Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 am

swaption wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:This thread is getting expensive; thus far, I've decided to get a Lock n Lock container and a Thermapen :)

Presumably over cooked grass fed beef ain't cheap either.

That reminds me; I also splurged on a Sous Vide machine which makes perfectly cooked meat, but truth be told, I'm too lazy to do all of the steps (vacuum pack the meat, water bathe it for x hours, unpack and sear the meat) consistently. When I do it, I'm happy, but it really requires planning ahead. But, it should probably be on my list.
TomatoTomahto

Postby bradshaw1965 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

bottlecap wrote:I'm somewhat surprised that everyone considers Apple "premium", although it is sometimes priced at a premium. At least as far as the phones go (and I have one), they're certainly not the best on the market.

Thread stopper worse then politics. Computers and Electronics have brand preference where the user of a different brand will find it hard to believe the perceptions of the user of the other brand. Tens of thousands of words later, nobody will have changed their brand preference.
bradshaw1965

Postby damjam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am

From the previous posts it seems I have a lot of premium products.
The one I find to be the most valuable to me is my Herman Miller Aeron desk chair. When I bought it there were nothing else like it. Very pricey. However, I use it almost everyday and enjoy it greatly.
damjam

Postby Methedras » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:30 am

I find that spending a little extra cash on getting a decent haircut is worth it to me. Sure, I could get a $5 haricut at Supercuts, but it almost never looks good. I spend a little more to go to somewhere I know my stylist by her first name, and she knows how I like my hair.

However, even though it costs a bit more, I think of it like an investment. Similar to a decent suit or pair of shoes, looking put-together and presentable is also good for your career.
Methedras

Postby swaption » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am

Can up the ante a bit as compared to the Thermapen:

Alden dress shoes: Still expensive even though can be gotten for 25% off at Brooks Brothers on sale, with recrafting can last a decade
Sonos Sound System
Cookshack Smoker: Is to electric smokers what the Thermapen is to meat thermometers
swaption

Postby Ged » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 am

gerrym51 wrote:
Ged wrote:Computers - I build my own from premium parts that Dell mostly doesn't offer
Monitors - Either Dell or HP IPS panels
Keyboards - Vintage IBM Model M

are you a gamer and need high power and super graphics card. I had a nividia card installed on my last gaming computer

Mostly computers are the tools of my trade - software engineering is what I do for a living. A lot of the time I work from home so I often need fairly complex configurations. Good graphics cards are very helpful when I'm working with image processing etc.
What do we want? Evidence driven change. | When do we want it? After peer review.
Ged

Postby leo383 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

Ketchup
Peanut Butter
leo383

Postby Allan12 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 pm

wesleymouch wrote:Nest thermostats. Pure luxury and saves money in the long run.

+1.

Love my nest. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

I think having quality faucets, and sinks (american standard) are worth it.
Allan12

Postby Quidnam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Ged wrote:Monitors - Either Dell or HP IPS panels

You are one after my own heart -- as I've recently splurged on a Dell 30" IPS panel to go with my IBM Model M's.

Of course, the monitor I bought was a Dell 3011 (versus the latest 3014 model), refurbished, with a significant discount as an Amazon "Factory Deal."

I'd say the Model M's are more of a hobby than a splurge (given the time spent reconditioning finds on Ebay, etc.). But I suppose the fact that we're willing to spend any real amount of time and money on a keyboard is enough to make them "premium"...
Quidnam

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Wesleymouch...with respect to Starbucks, I probably should have clarified that I was referring to brewed coffee prepared outside of the home, not beans for home use....really, Starbucks is the best (in my close geographic area) for a consistently good brew. Other coffee shops are terribly inconsistent. I often wonder how Caribou Coffee justifies what they pay in rent to locate in upscale areas, their coffee is terrible.

That said, I have gained a lot of interesting information here, this is better than a Consumer Reports Best Value issue.

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby Ged » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Quidnam wrote:
Ged wrote:Monitors - Either Dell or HP IPS panels

You are one after my own heart -- as I've recently splurged on a Dell 30" IPS panel to go with my IBM Model M's.

