Do you pay for access to www.nytimes.com ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do you pay for access to www.nytimes.com ?

Postby jupiter_man » Sat May 18, 2013 6:25 pm

www.nytimes.com has a policy of only allowing 10 free articles, and then they have an intrusive overlay on the pages that notifies you to pay for the subscription service.
The subscription rate is $15 - $35 / month . As most tech savy folks may know browsers have a process to clear the history to circumvent that pay wall.

Do Bogleheads pay for it and help in the NY times "quality journalism "or do you circumvent the pay wall ?

From Nytimes FAQ -
You can always browse the home page, as well as all section fronts, blog fronts and classifieds. Articles, blog posts, slide shows, video and other multimedia features will all count toward the monthly limit of 10 free articles. Note that the monthly limit is based on items, not page views: a multi-page article or slide show counts as one item (or one "article view"). Additionally, reader contributions (comments) do not count toward your monthly limit. Upon reaching your monthly reading limit, you'll be asked to subscribe. Your subscription helps us continue to invest in the quality journalism you know and love. But if you don't subscribe, your free access will be reset at the beginning of the next month, and you'll once again be able to enjoy our content.
jupiter_man

Re: Do you pay for access to www.nytimes.com ?

Postby livesoft » Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't pay and I don't do anything special to circumvent the pay wall. It is more of a pay net with large spaces between the netting. Actually, call it a pay joke or idiot tax.

Last week's thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116185
Last edited by livesoft on Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby gerrym51 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:28 pm

i read the times all the time. i have a total of 3 browsers right now. the times keeps track of the browser. when the 3 browsers are used up if i feel like it i erase the cookies on them and start again.
gerrym51

Postby Iorek » Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 pm

I pay because the iphone app is great-- downloads the morning's paper and allows me to read it even when I don't have a signal (technically I pay to get the Sunday times delivered, which gives me free digital access, but it's pretty much the same thing).
Iorek

Postby nisiprius » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

My taxes, local and state, support the public library system, which in turn gives me no-cost online access to numerous databases which happen to include full-text access to The New York Times from 1985 through today.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby Chicago60 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:33 pm

I have subscribed to the NYT for 25 years, and only recently went to digital subscription only due to the delivery cost for the physical paper. I read it on my phone, Nexus, or laptop daily.
Chicago60

Postby john94549 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 pm

I subscribe to the print edition. I tip the paperperson at Christmas. I do not read newspapers online.

Per my request, the paperperson always double-bags in the rainy season.
john94549

Postby p_qrs_t » Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm

I pay for access to the www.nytimes.com. I enjoy reading it tremendously and hope that my subscription will continue to support it in it's endeavors. Feel the same way about the washingtonpost when it goes behind a paywall, and www.wsj.com, which is also behind a paywall...
p_qrs_t

Postby Toons » Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 pm

No :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby midareff » Sat May 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Kill the cookies and keep going.
midareff

Postby 1530jesup » Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Living in the metro NY area I got home delivery for better than 30 years.
Moved to Florida and despite the cost kept it up. The rates keep going up but I hang in; I still think it is worth it especially because I watch very little TV news.
i often check the digital edition for late breaking news without logging in because I stay under the 10 article limit. Once the delivery failed and I read the paper digitally front to back - as I usually do with the hard copy - and never want to do that again. I am a retro browsing kind of reader and can not imagine doing the Sunday edition online.
One day I will compute how many vacations I can take if I gave up this elitist attitude and may go online for a fraction of my current costs.

And I would pay the full freight for access.
efficiency is not all its cracked up to be, do you want to live your life in half the time it takes the average person? Rhymes With Orange | Rich
1530jesup

Postby frugaltype » Sun May 19, 2013 4:58 am

No.

I would if they had an option for web access only, but their lowest cost option includes smartphone apps and I don't have a smartphone. I don't want to pay for something I never use. I got rid of cable for the same reason - half my cable bill went for sports channels of no interest to me.

There are unique articles in the Times, but they tend not to be hard news articles. More and more I am reading the Christian Science Monitor for news.
frugaltype

Postby Diogenes » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am

No, I would not pay for the NYT as I do not read it.

Better straight news sources out there.
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
Diogenes

Postby MoonOrb » Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 am

I have a digital subscription to the NY Times. There is broader coverage elsewhere, there is deeper coverage elsewhere, and there is higher quality coverage elsewhere, but I've found nowhere else that has the Times' combination of breadth, depth, and quality.

