Page Plus Versus Republic Wireless - Who's Better?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Page Plus Versus Republic Wireless - Who's Better?

Postby ruanddu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:35 pm

I am currently with Boost Mobile on the Sprint Network. I am experiencing some difficulties with calls and texts coming through and not sure if it's the network or my phone. Boost is taking quite some time to get back to me on the problem so am considering other low-cost carries. I am leaning towards Page Plus as they have inexpensive plans and they use Verizon network (better coverage), if I am not mistaken? Also, considered Republic Wireless but the reviews go both ways so am hesitant.

Anyone tried either Page Plus or Republic Wireless? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
ruanddu

Re: Page Plus Versus Republic Wireless - Who's Better?

Postby FRANK2009 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm

I have Page Plus through an independent dealer, Kitty Wireless. My cost is under $40/month for unlimited talk and text, and a small amount of data. I have no problems with calling or reception and is as good as Verizon at half the cost. You do have to provide your own phone, and some phones are supposedly unable to be used on the network. Check Kitty's forum for specifics if you decide to switch to Page Plus. Once in a while there are problems with the Page Plus autopay system and the phone can not be used for a few hours. I am willing to put up with this minor inconvenience in order to save about $40/month.

If you decide on Page Plus, do it through Kitty Wireless as her customer service is great. She can not of course, correct system wide problems, but is extremely quick in responding to individual services such as porting in, or activating a number on a new phone.
FRANK2009

Postby mike143 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 pm

PagePlus, do some reading over at howardforums.com. I have my mother, mother and father in-law and his sister on PagePlus.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby ruanddu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Thx guys. Anyone else?
ruanddu

Postby DetroitRed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: Page Plus -- a lot of phones work on their network but they try to push you towards the four phones they sell on their site. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/
DetroitRed

Postby mike143 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 am

DetroitRed wrote:Re: Page Plus -- a lot of phones work on their network but they try to push you towards the four phones they sell on their site. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/

None of the recent 5 phones I put in service ever came from PagePlus directly, all came from eBay. Just do a eBay search for PagePlus cell phones and only buy ones that are guaranteed to work with PagePlus. Usually any Verizon contract phone that is out of contract and the account was in good standing are eligible to activate on PagePlus. So you know, if you already didn't, PagePlus is Verizon service. They try to prevent people from making money off their post paid side by bringing their phones over to the prepaid side. You use to be able to get a Verizon prepaid phone and as long as it was never activated direct with Verizon you could activate it with PagePlus. This made getting a $20 flip phone on PagePlus quick and easy. They closed that loop hole a while ago. Just for a reference I recently been buying new Samsung Gusto 2 on eBay for $20 and a used Motorola Droid X2 in good shape for $100.
mike143

Postby LifeIsGood » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am

I've been with Pageplus for 4 years. It's Verizon without the cost. Currently using an Iphone 4s. Very happy.
LifeIsGood

Postby ruanddu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for info. How much are you paying per month, LifeisGood?
ruanddu

Postby mike143 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:04 pm

I have my mom on $30 Talk n Text 1200, 1,200 Minutes, 3,000 Text/Picture* Messages, 250 MB Data with the Motorola Droid X2. I have my wife's parents, her fathers sister and backup cellphone at work on the $10 every ($0.10 per min) 120 day plan all on Samsung Gusto 2.
mike143

Postby lostcoast » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm

We just setup our son with Republic wireless and he seems happy with the service and phone.
We will decide soon and looks like we will spend $60/month for 3 smart phone unlimited plans versus our current talk & text AT&T plan which costs $120/month. The other plus is that the Republic phone work at home which does not have cell coverage but does use the high speed internet to stay connected.
lostcoast

Postby tylerherman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:53 am

I've been using the Page Plus $12 plan for about 6 months now. It does send me a text saying my plans run out each month even though I'm signed up for auto payment but besides that no problems to report.
tylerherman

Postby steve roy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 am

We (the Mrs., the younger kid, me) have been with Republic since December. You have to purchase 3G android phones, but after that it was $19 per month -- for each of us.

