TaxACT preregistration, $13.95, thru 6/30/13

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

TaxACT preregistration, $13.95, thru 6/30/13

Postby dratkinson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Received this email link offering the preregistration price of $13.95 for 2013 online TaxACT Deluxe federal edition + state. Offer valid through 6/30/13.

https://www.taxactonline.com/s_online_t ... c=Internal

Above link says 2012, but email ad says 2013.
d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Re: TaxACT preregistration, $13.95, thru 6/30/13

Postby gkaplan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 pm

How about two states?
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby dratkinson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:44 pm

gkaplan wrote:How about two states?

TaxACT website wrote:Additional States e-filed or printed using TaxACT Online will be $17.95 each.

When using the TaxACT Online program to prepare your returns you are not charged until the time you choose to print and/or e-file or when you call our Support Center to receive phone support.
d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Postby tibbitts » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Wow, that's annoying. My "special offer" was for $18.95.

Paul
tibbitts

Postby Saving$ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

The $18.95 special offer is for the downloadable software that you install on your computer. You enter your data and save it on a data file that stays on your computer.

The $13.95 special offer is for the online software. You log on and enter all your data online. TaxAct has and saves your data.
Saving$

Postby gkaplan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 pm

The inevitable question comes up: How does TaxAct compare with, and contrast to, TurboTax? What are the pluses and minuses of each?
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Toons » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 am

gkaplan wrote:The inevitable question comes up: How does TaxAct compare with, and contrast to, TurboTax? What are the pluses and minuses of each?

I used Turbo Tax for 10 years until I searched around for a less expensive alternative. That was 5 years go when I switched to Taxact. I have no complaints whatsoever. The interface is easy to navigate,customer service, when needed has been excellent. The price is great also. Just received email offer to lock in 2013 federal income tax for 7.95.I do my state calculations with Taxact software then file directly at State website.You don't pay for Taxact services until you file. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Kalo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 am

I've also used Tax Act for several years now and have no complaints. My return is not complex though, but the interface is very easy to use and it's reasonably priced. I wish my state would set up a place to file on their web site. I was just saying to a friend the other day that I'm surprised (and totally not surprised at the same time) that the IRS has not done something like that.

I had an acquaintance who felt that the IRS should send us a bill each year showing the tax they had calculated we owed. If we agreed, we could simply pay it. If we disagreed then we could file a return. Of course one problem I see with this is: Who's going to help the IRS figure out the tax code? Would they have to hire consulting firms to help them figure out how to calculate the taxes?

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Kalo

Postby mikep » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:43 am

How does taxact compare with Freetaxusa.com? I am thinking of using that one next year but don't see too many comments about them here.
mikep

Postby Toons » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 am

Kalo wrote:I've also used Tax Act for several years now and have no complaints. My return is not complex though, but the interface is very easy to use and it's reasonably priced. I wish my state would set up a place to file on their web site. I was just saying to a friend the other day that I'm surprised (and totally not surprised at the same time) that the IRS has not done something like that.

I had an acquaintance who felt that the IRS should send us a bill each year showing the tax they had calculated we owed. If we agreed, we could simply pay it. If we disagreed then we could file a return. Of course one problem I see with this is: Who's going to help the IRS figure out the tax code? Would they have to hire consulting firms to help them figure out how to calculate the taxes?

Kalo

What State? :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Kalo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Toons wrote:
Kalo wrote:I've also used Tax Act for several years now and have no complaints. My return is not complex though, but the interface is very easy to use and it's reasonably priced. I wish my state would set up a place to file on their web site. I was just saying to a friend the other day that I'm surprised (and totally not surprised at the same time) that the IRS has not done something like that.

Kalo

I'm in Minnesota.
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Kalo

Postby Toons » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Kalo wrote:
Toons wrote:

Kalo

I'm in Minnesota.

FYI:The info below might be of assistance regarding free filing(income threshold) :happy
From Minnesota Dept.Of Revenue
"The tax software below provides free electronic filing of federal and Minnesota returns to qualifying individuals"

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individu ... duals.aspx
Toons

Postby Default User BR » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:34 am

I have always used Taxcut/HR Block At Home. Last year I paid $11.19 for the download version from Amazon.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby jda » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Wait till after new year and it'll drop to $11.95. It has happened every year like a clockwork for the last 3 years.
jda

Postby Mel Lindauer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:18 pm

FWIW, Vanguard offers free Turbo Tax software to certain level clients. I know Flagship clients get it, but I'm not sure if other levels also get it.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby Toons » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:FWIW, Vanguard offers free Turbo Tax software to certain level clients. I know Flagship clients get it, but I'm not sure if other levels also get it.

"Flagship Services and Asset Management Services clients will receive complimentary access to the Federal: Basic, Federal: Deluxe, and State: Basic products." :happy

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax
Toons

Postby lightheir » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Honestly, TaxACT is so inexpensive, that I dont' think it's worth it to buy months in advance just to save what - maybe $6? I used it this past year (online only) - it worked great for my admittedly straightforward return (which my accountant charged me $1000+ for in the last 3 years) and it costed a whopping total of $19 for Fed+state. I even ponied up for the probably unnecessary audit protection scheme where they'll assign you a tax professional if you do get audited, and even with that it was <$40 total.

It was so high bang for the buck that it easily makes it near the top of my 'best value for dollar spent' last year for anything I purchased. (Top honors to that for me go to my cast-iron skillet that was being thrown away by a neighbor - can't beat free and great!)
lightheir

Postby Saving$ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:35 pm

For the particularly OCD amongst us, prepaying gets you a preview version in October. I've used the preview for the last few years to do my end of year tax planning, and it has saved me more than I what I spent. This is particularly important for me as I am generally right on the cusp of two cut offs, and I can easily shift a bit of income /expense from one year to the next.
Saving$

Postby Toons » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm

lightheir wrote:Honestly, TaxACT is so inexpensive, that I dont' think it's worth it to buy months in advance just to save what - maybe $6? I used it this past year (online only) - it worked great for my admittedly straightforward return (which my accountant charged me $1000+ for in the last 3 years) and it costed a whopping total of $19 for Fed+state. I even ponied up for the probably unnecessary audit protection scheme where they'll assign you a tax professional if you do get audited, and even with that it was <$40 total.

It was so high bang for the buck that it easily makes it near the top of my 'best value for dollar spent' last year for anything I purchased. (Top honors to that for me go to my cast-iron skillet that was being thrown away by a neighbor - can't beat free and great!)

Hey now,,I've prepaid the last 3 years,thats 18 buckaroos,,we talking some serious change here :sharebeer
Toons

Return to Personal Consumer Issues