Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Post by VictoriaF »

When I go to conferences, including Bogleheads events, I stay in the hotel where a conference takes place. Frequently, cheaper hotels are available near-by (even considering the conference discount), but the convenience outweighs the cost.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Based on what I read here, I just ordered the Breville toaster. Thanks for the recommendation. The video of it makes it look like a great product.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
fatlittlepig
gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome »

Bose music system is worth it to me. The sound if phenomenal and offers blue tooth connectivity.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Caduceus wrote:I had to think about this a little!

Allen Edmonds shoes + recrafting (to the poster who speaks about how Alden's quality is better/lasts longer, if you can elaborate, I'd be grateful! is it because of the construction?)
Yeah, that would be me. I think construction somewhat. The signature Alden feature is the steel shank, which I'm assuming makes a difference. For whatever reason, it just looks and feels like a finer shoe both initially and over time. My perception of Alden is that they are generally smaller, and perhaps have stuck closer to the high end market. Alden may not be as easy to find, but Brooks Brothers is a good place to check them out. If you ask, they will tell you which shoes are made by Alden. I think typically the dress calf skin and also some shell cordovan shoes. The latter are quite pricey, but perhaps I'll splurge the next time, but of course that might be years from now. The nice thing about Brooks Brothers is that twice a year the shoes can be had for 25% off. The same is true for their Allen Edmonds made shoes.
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

gobigorgohome wrote:The sound if phenomenal
A hedged endorsement.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Bob's not my name wrote:
A hedged endorsement.
Got no highs, got now lows, must be Bose. :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
sesq

Post by sesq »

VictoriaF wrote:When I go to conferences, including Bogleheads events, I stay in the hotel where a conference takes place. Frequently, cheaper hotels are available near-by (even considering the conference discount), but the convenience outweighs the cost.

Victoria
+1. Not only that usually I park in the lots next to the airport instead of taking the shuttle.
gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Bob's not my name wrote:
A hedged endorsement.
Got no highs, got now lows, must be Bose. :D

Different strokes for different folks.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

In fairness, gobigorgohome, that catchphrase was from decades ago, and I haven't listened to Bose in many years, so for all I know they have improved the sound. At the time, their flagship speaker had 9 midrange drivers and electronic EQ to compensate. It wasn't to my taste at the time. Under those circumstances, I should have kept quiet. Sorry.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I spent a few extra bucks on a Bunn VP-17 Coffee Maker (http://www.amazon.com/13300-0001-VP17-1 ... B0000DIWZC), and love it, use it every day, and expect it to last decades! This is truly an over-the-top purchase for me, but it's one of those things that makes me happy and (I hope) will pay for itself through exceptionally long life. I'm not opposed to spending for quality - provided it will last.
Ged

Post by Ged »

TomatoTomahto wrote:In fairness, gobigorgohome, that catchphrase was from decades ago, and I haven't listened to Bose in many years, so for all I know they have improved the sound. At the time, their flagship speaker had 9 midrange drivers and electronic EQ to compensate. It wasn't to my taste at the time. Under those circumstances, I should have kept quiet. Sorry.
Bose has declined quite a bit since those days. Visit audio fora and ask about Bose, and you will get a great deal of derision.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/343759/why-not-bose

Sorry if it offends Bose owners, but this is the way it is.
swaption

Post by swaption »

So, yesterday morning completed assembly of my new Weber Genesis grill. Not a small undertaking. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, don't begin grill assembly if there is even the slightest chance of rain in the forecast. Yesterday was the completion of a process that began Saturday afternoon :) .

So for dinner, the first burgers cooked on the grill, followed by my first pint of Graeter's ice cream.

Thumbs up on both fronts. I think I've come to the conclusion that you could do a lot worse than paying up for premium products recommended by folks on this site. These are not trivial considerations for this crowd.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Goodman60 wrote:I am wondering what premium products are worth it to Bogleheads? I have a few: Weber grilles, Lexus cars, iPhone/Ipad Apple products, Michelin tires. On the other hand, I have a friend who is into $25,000 TVs and laughs at my $399 Visio that is perfectly fine. I also won't buy ANY watch (my iPhone is now my watch) and find my $200 Canon pocket camera 97% as good as the $1500 digital "outfits". I used to value Dell computers but next time will buy the cheapest desktop I can find...it's a commodity now I believe. I also find EQUATE personal products (antibiotic cream, athlete's foot cream) to be as good as the name brand for about half the cost.

