Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Postby bigmantenor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:21 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
bigmantenor wrote:Purchased my first set of Michelin's due to their prominence in this thread, and all I can say is WOW. To be honest, I never realized that Michelins where considered a high quality brand (I always went for Yokohamas on my Mazda). They are whisper-quiet, and handle great. Assuming that I can get near the 55,000 miles out of them that they are warrantied for, Michelin will be getting more of my :moneybag in the future.

Actually I feel the opposite about Michelins. They cost close to double and the warranty is very hard to collect upon. Around here (Pittsburgh) the roads are bad, the hills are steep and winter is sometimes brutal. In other words, even Michelins take a beating that is not directly a premature wear issue...thus not a honored as warranty claim. That being said, I have sort of concluded that its better to get new tires twice as often for half the money. Just my .02

Tires are definitely YMMV with regard to cost. I drive a small hatchback (Kia Forte), which doesn't have very large wheels/tires (I think 17"). I had a golf-ball size bulge in my tire shortly after reading this thread, and shopped online at Tirerack and Discount. I ended up finding a nice set of Michelins for $104 a tire, which was mid-bottom as far as price but near the top with regard to treadwear warranty and overall reviews. Out the door price at Discount with everything included was $550, NOT including a $70 rebate they were doing at the time. I am fortunate to live in DFW, where the roads are not quite so bad as what you describe (and most of my driving is done via freeway). Heck, I got 45,000 miles out of the OEM tires that came on the car (I believe they were Goodyear).
bigmantenor

Postby cheesepep » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 am

Apple products

Recently bought a Suunto Elemtnum Terra watch. Very nice. A bit complicated to use since it has three buttons and I'm coming from Casio and Timex watches with four or more buttons with separate modes.

Also recently bought a pair of Skechers barefoot running shoes for about $100 where I usually buy $50 shoes. Very nice. Conforms to my feet with only a brief tie and feels like I'm wearing nothing. Helps with my feet because I no longer have callouses on my feet like my last pair of Skechers' shoes.
cheesepep

Postby Bob's not my name » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:33 am

ChocoHigos
Bob's not my name

Postby Stonebr » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:38 am

Johnson & Johnson Bandaids. Those Walgreen/CVS/etc knockoffs don't cut it.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Stonebr

Postby fkampere » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Electric toothbrush
fkampere

Postby travellight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 pm

If you've got internet already, the Ooma works really well as a landline. I've been using it for the past 3 years, and it's been flawless. Setup was literally one plug in and you're done. Totally hassle free, and worth the $200ish startup cost imo. I also bought a Ooma handset , which allows you to make simultaneous outgoing calls just like you have 2 separate phone lines, even though you only have one. (It calls this a 'virtual' second line - one for the Ooma-brand handset, and the other for the regular phone in-jack where I plug in a standard wireless phone.)

thanks for that tip, lightheir. I will research it further. I have the lowest DSL internet option at $30/month so I want to make sure it can handle any extra demand due to Ooma since it is barely enough for my household. I am too frugal to upgrade $10/month on my internet. I like the fact that you can send faxes with Ooma as I just have realized that my fax machine no longer works due to switching to verizon's home connect which I think is DSL; at any rate, it does not use the phone line. Looks like the cost of Ooma is about $3.57/month and you pay $40 one time for keeping your old phone number. I see a current price as low as $129 on e-bay for a new unit.
travellight

Postby travellight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 pm

a link that had some helpful comparison data on VOIP vs other options:

http://michaelbluejay.com/consumer/phone.html
travellight

Postby VictoriaF » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

When I have to bring a bottle of wine I tend to err on the expensive side. And now economists are asking Is Wine Bullshit?

priceonomics wrote:Since a $5 wine can so easily be mistaken for a $50 wine, we encourage you to unabashedly reach for wine on the bottom shelf. We've applied this principle, often a bit self-righteously.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby EvelynTroy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I've learned some things in this thread -
I'm going to look into those Point6 socks - I love my SmartWool socks and thought they were the Lexus of socks.

My list:
Holland Grill - made in USA will not flame up. Love it.
Toyota Avalon (never thought of it as premium)
Oral B Sonic professional electric toothbrush
Eagle Optics - Viper binoculars and the new Razor spotting scope - w/Manfrotto tripod
Properly fitted walking/hiking shoes at REI
ProTeam Backpack Vacuum cleaner
Oakley Sunglasses or Maui Jim

This topic was on a personal finance blog I follow - the blogger reccomended these clippers - I'm buying these.
http://www.amazon.com/Seki-Edge-Toe-Nail-Clipper/dp/B000F37UNM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372198872&sr=8-2&keywords=toe+nail+clipper+professional

Evelyn
EvelynTroy

Postby jayjayc » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 am

EvelynTroy wrote:I've learned some things in this thread -
I'm going to look into those Point6 socks - I love my SmartWool socks and thought they were the Lexus of socks.
Evelyn

I own SmartWool, Thorlo, Point 6, Columbia and Kirkland Signature wool socks. They're all pretty good since they're all made of merino wool but my favorite is SmartWool.
jayjayc

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 am

jayjayc wrote:
Evelyn

I own SmartWool, Thorlo, Point 6, Columbia and Kirkland Signature wool socks. They're all pretty good since they're all made of merino wool but my favorite is SmartWool.

