Ordering a new vehicle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Ordering a new vehicle

Postby Barefootgirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 pm

It appears the Toyota I am seeking is not easily found locally in the exact color and trim level, etc.

I am not in a hurry for the vehicle, although my state sales tax will increase by 1% on July 1.

When the salesperson calls back, I'd like to suggest I place an order for it.

I've never done this - what is typical - to give some kind of deposit?

I suppose I should insist on some kind of out clause if the vehicle doesn't arrive say within 90 days or whatever
the factory lead time is....

thoughts? suggestions?

Thank you, BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Re: Ordering a new vehicle

Postby The Wizard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

I've done DOMESTIC factory orders on a minivan, a convertible, and a pickup truck over the years and will probably do it again before long.
Never heard of doing it for a vehicle assembled outside North America, except maybe for European foreign delivery.
Check with a couple of different Toyota dealerships and see if this is for real first...

Sometimes dealers will TRADE new cars with another dealer to get the color a picky buyer wants; I've heard of that being done...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Oftentimes a manufacturer will have links to each dealer (and their inventory will be searchable). You might spend some time online working in an ever-widening circle around your location. If you find something that looks right, send an email to the internet sales office of that dealer to ask for pricing. You already know the general aspects of what the car will be like, so you can negotiate the deal (and get a *final* all-up price with everything included) before you go pick up the car. All you really need to verify on picking up is that the car is ready to go and matches the window sticker (which you should have already seen online).
curmudgeon

Postby jeffyscott » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 pm

When we ordered a car (VW) in 2005 they just wanted a $50 (refundable) deposit. There was no need for a special clause, since the deposit was refundable.

As it turned out another dealer 70 miles away happened to have the exact car we wanted about a month earlier, we gave the first dealer the opportunity to match the price (or come close enough that it was not worth driving to the other dealer), they would not so we got the car at the second dealer and then got our $50 back.

I think usually an order is really order/locate and often a car can be traded with another dealer or cars that will soon be on their way can be redirected to different dealers.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby The Wizard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 pm

jeffyscott wrote:...I think usually an order is really order/locate and often a car can be traded with another dealer or cars that will soon be on their way can be redirected to different dealers.

For cars assembled overseas, yes.
For Fords made in the US, you get to pick/choose every option and it's made to order...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby jsl11 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 pm

When I bought my most recent Toyota, the dealer exchanged cars with another dealer. In fact, when looking at the various papers that came with the car, it appeared that it was exchanged more than once. The "new" car even had about 500 miles on it, because the dealers drive the cars when they do exchanges. I wasn't happy about the 500 miles. However I got a good deal, the car was exactly what I wanted, including the color, and I also got a trim option for free. I have had the car for 3 1/2 years now and it has been absolutely great. I have been very happy with it. The dealer should be able to tell you what car he can get. If having a few hundred miles on it is a problem for you, you can write into the contract that you will not accept a car with more than a number of miles you select. Ordering a car from the factory is another possibility. However, the last time I ordered one was 1999 and that experience may not be relevant today.
Jeff
jsl11

Postby Barefootgirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks - I am hearing the same story from a few dealers in the area (have been talking to like 7 or 8 in this major metro area)...so I am thinking this particular, model, trim line, etc. may be popular.

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby Toons » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:It appears the Toyota I am seeking is not easily found locally in the exact color and trim level, etc.

I am not in a hurry for the vehicle, although my state sales tax will increase by 1% on July 1.

When the salesperson calls back, I'd like to suggest I place an order for it.

I've never done this - what is typical - to give some kind of deposit?

I suppose I should insist on some kind of out clause if the vehicle doesn't arrive say within 90 days or whatever
the factory lead time is....

thoughts? suggestions

Thank you, BFG

I recently purchased a Honda CRV.I emailed 5 dealerships for out the door quotes ,listing exactly what I wanted on the car. 2 dealers came back with quotes that were close,neither one had the car on the lot but said it would take 3 days to get the car I was looking for.Chose the dealer with lowest quote ,they found the car I was looking for ,they put 250 miles on the CRV as they had to pick it up,
Mileage did not bother me. I did very good on out the door price by submitting price quotes to various dealerships,,,Don't be too eager,stay patient in the buying process. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby eucalyptus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 pm

We have ordered both US and foreign made vehicles.

In general, we've found that, if what you want is pretty close to whatever sells easily - in terms of options and color - not much of a deposit is required. If, however, you are ordering your car in paint to sample neon pink, the dealer may want a huge deposit - knowing that, if you renege, he may have a hard time finding another buyer.

I don't know how Toyota deals with special orders, but it can't be the first time they've had such a request. Lots of car people want things just so.
eucalyptus

Postby dm200 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I strongly suspect that if the car you want exists somewhere, that dealer can find/get it.

When we bought our Chrysler minivan a few years ago, we were somewhat fussy about the exact options, color, etc. Seeing that getting the exact car (or almost exact one) was absolutely necessary to make the sale, the dealer found one being shipped from the factory to another dealership several states away. We made the deal, and they intercepted the car and rerouted it. We picked it up 2-3 days later.
dm200

Postby jeffyscott » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 pm

For most models it looks like it is too late to actually order a 2013 and too early to order a 2014:

http://www.phharval.com/home/news-and-m ... fleet-cars
(I'm assuming the fleet dates are not different from those for regular orders)

As someone had mentioned the manufacturer does have a search inventory feature: http://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 am

In my case, it is a 2013 Toyota RAV 4, just introduced in January.

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby stan1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 am

Is the dealer telling you they can't get it without doing a special order, or are you searching online inventory yourself? You'll need to communicate with a dealer. Create a disposable email address. Send the local dealers an email asking for a quote for exactly what you want and then let them come back with a proposal. Delete the disposable email account after you have bought the car.
stan1

Postby Groundhog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

I am in the process of purchasing a 2014 Subaru Forester. They are tough to get in certain trim lines and I opted to order one as none were found in my configuration within the 70+ dealers my local dealer works with. I was told it would take 6 to 18 weeks to get. I am currently at 7 weeks and the latest estimate is an August delivery. The Foresters are built in Japan (the Outback and Legacy are built in Indiana). The wait doesn’t bother me as we have other vehicles to use.

BFG: If you haven’t already you may want to check out the Forester. It’s newly designed for 2014 and received the top crash test rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. With the new CVT transmission it’s rated at 24 city/32 highway. With the Subaru VIP program (available to anyone who becomes a member of one of Subaru’s partner organizations) you get a no haggle price of 2% under invoice. The vehicle and all options were priced at 2% under invoice.
Groundhog

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:10 am

That's an odd search tool. I go through the steps of telling it exactly what I am looking for, then instead of showing me what is available in my area - it just sends me to my closest dealer? I am already in contact with the local dealer, the one who claims to be looking for one, for me.

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 am

That new Forester looks quite similar to the RAV 4....how do these generally do on resale value? do they hold well?

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby Groundhog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:That new Forester looks quite similar to the RAV 4....how do these generally do on resale value? do they hold well?

Thanks, BFG

I don't have any real experience but apparently they do quite well in resale as Kiplinger's Personal Finance recently awarded them: "Subaru Forester 2.5X recognized for “Best Resale” among small crossovers". Some other tidbits...The 2014 Forester was also highly rated in the July 2013 Consumer Reports and May 2013 was Subaru's best sales month in company history.

One further comment to my previous post about the Subaru VIP program, I believe you have to be a member for 6 months before you are eligible for the VIP pricing. We bought a Legacy in 2008 w/VIP pricing and this 2014 Forester will be our 2nd Subaru. It will replace a 1998 Honda CRV that served us well for 15 years and will be passed down to a nephew.
Groundhog

Postby deanbrew » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm

I don't know about Toyota, but I ordered a Subaru Legacy from the (Indiana) factory. I was told it would take anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks to get, depending on when the factory was producing the model and trim level I wanted. If I recall, it took about 6 weeks to get mine. My dealer took a $500 deposit, but it was fully refundable if I didn't take the car.

I second the idea of looking at the Subaru Outback and Forester, if you are looking at the RAV-4. And, yes, Subaru cars hold their value very well.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
deanbrew

Postby cyfan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:13 pm

My wife ordered a RAV4 in 2010 as she was very picky about everything like color, engine choice, FWD, trim line etc, and it did not take any longer to get it than a domestic brand. If I recall it was assembled in Canada as many of the foreign name plates have assembly plants in North America. I don't remember the exact time frame but it was a few weeks, not months. I do recall that it did not come from another dealer.
cyfan

Postby MnD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 pm

The Toyota dealer can go on line and see future production and delivery schedules.
Exactly what I wanted was already scheduled to be built about a month out and would have been delivered to another dealership about 7 weeks out.
We negotiated on price and when that was concluded, they did something on-line and had it redirected it to their dealership.