Just some musings about product value. Wondering if I am missing some other premium products that are worth it (and perhaps missing some deals on substitutes for premium stuff that is nearly as good as the "name brand")?
Wine, bourbon and mobile electronic devices (I insist that it's appropriate for me to have the Nexus 4/7/10 triumverate!). Also cars (willing to pay more for driveability features like more power and better handling). Also, high-end steakhouses. I think that's it, but I'm probably missing a few.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

leto wrote:First Class or Business Class on all international flights.
+1. And long domestic flights when I can get a "sticker" upgrade on AA.
Also, keeping status on AA so I can use the sticker upgrades (and get some customer service).

+1 on Eneloops.

+1 on SAS Shoes.
Last edited by technovelist on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Three things come to mind - my Tempurpedic mattress, Weber grill & Tumi work bag. I plan on having all 3 a LONG time.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Kinesis keyboards. They are much more comfortable than the usual ones, even other "ergonomic" ones, and last a long time.

Also, we have a "Big Berkey" water filter, which takes the chlorine out of our tap water and makes it taste good even in the summer when the algae bloom makes unfiltered tap water taste horrible.

+1 LED light bulbs.

+1 on Costco high-index glasses.

But is Costco membership a luxury? I think it is the other stuff you buy there that is the luxury?
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

swaption wrote:So, yesterday morning completed assembly of my new Weber Genesis grill. Not a small undertaking. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, don't begin grill assembly if there is even the slightest chance of rain in the forecast. Yesterday was the completion of a process that began Saturday afternoon :) .

So for dinner, the first burgers cooked on the grill, followed by my first pint of Graeter's ice cream.

Thumbs up on both fronts. I think I've come to the conclusion that you could do a lot worse than paying up for premium products recommended by folks on this site. These are not trivial considerations for this crowd.
Yes, love the Webers. My one complaint with their new grills - the older Genesis Silver I had from around '03 ish had the cooking grates coated in some kind of material (I think porcelin?). They really worked great for not sticking during cooking and ease of cleaning. The new one seems to just have a bare metal/cast iron grate. I don't have any problem with steaks and burgers, but I have a hard time with the chicken breasts sticking to the grates and losing some chunks when I take them off. Also a bit harder to clean. I suppose I should look and see if they sell coated grates for their newer grills, maybe they were just VE'd out as the standard offering.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I'm putting in an order for a Weber Genesis EP-330. :sharebeer It's a special model not available at the typical big box stores, but can be found through Ace Hardware, True Value, and some third party sellers at Amazon.

People at the BBQ Source forums seem to prefer stainless steel grates over porcelain. The E-330 ($800) has porcelain grates, while the S-330 ($950) has stainless steel. The EP-330 ($850) has stainless steel grates, and the only difference between it and the S-330 is that the EP-330 has an enameled finish while the S-330 is completely stainless steel. I didn't think that was worth the extra $100, plus it's harder to clean anyway.
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

Nokian tires from Finland. reinforced sidewalls for 87 vanagon.
All Clad
Wusthof
craft beer. slightly more expensive, well worth the cost
Church's shoes from England. Ecco too for more casual days.
Organic food when possible
Orijen, First Mate and other high quality dog foods. Must be working, cattle dog is 16+ and doing great.
Brooks Brothers
Merkur safety razor
Ibex wool products. Icebreaker too.
Parker pens
Brooks running shoes
Dan McHale backpacks (look it up!)
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Not sure the extent to which these things count as premium, but:

Bose sounddock portable player for ipod/iphone, which has totally been worth the ~$400 we spent on it.

Business attire from Brooks Brothers, since it tends to stay in style for a long time, fit me pretty well off the rack, and is of reasonably high quality--and also, for a retail store their customer service has always been relatively excellent.

Direct flights when we travel.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

How can you afford it!? I have thought about buying those given the amount of travel one has to do on international flights. But the prices are atrocious. And I don't travel often enough to get the elite member statuses on airlines....
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

TheOscarGuy wrote:
How can you afford it!? I have thought about buying those given the amount of travel one has to do on international flights. But the prices are atrocious. And I don't travel often enough to get the elite member statuses on airlines....
Yes, the prices for the international premium cabins are way too high to buy outright in most cases. But there are tricks, some of which don't require status. http://www.firstclassflyer.com/ is a good source. It requires subscription at $197/year, but that will pay for itself rapidly if you do much traveling and want to be more comfortable.
mrscmomof3

Post by mrscmomof3 »

Definitely LL bean wicked awesome slippers...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Slightly off topic, but business class is apparently a Premium Product that was worth it to my daughter. We took a flight to London, and after a few days there, took another to South Africa. My wife was able to upgrade the NYC-London leg to business class with its lie-flat beds, but there were no available upgrades for the South Africa leg. Upon boarding the plane for the second leg, my daughter looked at me and said: "What! no bed???" I told her to get used to it; life would contain many flights in Coach. :D
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

I've purchased much better kitchen appliances over the last few years, and have been very happy with the higher quality. My favorites are:

1. Electrolux (Ankarsrum) mixer. So much better than the Cuisinart stand mixer I used to own.
2. Vitamix 750 blender
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
swaption

Post by swaption »

Ketawa wrote:I'm putting in an order for a Weber Genesis EP-330. :sharebeer It's a special model not available at the typical big box stores, but can be found through Ace Hardware, True Value, and some third party sellers at Amazon.