And that, my friend, is what makes horse races :sharebeer
TomatoTomahto

Postby Andyrunner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:16 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
jayjayc wrote:
Evelyn

And that, my friend, is what makes horse races :sharebeer

Smartwool in my opinion has really gone down in quality over the past few years, I think they were eventually bought out by Timberland Co and the quality has dropped since then. I suggest Fits socks as a replacement.
Andyrunner

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Dulocracy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Sam I Am wrote:My daughters and wife like Coach products. They aren't as pricey as Louis Vuitton, thankfully!

I just bought my middle daughter a Coach diaper bag, as my new grandson will be making his appearance any day now. Can't have his diapers kept in a pink Coach diaper bag, now can we? :D

Sam I Am

Please tell me this is a joke. Please.

Please?
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Dulocracy

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Gleevec » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Amazon Prime
Flying business class with reward points for long international flights
Apple Iphone/Ipad/Macbook
Brooks Brothers suits/shirts/pants for work
Gleevec

Postby leod » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 am

Asics running shoes, I used to replace Nike every year
Pampers/Huggies diapers, torn diapers are not fun when full
Apple, warranty alone is worth it. They replaced broken phone/ipad within a year of ownership.
Costco, Samsclub
Hampton Inn, we like the breakfast
Samsonite Luggage
Gap, Macy's (when they go on sale)
Rayban/Oakley

Rolex :D
leod

Postby Random Poster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm

leod wrote:Hampton Inn, we like the breakfast

How often do you have it? :shock:

Can't say that I know of many people who claim to like Hampton's breakfast offerings. Perhaps you should get Gold status (if you don't have it already, and it is pretty easy to obtain) and stay at a Hilton Garden Inn--free breakfast for Gold (and Diamond) Hilton Honors members, and their breakfast offers real (and freshly cooked) eggs.
Random Poster

Postby Bob's not my name » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:37 pm

After a run in year-old shoes, anything would taste good.
Bob's not my name

Postby Old Guy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm

An urban condominium in a marvelous location

Absolutely. We bought a 2+2 in downtown Chicago on the 18th floor in River North for weekend use. It makes absolutely no economic sense and we will loose money when we sell , but it gives us great enjoyment.

I also am very happy with the 2011 Ford Explorer now that I have just about mastered it's airline cockpit plethora of electronic options. Leather seats too.
Like Amazon Prime and all the apple, mostly unneeded, portable stuff.
I just found out that I can order Tastykakes, http://www.tastykake.com/, on-line from Amazon (link is too long). Having grown up in NJ, and now living in the Midwest where they are not available, I really, really want some. So far I'm finding them too expensive to order. The shipping is more than the product.
And we pay for extra leg room on United on longer flights.
Old Guy

Postby leod » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Random Poster wrote:

Can't say that I know of many people who claim to like Hampton's breakfast offerings. Perhaps you should get Gold status (if you don't have it already, and it is pretty easy to obtain) and stay at a Hilton Garden Inn--free breakfast for Gold (and Diamond) Hilton Honors members, and their breakfast offers real (and freshly cooked) eggs.

We usually stay there when we go on vacations 3-4X a year. We'll try Hilton Garden Inn per your recommendation, they appear to be a better version of Hampton.
leod

Postby DAK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Banana Republic slim fit non iron shirts, or the same from Brooks Bros.
Wolf/Subzero gas range/refridgerator
DAK

Postby Random Poster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:11 pm

leod wrote:
Random Poster wrote:

We usually stay there when we go on vacations 3-4X a year. We'll try Hilton Garden Inn per your recommendation, they appear to be a better version of Hampton.

Just my opinion, but I've found that Hilton Garden Inns are better in the West than elsewhere--in Montana and Idaho in particular. The best one that I know of is in Kalispell MT. I've had good luck with Homewood Suites as well--breakfast isn't quite as freshly made as what HGI offers, but if you are staying for any extended period of time, they offer a (small) kitchen (but with a full size refrigerator) and a light dinner-type meal Monday through Thursday. Best Homewood Suites that I know of is in Bozeman MT (and next door is a Hampton Inn, in case you really miss their breakfasts!).