Of course, the monitor I bought was a Dell 3011 (versus the latest 3014 model), refurbished, with a significant discount as an Amazon "Factory Deal."

I'd say the Model M's are more of a hobby than a splurge (given the time spent reconditioning finds on Ebay, etc.). But I suppose the fact that we're willing to spend any real amount of time and money on a keyboard is enough to make them "premium"...

I went with the 3014 because I wanted the improved AG coating and hardware calibration. Since I run a whole menagerie of operating systems not having to rely on the OS color calibration is a big deal for me. I was able to get a decent price through my employer's Dell account, of course probably still more than you paid.

I've been a fan of IBM keyboards for a LONG time. Since before the IBM PC existed. At one time I used some of their old mainframe terminals. I got my first Model Ms by dumpster diving - an insurance company sharing the building I was working in about 10 years ago upgraded their systems and literally threw hundreds of them into a dumpster. I pulled out a dozen or so. Of course they were still good after some minor TLC, these things are immortal. Since then I bought a rare NIB black model M off of EBay. That's where the premium splurge came in. People now realize how desirable they are so these black ones are dear.
What do we want? Evidence driven change. | When do we want it? After peer review.
Ged

Postby LFT_PFT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Vitamix Blender: Going on 3 Years, used daily and hasn't lost any 'pep in its step.'
LFT_PFT

Postby scrabbler1 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

On the food side I buy Lundgren long grain organic brown rice, usually from the health food store because it is rarely available at the supermarket. I also buy from Omaha Steaks their 5 oz. hamburgers although years ago I bought more stuff from them. I don't make the burgers for myself very often so a box of 16 lasts me at least a year.

I am typing now from one of those Microsoft Ergonomic keyboards (4000 model). I bought it in 2010 but soon the white letterings rubbed off some of the keys. Recently, I bought a sheet of decals I could stick onto the "blank" keys which saved me from either difficult typing on this keyboard or painful typing on a regular keyboard (or buying another expensive keyboard).
scrabbler1

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Another one I thought of: Chubb Insurance for auto, home, and umbrella.
TomatoTomahto

Postby stoptothink » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Up until a few weeks ago my bicycle was worth more than all of my other worldly possessions combined, including my car. It was a no-name carbon frame, but with SRAM red, Rotor crank, deep carbon tubulars, Adamo, speedplay, etc. it retailed for ~$5k. Got my money's worth as I commuted 95% by bike for 2 years, but got so frustrated with flats weekly when I moved to Utah that I finally just sold it. I am considering getting a cross or mountain bike to continue commuting and will probably splurge on that.

I also train in pretty expensive shoes, INOV-8s and Saucony Hattori's, but I always get them far below retail. Recently came across INOV-8 xf-260, my training shoe of choice which retails for $140, for $49 and purchased 4 pairs.
stoptothink

Postby Five Scoop » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

For great coffee:

Bunn A10 brewer
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder
Five Scoop

Postby interplanetjanet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Ok, adding a few more...

Really nice looseleaf tea - black and oolong from Mountain Rose Herbs, sencha and matcha from o-cha.com (comes directly from Japan, packed under nitrogen and stored under refrigeration until shipment). The "cooking grade" matcha one normally finds in North America is not even on the same planet, tastewise.

A nice temperature-controlled kettle.

Well made comfortable shoes. I used to buy junky ones, never again.

A Bosch Universal mixer (beats the heck out of a Kitchenaid for anything involving thick dough).

Nice chefs knives - I like Wusthof. They also make some great grapefruit spoons.
interplanetjanet

Postby mullery » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I used to buy more premium products a few years ago, but have become more frugal. With that said, I still think the premium for the following products is worth it:

iPad
iPhone (not really a premium product any more since most smartphones in this class are about the same price)
Macintosh
Beer (microbrews and imports)
mullery

Postby keystone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Prior to reading this thread, I had no idea that a Webber Grill was considered a premium product. I have only owned Webbers and they are good grills, just never thought of them that way and don't ever remember paying a lot for one. I suppose there are much cheaper alternatives at Target.

Other premium products I buy:

Eneloop batteries (saw this suggestion on another thread and they are well worth it)
K-cups - taste is more important to me than price
keystone

Postby ieee488 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm

anything made in USA since you do have to pay more
Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04 + Windows 7), Dell Precision M6300 (Windows 7), Dell Latitude D530 (Windows Vista), Dell Latitude D531 (Windows Vista)
ieee488

Postby Sidney » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:Well made comfortable shoes.

Many years ago when I was just starting my career, I asked an older fellow what advice he could give me. The first words out of his mouth were "wear comfortable shoes."
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby Ged » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:26 pm

One of the most important thing I've found to be worth the extra money as I get older is a good mattress and associated accessories. A couple of years ago I bought a latex mattress from Sam's Club along with a nice wool cover. It really made a difference in my life.
Ged

Postby Rant2112 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Jim85 wrote:Toyotas - (never considered these premium, and buy gently used, 1-3 years old)
How much cheaper are you able to get them than new?

Every time I go to buy a Honda I find that I can get the dealer down far enough on a new car that a 2 year old used car is only about $1k less.

Am I missing something?
Rant2112

Postby Sconie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Q-Tips
Craftsman hand tools
Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola soft drinks, not store or off-brand
Lay's potato chips
Band-Aid flexible fabric adhesive bandages
Honda electical generator
Toyota & Honda vehicles
S&W, Browning, Beretta, Benelli, H&K & Sig Sauer firearms
CCI .22 rinfire ammunition
Behr solid color exterior stain
Leatherman multi-tools
Blue Bell ice cream
Lexel caulk
Sconie

Postby TSR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Two wildly different items:

1. I buy a lot of store brands at the grocery store, but I will always by Saran Wrap -- it is just so much easier to use.

2. I probably would never spend less than $2,500 on an acoustic guitar (buying used). I own a Martin OM-28 custom (plus adirondack top and a few other features) and a vintage Gibson L-00. Both sound great, play great, and will last forever/keep their value.
TSR

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

TSR wrote:Two wildly different items:

1. I buy a lot of store brands at the grocery store, but I will always by Saran Wrap -- it is just so much easier to use.

2. I probably would never spend less than $2,500 on an acoustic guitar (buying used). I own a Martin OM-28 custom (plus adirondack top and a few other features) and a vintage Gibson L-00. Both sound great, play great, and will last forever/keep their value.

My wife LOVES Costco's Kirkland wrap. Mainly because it comes in a dispenser with an easy to use cutter. Better than Saran Wrap.
Goodman60

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Rant2112 wrote:
Jim85 wrote:Toyotas - (never considered these premium, and buy gently used, 1-3 years old)
How much cheaper are you able to get them than new?

Every time I go to buy a Honda I find that I can get the dealer down far enough on a new car that a 2 year old used car is only about $1k less.

Am I missing something?

I have found, for the past 5-6 years but esp since cash for clunkers that the value is "new" for Toy/Hon.
Goodman60

Postby TSR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Goodman60 wrote:My wife LOVES Costco's Kirkland wrap. Mainly because it comes in a dispenser with an easy to use cutter. Better than Saran Wrap.

I've never used it! That probably speaks to some of the derelict store brands I've bought in my day.... Thanks for the heads-up.
TSR

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Ged wrote:One of the most important thing I've found to be worth the extra money as I get older is a good mattress and associated accessories. A couple of years ago I bought a latex mattress from Sam's Club along with a nice wool cover. It really made a difference in my life.