People at the BBQ Source forums seem to prefer stainless steel grates over porcelain. The E-330 ($800) has porcelain grates, while the S-330 ($950) has stainless steel. The EP-330 ($850) has stainless steel grates, and the only difference between it and the S-330 is that the EP-330 has an enameled finish while the S-330 is completely stainless steel. I didn't think that was worth the extra $100, plus it's harder to clean anyway.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Researched the topic and uncovered the special enamel finished ones with the stainless grates not available in big box stores. Even comes in some cool colors like red. Because of price controls, it's basically the same price at the local hardware store, you support the local business, and they would even do the assembly. But alas I ended up looking into my AMEX points, which made the purchase decision that much easier, particularly given the 20% discount on Home Depot gift cards. So I ended up with the stainless steel S-330. But of course I guess I could have gotten the enamel version from HD and then just spent another $65 on some stainless grates. But whatever you do, if you buy locally, definitely look to see if they will throw in assembly. The one nice thing about products with manufacturer price controls is that it can often be much easier to get value added services like assembly.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I actually ended up going with Amazon; I used my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card to buy enough gift cards for 6% cash back at a grocery store.
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

bengal22 wrote:graeter's ice cream - available in 49 states - cincy based
+1 Best ice cream in America. Best in the world if you don't count gelato as ice cream
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

DTSC wrote:
+1 Best ice cream in America. Best in the world if you don't count gelato as ice cream
Have you ever eaten Penn State Creamery Ice Cream?
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

Miele vacuum cleaner, dish washer and washing machine.
yehudimenuhin

Post by yehudimenuhin »

I've always tried to buy high quality, dependable items. Over the years I've over-purchased bunch of stuff, but here are the things that I found expensive but I benefit from daily;

Kitchen:
  • Blue Star Range
    Broan Hood
    Cast Iron Skillets (cheap, but the higher maintenance makes them premium in my book)
    Technivorm Coffee Maker
    Heavy duty aluminum foil
    VitaMix Blender
Music:
  • USB DACs (instead of onboard soundcard for my MP3s - I have NU FORCE and Scott Nixon)
    M Audio AV40s (instead of computer speakers)
Bike:
  • Power Meters (had PowerTap - trying Stages Cycling on new bike)
    Assos bib shorts
Other:
  • Allen Edmonds shoes
    Lucchese boots
    Nice lingerie for the wife
    Nanny for the kids
    Glock26 and a V-Line Safe
    Nikon D90 with fast lenses
Here are some things I wouldn't buy again:
Henkels knives (the SS is soft and doesn't hold an edge as well as some cheapo Japanese knives i have)
Fancy watches (I went though a vintage collecting phase. Now they're all in need of expensive maintenance.)
Sous Vide Machine (love the idea, but can't seem to plan meals that far ahead)
Riedel Wine Glasses (break just as easily as the $2 ones)
Steakhouse steaks (I can do as well or better at home - see firt 3 items)
Fountain pens
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

yehudimenuhin wrote:
Sous Vide Machine (love the idea, but can't seem to plan meals that far ahead)
I wonder why that is. Every time I use it, I tell myself that the results are awesome, and then I don't use it again for months. Nice to know that I'm not alone.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

yehudimenuhin wrote: Other:
  • Allen Edmonds shoes
    Lucchese boots
    Nice lingerie for the wife
    Nanny for the kids
    Glock26 and a V-Line Safe
    Nikon D90 with fast lenses
All the elements of a decent movie! :sharebeer
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Leesbro63 wrote:
DTSC wrote:
Have you ever eaten Penn State Creamery Ice Cream?
No. where is it available? I am always willing to test my theory regarding Graeter's.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Generally only at Penn State in State College, PA (Central PA). There are some independents in Pittsburgh...and probably in Philly...who carry it for a small demand from local alumni. If you're ever through central PA, it's worth it to make a side trip to Penn State and visit The Creamery. They have a whole dairy science major and The Creamery is part of that, but is retail to the public.
IPer

Post by IPer »

Belkin notebook computer fan (double fan, silent, low power consumption) as opposed to the already tried Chinese one (I am in Thailand right now and cool is good for computers).
Logitech or Plantronics headsets
Microsoft mouse (and I own a "position" as well!)
Read the Wiki Wiki !
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Leesbro63 wrote:Generally only at Penn State in State College, PA (Central PA). There are some independents in Pittsburgh...and probably in Philly...who carry it for a small demand from local alumni. If you're ever through central PA, it's worth it to make a side trip to Penn State and visit The Creamery. They have a whole dairy science major and The Creamery is part of that, but is retail to the public.
I lived in the area for a while. It wasn't bad, by any stretch - but the consistency wasn't to my liking. They use various thickeners and texturizers (guar gum, etc) and I like a pretty "raw" feel to my ice cream.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I've owned both Vitamix and Blendtec blenders and find the Blendtec works better...likely because it has better attachments...