That all being said, I have to admit that I find Hampton's beds to be more comfortable than HGI's, but that's another issue and I don't want to threadjack.
Random Poster

Postby oxothuk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Goodman60 wrote:
Flashes1 wrote:
fatlittlepig wrote:I agree that American cars are world class these days. But if you look at Consumer Reports and JDPowers, TOY/HON are still the leaders. As well they are the leaders in resale value and durability. And generally they command a somewhat higher price new than comparable GM cars. So for purposes of this discussion TOY/HON are "premium" products that cost more up front, but are worth the difference to many of us.

What has happened, IMHO, is that the gap has narrowed to the point where difference isn't worth paying a big premium for.

This has happened in other industries too. Wine is one example. Two-buck-Chuck is a huge improvement over bottom-shelf wines from a generation ago (Boone's Farm?).

I once heard a baseball analyst state that Babe Ruth was able to amass his home run records in an era when there were lots of lousy pitchers, and his feats became much harder to replicate afterwards because the overall skill of pitchers had improved.
oxothuk

Postby Dutch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 pm

No-iron dress shirts from Brooks Brothers
Socks and T-shirts from Smartwool: it's impossible to appreciate the difference until you try i
Dutch

Postby Ged » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm

EvelynTroy wrote:This topic was on a personal finance blog I follow - the blogger reccomended these clippers - I'm buying these.
http://www.amazon.com/Seki-Edge-Toe-Nail-Clipper/dp/B000F37UNM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372198872&sr=8-2&keywords=toe+nail+clipper+professional
Evelyn

I use a different Seki product. It works better for me than the clippers.

http://www.amazon.com/Seki-Edge-Acrylic ... rylic+nail
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Ged

Postby topper1296 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm

My set of Wustof kitchen knives have been worth it for me.
topper1296

Postby puck2005 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

darn tough socks - lifetime warranty.

brooks brothers non iron shirts
puck2005

Postby snyder66 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm

I consider very few of these to be premium products. Maybe, I have the problem...
snyder66

Postby stoptothink » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 pm

oxothuk wrote:
I once heard a baseball analyst state that Babe Ruth was able to amass his home run records in an era when there were lots of lousy pitchers, and his feats became much harder to replicate afterwards because the overall skill of pitchers had improved.

In several seasons he also had more homeruns than some entire teams. By sheer comparison to other sluggers of the time period there is no way to minimize his feats.
stoptothink

Postby SPG8 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:34 pm

snyder66 wrote:Maybe, I have the problem...
You're probably winning the game.

Maybe they aren't?
SPG8

Postby protagonist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Musical instruments, sports equipment, practical shoes, fresh fish.
protagonist

Postby Danno77 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:40 am

Can't believe that no one has mentioned Jockey undershirts. Last for years and years and can't be beaten for comfort and fit. I'm not so sure I could go on without them at this point!
Danno77

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 pm

I decided to follow up on the rec for woven floss, given the periodontal issues that run in the family.

From what I can tell - hard to find, only made by Johnson & Johnson.

In my opinion: better than regular, but not as good as dental *tape*

BFG - floss on.
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 pm

SAS shoes. Normally $150 and worth every penny. But if you buy them on eBay, you can sometimes get them for as low as $30!
zaboomafoozarg

Postby ML 59 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 pm

My list of non-frugals:
Properly fitted Italian shotguns
John Deere lawn equipment - X series through compact tractors
Snap-on hand tools – they feel better in the hands and last forever
Handmade hunting knives – functional works of art.
You will never lure the wife away from Lexus automobiles.

Also non-Boglehead in nature: a relatively small % of VGHCX (Health Care) in an otherwise indexed portfolio. :happy
ML 59

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Properly fitted Italian shotguns
John Deere lawn equipment - X series through compact tractors
Snap-on hand tools – they feel better in the hands and last forever
Handmade hunting knives – functional works of art.
You will never lure the wife away from Lexus automobiles.

Also non-Boglehead in nature: a relatively small % of VGHCX (Health Care) in an otherwise indexed portfolio

Sylvester Stallone! :) I had no idea you were a Boglehead :) :beer
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby protagonist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:22 pm

zaboomafoozarg wrote:SAS shoes. Normally $150 and worth every penny. But if you buy them on eBay, you can sometimes get them for as low as $30!

Really? I have worn nothing but SAS shoes when I wear "real shoes" for at least 2 decades, but I have always paid around $150.. $30 new???? I never bought shoes online before, no less on ebay. Are these just old, unsold models? No issues?
protagonist

Postby Easy Rhino » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm

texasdiver wrote:Costco sirloin burger patties

I'm not sure if that counts as 'premium' :)

i'll buy coke-brand diet coke 100 times out of 100.

