Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DieselEngineer

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Post by DieselEngineer »

Sidney wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:Well made comfortable shoes.
Many years ago when I was just starting my career, I asked an older fellow what advice he could give me. The first words out of his mouth were "wear comfortable shoes."
I went through a plethora of different work boots before splurging on Redwings. My only regret is not buying them sooner. :oops:
Went from 14 funds to 4 Funds - TSM, TISM, F, and G!
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I heartily second the recommendation of Shure headphones (I have the SE 525). Beat Sennheiser any day of the week and make any Apple device sound 100 times better.
beanstock

Post by beanstock »

DieselEngineer wrote:
Sidney wrote:
Many years ago when I was just starting my career, I asked an older fellow what advice he could give me. The first words out of his mouth were "wear comfortable shoes."
I went through a plethora of different work boots before splurging on Redwings. My only regret is not buying them sooner. :oops:
I recently bought a pair of Redwing shoes for $150. It is the lower-end model made in China. I think their china-made stuff is of horrible quality. The leather scuffs very easily, and my shoe looks over a year old in spite of being just 3 months old. I feel these shoes are worth more like 80 bucks or so.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Starbucks coffee (we buy by the bag and make at home), heineken, ben & jerry's, brooks brothers shirts. Occasionally buy stuff from Dean & Deluca - great sandwiches, salads and prepared foods.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Perhaps heretical to say as a Seattleite, but Apple products. Plug'em in and they work.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se535.html

500 bucks for earphones? sorry but that's nuts. I get mine for 4-5 bucks and buy a few pairs as they are always getting lost.
HongKonger wrote:I heartily second the recommendation of Shure headphones (I have the SE 525). Beat Sennheiser any day of the week and make any Apple device sound 100 times better.
fatlittlepig
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Recommendations for wireless headphones so I can watch and listen to TV on the treadmill so others in the same room can enjoy silence?

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

Very good food - fruits, veggies, organic, fair trade, non-gmo, fresh & local grown.
Also great vacations anywhere (especially where a bicycle is involved).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

fatlittlepig wrote:http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se535.html

500 bucks for earphones? sorry but that's nuts. I get mine for 4-5 bucks and buy a few pairs as they are always getting lost.
HongKonger wrote:I heartily second the recommendation of Shure headphones (I have the SE 525). Beat Sennheiser any day of the week and make any Apple device sound 100 times better.
A good "compromise" might be Grado SR60 (or the update, SR60i). Been around forever, great value.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

As I've gotten older and more affluent, I buy higher grade of quality including:

Yard tools: I recently bought the "Cobalt?" brand shovel and rakes at Lowes. They are heavy duty, but materially more expensive. I also bought a $420 Stihl trimmer/blower combo (it f'ing rocks).
Beer: I buy American micro-beers after years of Budweiser. Recently discovered Revolution "Anti-Hero" IPA....and a Cali brewery called Igunalitis?----hard to pronounce and spell!!
Furniture: only solid cherry primarily from Amish
Cars: only high quaility American made. Recently bought a best-in-class Ford Explorer (incredible vehicle)
Watches: Breightling "colt" model.....beautiful piece of jewelry
Applicances: Wolf and Sub-Zero only please.
Last edited by Flashes1 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

- Audi and Subaru vehicles
- Electronics and Computers (Pioneer Elite, Oppo, Energy, Apple)
- Food
- Any major purchase for the house (appliances, roofing, landscaping, etc)
- Sporting goods
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Hotel rooms (typically splurge for upgraded rooms or views)
Premium denim
Bars of fancy soap
Lip balm
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Why keep contributing to landfill when you can purchase good quality once and look after it. This premium product is worth it to me - and has been worth it every single time I have used them over the last 4 or 5 years.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

sorry you'll never convince me that 500 bucks for a pair of earphones is a good deal, that's a ripoff.
I'll stick with these beauties
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

HongKonger wrote:

Why keep contributing to landfill when you can purchase good quality once and look after it. This premium product is worth it to me - and has been worth it every single time I have used them over the last 4 or 5 years.
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

sounds like a lot of overpriced stuff, just sayin'
for the cars: isn't high quality and American made an oxymoron
Flashes1 wrote:As I've gotten older and more affluent, I buy higher grade of quality including:

Yard tools: I recently bought the "Cobalt?" brand shovel and rakes at Lowes. They are heavy duty, but materially more expensive. I also bought a $420 Stihl trimmer/blower combo (it f'ing rocks).
Beer: I buy American micro-beers after years of Budweiser. Recently discovered Revolution "Anti-Hero" IPA....and a Cali brewery called Igunalitis?----hard to pronounce and spell!!
Furniture: only solid cherry primarily from Amish
Cars: only high quaility American made. Recently bought a best-in-class Ford Explorer (incredible vehicle)
Watches: Breightling "colt" model.....beautiful piece of jewelry
Applicances: Wolf and Sub-Zero only please.
fatlittlepig
Ged

Post by Ged »

TomatoTomahto wrote:

A good "compromise" might be Grado SR60 (or the update, SR60i). Been around forever, great value.
Yes, Grado has always had some great bang/buck products. Decades ago they were my first 'good' headphones.

There are some good fora covering this area. http://www.head-fi.org/ and http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/. Hang on to your wallet though.
Topic Author
Goodman60

Post by Goodman60 »

Add another...the "CONTIVA" coffee thermos. Can be bought at COSTCO but elsewhere as well. You can turn it upside down and shake it and there is zero drip. Like a sealed unit of hot coffee.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I'll stick to my premium $20 senheisers that are 10 times better than apples original white headphones. Had to look up the price of the se 525, and found out it costs several times more than my iPod!

Btw, recently had to replace my last pair because my dog chewed through it. :shock: Glad it didn't cost an arm and a leg! Otherwise, might have had to file a homeowner insurance claim if it's even covered.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Goodman60 wrote:Add another...the "CONTIVA" coffee thermos. Can be bought at COSTCO but elsewhere as well. You can turn it upside down and shake it and there is zero drip. Like a sealed unit of hot coffee.
Contigo?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Old Italian cars, the most beautiful ever built. Especially those designed by Pininfarina.
Last edited by eucalyptus on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Goodman60

Post by Goodman60 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Goodman60 wrote:Add another...the "CONTIVA" coffee thermos. Can be bought at COSTCO but elsewhere as well. You can turn it upside down and shake it and there is zero drip. Like a sealed unit of hot coffee.
Contigo?
Whoops! Yeah, thanks!
sambb

Post by sambb »

premium products I spend on: some apple products, whole foods or panera bread, allen edmonds shoes, pepsi instead of generic cola, tumi laptop bags, and briggs and riley suitcases, starbucks, some nice hotels on our once a year vacation
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I got the 425 which is not quite as good as 525 but very close for $220.

I've had them for over 3 years, never lost them. Had them replaced once or twice due to me getting them wet, but Shure swapped them out for free. Had i got cheap earphones, I'd keep losing them because I don't care about them, and I would hate the sound quality so wouldn't enjoy listening to music anyway...

trust me definitely worth it
325e

Post by 325e »

Great topic! If you've ever read On Walden, there is a hilarious part in it where Thoreau complains about the quality of pants being built "these days."

+1 on the Vitamix blender. Our car was $1600, the blender was $470. But it has 2 horsepower and we use it at least ever morning.
I have a hard time buying brooks brothers myself, but the shirts my mom has gotten me ten years ago still look appropriate and last. Can't say that for Gap.
Gym membership (crossfit) at $125 a month.

I would like to get a nice pair of dress shoes that could last me the rest of my life.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

MacBookPro-easy to use without raising my blood pressure.
New Balance sneakers-Other brands don't fit right.

I guess I'm a boring pretty frugal guy.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

you may or may not already know this but crossfit is a total scam. $125/month for a gym membership is a rip off, IMHO.

325e wrote:Great topic! If you've ever read On Walden, there is a hilarious part in it where Thoreau complains about the quality of pants being built "these days."

+1 on the Vitamix blender. Our car was $1600, the blender was $470. But it has 2 horsepower and we use it at least ever morning.
I have a hard time buying brooks brothers myself, but the shirts my mom has gotten me ten years ago still look appropriate and last. Can't say that for Gap.
Gym membership (crossfit) at $125 a month.

