liked hiking to the green sand beach from the South Point road, but we started very early to dodge the heat. The Edward Abbey quote of "The surprise in Surprise Valley, is that there is no shade" applies to that hike.

Some of those longer drives can be half done before sunrise if you get up at your normal time on the mainland, but that may not suit your idea of vacation.
bpp

Post by bpp »

I would skip Hapuna Beach. It is just a white sand beach, with a nasty rip tide to boot.

Definitely do not miss Waipi`o Valley.

In the volcanoes national park area, be sure to check out the petroglyphs at Pu`u Loa, for one of the most direct experiences of contact with the ancient culture available.

Any place you can "touch" flowing lava is also worthwhile, though of course be careful not to do something stupid. Pele is unforgiving of carelessness.

Some great scuba diving and snorkeling around Kona.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Peter Foley wrote:I would defintely include Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park. They have half hour presentations by guides that give you a lot of insight into Hawaiian society before Captain Cook.
I did a Hawaii cruise about 3 years ago and did this as one of the excursions - I would also recommend this park, but you may want to time it to avoid the tour buses. The other we did was to Volcano National Park - I also concur about the Thurston Lava Tubes.
Bulldawg wrote:Kauai is absoulutely beautiful too....loved the fern grotto !
Unfortunately, the Fern Grotto was a huge disappointment - apparently it was impacted by one of the hurricanes (Iniki?) that ripped most of the ferns off the grotto. However, Kauai was awesome - especially the Na Pali Coast. But I'm not sure whether you could appreciate the sheer magnitude of it from a small boat. We cruised past in the late afternoon and the trade winds were pretty fierce.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

cherijoh wrote:However, Kauai was awesome - especially the Na Pali Coast. But I'm not sure whether you could appreciate the sheer magnitude of it from a small boat. We cruised past in the late afternoon and the trade winds were pretty fierce.
IMHO, you can appreciate it from a small boat (we did it via zodiac), but you can also get an appreciation via the Kalalau Trail and Kalalau Lookout (we didn't do a helicopter tour). Here's some images of each in the order previously mentioned (taken in 2010). We loved Kauai and hope you do, too.

From a zodiac, Na Pali Coast ... you can see people at the base for scale. A bit overexposed due to the sun and a crappy camera.
ImageImage

From the Kalalau Trail (by foot about 1-1.5 miles into the 11 mile trail)

From the Kalalau Lookout (by foot)
Topic Author
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Thanks for the replies. We will probably spend a couple hours and hike down from the Waipio lookout.

Is the Kalalau Trail well marked? We wanted to do the 2 mile hike to Hanakapi'ai then another 2 miles to the Falls.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

DireWolf wrote:Is the Kalalau Trail well marked? We wanted to do the 2 mile hike to Hanakapi'ai then another 2 miles to the Falls.
Yes, you can't miss it. Clearly marked from the parking lot and it's the only trail out there once you get going. There will likely be quite a few people on it. I'd try to avoid doing it after it rained. Unless you're an avid hiker and in great shape, the 8 mile trip will take you the entire day ... start early and bring a pack with water/food. The good news, after the first 2 miles, you come to the beautiful Hanakapi'ai Beach. If you're already tired it's easy to turn back (that's what we did) and call it a day. However, I've heard the Hanakapi'ai Falls are very beautiful.
caseynshan

Post by caseynshan »

Volcano Hike - not easy w/ the kids.. but truly amazing..

http://www.kalapanaculturaltours.com/Lava.html
Randomize

Post by Randomize »

Since you're going to be in the neighborhood already when you visit Rainbow Falls, do yourself a favor and visit the boiling pots. If you're young (or at least spry :P), it's a great spot to for a jump, swim, and climb. Also, Ken's House of Pancakes is the hotspot in Hilo for Spam-infused meals :D
MIGIHIDARI

Post by MIGIHIDARI »

Pacific wrote:Your trip sounds well-planned. I would cancel out Saddle Road which is no big deal (unless you are taking it anyway to get to the Hilo side or from the Hilo side) and would definitely include Waipio Valley Lookout. The Kohala coast area and Waimea-Kamuela is also nice.
Ditto to Saddle road exclusion.
Volcanoes national park is in your plan and that is the best part I remember from our trip.
Enjoy!
cougar310

Post by cougar310 »

If you are in Kona, stop by Safeway, they have the best recipe for Local Poke around (if you want to try the local food of Ahi or Marlin). It,s made fresh daily and called "Spicy Poke" and is a local favorite. I go back just for this alone...
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

cougar310 wrote:If you are in Kona, stop by Safeway, they have the best recipe for Local Poke around (if you want to try the local food of Ahi or Marlin). It,s made fresh daily and called "Spicy Poke" and is a local favorite. I go back just for this alone...
Second that. Their tako poke is also awesome and the first thing I pick up after checking into our condo.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

I would go for KTA poke, myself. Safeway is a mainland store.

And there is way to much driving involved in many of these otherwise worthwhile suggestions. Driving here is not as easy as it is on the mainland. Places are farther apart then simple mileage calculations indicate. Calm down and do fewer things.