And I will, at various points, splurge on food. But sometimes I'm won't, so it's pretty inconsistent. i'm always willing to try the cheaper stuff to see if it's as good or better than the expensive stuff
Easy Rhino

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:05 pm

protagonist wrote:
zaboomafoozarg wrote:SAS shoes. Normally $150 and worth every penny. But if you buy them on eBay, you can sometimes get them for as low as $30!

Really? I have worn nothing but SAS shoes when I wear "real shoes" for at least 2 decades, but I have always paid around $150.. $30 new???? I never bought shoes online before, no less on ebay. Are these just old, unsold models? No issues?

Depends on the auction. Once I found a brand new pair on eBay, but more frequently I get them gently used - honestly a lot of the time it looks/feels like they've been only worn a few times. $30 has been my lowest price, occasionally I've spent up to $50.

There are of course ones that are beat up, but it's usually pretty evident from the pictures, so I don't bid on those. I've never received a pair that didn't feel like it was as good as new.
zaboomafoozarg

Postby brainstem » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 am

Have read comments about cheap vs pricier wine

That is why my expense for a wine tasting newsletter is my justified expense ....

Guides me to high quality wine without the big price and avoid paying for bad wine if I up my price point for a special meal.
brainstem

Postby rotosound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:45 pm

High end mountain bikes and road bikes. I'm talking about the super bikes the pros ride in the Tour du France. But when I go for a ride that is not near my house, I carry the bikes in the back of my 10 year old Toyota Pickup. You aren't a serious cyclist unless your bike is worth more than your car. :happy
rotosound

Postby Hikes_With_Dogs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Padlin wrote:I get the best I can afford in many areas, a few I can think of that may be classified as Premium would be

Tires
Cigars
Outdoor/Backpacking gear

Second the outdoor/backpacking gear. I always buy the best boots for hiking. You don't want to be 10, 20, 30 miles from anywhere when your boot suddenly explodes for no reason or your feet have horrific blisters. And you don't want your tent to leak. Or your sleeping bag to be cold. I always buy what I think is the best quality for these items, regardless of price.
Hikes_With_Dogs

Postby lightheir » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

rotosound wrote:High end mountain bikes and road bikes. I'm talking about the super bikes the pros ride in the Tour du France. But when I go for a ride that is not near my house, I carry the bikes in the back of my 10 year old Toyota Pickup. You aren't a serious cyclist unless your bike is worth more than your car. :happy

I have both a high-end $3k bike with top-end parts as well as a $600 entry-level road bike with bottom-end parts (but is still not a "walmart" bike.)

I think my $3k bike is worth the money for the looks, appeal, and durability, but it's well known that the $600 bike will be just as fast and essentially as smooth as the $3k bike. This has borne out in my practice as well - I get no time savings from racing on the pricey bike.

So I could def see someone making the argument that premium $3k+ bikes are totally not worth the money in terms of function, since you get 99% of the speed, and probably 90+% of the function (mainly differences in shifting speed, and small weight differences with negligible effects on speed) with the entry lvl bike.
lightheir

Postby Mark13 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:40 pm

My Rossignol S3 Freeride skis.
Mark13

Postby Hector » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 pm

I like to have more pairs of running shoes than I need.
Hector

Postby jayjayc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I love my Spieglau and Riedel wine glasses. In my opinion, they really enhance the wine consumption experience.
jayjayc

Postby soaring » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Breville toaster...perfect everytime.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/lift-look-to ... aster.html
Desiderata
soaring

Postby Caduceus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I had to think about this a little!

Allen Edmonds shoes + recrafting (to the poster who speaks about how Alden's quality is better/lasts longer, if you can elaborate, I'd be grateful! is it because of the construction?)
Asics running shoes
Sonicare toothbrush
Kindle Paperwhite
tailored dress shirts

With the exception of the Sonicare toothbrush and the Asics running shoes, the rest of the products are actually less expensive than their lower-quality counterparts (which will need to be replaced more frequently) over a product lifetime. I've also stopped buying physical books (except reference books) because of the Kindle. Kindle editions are usually cheaper, don't have to be stored, moved, or cared for, and won't deteriorate.
Caduceus

Postby reisner » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Icebreaker wool T shirts, but always bought at a discount.

Leica binoculars. Don't like Zeiss, haven't tried Svarowski.

Pelikan fountain pens and Noodler's ink.

Llewellin setter dogs. Not AKC, thank heavens.

Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet.

My sporterized Mauser made in Berlin in 1918, 7X57.

But most of all, poets and prose writers with a real ear for the language who can write exquisite sentences and lines that speak to my condition. A few among the living: Hilary Mantel, Les Murray, Jim Harrison, Richard Wilbur.
reisner

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Consumer Issues