I would like to get a nice pair of dress shoes that could last me the rest of my life.
fatlittlepig
btenny

Post by btenny »

Peets Coffee whole bean Holiday blend, medium roast... Very good but only available around Christmas...
Weber Grills..
Atomic snow skis for speed
Solomon skis for pow and corn and bumps
lots of different food brands -Krispy crackers, JIF chunky PB, Oatnut premium bread, Fat Tire beer, etc..
Sebastiani wine
Michelin tires
New Balance walking shoes with roll bar
And occasionally we buy local raised and pasture grass feed black angus beef for great steaks.

Bill
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Go to cheap and you get what you pay for. Go to expensive and you generally overpay. I'm right in the middle with just about everything I purchase.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
enderland

Post by enderland »

I'm about ready to buy a USB Apple mini-keyboard for work since no one else makes a quality, USB mini-keyboard.

The thought of spending $100 for a keyboard makes me somewhat sick, but I love my bluetooth one at home and I cannot use bluetooth on my work machine unfortunately...
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Gertrude Hawk chocolates, mail ordered.
Dean's beans coffee, also mail ordered.
Quality bedding, though I buy it at Marshall's so it's priced like discount store junk.
Comcast digital cable upgrade with sports package.

My home. I have always paid whatever it takes to get the nicest home I could afford. Great light, privacy, and peaceful surroundings are what work for me. I work from home so I'm there most of the time.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

of course they swapped them out for free since they probably cost them 20-30 bucks to manufacture so their mark up was >1000%

ssquared87 wrote:
I've had them for over 3 years, never lost them. Had them replaced once or twice due to me getting them wet, but Shure swapped them out for free. Had i got cheap earphones, I'd keep losing them because I don't care about them, and I would hate the sound quality so wouldn't enjoy listening to music anyway...

trust me definitely worth it
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

you may be boring, but you are wise at least in your choice of laptop.

i am a boring guy, luckily i have few needs or wants in life to make me happy.

FLP
FRANK2009 wrote:MacBookPro-easy to use without raising my blood pressure.
New Balance sneakers-Other brands don't fit right.

I guess I'm a boring pretty frugal guy.
fatlittlepig
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I have been buying the relatively expensive pitted Kalamata olives to put in my Saturday Big Salad. They're close to $10/lb, but I don't use all that many.

Charmin Ultra-Soft, worth it in the end[1]. By shopping smart, buying big packs on sale, that's not even that extravagant.

1. Sorry.
Brian
schmoglehead

Post by schmoglehead »

Cycling gear: Gore products, Shimano Ultegra, Sidi shoes and there is nothing like Park wrenches and other products
Thinkpads
Henckel or Wustof knives
Icebreaker sweaters
SportHill active wear
Patagoinia almost anything
Solomon shoes for various sports
Panasonic TVs
Canon cameras
Etymotic headpones
a high quality contractor
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Default User BR wrote:I have been buying the relatively expensive pitted Kalamata olives to put in my Saturday Big Salad. They're close to $10/lb, but I don't use all that many.

Charmin Ultra-Soft, worth it in the end[1]. By shopping smart, buying big packs on sale, that's not even that extravagant.

1. Sorry.
Brian
I'm with ya on the Charmin Ultra Soft. I never cheap out on toilet paper.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

Default User BR wrote:Charmin Ultra-Soft, worth it in the end[1].

1. Sorry.
The admins are surely gonna wipe[1] that one! Hope they don't turn it red though; that's a bit over the top[1]. Well, this is unraveling[1] quickly... Should probably just flush[1] this response, actually. Wash my hands[1] of it, so to speak.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

schuyler74 wrote:
Default User BR wrote:Charmin Ultra-Soft, worth it in the end[1].

1. Sorry.
The admins are surely gonna wipe[1] that one! Hope they don't turn it red though; that's a bit over the top[1]. Well, this is unraveling[1] quickly... Should probably just flush[1] this response, actually. Wash my hands[1] of it, so to speak.
If the administrators punish you, turn the other cheek[1],

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Jill07

Post by Jill07 »

Natural gut tennis string..