This was a $120/month savings over our Verizon "family plan." Republic's trick is ... they want customers to be on Wi Fi as much as possible -- in airports, in office buildings, Starbucks, etc. It's worked well for us, since we're all on Wi Fi at least part of each day. I'm informed that nobody has been removed from Republic's customer base for using too much of the company's cell system (leased from Sprint.)
steve roy

Postby LifeIsGood » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 am

ruanddu wrote:Thanks for info. How much are you paying per month, LifeisGood?

I have 2 different plans. My wife has an iPhone and hers run $29.99/mo. It includes 1200 mins., 1200 texts and 250MB data. The data is rumored to be increasing to 500MB/mo in July. I'm a light user and buy a $10 refill card every 4 months. I pay .10/minute.
LifeIsGood

Postby Saving$ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 am

I will soon be directing the procurement of wireless phone/data service for a family member (I'm the defacto go to person for this type of stuff for my extended family). My only comment so far has been there is no reason to pay a $120/month Verizon plan that the employer is currently paying. Employer is going to a monthly phone/data service allowance system instead of providing the phones and service. The employees get to keep their current devices.

It does not sound like it would work to switch this person to Page Plus using the current device. Correct?
- The phones available on the PP site area all rather old. The Kyoceria with the keyboard may work, but can I just buy any Verizon prepaid phone and not activate it on the Verizon network? If not, what is the best way to get a PP phone other than their website?

Is the Page Plus service really the same as the Verizon service without any catch? If it is, why does anyone use Verizon?

Is there a way to use an Iphone on PP?
Saving$

Postby LowER » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 am

Posting just to follow this thread more easily. Sorry for the wasted space.
LowER

Postby CABob » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:13 pm

LowER wrote:Posting just to follow this thread more easily. Sorry for the wasted space.

FYI, you can subscribe to the thread without posting to it.
Bob | An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Postby LifeIsGood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 am

Pageplus has restrictions on which phones can be activated. I've always used hand-me-down phones from friends/family or ones I purchased on Ebay or Craigslist. These phone have all been previously activated on Verizon. My most recent transaction was an iPhone 4s. Verizon will not let Pageplus activate iPhone 5 hence no 4G/LTE service. I'm currently using 3G on the 4S iPhone.
I think most people use Verizon because of name recognition and advertising. Pageplus does little advertising which undoubtedly keeps costs down. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between a PP call and a Verizon. They're using the same network. If there's any catch, I've yet to see it. They only catch is that you save boatloads of money each month.
Before you make the switch, I'd highly recommend that you contact Kittywireless.com with any questions that you might have. They seem to be the premier PP dealer with an excellent reputation for customer service.

Saving$ wrote:I will soon be directing the procurement of wireless phone/data service for a family member (I'm the defacto go to person for this type of stuff for my extended family). My only comment so far has been there is no reason to pay a $120/month Verizon plan that the employer is currently paying. Employer is going to a monthly phone/data service allowance system instead of providing the phones and service. The employees get to keep their current devices.

It does not sound like it would work to switch this person to Page Plus using the current device. Correct?
- The phones available on the PP site area all rather old. The Kyoceria with the keyboard may work, but can I just buy any Verizon prepaid phone and not activate it on the Verizon network? If not, what is the best way to get a PP phone other than their website?

Is the Page Plus service really the same as the Verizon service without any catch? If it is, why does anyone use Verizon?

LifeIsGood

Postby inbox788 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Saving$ wrote:Is the Page Plus service really the same as the Verizon service without any catch? If it is, why does anyone use Verizon?

DATA.

No 4G on PP. Also, metered service, so high GB usage gets costly.

I'm an intermittent binge user, so hard to find any plan that fits well. For voice, PP works fairly well averaged out over a year. For data, no plan works out. Looking into Freedompop and Karma, but expect both to fail in a year or two.

(intermittent binge user = 100 minutes most months, 1000 minutes a couple of times a year; 100MB most months, 10GB once or twice a year. Can't predict ahead of time. Tethering is needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.)

Go Republic if you can use their phone and need data on the phone. Otherwise, PP is more flexible and you can find or tailor a program that's more suitable.
inbox788

Postby TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Another satisfied PagePlus user here, when we first signed up two years ago, I did it through Kitty Wireless as the wait times at PagePlus directly were long. That has improved and there were a couple of snafus with Kitty so a few months ago I started dealing directly with PagePlus.