I did sign a purchase contract when I ordered it, but they did not ask for a deposit and I did not provide one.
The called in about 7 weeks when it arrived and I stopped buy, paid for it and drove off.
Most hassle-free buying experience ever.
MnD

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi,

The salesperson has agreed to meet with me in order to place an order.

I hope the negotiated price goes into the order so that when the car actually comes in, there are no surprises?

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 pm

I can now see why we had a thread here a couple weeks ago about getting rid of car dealerships.

I negotiated a deal by email this week, then went in this morning to place the order and they tried to sell me a different model. :oops:

When I told them that I was firm with what I wanted, they offered to take the order, but not honor the negotiated price.

I walked. What a complete waste of my time!

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby btenny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Did you tell the dealer manager in person that you had a FIRM offer in writting via email?? I suspect that the person you talked to did not know or care if you had this firm offer in writting. Go back and tell the highest level boss of you situation and your TV plans. Any good dealers will honor this type of offer. If they do not honor the "deal" then go directly to the nearest local TV station and discuss with the news progam people about how this dealer will not honor there firm commitments and see what happens....

All the places I live have special TV segment reports on the evening news about "KXYZ on your side helping consumers" that broadcast bad apples treating local customers badly and how they behave. It makes wonderful shock TV and usually ends with the merchant caving and fixing the broken deal and paying even more to make the customer happy. In your case I bet the dealer can be forced to honor the email deal and give you say $500 more off his email offer......

Good Luck
Bill
btenny

Postby fishnskiguy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Do exactly what btenny says. The dealer's actions are unacceptable, and I'm sure if you collar somebody higher up the food chain, they will honor the commitment.

90 days on a special order may not be long enough. When we special ordered my wife's Audi A-3 it took four months to get the car.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
fishnskiguy

Postby dm200 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I can now see why we had a thread here a couple weeks ago about getting rid of car dealerships.

I negotiated a deal by email this week, then went in this morning to place the order and they tried to sell me a different model. :oops:

When I told them that I was firm with what I wanted, they offered to take the order, but not honor the negotiated price.

I walked. What a complete waste of my time!

BFG

Was there any explanation of why they refused to honor the deal you made? Was there any time limit or other conditions (that you did not meet) in the email commitment?
dm200

Postby Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:30 pm

They took my credit card to process the transaction, then returned with a credit card receipt - no order copy, no details, nothing.

I asked for a copy of the order with the terms and pricing and car specs, and they said there was no sale today, only a deposit to hold the next one coming in of that type....they told me the sale would not be made until the car actually arrived - but of course by then, the price would not be valid since the factory incentives that went into that price would have expired by that time.

I called the manager over and he repeated the same speech....I was so upset, I just left....so they had a customer, ready to pay, ready to place an order and would not take my business.

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby birdy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:53 pm

I had a bad experience the last time I ordered a car to be made for me. I negotiated on line for the price and then went to the dealer to do the final paperwork. I gave them a deposit and was told it would take 2-3 months. After 2 months I called the dealership to check on the status of the car. I was told it would be another 4 weeks. After 3 months of waiting, I called them and they told me the same thing. I then went to the dealership in person to find out what was really going on with the order. The dealership had fired the salesman I negotiated with and I was told that he didn't charge me enough for the car so they never ordered it from the factory. When I ask them where my deposit was, I was told they "shredded it". I ask them why every time I had called to check up on the car that they continued to tell me it was just taking longer than anticipated to get the car. They had no answer. When I origionally went into the dealership to sign paperwork, there was a person standing outside the dealership with a sign saying don't buy a car here! I should have stopped and talked to him in hindsight! I had ordered a car once before (not with this dealer) and had no problems at all.