Also, I am an avid reader of Nate Silver's 538 blog as well as anything A.O. Scott writes, and would pay for it to support those two things alone.
MoonOrb

Postby serocs » Wed May 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Absolutely. The provide a quality service that I don't want to see dissapear. I'm more than happy to pay the ~$40/month to get my news.
serocs

Postby texasdiver » Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I pay for the online access. I'm something of a news junkie and for me it is the best site for original reporting on national and international news. I don't pay for any other web sites other than my local paper and the online access comes free if I subscribe to the paper edition.

I never tried to delete the cookies and defeat the paywall that way. I might do that with a few other newspaper sites that I don't read as frequently.
texasdiver

Postby fatlittlepig » Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

I would probably pay if it weren't so easy to circumvent. they've made it a little less easy recently but you can still read all articles from the "not New York Times" twitter feed, or in a pinch google the article's name and access the article from there.
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 22, 2013 6:08 pm

I get the paper delivered, so I'm all set.
TomatoTomahto

Postby fidelio » Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 pm

it can be gotten around, but i pay, for the reasons stated by the OP. plus the wife of one of my best friends is an editor there, so it would be unseemly to poach.

i've taken it at different times as paper, in l.a. it's a little pricey, but the real problem is i want to read every article, and it really piles up, as reading the whole paper takes many hours (not possible).
fidelio

Postby Green3 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:15 pm

You can copy & paste the titles of the articles you want to read into Google and then click on the link from the results page. It works for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Financial Times. I've been doing that for a very long time and it only takes the extra second. On Firefox, when you highlight the title on NYT's frontpage and then right-click on the words, there's an option to "Search Google for..." which is a short-cut to cutting & pasting.
Green3

Postby frugaltype » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, I forked out for a subscription today. After reading in it about the feds universal sweep of phone calls and Internet data, I figure I need to support someone trying to fend off 1984.
frugaltype

Postby Random Poster » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Green3 wrote:You can copy & paste the titles of the articles you want to read into Google and then click on the link from the results page. It works for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Financial Times. I've been doing that for a very long time and it only takes the extra second. On Firefox, when you highlight the title on NYT's frontpage and then right-click on the words, there's an option to "Search Google for..." which is a short-cut to cutting & pasting.

More times than not, this proposed strategy does not work for me. I still get the pay wall.
Random Poster

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

frugaltype wrote:Well, I forked out for a subscription today. After reading in it about the feds universal sweep of phone calls and Internet data, I figure I need to support someone trying to fend off 1984.
Thank you. If there's no NYT, where are the web sites going to scarf up the content? :D
TomatoTomahto

Postby ilisira » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
frugaltype wrote:Well, I forked out for a subscription today. After reading in it about the feds universal sweep of phone calls and Internet data, I figure I need to support someone trying to fend off 1984.
Thank you. If there's no NYT, where are the web sites going to scarf up the content? :D

Exactly. That's the reason we pay for the fee, getting rid of the block is really easy, but I believe they need to be supported.
ilisira

Postby Sunny Sarkar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Read nytimes.com on Google Chrome in incognito mode...

1. Install Google Chrome
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

2. Right-click on the Chrome icon on desktop, and click Properties on the pop-up menu

3. In the Target field of the Shortcut tab, add -incognito at the end so that it looks like this...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -incognito

4. Every time you close Chrome, it will now forget that you've been reading nytimes.com (or anything else)
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on regardless". ― John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Postby donall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:39 pm

We get digital NY Times. It's a small price to pay for well written articles.
donall

Postby fatlittlepig » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 pm

how much is it

donall wrote:We get digital NY Times. It's a small price to pay for well written articles.
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby Geologist » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:07 pm

I subscribe to the NY Times Book Review by postal mail. I don't have the exact cost at hand but it's about $90/year. This entitles me to free access to the Times news website. That would seem to be cheaper than a direct website subscription even if you don't read the Book Review.
Geologist

Postby energy2025 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm

We pay for NY Times. We don't have cable at home and seem to find NY times more valuable. It is the most qualified journalism and enjoy every bit of it. I also think it covers international news also pretty damn well.

You pay for what you get!

Regards,
energy2230
energy2025

Postby fatlittlepig » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 pm

I agree that the writing is definitely on point, excellent. I applaud you for paying and subsidizing us freeloaders.

energy2025 wrote:We pay for NY Times. We don't have cable at home and seem to find NY times more valuable. It is the most qualified journalism and enjoy every bit of it. I also think it covers international news also pretty damn well.

You pay for what you get!

Regards,
energy2230
fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby Rosebud » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 am

I subscribe digitally and then about a year ago I decided to have the Sunday paper delivered, which then includes the digital subscription. It's a little bit more expensive than just digital, but there are a number of features that I enjoy. Getting it seven days a week seemed a bit much since sometimes they pile up and I feel guilty if I haven't read them. This seems to be a nice balance for well-written journalism.
Rosebud

Return to Personal Consumer Issues