Tow away charge, red zone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Tow away charge, red zone

Postby BlueEars » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm

My son got his car towed because the apartment manager called a tow service. He was parked in a red zone. Apparently there was no other notice posted. There was no citation.

When he went to pick up his car the tow service charged him $400 and said if he waited one day more it would go up to $700. He paid since he needs the car to get to work and he could not afford the $700 (let alone the $400). The receipt did not show any official government agency backing -- just some detailing of charges. This is in San Diego.

Do you think this was a legal thing for the apartment manager and particularly the tow service to do? Or was he the victim of a scam?
BlueEars

Re: Tow away charge, red zone

Postby steve88 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Are you sure there is no Posted notice at all? Where in San Diego if you don't mind my asking? I had to help my nephew whose car was towed in RB. $400 is is steep. Usually apartment managers knows the rule before they have cars towed away. Government agency do not have to be involve in this to get your car towed.
Notice is very important when towing your car.
steve88

Postby tyrion » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Here are some specifics for San Diego. Not sure if your son was in the city or the county, but this may apply.

You don't mention if the red zone was a fire lane or blocked the property, but in general there is a one hour waiting period and they must provide photo evidence. No set dollar maximums, alas.
http://www.sandiego.gov/cityattorney/pdf/cepunewsapril10.pdf
tyrion

Postby BlueEars » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:31 pm

steveBB - What I posted is all I know of this incident. I'm trying to help him without being too intrusive -- a delicate balance which I sometimes fail at. :oops:

tyrion - Thanks very much for the newletter link! I will pass this on to my son. He is having some minor financial issues so every bit helps.
BlueEars

Postby widestance » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 pm

He was parked in a red zone. I'm not sure how much more notice he needs not to park there.
The fee's do seem to be pretty high, but I've never been towed so I don't have anything to compare them too.
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
widestance

Postby The Wizard » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 pm

CA charges outrageous fees for lots of things.
It's good to be RICH if you live in CA...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby mike143 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Not your problem. If he feels its unjust, he needs to figure it out. I got towed once, signs were posted and they towed before they started business, I parked in grass instead of taking a parking spot. When I called towing company they told me to call in 30 minutes since my vehicle was still in tow, cost me about $150. I didn't dump it on my parental unit(s), I was still living at "home", I took care of my mistake myself.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Return to Personal Consumer Issues