Reminded me of our ORIGINAL MATTRESS FACTORY mattresses. A regional (mid atlantic?) product. Fabulous bed. People pay almost as much as the bed itself in shipping to get them elsewhere.
Goodman60

Postby barnaclebob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Honeycrisp Apples, USDA Prime Beef from Costco, Scotch, Chicken Feed, and when I can afford it a $5000 watch.
barnaclebob

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks for the tip on THERMOPEN meat thermometer. I just ordered one due to the recommendation here!
Goodman60

Postby schuyler74 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Toilet Paper. Once you go quality, you can't go back.
schuyler74

Postby VictoriaF » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:06 pm

schuyler74 wrote:Toilet Paper. Once you go quality, you can't go back.

You have not traveled in Nepal.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby Rusa » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Goodman60 wrote:

My wife LOVES Costco's Kirkland wrap. Mainly because it comes in a dispenser with an easy to use cutter. Better than Saran Wrap.

Plus it will last you about 10 years under normal household use (3000 feet long!)
Rusa
Rusa

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 pm

All-Clad
Goodman60

Postby hicabob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Rusa wrote:
Goodman60 wrote:

Plus it will last you about 10 years under normal household use (3000 feet long!)

Yes - but the cutter only lasts for 6 years then you have to use the serrated edge for 4 years before you can treat yourself to a brand new box.
hicabob

Postby TTU » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Festool Power Tools
TTU

Postby likegarden » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 pm

We look for quality, functionality and substance, is that 'Premium', or is 'Premium' hyped up by marketing to get higher prices and added on but unnecessary complexity?

I noticed that grocery stores here have 18% higher prices than Walmart for same quality and brand names. But they added $1 to $1.98 one summer, so we switched to Walmart. We drove Buick for quality for 30 years, but noticed now that prices went up but internal space went down, and functions were added we did not need and wanted, so we bought Toyota. For us Walmart and Toyota are Premium because they have what we want at a good price.

Having driven cars (and grown up there) in Germany, I understand that those cars made over there are required for high speed driving on curvy and narrow roads. So a BMW and Audi are appropriate over there, but I do not understand why people over here buy those cars when our roads are wide and speed limit is 55 or 65 mph. Therefore, by that reasoning I do not consider BMW and Audi Premium.
likegarden

Postby HoosierMike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 pm

The older I get the more I appreciate good quality...so I buy it whenever I can (which is most of the time):
Blue Bell and Hagen Daz ice cream
Starbucks
Birkenstock shoes/sandals
Honda/Toyota cars
Michelin tires
Weber grill
Gillette razors and associated products
Morningstar Mutual Fund subscription
Marriott Hotels
Black Angus steak
Bonefish Grill
Hienekin, Corona, and Coors Gold
Most any West Coast 2008/2009 Merlot
Amazon Prime
USAA
Jockey underwear
RC Sproul/Ligonier MInistries --- Table Talk devotional magazine & any of his reformed theology books
Sony electronic products
Apple iPhone; Macbook Pro
HoosierMike

Postby leto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 pm

First Class or Business Class on all international flights.
ENVE wheels.
Assos T FI.13_S5 Bib Shorts
leto

Postby chipmonk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm not a very brand-loyal person, but I do like electronic gadgets. However, I have the good fortune to work for a tech company which gives me lots of them to play with at no cost :). That being said, there are a couple of premium products I frequently pay for.

Athletic shoes and clothing (mainly for running):
The difference in durability, comfort, and fit between Adidas/Nike/New Balance and everyone else is huge. Typically, I lean towards Adidas for shoes and Nike for clothing.

GPS watch:
I laugh whenever people tell me that they're using a free cell phone app to track their workouts. My Garmin GPS watch can only do one thing well (stopwatch with GPS recording and pacing) but it does it so much better than a general-purpose device due to its smaller form factor, better user interface, and long battery life. Totally worth it for even moderately-serious athletes.

