Attention Mac Users - Vanguard Policy on On-line fraud

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Attention Mac Users - Vanguard Policy on On-line fraud

Post by mucho dinero »

Folks,

Two weeks ago I reviewed the Vanguard Policy on On-line Fraud. Under the list of responsibilities of the Vanguard customer
Vanguard requires that the customer use the latest versions of anti-spyware, anti-virus(AV) and firewall software to guard against malware. I contacted the technical services branch of Vanguard to ask how this effected Mac Users. The Mac has a firewall but Apple does not recommend any type of AV or spyware software. Apple reps had recommended that I inform the Vanguard reps of the Macs reputation relative to protecting customers from viruses.
Vanguard sent me two messages recommending that I install the proper AV and anti-spyware software. I have narrowed down my choices to two AV brands - ClamXav or Sophos for the mac home edition.
My first comment is that I would like to alert other Boglehead mac users of this issue in terms of the Vanguard Policy on On-Line Fraud. And my second remark is to ask if anyone has any experience with either the ClamXav or Sophos software.

Thanks in advance. :?:
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Re: Attention Mac Users - Vanguard Policy on On-line fraud

Post by mucho dinero »

Sorry,
I acidently posted twice.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

You didn't ask, but I feel a duty to inform you that Apple machines are hardly immune to malware. They have had some egregious security holes of late and there is even a recent piece of malware that is signed by an Apple developer running around right now. Security by obscurity is not a threat reduction strategy.

reference: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002554.html
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

mucho dinero wrote:Apple reps had recommended that I inform the Vanguard reps of the Macs reputation relative to protecting customers from viruses.
Yea, I'd file that one under "drinking the Kool-aid" - what the Apple reps didn't say was that Macs can still spread viruses to PCs. In fact, Sophos (no affiliation) did a survey of 100,000 Macs last year and found 1 in 5 of those Macs carried PC Malware and 1 in 36 carried Mac malware. And I'm a Linux user, so this is no "Mac vs. PC" hate speaking here. :)
mucho dinero wrote: have narrowed down my choices to two AV brands - ClamXav or Sophos for the mac home edition.
I'd go with ClamXav, it's open source, free and good enough in my opinion. I'm sure some other folks will share their opinions.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mucho dinero wrote:Sorry, I acidently posted twice.
No problem, I got it. Your duplicate is no more. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ged

Post by Ged »

stevewolfe wrote: And I'm a Linux user, so this is no "Mac vs. PC" hate speaking here. :)
Me too. What do you use for anti-virus software? The ones I'm aware of are aimed at cleaning out Windows viruses before they get passed along to another Windows system.

If you are really paranoid you could boot from a CD I suppose.
khh

Post by khh »

What if you're accessing your VG account on an ipad or Kindle or smartTV?
blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo »

I've run Mac OS X systems since 10.2; am currently running 10.8.3.

Mac OS X is not immune to malware infection and if you use the Java web plug-in you are vulnerable to infections of malware through that channel. I keep Java turned off in my browsers. Keep the OS X firewall turned on also and use a router with NAT and use WPA2 security on the router. If you use a Macbook, beware public WiFi connections. Keep your system up to date with Apple security software updates.

While I've not had an infection in the past 11 years, I do keep an installation of ClamXav up to date and periodically run it to scan my Home directory. Doesn't take too long and provides additional peace of mind.

I think an investment in backups and password management are even more important than concern about anti-virus.

I keep a Time Machine backup on an external drive and a clone of my system on a separate external drive (SuperDuper), and use CrashPlan for offsite backup. [the 3 copies rule + the clone: the original, TimeMachine +clone and offsite]. I also use 1Password to store passwords (different password for each web site) and try to have strong passwords for any money-associated login.
Larry
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

khh wrote:What if you're accessing your VG account on an ipad or Kindle or smartTV?
Or a blackberry? Good lord, how can vanguard know whether your computer has or had anti-virus software? In fact, there is a company that I consult for that has specific requirements for antimalware and you cannot even connect through unless it determines that you have it. Vanguard does no such thing. There are many types of anti-malware and some are better than others I suppose.
Browser

Post by Browser »

So, how does Vanguard know whether you're using virus and spyware software? If I get hacked I'll just say I was and install it - OK?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Browser wrote:So, how does Vanguard know whether you're using virus and spyware software? If I get hacked I'll just say I was and install it - OK?
They can ask to inspect your PC:

From Vanguard's Online Fraud Policy
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/S ... ontent.jsp
Cooperate with us and stay informed.

Cooperate fully with Vanguard in investigating and prosecuting any unauthorized activity in your account, and follow our recommendations about how to protect your account. We may require you to file a police report, complete a notarized affidavit, or permit access to your computer.
khh

Post by khh »

From Fidelity:
You must work with us in our investigation, and we may ask that you take additional steps including, but not limited to, filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit regarding the unauthorized transactions, cooperating and answering questions from Fidelity and law enforcement authorities, and, if necessary, allowing access to the computer or other access device that is suspected of being compromised.

https://www.fidelity.com/security/custo ... -guarantee
tj-longterm

Post by tj-longterm »

There's actually a very good reason that it is often recommended not to run anti-virus software on a Mac: the software runs with elevated privileges and so itself could be the target of an exploit that might not otherwise be easily possible on a Mac.

Here's a good overview about malware on Macs:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Post by mucho dinero »

Folks,

I would like to thank all of you for your comments. Because of your input I was able to make a very informed decision.
I plan to use the ClamXav AV software . I have already activated the firewall provided by apple. Also I have learned from many of the comments that where provided to me on this particular topic to ensure that I use due diligence and follow good security practices in all of my on-line activities.

Every one have a great Memorial day. :greedy
bayview

Post by bayview »

Late to the thread: please let us know how ClamXav works for you.

I tried Sophos and thought I'd lose my mind before I took it off. The Spinning Beachball of Death was a regular occurrence, every time I clicked on a link or ever refreshed.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Topic Author
mucho dinero

Post by mucho dinero »

Bayview,

I will keep you posted. I have only been using it for two days so far. However yesterday I used the the new AV software in conducting a manual scan on a e-mail that I suspected could have been troublesome and it helped me insure that my computer was not attacked by a virus.

Have a good Memorial day.
blueskygreenleaf

Post by blueskygreenleaf »

I've been using Sophos for several months now without incident on 10.7.5. Of course since 10.7.5 is not the very latest version of OS X (although it is fully patched) I can't be sure if I'm in compliance with their online fraud policy. And don't even ask me what the heck anti-spyware is supposed to mean for a Mac. Is Sophos considered coverage for that?
Frengo

Post by Frengo »

That's all very well, but Vanguard is not off the hook whether I use an antivirus, or not.