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon »

yehudimenuhin wrote:I've always tried to buy high quality, dependable items. Over the years I've over-purchased bunch of stuff, but here are the things that I found expensive but I benefit from daily;

Riedel Wine Glasses (break just as easily as the $2 ones)
Riedel wine glasses probably break easier than the $2 glasses (I have broken a few Riedels washing them), however, varietal specific wine glass are well worth the money. A mediocre wine in the proper glass is better than a great wine in the wrong glass IMO. Using varietal specific wine glasses has greatly increased my enjoyment of wine and food.

LL
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

patio
my Big Green Egg Kamado grill,
good lump charcoal
mesquite chunks
a 700 degree F fire
good quality NY strip steak
a good bottle of red wine
baked potato
Caesar salad
nice sunset
cool breeze after a hot day
low humidity
no bugs
All right, some of these aren't "products" in the conventional sense, but they sure are nice to have!
gatorman
Ged

Post by Ged »

Steelcase Leap chairs.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Sweetgrass bamboo fly rods. $2,000-$2,500 for a fishing pole may seem like wretched excess to some, but once you've cast one you'll never fish for trout with anything else. And don't worry, Glenn Brackett, Jerry Kustich and the rest of the "Boo Boys ain't getting rich building split cane fly rods.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

gatorman wrote:patio
my Big Green Egg Kamado grill,
good lump charcoal
mesquite chunks
a 700 degree F fire
good quality NY strip steak
a good bottle of red wine
baked potato
Caesar salad
nice sunset
cool breeze after a hot day
low humidity
no bugs
All right, some of these aren't "products" in the conventional sense, but they sure are nice to have!
gatorman
Well said. This really sums up a great afternoon.
xenial

Post by xenial »

Puget Systems for custom computers. Great configurability, quality, and customer service.
IMD801

Post by IMD801 »

1. Apple computers. I'm on my third. Each one easily lasts 6+ years and provides outstanding performance for my needs.

2. Delicious, local microbrewed beers

3. Good trailrunning shoes
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

swaption wrote:So, yesterday morning completed assembly of my new Weber Genesis grill. Not a small undertaking. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, don't begin grill assembly if there is even the slightest chance of rain in the forecast. Yesterday was the completion of a process that began Saturday afternoon :) .

You can never go wrong with Graeter's. And now.... they have added Gelato, which is great.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
eyeball

Post by eyeball »

subscription to Audible.com for those that like audiobooks.

i use to check out books on tape/cd from library but the convenience of audible is terrific and well worth it.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

Pretty much all food (that you buy yourself, not talking about the $100/person restaurants). My dad isn't cheap by any means, but he would often buy store brand oreos, or the cheap burgers from the grocery store. And they're just not the same.

Decent running shoes, if you're a runner

Non-apple computers/mobile devices

Surprised this one wasn't mentioned more, but a good bed

After reading this thread, note to self: Get the better grill
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

bengal22 wrote:You can never go wrong with Graeter's. And now.... they have added Gelato, which is great.
I consume very little alcohol, but one of my favorite things to do with gelato is to chill (not freeze) a few spoonfuls of port or cream sherry style wine (my current favorites for this are the Taylor Fladgate 20-year tawny or Lustau's East India Solera - you want something sweet but not overly so, and fruity and complex). Spoon a bit over the gelato just before serving (simple flavors work best here). You get a dynamic taste experience - normally when you taste ice cream or gelato there's a delayed taste as it comes up to temperature in your mouth, but here you get the fruity punch of the wine immediately, followed by a smooth transition into the creamy sweetness of the gelato. Perfection.

I'll add to the list - "tradizionale" balsamic vinegars from Italy. These are the ones you only find if you seek them out, prices start at $100 for a small bottle and go up from there, and they have as much to do with "balsamic" vinegar you find in a grocery store as a slide whistle does with a concert grand piano. They're more affordable than you might think, they pack an amazingly strong and complex set of flavors; try chopping a ripe pear and a firm but sweet banana sometime, drizzling it over (only takes a little bit!) and tossing. Lovely.