Costs more but is easier on the arm... keeps me playing!

Jill
cdogg44

Post by cdogg44 »

swaption wrote:Thermapen instant read meat thermometer

While it may seem crazy to spend $96 on an instant read meat thromometer (less 20% at Chef Central using 20% BB&B coupon), it is worth every penny. It literally is the Rolls Royce of meat thermometers. You will never have to guess if something is done. it is so fast that you can actually see the temp changing in real time as you move to different parts of the meat. Just the kind of splurge that makes a perfect Father's Day gift :wink:
This. I won't cook without one. It goes camping with us too. I got it during one of their refurb sales for $65 or so with the warranty of a new one. It died 6 months later and they replaced it with a new one.

Benelli Super Black Eagle II Ten seasons and a few scratches later and it still runs great.
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Buy one and you'll never look back.
Overland Journal subscription Makes me wonder why we can't travel around in world class rigs and take pictures. (Possible jealousy?)
Nice dinners out We've cut back a ton since we became parents, but nothing beats a great dinner on a Friday night
cdogg44

Post by cdogg44 »

beanstock wrote:
DieselEngineer wrote:
Sidney wrote:
I recently bought a pair of Redwing shoes for $150. It is the lower-end model made in China. I think their china-made stuff is of horrible quality. The leather scuffs very easily, and my shoe looks over a year old in spite of being just 3 months old. I feel these shoes are worth more like 80 bucks or so.
I work construction and much prefer waterproof pull on boots. After 4 years of buying the SAME pair of Red Wings every Fall I switched to some Rocky "Long Range" boots and couldn't be happier. I've gotten two winters out of them (only wear boots Oct-Mar) and can probably squeeze a third. More comfortable too for the same price, roughly $175.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Well, I guess the definition of "premium" is all relative. I don't often buy bottom-of-the-line anything. I buy top-of-the-line more often. But with most things, I find that there are significant benefits to buying slightly above average quality. So, here goes.

My 9ft Schimmel K280T grand piano . I guess it doesn't get too much more premium than that, this lists for 6 figures new, though I bought mine used

Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries. These are relatively inexpensive items, only twice the price of average rechargeables, but worth many many times that.

Prime beef from Costco. There is just an amazing difference in test with the other quality levels. All my guests have commented on it, too.

Enphase micro-inverters for my solar panels. I have shading and it improves the production greatly.

SACD classical recordings. Yes, they still publish new ones.

(long-discontinued) Energy Veritas 2.3 speakers

My pair of HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 LCD monitors . The screen resolution is absolutely invaluable for all the things I'm always doing with my computer.

My Kenmore induction cooktop. I actually ripped out the gas cooktop to put it in. Well worth it. It is amazingly fast.

Edt: easy to forget, the projector and the 106" projection screen that I use for TV in a dedicated music/home theater room. Currently it is a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p for the last 3 years. I have been using some form of projector as TV for 10 years, with the same screen. We have a 60" LCD in the bedroom and that looks extremely small to me.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I'm more than happy to pay a bit extra even if the product is only "premium" only in my imagination! I usually stick to solid mid-level brands focused on how often I will be using the product and what I need it to do.

I'm still driving a used 2006 Durango I bought for a steal in 2007 - fairly basic but gets the job done... although lately I've been tempted... :twisted:

I did buy a bona vita coffee pot that makes darned guten coffee, usually using Peet's or Starbucks for it. I need coffee brands I can pick up at the store! The last several consumer pots I had all made awful drecky coffee.

I don't drink much wine due to my reflux limits, but when I do I usually buy higher end small vintage bottles. After a while they spoil you for the mass consumer Yellow Tailish lines. Ramey Claret is heavenly!

