Replace Outdated Appliance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Replace Outdated Appliance?

Postby Lai0703 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 pm

My stove and fridge are probably 17 years old and look and work perfectly fine. I'm embarrassed to say I hardly cook so that's why the stove looks so great. But they are dated and ugly. White fridge, black and white stove. I did replace my dishwasher recently and bought a black Bosch to match the stove.

I plan to stay in my home for awhile (or rent it out). I am close to retirement and feel like I should save my cash. I also feel guilty getting rid of perfectly good appliances. What do you think?
Lai0703

Re: Replace Outdated Appliance?

Postby obgraham » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 pm

If you replace them because they are worn out after 17 years of service, you're being frugal, i.e. a Boglehead.

If you replace them because you want something looking better, that's okay too, but that's in the "impulse buying" category, i.e. an anti=Boglehead.
obgraham

Postby frugaltype » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Lai0703 wrote:My stove and fridge are probably 17 years old and look and work perfectly fine. I'm embarrassed to say I hardly cook so that's why the stove looks so great. But they are dated and ugly. White fridge, black and white stove. I did replace my dishwasher recently and bought a black Bosch to match the stove.

I plan to stay in my home for awhile (or rent it out). I am close to retirement and feel like I should save my cash. I also feel guilty getting rid of perfectly good appliances. What do you think?

Why did you match the stove if you think the stove is ugly?

If you hardly cook, you're not in the kitchen for long, right? So you don't have to look at them. You may also find that new ones are not as reliable.

Black and white stove, I hope you're not talking about getting rid of a classic Wedgewood or O'Keefe & Merritt, for example. If so, at least give someone else a chance to buy it via craigslist.
frugaltype

Postby stan1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:39 pm

There may be energy savings to come with replacing the refrigerator since it runs all the time whether you cook or not (although the mid-90s is when more efficient units started to become available so you may not get huge savings, depending upon the model you have).
stan1

Postby tibbitts » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Ah, black... I guess black and stainless steel are the harvest gold and avocado green of this generation.

Seriously though, probably whether you replace them depends on the rest of the house, whether you're going to move, etc. We've replaced all three of those in the last 7 years (with white, of course - the obvious choice), and the newest appliance is already broken (the icemaker in the fridge), but the range and the diswasher were both broken before being replaced. The old fridge was broken, too - but only the icemaker, of course. It didn't make ice at all, whereas the new one now makes it and dumps it into the door bin - you just have to open the door and scoop it out.

If you have the 80's bathrooms and 80's kitchen in our house, you might need to put money elsewhere - I can attest to thefact that appliances alone won't cut it. Actually the one bathroom isn't bad - the one with the white countertop, of course. The blue countertops in the other one are decidedly dated.

Paul
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tibbitts

Postby CABob » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:59 pm

It sort of depends on the value you put on ugly vs. attractive. Generally I think you might consider replacing the refer since the improved energy efficiency might make it worthwhile. Stoves on the other hand haven't improved or changed much and I would lean toward keeping it. Does it have electronic ignition and self cleaning?
Bob
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Postby Mrs.Feeley » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't think I would replace the stove. But you may want to measure the refrigerator and make a few visits to local appliance stores to see what they offer and if they tend to have in stock friges of the dimensions that you will need. Since the refrigerator is 17 years old you may wake up one day to find a big puddle on the kitchen floor. If that happens what is the likelihood that you will be able to replace the refrigerator within a few days? Our old refrigerator spot in the kitchen is of odd dimensions and I've been told it would take 2-3 weeks to order a replacement frig to fit in that spot.

There was another thread around here recently about replacing refrigerators. Some suggested holding on to one's old refrigerator until they give up the ghost because new ones these days tend not to last very long.
Mrs.Feeley

Postby cheese_breath » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm

I don't know about stoves, but fridges are a lot more efficient than they were 17 years ago. When I replaced my 20 year old fridge last year I estimated a 5 1/2 year payback in electricity savings. I haven't tried to track the numbers since then, but I have noticed my electrical bill is less each month (in the double digits) than it was with the old fridge.
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby btenny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Don't do it unless you redo the whole kitchen with new everything including new appliances and new cabinets and new flooring and new countertops and so forth for much of that area of the house. I mean anything short of a full blown home remodel will never be super nice and you will notice it. So anything short of spending big bucks may not work out well IMO.... I did partial redo like you are thinking about in 2005 and it never felt really nice for either of us even though it looks a lot better and cooks OK. So now 8 years later and my wife talks and hints regularly about a second remodel....

