Are you expected to subsidize friends and family?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Are you expected to subsidize friends and family?

Postby enderland » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:It seems if I were going to brag, I might better display obvious signs of wealth. Instead, some people assume I have savings because I don't spend in obvious ways, so the irony here is that the one who lives modestly may be expected to subsidize those who live less modestly.

BFG

This is my fear as a 20-something who actually saves for retirement. I'm on pace to be quite wealthy when I am 50.

My brothers on the other hand... not so much.
enderland

Postby rocket » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:44 am

A similar situation. My in-law relative is a very pretentious, lavish spender, always the big shot. I would guess net worth is quit low; my net worth is quit high. I allow him to buy expensive suppers, vacation rentals, etc. It does not bother me at all.
rocket

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 am

I and half my friends are in category one. The other half are in laws and quite a number of acquaintances. While i have nipped the mooching in the bud the category twos conversations often express their overall desire to "take" from category one.
reggiesimpson

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues