Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Postby Goodman60 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 pm

I am wondering what premium products are worth it to Bogleheads? I have a few: Weber grilles, Lexus cars, iPhone/Ipad Apple products, Michelin tires. On the other hand, I have a friend who is into $25,000 TVs and laughs at my $399 Visio that is perfectly fine. I also won't buy ANY watch (my iPhone is now my watch) and find my $200 Canon pocket camera 97% as good as the $1500 digital "outfits". I used to value Dell computers but next time will buy the cheapest desktop I can find...it's a commodity now I believe. I also find EQUATE personal products (antibiotic cream, athlete's foot cream) to be as good as the name brand for about half the cost.

Just some musings about product value. Wondering if I am missing some other premium products that are worth it (and perhaps missing some deals on substitutes for premium stuff that is nearly as good as the "name brand")?
Goodman60

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Postby chaz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 pm

My iPad is worth it to me, but I drive a Toyota.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby cheese_breath » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 pm

Nabisco Pinwheel Marshmallow cookies. In fact I just finished a package earlier tonight. I usually buy store brand foods, but I've not been able to find a store brand marchmallow cookies that's as good as the Nabisco Pinwheels.

I often do the grocery shopping for my 88 year old mother in law. She isn't a Boglehead (far from it), and she has very specific food brands she wants. If I try to save her money by buying a less expensive brand she throws it out without even trying it.
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby Goodman60 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 pm

I agree about Toyota and would add Honda, even though they are more like "category quality leaders" than premium products.
Goodman60

Postby bottlecap » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 am

I have a Weber grill and have started buying Michelins, mostly because they last longer and tend to perform better. I have a $200 pair of sunglasses after years of $20 pairs. I like real bedroom suites and dining room sets, although I don't go too crazy, I just don't think those things should be disposable. We buy decent tvs, but certainly not like your friend. We bought a good car seat for our toddler.

I can think of much else.

JT
bottlecap

Postby interplanetjanet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

in no particular order,

Ziploc brand zippered storage bags
Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries
Alvin Draft/Matic mechanical pencils
Braun epilator and toothbrushes
Tektronix and Fluke electronic test equipment
interplanetjanet

Postby schuyler74 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:04 am

schuyler74

Postby Dougroseville » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 am

Our premium product (besides iPads, Sonicare toothbrushes, and Michelin tires) is Barleans Highest Lignan Flax Oil Liquid - 100% Organic. Its list price is $39.95 a quart, but we buy 6 at a time online (and freeze them) for about $32 a quart. What makes it unique is that it actually tastes good.

Years ago, I would have been ashamed of the future me: I will buy cheap tools for light household purposes at HarborFreight..
Dougroseville

Postby HongKonger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 am

Barilla pasta
Frette towels
Lock n Lock plastic containers
Dettol disinfectant
Samsonite luggage and travel accessories

Fair trade products - coffee, chocolate etc. I'm not really fussy about the brand but I will certainly pay the premium for Fair Trade goods.
HongKonger

Postby momar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 am

Beer, steaks.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
momar

Postby Padlin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 am

I get the best I can afford in many areas, a few I can think of that may be classified as Premium would be

Tires
Cigars
Outdoor/Backpacking gear
Regards | Bob
Padlin

Postby Goodman60 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:09 am

HongKonger wrote:Barilla pasta
Frette towels
Dettol disinfectant

Fair trade products - coffee, chocolate etc. I'm not really fussy about the brand but I will certainly pay the premium for Fair Trade goods.

My wife was thrilled with Lock 'n Lock but now laments that they have not held up. The tabs on some are breaking off. Not immediately, but years sooner than how long traditional Tupperware lasts.
Goodman60

Postby VictoriaF » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 am

Organic groceries.
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby Jim85 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am

Weber grills
Apple products (iPod, iPhone)
Toyotas - (never considered these premium, and buy gently used, 1-3 years old)

Really only consider the Apple stuff premium. The Weber and Toyota products are just smart choices I think. Just replaced my Weber after 20+ years with another Weber.

What's up with Michelin tires? Are they a luxury or best bang for the buck based on how they wear/perform? I buy my tires at Walmart or via Tirerack.com
Jim85

Postby atwood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 am

Goodman60 wrote:
Frette towels
Dettol disinfectant

My wife was thrilled with Lock 'n Lock but now laments that they have not held up. The tabs on some are breaking off. Not immediately, but years sooner than how long traditional Tupperware lasts.