Bill
btenny

Postby bungalow10 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Do you think you would cook more if you had a better stove? If not, then I'd probably leave it.

The refrigerator I would consider replacing, but then again if it ain't broke then don't fix it. I can attest that new appliances are not made as well as the old ones. We still regret replacing our old dishwasher.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby CABob » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:35 pm

btenny wrote:Don't do it unless you redo the whole kitchen with new everything including new appliances and new cabinets and new flooring and new countertops and so forth for much of that area of the house. I mean anything short of a full blown home remodel will never be super nice and you will notice it. So anything short of spending big bucks may not work out well IMO.... I did partial redo like you are thinking about in 2005 and it never felt really nice for either of us even though it looks a lot better and cooks OK. So now 8 years later and my wife talks and hints regularly about a second remodel....

Bill

Isn't this a bit drastic (and expensive) since the OP was only asking about replacing a couple of appliances?
Bob
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Postby cheese_breath » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:46 pm

btenny wrote:Don't do it unless you redo the whole kitchen with new everything including new appliances and new cabinets and new flooring and new countertops and so forth for much of that area of the house. I mean anything short of a full blown home remodel will never be super nice and you will notice it. So anything short of spending big bucks may not work out well IMO.... I did partial redo like you are thinking about in 2005 and it never felt really nice for either of us even though it looks a lot better and cooks OK. So now 8 years later and my wife talks and hints regularly about a second remodel....

Bill

And while you're at it you might as well redo the bathrooms too so all the cabinets and hardware match.
cheese_breath

Postby Ged » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm

cheese_breath wrote:

Bill

And while you're at it you might as well redo the bathrooms too so all the cabinets and hardware match.

Even then the house itself will look outmoded. Might as well do a teardown.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Ged

Postby Lai0703 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. If I replace anything now it will be the fridge because it makes weird noises now and again. Since the dishwasher is black and the stove is black (front of oven) and white (stove top), I guess I should go with a black fridge? I do like stainless steel and white seems so sterile. And yes, the rest of the kitchen is dated -- big tile counterops but again, they are in very good shape.
Lai0703

Postby cheese_breath » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Ged wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

Bill

Even then the house itself will look outmoded. Might as well do a teardown.

But after you rebuild, the new house will probably be too classy for the neighborhood. Might as well start checking out the upscale neighborhoods for another home now.

ps: Make sure it has new appliances.
cheese_breath

Postby inbox788 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Lai0703 wrote:Thanks for the replies. If I replace anything now it will be the fridge because it makes weird noises now and again. Since the dishwasher is black and the stove is black (front of oven) and white (stove top), I guess I should go with a black fridge? I do like stainless steel and white seems so sterile. And yes, the rest of the kitchen is dated -- big tile counterops but again, they are in very good shape.

I was going to say keep the fridge unless there's good enough reasons to replace it. Power savings can be modest, so that helps the case to replace, but I can attest to newer refrigerators not lasting as long as before. Older appliances would last at least 10-20 years. Today, I think it's 5-10 years. My last fridge went after 7 years and 3 repairs late in life. Don't expect current refrigerator to make it much more.
inbox788

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Modern stoves seem to keel over very quickly, usually some component in the electronic control panel goes and then you're basically having to replace the "motherboard" of the stove, for a very high cost. This is why I've kept my 1970s "harvest gold" GE double oven and cooktop. They're ugly as all get out, but they work and they'll likely keep on working for another decade or so.
Mudpuppy

Postby ieee488 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:41 am

Lai0703 wrote:My stove and fridge are probably 17 years old and look and work perfectly fine. I'm embarrassed to say I hardly cook so that's why the stove looks so great. But they are dated and ugly. White fridge, black and white stove. I did replace my dishwasher recently and bought a black Bosch to match the stove.