The dealership lost my business and I told everyone I knew what they had done to me! I still boil when I think about how I was treated. I am a woman and I did all this without help from my husband. Perhaps they treated me this way because I was a woman?? I just know that they delayed me replacing my old car I had been driving which had become unreliable.

birdy
birdy

Postby jsl11 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 pm

birdy wrote:I had a bad experience the last time I ordered a car to be made for me. I negotiated on line for the price and then went to the dealer to do the final paperwork. I gave them a deposit and was told it would take 2-3 months. After 2 months I called the dealership to check on the status of the car. I was told it would be another 4 weeks. After 3 months of waiting, I called them and they told me the same thing. I then went to the dealership in person to find out what was really going on with the order. The dealership had fired the salesman I negotiated with and I was told that he didn't charge me enough for the car so they never ordered it from the factory. When I ask them where my deposit was, I was told they "shredded it". I ask them why every time I had called to check up on the car that they continued to tell me it was just taking longer than anticipated to get the car. They had no answer. When I origionally went into the dealership to sign paperwork, there was a person standing outside the dealership with a sign saying don't buy a car here! I should have stopped and talked to him in hindsight! I had ordered a car once before (not with this dealer) and had no problems at all.

The dealership lost my business and I told everyone I knew what they had done to me! I still boil when I think about how I was treated. I am a woman and I did all this without help from my husband. Perhaps they treated me this way because I was a woman?? I just know that they delayed me replacing my old car I had been driving which had become unreliable.

birdy
It can work either way. I once had a car ordered and it came in with an expensive extra option that I had not ordered. They asked me to pay for it, and I refused. I got the car anyway. Another time, the salesman made a mistake on my purchase and undercharged me. The dealer asked me to pay more and I told him we had a signed deal and that was all I expected to pay. He honored the deal.
Jeff
jsl11

Postby livesoft » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:19 pm

jsl11 wrote:It can work either way. I once had a car ordered and it came in with an expensive extra option that I had not ordered. They asked me to pay for it, and I refused. I got the car anyway.

My spouse ordered a Toyota back in the mid-90s. It came with extra crap options that they then asked her to pay for. She refused. She got the car anyway.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby inbox788 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:42 pm

birdy wrote:I had a bad experience the last time I ordered a car to be made for me. I negotiated on line for the price and then went to the dealer to do the final paperwork. I gave them a deposit and was told it would take 2-3 months. After 2 months I called the dealership to check on the status of the car. I was told it would be another 4 weeks. After 3 months of waiting, I called them and they told me the same thing. I then went to the dealership in person to find out what was really going on with the order. The dealership had fired the salesman I negotiated with and I was told that he didn't charge me enough for the car so they never ordered it from the factory. When I ask them where my deposit was, I was told they "shredded it". I ask them why every time I had called to check up on the car that they continued to tell me it was just taking longer than anticipated to get the car. They had no answer. When I origionally went into the dealership to sign paperwork, there was a person standing outside the dealership with a sign saying don't buy a car here! I should have stopped and talked to him in hindsight! I had ordered a car once before (not with this dealer) and had no problems at all.

birdy

Did you receive any paperwork for the order? What was the language of the contract? No contract? No deal.
Car dealers can be sleazy and even today, there are still out there proving the point. Many are decent, but it's a dirty cut-throat business. They'll lie and steal to get you to buy a car, any car. No deal is final until after all the paper work is done, and possibly after that.
inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:They took my credit card to process the transaction, then returned with a credit card receipt - no order copy, no details, nothing.

I asked for a copy of the order with the terms and pricing and car specs, and they said there was no sale today, only a deposit to hold the next one coming in of that type....they told me the sale would not be made until the car actually arrived - but of course by then, the price would not be valid since the factory incentives that went into that price would have expired by that time.

I called the manager over and he repeated the same speech....I was so upset, I just left....so they had a customer, ready to pay, ready to place an order and would not take my business.

BFG

That's NOT "Ordering a new vehicle". Wait till you have to deal with the service department :oops:

I would just buy a Forester, Escape or a CRV, take a nice picture, and send a nice letter with it to the CEO of Toyota telling them how this dealership and which manager and salesperson helped you so much in buying your brand new car.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... pact-SUVs/

Companies have to realize that they're not losing just one sale here. If you don't ever buy another Toyota, they could be losing several future sales. If your relatives don't buy one because of your poor experience, even more friends don't buy, and you share your poor experiences on board like these or facebook, you could impact hundreds of sales. Your experience makes me less likely to consider Toyota along with failing brakes in the dislike column.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-car-bran ... l?page=all

Aside, but I hope Ford brings the EcoSport to the US.
http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2013-ecosport/
Last edited by inbox788 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inbox788

Postby Kalo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:56 pm

The last time I bought a car I used a broker (my credit union had given me a brochure for them). The broker did all the leg work and then I just went to pick up the car. Worked very nicely. But now I've lost the name of the broker. They might have gone out of business. I believe I got a very good price because I went independently to dealers and could not get near the price the broker had gotten me. The best part was just not having to deal with the sleazy car salesmen.

