Alternatives to DFA funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Alternatives to DFA funds

Postby Copernicus » Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 pm

What are good alternative Vanguard (or other) funds (or ETFs) to the following DFA funds?:
DFA International Small Cap Value Fund (DISVX)
DFA Emerging Markets Core Fund (DFCEX)
Thank you.
Copernicus

Re: Alternatives to DFA funds

Postby EmergDoc » Wed May 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Not much to the first.

http://etfdb.com/mutualfund/DISVX/

I suppose EM Index at VG may be a reasonable comparison to the second but performance lags by 3% a year for the last 5 years. I believe the core fund contains a lot more small and value stocks, thus the higher risk/return profile, aside from the other stuff DFA does.

VG compares very well when it comes to bonds and large caps, but if you're looking to REALLY slice and dice, DFA has better options, perhaps even enough to justify a low-cost advisor, as long as you place some value on the other stuff an advisor does other than provide access to DFA funds.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby livesoft » Wed May 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Poke around at this site: www.altruistfa.com/dfavanguard.htm
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby OverTheHill » Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

EmergDoc wrote:Not much to the first.

http://etfdb.com/mutualfund/DISVX/

I suppose EM Index at VG may be a reasonable comparison to the second but performance lags by 3% a year for the last 5 years. I believe the core fund contains a lot more small and value stocks, thus the higher risk/return profile, aside from the other stuff DFA does.

VG compares very well when it comes to bonds and large caps, but if you're looking to REALLY slice and dice, DFA has better options, perhaps even enough to justify a low-cost advisor, as long as you place some value on the other stuff an advisor does other than provide access to DFA funds.

Whatever it cost, it isn't worth it.
OverTheHill

Postby vencat » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Actually, I believe, DLS (Wisdomtree international small cap dividend) is a good replacement for DISVX and DGS (Wisdomtree Emerging market smallcap dividend) for DFEVX. Both beat DFA equivalents YTD, 1, 3 and 5 years.
vencat

Postby matjen » Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 am

DISVX - WisdomTree International SmallCap Div (DLS)
DFCEX - Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF (VWO) or Wisdom Tree Emerging Markets Small Cap Div (DGS)

Or perhaps Vanguard VSS for a rough approximation of both
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
matjen

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments