Finding a lawyer to review physician contract

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Finding a lawyer to review physician contract

Postby Gleevec » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 am

My wife is a physician applying for a new job, and we want to hire a lawyer to review her contract. What is the best way to find a good lawyer and how much should be spent?

Thanks for any help.
Gleevec

Re: Finding a lawyer to review physician contract

Postby obgraham » Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 am

During the recruiting time, you likely met some other physicians in the community and facility.

Call 2 senior docs not involved with her new employer, and ask their opinion.

Rates will vary tremendously depending on where you are.
obgraham

Postby YttriumNitrate » Wed May 22, 2013 6:43 am

Gleevec wrote:how much should be spent?

The classic lawyer answer for this (and most other questions) would be "it depends"...how long is the contract?, how much is at stake?, is the contract mostly just standard boilerplate?, do you want a written opinion or will an oral opinion do?, etc...
YttriumNitrate

Postby dhodson » Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

with a name like that, i assume she is in oncology.

in regards to contracts as mentioned above it depends. If one is joining a group that has many members and everyone has the same contract then you arent likely to get a lot of benefit. The reasons why are bc they arent that likely to make changes for one person and many times people who let their lawyers pick out every comma find that the group might even rescind the offer.

Now if its a situation where you are joining one other person and becoming a partner then you need to go through the full court press. It wont be fun and it will be necessary to "blame" some of the requests on your lawyer even if they are things you want done. In smaller situations, too often the contract is initially written by the senior physician with too much emphasis on what they get.
dhodson

Postby Big Worm » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

I asked around and just used word of mouth. Very average lawyer but she had done contract review before so I was relatively satisfied.
Big Worm

Return to Personal Consumer Issues