I've had the same experience with Lock n Lock, although I've never thought of it as a premium quality brand.
atwood

Postby prudent » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 am

We don't buy a lot of stuff but the one thing we did go premium on was the Weber grill. 14 years old.
prudent

Postby SteveB3005 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 am

Kingsford Charcoal, Hormel Black Label bacon, Shimano fishing reels, Clorox, Kashi cereal, and high grade garden hoses.
SteveB3005

Postby ruralavalon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 am

Kona coffee from the Big Island of Hawaii, Greenwell Farms Coffee .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
ruralavalon

Postby bottlecap » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 am

Jim85 wrote:.What's up with Michelin tires? Are they a luxury or best bang for the buck based on how they wear/perform? I buy my tires at Walmart or via Tirerack.com

They have the best combination of durability, safety, comfort and handling. You pay nearly twice as much, but mine are warrantied for 90,000 miles and they should make it.

I'm somewhat surprised that everyone considers Apple "premium", although it is sometimes priced at a premium. At least as far as the phones go (and I have one), they're certainly not the best on the market.

JT
bottlecap

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:01 am

Dell Optiplex with pro support. When I had a major assignment for a client and was working at 1AM Saturday morning, Dell came through. I had pro support, and he remotely diagnosed the problem and fixed it in 30 minutes. I have been with Dell/Optiplex/Pro Support since. I have heard their regular support is less than stellar. But, I have only good things to say about pro support.

It probably saved the client, since I finished on the promised time.
Back then, I did not have a backup computer.
Rob5TCP

Postby ofcmetz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am

chaz wrote:My iPad is worth it to me, but I drive a Toyota.

^This.

Other's would be:

I prefer Smith and Wesson to Taurus for a revolver and will pay more. With beer, I'll pay more for a local microbrew vs something like Natural Light. I agree OP, Equate makes some fine products and that's usually what I get as well. Oh, most of the time I buy the name brand breakfast cereal as the copies don't always taste quite right to me.
Showing up at the donut shop at 5 am to get them hot out of the oil is an example of successful market timing.
ofcmetz

Postby gerrym51 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 am

Devil Dogs
gerrym51

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 am

ofcmetz wrote:

^This.

Other's would be:

I prefer Smith and Wesson to Taurus for a revolver and will pay more. With beer, I'll pay more for a local microbrew vs something like Natural Light. I agree OP, Equate makes some fine products and that's usually what I get as well. Oh, most of the time I buy the name brand breakfast cereal as the copies don't always taste quite right to me.

You walk the beat with a revolver? Most around here use either the Glock 9mm or S&W .40 semi.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:05 am

gerrym51 wrote:Devil Dogs

Ring Dings, Drakes cakes, Pepperidge Farms Milanos, Breyers in the freezer section, Heinz 57 ketchup.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby FrugalInvestor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:16 am

I appreciate and will purchase premium products when they perform significantly better than their mid-line counterparts. That in my mind is the definition of 'value' and I always look for value in the products I purchase and use. However, I always look for deals on premium products through discounters, sales, coupon codes, lightly used products, etc. I appreciate quality but not the excessive price premium that is often attached to it.
"All generalizations are false, including this one." | -Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am

Starbucks, quality produce and similar (esp from farmers markets), Japanese vehicles,
French perfumes and cosmetics, Ziplok brand zip lock bags, Reynolds foil, Charmin TP, quality cotton bedding...

but happy with Craigslist furniture (not the upholstered type however, lol) used books, casual clothes,
yard sale treasures.

I thought my iPod was cheap for what it delivers...so not sure that is a premium and I have a Bose stereo acquired with credit card reward points - so not sure if I would have bought it with my own funds, but it delivers great sound. Is Bose a good value (calling audiophiles?)

BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 am

Grass-raised beef (usually local, not grass-finished but raised on grass all the way)
Nikon (D4, f/2.8 lenses)
Point 6 wool socks (Lexus to SmartWool's Toyota)
Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries
Private school for my kids
TomatoTomahto

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am

Hi can you clarify grass all the way versus grass finished and where you make your purchases?

Thank you...BFG
Barefootgirl

Postby vectorizer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am

Steaks, and premium food in general
If I'm going to splurge on the calories and fat grams, I only want something outstanding.

Computers
I build my own, aimed at content creation (not gaming). Usually get the fastest overclockable CPU available that's not an Intel "extreme edition". Actually, I'm overdue to build another one; it's been over 4 years!

Camcorders and cameras
I don't go overboard into "prosumer" lines, but I do get premium consumer models of picture-taking equipment, mostly for the flexibility those premium models offer. Creating memories for future generations is important work.
vectorizer

Postby swaption » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am

Thermapen instant read meat thermometer

While it may seem crazy to spend $96 on an instant read meat thromometer (less 20% at Chef Central using 20% BB&B coupon), it is worth every penny. It literally is the Rolls Royce of meat thermometers. You will never have to guess if something is done. it is so fast that you can actually see the temp changing in real time as you move to different parts of the meat. Just the kind of splurge that makes a perfect Father's Day gift :wink:
Last edited by swaption on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
swaption

Postby mbenz1997 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am

My splurges:

Ipad
Lexus
Movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime
An occasional nice dinner out :beer
mbenz1997

Postby Ged » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 am

Computers - I build my own from premium parts that Dell mostly doesn't offer
Monitors - Either Dell or HP IPS panels
Keyboards - Vintage IBM Model M

Audio - Revel Speakers, Theta amps and Oppo Blu-Ray players
Furniture - Hancock & Moore leather
Office Chairs - Steelcase Leap

Tools - Festool power tools
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Ged

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 am

Barefootgirl wrote:Hi can you clarify grass all the way versus grass finished and where you make your purchases?

Thank you...BFG

BFG, I usually purchase at Whole Foods, but during the summer there is a farmers market that has this kind of beef.

From what I understand (and what I know would fit into a thimble with room left over for a good book), grass-finishing consists of feeding the cattle grass during the week or so before slaughter, and entitles the beef to be labeled "grass-fed." Sometimes the terms "pasture raised" or "grass raised" are used, which means that the animals have spent their entire lives feeding on pasture.

FWIW, I have found that it is not as much more expensive than "normal" beef as it seems at first glance because it doesn't cook down as much. It is, however, still more expensive.
TomatoTomahto

Postby HongKonger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 am

atwood wrote:
Goodman60 wrote:
Frette towels
Dettol disinfectant

I've had the same experience with Lock n Lock, although I've never thought of it as a premium quality brand.

At 40 plus HK dollars a pop compared to the 3 for 20 hongkie dollar copies, they are the top notch of their kind (although I confess I am slowly forking out to convert to glasslock). I have had some of mine for 8 years plus and they hold up just fine.
HongKonger

Postby dickenjb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:39 am

Lexus and Acura automobiles
iPads and iPhones, Verizon as carrier
EVOO
nice dinners out including The French Laundry, Nobu, etc
Thermapen (but I have the $20 one not the $100 one - still fabulous, don't know how I cooked without one)
Kamado ceramic grill - only use hardwood lump charcoal, will not use Kingsford which I consider unacceptable
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb

Postby chaz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
ofcmetz wrote:

^This.

Other's would be:

You walk the beat with a revolver? Most around here use either the Glock 9mm or S&W .40 semi.

Maybe his personal weapon, not issued by his employer.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 am

This thread is getting expensive; thus far, I've decided to get a Lock n Lock container and a Thermapen :)

An addition to my list: large 72" TV. I just can't watch hockey on a smaller screen. It might be a money saver, though, in that I no longer buy tickets to the game very often since it is fine watching at home.
TomatoTomahto

Postby gerrym51 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:14 am

Ged wrote:Computers - I build my own from premium parts that Dell mostly doesn't offer
Monitors - Either Dell or HP IPS panels
Keyboards - Vintage IBM Model M

Audio - Revel Speakers, Theta amps and Oppo Blu-Ray players
Furniture - Hancock & Moore leather
Office Chairs - Steelcase Leap

Tools - Festool power tools

are you a gamer and need high power and super graphics card. I had a nividia card installed on my last gaming computer
gerrym51

Postby wesleymouch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 am

Nest thermostats. Pure luxury and saves money in the long run.
Those who tout Starbucks should check the coffees at teaandcoffeewarehouse.com. Same quality beans at a fraction of the price. Starbucks is pure marketing of a mediocre product
wesleymouch

Postby gerrym51 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 am

I bought a Sony Bravia 40 inch tv in 2003. still going strong great picture-although technology has surpassed it now. If i need to buy a new tv it will be the latest Sony Bravia today
gerrym51