Good luck, BFG. I feel for you. I can't even stomach the thought of going to a dealership to shop.

If anyone knows of a pain free way to buy I car I'd like to know what it is.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Kalo

Postby dm200 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Kalo wrote:The last time I bought a car I used a broker (my credit union had given me a brochure for them). The broker did all the leg work and then I just went to pick up the car. Worked very nicely. But now I've lost the name of the broker. They might have gone out of business. I believe I got a very good price because I went independently to dealers and could not get near the price the broker had gotten me. The best part was just not having to deal with the sleazy car salesmen.

Good luck, BFG. I feel for you. I can't even stomach the thought of going to a dealership to shop.

If anyone knows of a pain free way to buy I car I'd like to know what it is.

Kalo

For those in the Washington DC - Baltimore MD area, United Buyers Service is a fantastic way to buy a car. http://www.ubs4cars.com/

You contact UBS, get a FREE voucher and UBS tells you which dealer to go to (for the brand you have chosen) and which sales person at that dealership. You get a no-haggle price based on the prices in their book (that you can see) at $100 over the "wholesale" (whatever that is). A very nice feature is that you do not pay that nasty $250-$400 (processing fee). I have purchase several cars this way, and one where they offered to match the UBS price. You need to be an employee of a participating employer or group or member of a participating credit union. It is all 100% FREE!
dm200

Postby Toons » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:They took my credit card to process the transaction, then returned with a credit card receipt - no order copy, no details, nothing.

BFG

Did you get your deposit money back?
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby stan1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:07 pm

BFG

I'm no fan of auto "stealerships", but if the issue was a factory incentive that's expiring your issue may be with the manufacturer -- not the dealership.
stan1

Postby Barefootgirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 am

I'm no fan of auto "stealerships", but if the issue was a factory incentive that's expiring your issue may be with the manufacturer -- not the dealership.stan1

In theory, yes. In reality, the time to point that out was during the email conversation - since I went there with the express understanding that the car would be ordered and delivered later. Instead, they set it up to have me go there and waste my time - since once they had me on their turf, they attempted instead to sell me something out of their current inventory.

A disgusting, disingenuous method of doing business.

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 am

For those in Northern VA area, this was Ourisman Toyota of Fairfax.

I have no problem disclosing the facts of who they are and the facts of how it all went down.

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby dm200 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 am

Barefootgirl wrote:For those in Northern VA area, this was Ourisman Toyota of Fairfax.

I have no problem disclosing the facts of who they are and the facts of how it all went down.

BFG

Since you are in the, try ubs4cars.com
dm200

Postby Barefootgirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 am

thank you, assume feds are eligible? did not see it expressly on the site, but still reading thanks
Barefootgirl

Postby dm200 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

Barefootgirl wrote:thank you, assume feds are eligible? did not see it expressly on the site, but still reading thanks

Oh, yes. I am not a federal employee, but check with (do not know the name of the organization) the office at your agency that does things like sell discounted tickets to various events, etc. I believe they may actually have the UBS book, with all the prices. I also believe credit unions serving federal employees (and other credit unions) often participate in UBS and may have the book.

I think (check with UBS to make sure) that manufacturer incentives are paid/deducted from the UBS price, if applicable. One very important thing is that to get this UBS deal, you MUST get the FREE voucher and go to a specific dealership and a specific salesperson at that dealership. One thing I like, when you can review the book, is identify the exact model, features and "packages" and the cost trade-offs. You can do this without the often-confusing environment of a dealership and a salesperson showing this car or that car. I believe that you can often get a new car that is an exact (or near exact) fit for what you want, need or choose - and are willing to pay for. Over the years, when we bought new cars, we usually got good deals because we only bought what we wanted and needed. Sales folks, in the dealerships, will usually pitch as high-end a model as they can, often "loaded" with options and features that cause the price to go up.
dm200

Return to Personal Consumer Issues