My mom's house was older than yours (~30 years) when she sold it recently. Original beige GE appliances.
She did not replace, because she believed that the new owners would want to put in what they want anyway.
ieee488

Postby DiscoBunny1979 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Lai0703 wrote:Thanks for the replies. If I replace anything now it will be the fridge because it makes weird noises now and again. Since the dishwasher is black and the stove is black (front of oven) and white (stove top), I guess I should go with a black fridge? I do like stainless steel and white seems so sterile. And yes, the rest of the kitchen is dated -- big tile counterops but again, they are in very good shape.

----------

Of course a fridge is a fridge - wrong. If you do plan on replacing the refrigerator and since you had to ask if they make a black fridge, which means you haven't been shopping for appliances in decades, I suggest before going out and purchasing the latest and greatest, that you measure the opening of the space in which the current refrigerator resides and if you do not plan on remodeling that section of the kitchen, only buy a refrigerator that can fit comfortably in the opening. Many new refrigerators require a full 36" opening to comfortably fit as the measurement side to side might be something like 35 5/8". . . and that's of course for a standard new style refrigerator for the standard home. You should also measure the height of the opening for replacing older refrigerators. Another consideration is water for icemaker/water on demand and whether new features like internet connectivity/cable TV in door/hot water would be required with the purchase.
DiscoBunny1979

Postby Watty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Just FYI for people that might be reading this.

The original poster has already replaced the dishwasher but if nothing else you should replace your dishwasher hoses periodically since they are usually just glorified garden hoses that get old and are subject to failure. Ten years is probably too long to wait on this but definitely if they are more than ten years old you should replace them.
Watty

Postby btenny » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm

You other guys need to read the OP original post. He does not "like" the looks or feel his kitchen, it is "dated and ugly". Nothing is broken or needs fixing and the only issue is a little noise. And inf act he does not even cook much. He just wants good looks. And the only way to get really "good looks" is to do everything. Anything else like replacing a refrigerator or stove makes little difference and the whole kitchen will still be "dated" IMO.

This situation is sort of like the trophy wife to replace a older wife versus buying your current wife a face lift.

Please read and think first guys.
Bill
btenny

Postby Mudpuppy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm

btenny wrote:You other guys need to read the OP original post. He does not "like" the looks or feel his kitchen, it is "dated and ugly". Nothing is broken or needs fixing and the only issue is a little noise. And inf act he does not even cook much. He just wants good looks. And the only way to get really "good looks" is to do everything. Anything else like replacing a refrigerator or stove makes little difference and the whole kitchen will still be "dated" IMO.

This situation is sort of like the trophy wife to replace a older wife versus buying your current wife a face lift.

Please read and think first guys.
Bill

You should also read the OP's post history.... "he" is likely a "she" since she reported having her purse stolen in another recent thread. If one intends to be critical, one should have all the facts at hand after all.

And noise could indeed be an issue in the fridge if it indicates issues with the cooling coils or compressor, although perhaps not a fatal issue at the moment. It is worth at least seeing if there would be replacement issues, such as unusual cutout size in the cabinets for the fridge, which might pose a problem if the fridge should suddenly break. Of course, I would look for a black top or bottom freezer fridge, not a stainless french door fridge, to better go along with the older style kitchen and to be more cost-effective. Such models also tend to fit better in the older kitchens since they more closely match the dimensions of older fridges.
Mudpuppy

Postby Default User BR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Watty wrote:The original poster has already replaced the dishwasher but if nothing else you should replace your dishwasher hoses periodically since they are usually just glorified garden hoses that get old and are subject to failure. Ten years is probably too long to wait on this but definitely if they are more than ten years old you should replace them.

When I installed the new dishwasher, I used a steel-mesh water line. The drain hose is just plastic, but it's not really under pressure so I worry about that nearly as much.

Brian
Default User BR

Return to Personal Consumer Issues