After using MS-DOS and Windows from 1985 to 2010, I bought my first MacBook Pro in mid 2010. This computer has been stepped on by my 90 lb daughter (she actually did a pirouette on it!), dropped from the counter onto brick tile several times, has multiple dings, dents, and scars on its aluminium cover and keeps on ticking. I think I have rebooted it once during the past three years for a fatal error. My last Dell couldn't go 48 hours without a reboot straight out of the box! We also switched to verizon iPhones at work, so I now have an extra macbook pro, 6 ipods (4 kids here), 2 iphones, 3 ipads, and we have only a token cheap HP laptop for the kids to use for schoolwork when the other computers are occupied. Apple products aren't generally on the tech frontline, are definitely more expensive, but from my standpoint are essentially trouble free and "just work", i.e. perfect for what I need! (I still have several Dells at work, including a blazer in my office, tricked up laptop, and several one piecers in the exam rooms if I need Windows access... so I can cheat a bit).

I also must have a good supply of avery e-ink fine point roller ball pens (blue). I use a ton of them writing notes at the hospital!

We've also started splurging for some bigger trips for the kids, I'm at work a good bit, so we like to take them to interesting places, and not just recycle Disney and drudge like that over and over... Heading to Alaska for a cruise this summer! Considering Costa Rica or Puerto Rico next year. Or, I could go for some CME at the Pan-Pacific Lymphoma conference on the Big Island!

edit: We also like to eat at nice places, but don't eat out that much, we spend less eating out 2x per month than most I'd wager. I'm also dangerous to my health in the chocolate section of the Fresh Market!
Indexed Fully!
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

It's interesting to see here how the idea of premium is so relative and taste is as they say...

that said, I can offer a coffee tip to those who believe the beans make the difference (and to a good extent they do)
method is also important...after testing too many, I settled on a $20 Clever coffee dripper and suddenly found myself among a legion of fans, who knew this cheap little device could inspire so much love amongst coffee drinkers?

on wine - those rating systems are reliable guides...I use them to find great $9 bottles of Riesling and even Pinot Noir.

I have so few vices left now that good coffee and good wine bring me great joy. I just learned that the B-52s are playing near my home tonight for $10, what a bargain :beer

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

Weber grill, they last forever
Stihl chain saw, leaf blower, hedge and edge trimmers
Kubota tractor, just goes and goes
Mercedes cars
Michelin tires
Ghroe faucets
and really good wine
swaption

Post by swaption »

325e wrote: I would like to get a nice pair of dress shoes that could last me the rest of my life.
I suggest Alden. Can be recrafted like Alan Edmonds, but better enough to justify the premium. Brooks Brothers dress calf skin are Alden, so you can sometimes buy for 25% off and they can be recrafted. Buying a new pair of shoes is literally an event for me. Commuting by train, I walk a lot and they still last. Only negative is the shoes have a steel shank, which helps them last, but is a problem for airport security. Less of an issue now that you have to take your shoes off. I put taps on the heels, use cedar shoe trees, and take care of the leather. Good looking and comfortable shoes that can last a very long time.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Someone mentioned comfortable shoes. I agree. The last time I bought shoes, it was at Payless and there were 3 pairs of shoes of different brands which were my size and were the right color. Two of them were not comfortable and did not appear to be made well, something important because I am an avid square dancer and put a lot of wear and tear on them. The third one did well on both counts but cost $10 more than the other two. I knew I had to buy those and it has turned out to be a great choice. I usually get about 2 years from my shoes but these have lasted 3 years and are holding up well both in comfort and durability.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Brooks Brothers iron-free dress shirts, I buy them on sale but they still aren't cheap.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Brooks Brothers iron-free dress shirts, I buy them on sale but they still aren't cheap.
Love these...but I disagree, they are extremely cheap. Think they end up costing about $50 on sale, and my older ones are 10 years old and still look/feel new. I'll take that to buying a Macy's store brand for $25 and having to throw it out a year later
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

fatlittlepig wrote:sounds like a lot of overpriced stuff, just sayin'
for the cars: isn't high quality and American made an oxymoron414k
To address your two points:

1. Overpriced is a very subjective term. As you progress thru net worth thresholds, fewer things are overpriced....so maybe we're at different thresholds. My $14k Wolf range is likely cheap compared to what's in Bill Gates' kitchen, so it's all relative.

2. American made cars are very high quality..I'm not sure how much reading about the subject you've done though....doesn't sound like much....but I do understand many people are making political stmts when they choose to not support the UAW....so different strokes for different folks.