Plan to ditch Century Link and current Home Security Prov.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Plan to ditch Century Link and current Home Security Prov.

Post by newkidontheblock »

Hi:

We get our current home phone service from Century Link. We only have basic home service with caller id as the only optional feature but the bill is still $34 per month.
For long distance we have a VOIP service where we make international and domestic long distance calls. Monthly bill is around $50.
When we bought our home it had home security system installed by Appollo Systems. We have cellular back for alarms. Home security system uses land line but reverts to cell phone if land line is dead.
Our monthly bill for security system is $30.

I haven't been able to ditch the Century link due to issues with the security system. Security system requires a land line.
I am thinking of signing up for Simplisafe for security and Ooma for phone. I am still trying to figure out how much they charge for international calls.

Has anyone else gone this route? Please share your experiences/challenges/lessons learned.

Thanks
bertilak

Re: Plan to ditch Century Link and current Home Security Pro

Post by bertilak »

I signed up for Century Link for the same reason you did -- alarm system. They required a land line.

A couple of points, in the spirit of "lessons learned":
  1. I ended up getting a fax machine since certain family matters suddenly required a lot of faxing. The land line came in handy for that. But this need is starting to fade away -- even lawyers are now starting to take email with scanned documents attached as PDFs. I still occasionally need to fax things, thouigh.
  2. My DirecTV billing is managed by Century Link and I get a $5 rebate from DirecTV for bundling it that way.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet