What are your favorite android smartphone apps?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Browser

What are your favorite android smartphone apps?

Post by Browser »

Finally decided to try out a smartphone and got one with android OS. Now I'm on the lookout for nifty apps that I can use with it. I don't want to clog it up with a bunch of stuff because it's my understanding that many of those little apps are continually sucking battery power and my smartphone doesn't have the greatest battery life to begin with. Like to narrow it down to the best of the best. Love to know what android apps you have found to be worth having.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
PatSea

Re: What are your favorite android smartphone apps?

Post by PatSea »

My two favorites:
Gas Buddy - find cheapest gas nearby or along the route

Weather Channel
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

Google navigator and a good mount for the phone on the dashboard.

Toggle app - for switch between ring, vibrate and silent

Battery app - shows batter strength on the desktop

News apps nbc, cnn, abd etc

Weather app

Also see:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=905854
matjen

Post by matjen »

Waze for navigation
Pocket for the ability to mark articles on your browser and have them automatically transferred and formatted correctly to be read on your phone EVEN when you have no signal. (Think subway ride or airplane).
Feedly or HD Reader for news aggregation/reader. Pulse is also good but a little less compact.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

Mint.com app (if you use it)

Cardio trainer - if you walk/run/bike this app will track your route along with your pace/calories burned/distance/speed/elevation.

Tasker - app that let's you automate pretty much anything on your phone. Difficult to use but once you learn its very useful. You can have your phone turn your WiFi off and turn your screen brightness up and turn your GPS on and ringer volume up when you leave your house for instance. Or you can have the app mute all sounds and put your ringer on silent when your google calendar shows that you are in a meeting. You can have it so that when someone calls you while you are driving it will send them a text letting them know you are driving and can't text. The possibilities are endless. And if you are really good you can pair it up with an app on your computer and have your computer turn on when you get close to home or pair it to a smart tv and automatically mute the tv when your phone rings.

TuneInRadio - you can listen to local radio stations or other radio stations around the world.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Amazon has their own Android app store, separate from the Google Play store. Every day, they offer a "premium" app (that is, one that you normally have to pay for) for free. Most of them are stupid games that I wouldn't bother to download even for free, but every couple of weeks there's a pretty cool app on there. I suggest that you install the Amazon app on your phone and make a point of checking it every day. I've gotten some pretty neat productivity apps, a bunch of fun games, and a few random things like a fraction calculator and a recipe app in which a celebrity chef appears on video to show you how to cook something, all for free. A few of the apps normally cost $10 to $15, so it's a pretty good deal.

One nice thing about the Amazon app store is that you don't actually have to install the apps on your phone: when you "buy" a free app, Amazon records the "purchase" in your account. If you're not sure you want to install something, you can "buy" it and then not install it, installing it (or not) at some point in the future. And if you switch devices or get a new device (say, a tablet in addition to your phone), you can download it on the new device as well.
auntJovie

Post by auntJovie »

BusyMe - silences your ringer automatically when you're in a meeting (according to your calendar); great for movies and church, too!

Power Schedule Basic - turn wifi off automatically at night, or turn your phone to airplane mode then, too

Tasker - advanced, but does all of the above and more

MortPlayer - best music player, there's also one just for audiobooks that is great

Swype keyboard - my favorite replacement keyboard, just works great
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

Flashlight and magnifier.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

weather channel
vanguard
morningstar
bloomberg
cnn
kindle
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Toons

Post by Toons »

Last pass password manager,gas buddy,Pandora,Google drive,accupedo pedometer,amazon price check,palmary weather app,vanguard app,Walmart app,Mr number phone blocker, :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

I like many of the things others have mentioned. I'll list some of the less well-known first that are among my favorites:
  • JuiceDefender -- tremendous increase in battery life
    CamScanner -- generates cleaned-up PDFs of documents using input from your camera.
    CardStar -- stores all those horrible loyalty cards
    FlightTrack -- enter your flight information, and it keeps you up to date with status changes
    Best Parking (I paid $7 on Sunday to park less than a mile from Fenway Park, just blocks away the going rate was $40. Two weeks ago I paid 50% of the going rate to park for a Broadway show. This app is worth lots of money but it is free. Logically, free benefits this huge can't be sustainable, but they are there now so grab them)
    Flashlight -- turns your camera's flash bulb into an adjustable flashlight.
    FoxFi -- create a poor-man's wifi hotspot (don't tell your provider)
    RedLaser -- scan bar codes and receive product information
More widely known but part of my favorites:
  • DropBox
    EverNote
    Podkicker
    Spotify
    Waze
beanstock

Post by beanstock »

Switchpro Widget - Allows user to create a customized toggle bar widget. Instantly turn things like data, wifi, tethering, flashlight, gps, etc on or off by tapping the icon on the widget. You can also set brightness levels and sound leves by tapping the icons.

Nova launcher - Allows user to set horizontal/vertical grid spacing, resize widgets, remove taskbar at the bottom, customize folders and so much more

Color Note - Allows user to create note widgets of various colors. Notes can be seen directly on screen without having to click on the widget. Also allows user to create lists that can be crossed off.

Vonage - Allows user to make free calls over the internet data connection

Call Confirm - Prevents user from accidentally make phone calls. While looking through your contact directory, it's very easy to accidentally make an unintentional call. Call confirm asks if you want to make the call before the call is made.
empb

Post by empb »

Hanging With Friends: Basically a scrabble/hangman hybrid but more thrilling than you could ever imagine! I can be challenged at username: empb1.

Otherwise, I second Nova Launcher and it's sister app, Widget Locker.
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

The folks at early-retirement.org have a great app for navigating their forums. Wish this site had one like that :greedy
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Geico BroStache
Brightest Flashlight
GasBuddy
Gentle Alarm
Screen Filter
Where's My Droid
Flixster
IMDB
Wells Fargo, Capital One, and Bank of America - all just for their mobile deposit feature
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Slacker
USA today
Chess
Weather
Dolphin Web browser
CNN Money
Google News
Flight Tracker
espn college football
Houzz
...and a number of adventure/mystery type games
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I only have one home screen and it contains: GasBuddy, Pandora, Calculator*, Clock*, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Play Store*, Camera*, Email*, Messaging*, Navigation*, IHeartRadio. *denotes native app. Other apps in my app drawer: AllergyCast, BSPlayer Free, ColorNote, Endomondo PRO, ES File Explorer, MX Player, Nest, Opera MIni, PodKicker, RedBox, Speed Test, SpeedView, Stopwatch & Timer, Super Stickman, Swype, The Weather Channel, Torque, Urbanspoon, Vanguard. There are a few others but I need to uninstall them. I reformat my phone often and re-install what I need. Motorola Triumph running CyanogenMod 7. CM7 comes with some of its own default apps. Swype is my most used app.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I second (or third) some of the above suggestions such as Pandora, Weather Channel, Gas Buddy, Dropbox and Amazon.

I would add either Shazam or SoundHound, two very similar apps that identify songs by listening. They let you know the song name, artist, release date, lyrics and other data. Very cool. You don't need both, and I haven't figured out which I like better.

Tip Calculator is useful for calculating a tip amount and dividing a check up into shares. Very small and easy app. Locate TV lets you know when a TV show or movie is on your home cable or satellite schedule. YPmobile is a good yellow page app that finds what you want, depending on where you are. Google Maps, of course. ConvertDroid converts all types of stuff, like measurements, weights, temperatures, etc..

Scanner Radio allows you to listen in on police, fire and EMT communications. I use it instead of buying a new digital scanner. I have WeatherBug in addition to Weather Channel. For those who use an HP12C, there is a free app that simulates the calculator, HD 12c Demo. Very handy when you don't have your HP12C with you. I replaced the stock Android calculator with it on my first screen.
Last edited by deanbrew on Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I forgot HP48, a WONDERFUL simulator of the HP48 calculator. Search for it in the Google Play store, it's free. And brilliant.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

What I haven't seen listed so far is Evernote. You can sync notes, pictures, video, images, across any OS / platform. Great when you need to sync grocery lists, business ideas, notification from kid's school. I can load up Evernote from PC, iPad, android and it'll all be sync'd up.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Marjimmy

Must have android apps.

Post by Marjimmy »

[I merged this thread into here. --admin LadyGeek]

Hello all,

Recently I went about buying a new phone and am curious as to what your MUST HAVE APS are and why? The new phone is the Samsung Note 3, still trying to get familiar with it. If anyone also has the phone what are some neat things you like about it?

Respectfully,
Jordan.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
Aptenodytes

Re: Must have android apps.

Post by Aptenodytes »

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... &p=1706785

I think I stand by what I posted then:
I like many of the things others have mentioned. I'll list some of the less well-known first that are among my favorites:

JuiceDefender -- tremendous increase in battery life
CamScanner -- generates cleaned-up PDFs of documents using input from your camera.
CardStar -- stores all those horrible loyalty cards
FlightTrack -- enter your flight information, and it keeps you up to date with status changes
Best Parking (I paid $7 on Sunday to park less than a mile from Fenway Park, just blocks away the going rate was $40. Two weeks ago I paid 50% of the going rate to park for a Broadway show. This app is worth lots of money but it is free. Logically, free benefits this huge can't be sustainable, but they are there now so grab them)
Flashlight -- turns your camera's flash bulb into an adjustable flashlight.
FoxFi -- create a poor-man's wifi hotspot (don't tell your provider)
RedLaser -- scan bar codes and receive product information
More widely known but part of my favorites:
DropBox
EverNote
Podkicker
Spotify
Waze
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

There's lots.
Some are built in, like Navigation/Maps and Browser.
Then you need GasBuddy, Amazon, WeatherBug, TVGuide, Netflix, the relevant airline apps, etc.
And of course the Vanguard app.
And possibly the app from your local credit union to allow you to deposit checks using your phone's camera.
Note: the Facebook app is totally not needed...
Attempted new signature...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I use KeePass app -- I pull down the kbx file from my computer with Dropbox and open it in the app.

Also like Public Radio & Podcast for streaming NPR. I live in an area with spotty radio reception so this comes in handy when I hit a dead area. Also can listen to stations that are completely out of the area.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
magellan

Post by magellan »

You might want a mobile security app like this free one from Avast. I use it for all the mobile devices in our household. It comes with a neat phone locator and the ability to activate and alarm and the phone's camera and audio recorder from an Avast website portal.

Jim
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Root then Greenify. Swype if its not included with the phone. AdFree, can't get through Play Store anymore, get directly from their site, also requires root. GasBuddy if you don't know which places have the cheapest gas. Opera Mini to preserve cellular data when web browsing. Silent Time to silent my phone at night and put it on vibrate while at work.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Favorites for me
LastPass password manager
Accupedo Pedometer
Palmary Weather
Clean Master
Amazon Price Check
Tango
chromecast
Pandora
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - This thread is now merged with What are your favorite android smartphone apps?.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
racy

Post by racy »

JuiceDefender - extends battery life tremendously
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

Dictionary
StockSpy
Real Blackjack
Life360 (I got kids)
Shazam
LinkedIn
Ultimate Stopwatch
Brightest Flashlight
Smoopa
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

CNBC
Gas buddy
Weather
ESPN Score Center
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Pandora
Gas Buddy
ESPN Score Center
Voice Search
Navigator
Yahoo Mail
Caller Name ID
AVG AntiVirus
denovo

Post by denovo »

google drive
gas buddy
fifa 14!!!
foxfi- freewifi get around data tethering charges
currents
google now
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
travellight

Post by travellight »

whatsapp- free text messaging
gas buddy
drive app
pandora
Taboose

Post by Taboose »

Dairy Queen Locator
ddb

Post by ddb »

Google Wallet. More and more retail locations have added the wireless reader to their credit card machines, and paying by tapping my smartphone is so cool - always leaves expressions of wonder and amazement on the faces of the cashiers!

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
AustenNut

Post by AustenNut »

YNAB (budgeting software that syncs with our home computer)

My Fitness Pal (food & exercise diary)

My Calendar (I think that's it's name)...if you're female and like to keep track of female health issues
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Waze. Fantastic mapping/GPS program. Traffic feature works well. Integrated gas prices and other features. Best of all it's FREE!
wander

Post by wander »

matjen wrote:Waze for navigation
+1. I have this app and really like it.
In addition:
Talk a Tone
Google Hangout
Tunein Radio
Pandora
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

For musicians:
iRealb: Indispensible, use it every day!
gstrings: tuner
mobile metronome
Audio Speed Changer
TuneInRadio
BeyondPod (for podcasts)

I wish there was an android app that compared with iGigbook on iTunes. There is Mobile Sheets, but it is not the same.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

protagonist wrote:For musicians:
mobile metronome
A question re the tuner: is it better than a musician who plays by ear? Or one with near- or perfect pitch? Or is it used just to check the ear's tuning, i.e., as a backup? Do all your jazz mates use it?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Fallible wrote:
protagonist wrote:For musicians:
mobile metronome
A question re the tuner: is it better than a musician who plays by ear? Or one with near- or perfect pitch? Or is it used just to check the ear's tuning, i.e., as a backup? Do all your jazz mates use it?
Ear tuning and mechanical tuning both have their place. When playing with others you want to tune by ear so as to be in relative tune with each other, in case, for example, the piano is off. Tuners are very useful when you are doing tone exercises, for example. "Perfect pitch" is a very rare phenomenon- I have heard 1/10,000 in the general population though don't quote me on that statistic. Tuners are also sometimes useful when you want to tune up in a hurry without interrupting the band.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Regarding Spotify and Pandora, following is a quote by a successful professional musician friend of mine that I have heard echoed by other professional musicians. Do with it as you will:

" The reality is Spotify and Pandora pay roughly .007 cents per play to most artists. Record companies made concessionary deals when this all started. We hear stories again and again of artists getting 270,000 plays and making $1.60. And because this option is made available consumers can hide behind it and say it is the best deal for them, but it's criminal! And artists aren't making enough to support their recordings, let alone pay their bills or put their kids through schools. So again I say, if you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Folks will say streaming is here to stay but it must be made more equitable for artists or they should create a self governed alternative where their music IS available. The plain truth in this story is that SOMEONE IS making money with this scheme. Yet Pandora and Spotify are lobbying Congress to lower the fees they pay. Don't let it happen!"
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

Taboose wrote:Dairy Queen Locator
Haha, nice!
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Regarding the above post pertaining to Pandora and Spotify, there are several very important considerations missing from the simple calculation provided (if it is indeed accurate). A "play" on Pandora is heard by one listener. Contrast this to a "play" on an FM radio station, which might be heard by 10,000 or 100,000 listeners. So that 0.007 cents would equate to $70 or $700 per play on a traditional radio station. Doesn't sound at all bad to me.

Pandora has introduced me to new artists. As Pandora states at this link http://blog.pandora.com/2013/06/26/pand ... royalties/, "The value of a spin on Pandora is about much more than royalties. Over 350 labels actively service Pandora with new releases. And we get thousands of unsolicited submissions from artists. Why? Because radio has, and will always be THE primary means of promotion for artists. Spins means audience, and developing an audience of patrons is THE key to long-term sustainability for artists. Furthermore, in an Internet-connected world, the ability of a service like Pandora to activate fans is extraordinary – far beyond anything broadcast radio has ever been able to offer." Yes, a bit self-serving, but it's hard to argue it isn't accurate.

And, no, I have no stake in the artist/publisher/record company/radio/Pandora issue, but when I read the above message I figured there had to be two sides to the issue.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

Aptenodytes wrote: Flashlight -- turns your camera's flash bulb into an adjustable flashlight.
I use this all the time. Amazingly useful app.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

What is Google Hangout?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Do the people who use Waze find it superior to Google Maps?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I've had one relative depend on Waze ot navigate from Connecticut to New Jersey. She was totally unfamiliar with the area and it helped her a lot.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

denovo wrote:Do the people who use Waze find it superior to Google Maps?
And if so, how is it superior? IMHO, it's always good to ditch the Evil Empire when there are good alternatives... invasiveness, privacy issues, etc. That said, I still use gmail and have an android phone.