Postby SJG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am

Sferra bed linens
Estate bottled olive oil from diferent regions (zingermans.com)
Aged prime steak (kind of a push, I only eat half as much as a lower quality steak)

Steve
SJG

Postby NateH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am

We buy a lot of store-brand stuff (costco, target, etc), but some things we do not compromise on:

beef - 95% of what we buy comes from the butcher and we buy the animal directly from the farmer we know
Oreos
Q-Tips
all of our faucets are hansgrohe.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year.
NateH

Postby jebmke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am

swaption wrote:Thermapen instant read meat thermometer

While it may seem crazy to spend $96 on an instant read meat thromometer (less 20% at Chef Central using 20% BB&B coupon), it is worth every penny. It literally is the Rolls Royce of meat thermometers. You will never have to guess if something is done. it is so fast that you can actually see the temp changing in real time as you move to different parts of the meat. Just the kind of splurge that makes a perfect Father's Day gift :wink:

I got one of these a year or so ago. These are great.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Postby swaption » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:This thread is getting expensive; thus far, I've decided to get a Lock n Lock container and a Thermapen :)

Presumably over cooked grass fed beef ain't cheap either.
swaption

Postby hicabob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

Logitech G7 mice, logitech keyboards, steelseries mousepads and a pair of large hi-res Samsung monitors - expensive computer chairs too (HM's) ... and decent beer/food! :sharebeer
hicabob

Postby dratkinson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 pm

A small 1xAAA keychain penlight by Titanium Innovations, the aluminum model "Illuminati": 3/30/115 lumen. Or you can get it in titanium for twice the price.
d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Postby inbox788 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Jim85 wrote:.What's up with Michelin tires? Are they a luxury or best bang for the buck based on how they wear/perform? I buy my tires at Walmart or via Tirerack.com

They have the best combination of durability, safety, comfort and handling. You pay nearly twice as much, but mine are warrantied for 90,000 miles and they should make it.

I'm somewhat surprised that everyone considers Apple "premium", although it is sometimes priced at a premium. At least as far as the phones go (and I have one), they're certainly not the best on the market.

JT

I'm the type that values quality over brand. The brand might be a factor, but mainly to include it in the selection, not critical to the final choice. In my case, price was only $100 more for a set of 4 and it came with extras.

I shopped around and I used tire rack to see the best tires for my car. Best choices for me were 60k Yokohama ascend for $550 at a local shop vs. 90k Michelin defender xl for $650 at Costco (itself a brand, I'm already a member so don't count the membership cost). For the extra $100, I get free lifetime rotations and free repairable tire fixes not included by the local shop, but most importantly, IMO, a better tire. After a few hundred miles, I'm very impressed by the tires ride comfort and noise vs OEM tire. I'm sure the Yoko would have been better than sucky OEM, and without directly comparing Toko vs. Michelin, will never know for sure.

My decision was not based on brand as much as other factors. I would have liked supporting local business and not deal with crowds, time and distance of trekking to Costco, but I'm very happy with my choice. The extra 30k miles wasn't even a factor as these tires might not even see 30k miles, but for high mileage drivers, the value of the Michelins is even cheaper per mile!

BTW, from my past experience, iPads have been more heavily used and functional, while most other tablets have tended to gather dust. Many people I know that bought pre-ICS are barely using them, while those with iPads still use them often or daily. I think this is more a matter of function, and not brand. Going forward, jury is still out.
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
inbox788

Postby ssquared87 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm

iPhone/Verizon
Macbook Air
Shure SE 425 headphones (but paid about half of what they currently sell for)
55" Panasonic Plasma (got it lightly used and 1 year old for $500)
Skis/Cycling equipment
Last edited by ssquared87 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ssquared87

Postby texasdiver » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm

I for for quality for things I use every day

Running Shoes (I buy high-end Asics for the fit)
Pretty much any cycling gear
Knives (leatherman multi-tools and kitchen knives)
tires (always buy the best michelins Costco has available)
Vacuum cleaner (Dyson)
iPhone 5
Weber Grill (I use it nearly daily here in TX for grilling and coffee roasting)
Briefcase and wallet (I'm fussy about these)
Most power tools. I usually buy contractor grade
Costco sirloin burger patties
texasdiver

Postby tludwig23 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.
Down pillows.
"I do not regard a broker as a member of the human race." Honore de Balzac (1799-1850)
tludwig23

Next

Return to Personal Consumer Issues