Just got a promotion....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Just got a promotion....

Postby Vanner » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Good news, I got a promotion at work to a specialized part of the system. Something I am very proud to have achieved and frankly, know little about. But, the guy who is supposed to train me in and is on his way out (retiring within a year) just had (another) heart attack and might not be coming back. That is bad because I only have 1.5 weeks of training with him, and now I am trying to cram info into my head while still running around the city working. So now, the guy who I want to take my cues from is basically gone, now I need to come up with it on my own. :( And have you ever noticed that reading about a field in a book and then applying it to the real world is not always easy? Lucky me.
Vanner

Re: Just got a promotion....

Postby bottomfisher » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 am

Vanner wrote:Good news, I got a promotion at work to a specialized part of the system. Something I am very proud to have achieved and frankly, know little about. But, the guy who is supposed to train me in and is on his way out (retiring within a year) just had (another) heart attack and might not be coming back. That is bad because I only have 1.5 weeks of training with him, and now I am trying to cram info into my head while still running around the city working. So now, the guy who I want to take my cues from is basically gone, now I need to come up with it on my own. :( And have you ever noticed that reading about a field in a book and then applying it to the real world is not always easy? Lucky me.

Inspirational quote - "Fake it, 'till you make it"
bottomfisher

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 am

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Rodc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:58 am

This seems to happen a lot.

FWIW: every 4 or 5 years I seem to move into something new. I feel really stupid for a while, I wonder why I am doing this to myself, then get ever more comfortable, then start to get a little bored, then move on, feel really stupid for a while, wonder why I did this to myself again, get more comfortable... I guess I am a slow learner. :)

You will feel stupid for a while. It is uncomfortable. It is good for you.

Best of luck and congratulations.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Postby stan1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am

What you have is an opportunity to excel. The human mind grows by being challenged with new things. Run with the opportunity, be creative, and challenge the status quo. There is always a better way to do something.
stan1

Postby prudent » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:32 am

I also think this can be a great opportunity when you aren't indoctrinated by what the previous person did. But it's critical in a situation like this to be certain you know what the expectations are from your new manager. And manage those expectations as you ramp up in the new job.

I once got promoted into a managerial spot running a group I knew (almost) nothing about. The previous manager was reassigned within the company and spent a day with me to explain what the key issues were. A couple weeks later, after talking to everyone in the group one-on-one, I went back to my new manager and asked what the expectations were, and his expectations were not anything like what the previous guy told me were the key issues. A couple months later I met with my new manager again and said now that I have a better understanding of what's going on, I can do X, Y and Z but not A or B. We compromised in the middle and were both very satisfied with the results.

If the lack of mentoring will affect your ability to perform at the level of the last person, make sure you communicate with your manager what you can and can't do and have some suggestions on how the things you can't do could be addressed.

And congrats on the promotion!
prudent

Postby bungalow10 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 am

Congratulations! You obviously have the ability to do the work, you just need to approach it with an open mind and fresh set of eyes.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby sometimesinvestor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:32 am

In almost any job featuring a promotion with new duties you are underpaid for a few months or years (you have to work extra hard to understand and learn what you need to know, you are correctly paid for a few years (You are on top of the job and do it well) and you are overpaid (you have become stale and treat the work as routine). The precise time in each phase may vary. Anyway all you can do is to try your best to "do the right thing"
Good luck and we all recognize it might not be easy
sometimesinvestor

Postby Vanner » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is interesting work, and fun times when I discover more work that is overdue. but like you said, the manager is giving me a long leash and has a lot of understanding for my position. So I feel good about the situation.
Vanner

Postby TodB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:00 pm

I stepped into a similar situation years ago when I took on a job. I was in "a bit" over my head. It was hard and very rewarding at the same time. You will learn a lot, time will fly by and you will look back on this transition very fondly in later years. Keep your superiors well informed on your progress, i.e. manage up, so that they know what progress you are making. If you have an opportunity to get a mentor, do it. Bust most of all, enjoy it!

As I keep telling my Sons, do what you like, do what you like, ...
TodB

Postby Vanner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 pm

More time has gone by and I am becoming a little more comfortable in my new skin. I still have a lot to learn, but now I feel that I can handle it, and just completed 2 huge jobs in the last few weeks that have been due for a year. Now I can relax a little and make the job my own. I liked the comment about "managing up." I think that will help. Also the "fake it till you make it" quote has really helped me, seriously.
Vanner

Postby kingpoppy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Act like you know.
kingpoppy

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 pm

I routinely moved into positions that hadn't existed before, due to reorganizations, mergers and such.

Learn from your employees, ask your manager what he expects, and learn as much as you can about the business around you.

Your managers have faith in you. Learn the job and you won't let them down.
Steelersfan

Postby Meaty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Vanner wrote:Good news, I got a promotion at work to a specialized part of the system. Something I am very proud to have achieved and frankly, know little about. But, the guy who is supposed to train me in and is on his way out (retiring within a year) just had (another) heart attack and might not be coming back. That is bad because I only have 1.5 weeks of training with him, and now I am trying to cram info into my head while still running around the city working. So now, the guy who I want to take my cues from is basically gone, now I need to come up with it on my own. :( And have you ever noticed that reading about a field in a book and then applying it to the real world is not always easy? Lucky me.

They hired you for a reason, right? You're the right person for the job so don't sweat it. Plus, if your manager is worth his/her salt he/she won't hang you out to dry or expect you to be fully knowledgable immediately; especially given the circumstances.

Congrats
Meaty

Postby slick_dealer_05 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm

OP, something similar happened with me earlier this year.

The old guru (30+ year my senior) is retiring and too busy with other things in his life.
Company gave me the user manual and said "you are the new subject matter expert now".
So now I am circumnavigating around the world, teaching courses, giving talks at symposiums, collecting datasets,interpreting and learning at a fast pace.
Fake it till you make it!
slick_dealer_05

Postby Vanner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 pm

slick_dealer_05 wrote:OP, something similar happened with me earlier this year.

The old guru (30+ year my senior) is retiring and too busy with other things in his life.
Company gave me the user manual and said "you are the new subject matter expert now".
So now I am circumnavigating around the world, teaching courses, giving talks at symposiums, collecting datasets,interpreting and learning at a fast pace.
Fake it till you make it!

Well at least I don't have to try to teach others! People often ask me what I do all day (because they assume I don't have anything to do, but the truth is, I am really busy.) It's so frustrating!
Vanner

Postby abuss368 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Do you have any networks, support forums online, or professional affiliations that can provide support and guidance?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby Vanner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Yes, I have a consultant I can ask questions and get help from. There is also a professional organization that provides some training. I will be OK.
Vanner

Return to Personal Consumer Issues