You cannot use any 4g phone with them, however, without getting it flashed.
TheGreyingDuke

Postby wander » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 am

We are happy with page plus. I activated our phones with Pinzoo and they called me to make sure that my phone was working. Pinzoo offers automatic renewal but since pageplus also provides this features so I set it up on pageplus web site and don't have to deal with any third party.
wander

Postby ataloss » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:02 am

the thing i don't understand about page plus is the $0.29 / minute roaming charge. Where in the US would I be roaming out of verizon/page plus range?
ataloss

Postby cdog999 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 am

ataloss wrote:the thing i don't understand about page plus is the $0.29 / minute roaming charge. Where in the US would I be roaming out of verizon/page plus range?

Check the Verizon PREPAID network coverage. This is different than Verizon postpaid coverage (which is better). There are many areas where Prepaid does not have coverage or is roaming. My wife uses PP and I have her phone turned to Home Only so roaming won't occur unless its a call to 911.
cdog999

Postby BolderBoy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Someone mentioned roaming charges and "Page Plus".

Make sure we are talking about the same things. There is Page Plus CELLULAR which is different from Page Plus WIRELESS.

PPCellular does not have mention of roaming charges that I can find. PPWireless does have roaming charges and they are stiff.

I'll keep looking.

Disclaimer - I have the PPCellular service.
BolderBoy

Postby ataloss » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't understand the distinction you are making between page plus wireless and cellular. Anyway, here is a url from page plus cellular showing the roaming charges for one of the plans (scroll down to the grid)

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/the-12/

roaming charges are lower with the $30/month plan.
ataloss

Postby aja8888 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Three phones on PP for over a year. Two Droid 2's and one Droid Pro all bought used on eBay for ~$60/each. All is good with the $30 1200 plan.
aja8888

Postby Perpetual » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:26 pm

You may also want to look into Tmobile prepaid plans. I just switched from AT&T to TMobile's 100 minute, unlimited text and data plan. The latter costs $30.
Perpetual

Postby Trev H » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:41 pm

We tried Page Plus, bought a phone direce from them, and kept it one month and part of the next, moved to Straight Talk before second months billing with PP.

The voice quality was bad for us on PP, lots of dropped calls, and my wife and daughter could not even text each other (wife had PP, daughter ATT go phone) at the mall, when they could with my wife's previous phone and service.

In our area PP stinks - wife is happy with StraightTalk.

Trev H
Trev H

Postby LordB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:Pageplus has restrictions on which phones can be activated. I've always used hand-me-down phones from friends/family or ones I purchased on Ebay or Craigslist. These phone have all been previously activated on Verizon. My most recent transaction was an iPhone 4s. Verizon will not let Pageplus activate iPhone 5 hence no 4G/LTE service. I'm currently using 3G on the 4S iPhone.
I think most people use Verizon because of name recognition and advertising. Pageplus does little advertising which undoubtedly keeps costs down. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between a PP call and a Verizon. They're using the same network. If there's any catch, I've yet to see it. They only catch is that you save boatloads of money each month.
Before you make the switch, I'd highly recommend that you contact Kittywireless.com with any questions that you might have. They seem to be the premier PP dealer with an excellent reputation for customer service.

Saving$ wrote:I will soon be directing the procurement of wireless phone/data service for a family member (I'm the defacto go to person for this type of stuff for my extended family). My only comment so far has been there is no reason to pay a $120/month Verizon plan that the employer is currently paying. Employer is going to a monthly phone/data service allowance system instead of providing the phones and service. The employees get to keep their current devices.

I'm sorry, but that kitty website is absolutely terrible and talks to you like you are a 3 year old. I wouldn't trust them with anything.
LordB

Postby ataloss » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm

so I looked at the coverage maps and pageplus is "roaming" in the tip of the thumb area in Michigan. I rarely if ever go to that part of the state and my t_mobile service is probably poor there too. I am pretty satisfied with t mobile but page plus in intriguing.
ataloss

Return to Personal Consumer Issues