My apartment:
Location, location, location. It costs me a bundle of money, but it makes me happy and keeps me in an interesting physical and social environment.
chipmonk

Postby Leemiller » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 pm

swaption wrote:Thermapen instant read meat thermometer

While it may seem crazy to spend $96 on an instant read meat thromometer (less 20% at Chef Central using 20% BB&B coupon), it is worth every penny. It literally is the Rolls Royce of meat thermometers. You will never have to guess if something is done. it is so fast that you can actually see the temp changing in real time as you move to different parts of the meat. Just the kind of splurge that makes a perfect Father's Day gift :wink:

Thanks for review. Since my husband has figured out how to make a great steak at home he rarely orders one while eating out. I make a great rack of lamb so we never order that either. We still eat out sometimes but the better we cook at home the pickier we get.
Leemiller

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I saw Gillette razors. I'm the opposite...I buy GOOD NEWS blue plastic razors for about 47 cents on Ebay in bulk. They last 15 days (I use 2 a month) if you dry them. Just as good as the $3-$4 blades. To me at least.
Goodman60

Postby 6miths » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 pm

SJG wrote:Sferra bed linens
Estate bottled olive oil from diferent regions (zingermans.com)
Aged prime steak (kind of a push, I only eat half as much as a lower quality steak)

Steve

I was just thinking that I don't really buy anything premium but then Steve hit on it - mattress, hardwood bedframe and bed linens. I don't really consider my entry level Acura with it's Michelin tires as premium. :happy
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Postby FrugalInvestor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Plus 2 or three
or whatever it happens to be
on the Thermapen
from me!
"Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, and over these ideals they dispute and cannot unite, but they all worship money. - Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby Grip » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 pm

leto wrote:First Class or Business Class on all international flights.
ENVE wheels.
Assos T FI.13_S5 Bib Shorts

I splurge on First Class even for long domestic flights. The food is still horrible, but the leg room is great.
Grip

Postby fatlittlepig » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 pm

actually the iPhone apps (eg runtastic) are much much more sophisticated than a garmin watch. the app costs a few bucks the watch can cost several hundreds. that being said, I do use a garmin watch for the sole reason that its easier for me to see my pace since its on my wrist whereas the iPhone I usually have in my waist band pocket thing.

chipmonk wrote:I'm not a very brand-loyal person, but I do like electronic gadgets. However, I have the good fortune to work for a tech company which gives me lots of them to play with at no cost :). That being said, there are a couple of premium products I frequently pay for.

Athletic shoes and clothing (mainly for running):
The difference in durability, comfort, and fit between Adidas/Nike/New Balance and everyone else is huge. Typically, I lean towards Adidas for shoes and Nike for clothing.

GPS watch:
I laugh whenever people tell me that they're using a free cell phone app to track their workouts. My Garmin GPS watch can only do one thing well (stopwatch with GPS recording and pacing) but it does it so much better than a general-purpose device due to its smaller form factor, better user interface, and long battery life. Totally worth it for even moderately-serious athletes.

My apartment:
Location, location, location. It costs me a bundle of money, but it makes me happy and keeps me in an interesting physical and social environment.
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby fatlittlepig » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 pm

I agree, dollar store razors for me.

Goodman60 wrote:I saw Gillette razors. I'm the opposite...I buy GOOD NEWS blue plastic razors for about 47 cents on Ebay in bulk. They last 15 days (I use 2 a month) if you dry them. Just as good as the $3-$4 blades. To me at least.
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby Murray Boyd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Miele vacuum. I'd rather have a luxury vac than a luxury car.
Murray Boyd

Postby frugaltype » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 am

Maglite flashlights.

Stanley tape measures.

Wild Delight birdseed, the "Gourmet outdoor pet food" variety. Everyone likes this as opposed to leaving trash seeds behind from cheaper mixes.

All liquid laundry detergent and Downy Soft fabric softener, both in the fragrance-free varieties.

Best Foods aka Hellman's mayonnaise.

ThinkPad laptops. Very happy with their reliability. As compared to HP laptops which are junk. Can't say in comparison to others.

Seventh Generation toilet paper and dishwasher detergent, for environmental reasons.

Organic and farmers' market produce.

A lot of stuff I have is old and if I had to replace it I'd look for it on ebay. A Singer sewing machine made out of cast iron vs. plastic, and so on.
Last edited by frugaltype on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugaltype

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Consumer Issues