selling a piano or move it ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

selling a piano or move it ?

Postby ieee488 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm

My mom has just sold her house.

She has a Baldwin upright that is in excellent shape except for the fact that it is out of tune.

She is not sure about selling it on Craiglist, but she also does not want to sell it dirt cheap to the local piano store.

We have not gotten an estimate from movers, but I have a feeling that it will cost a lot to move it from Ohio to NJ.

Thoughts?
ieee488

Re: selling a piano or move it ?

Postby livesoft » Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Do any relatives want it? We gave one of our pianos to our niece. She rented a U-Haul truck, drove 300 miles to pick it up and drove back the next day.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby ieee488 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 pm

No, no relatives near my mom at all.
ieee488

Postby livesoft » Sat May 18, 2013 4:19 pm

ieee488 wrote:No, no relatives near my mom at all.

Near is relative. They could be across the country and move the piano cheaper themselves than she could. (And at lower cost than buying one.)
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby stan1 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 pm

My mom sold her 90+ year old upright grand piano to a friend of a friend for $500. It took 7 guys to get it out of the house.
My guess is it was worth several thousand.
I was thankful she got rid of it so that I didn't have to deal with it.
stan1

Postby OverTheHill » Sat May 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Well, she could give it to you, you could give it to charity and then take a deduction. Just an idea, which I think would be legal.
OverTheHill

Postby BGJ » Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 pm

If the piano is not being played it's probably best to sell it, and craigslist is good for this as local sales in person only will make sense and that is the only way to sell things on craigslist due to scam risks for long distance sales. Used older uprights that are not well maintained are often worth MUCH less than people think. If you can get basic information like age, serial number, model number, and any service history and ask the folks at pianoworld.com and you might get a very rough idea of its value. The best way to get the value is to pay a piano technician (go to ptg.org to find one if you don't know one) to come over and evaluate it for you, but this will probably cost $75-100. Good Luck!
BGJ

Postby LonePrairie » Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I wish her luck, but before she puts energy into trying to sell it she may want to look at a web site where people list pianos they want to give away. http://www.pianoadoption.com/

Here's the listing for Ohio.
http://www.pianoadoption.com/states/free_pianos_OH.html
LonePrairie

Postby joe8d » Sat May 18, 2013 10:43 pm

With those big pianos,it's generally give it someone who will pay to move it.That's what I had to do.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby john94549 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 pm

My wife moved an upright from one floor to another. Then she had it tuned. She's played it twice since then. Over three years.

Aargh.

Don't ask what it cost to move it from KC to California.

On top of that, it was my childhood piano, not hers. And I always hated it. Forced lessons will do that.
john94549

Postby BL » Sun May 19, 2013 12:07 am

If she can sell it dirt cheap at the piano store, that may be the best solution, rather than dealing with strangers coming in her home as well as inexperienced movers sliding things across her floors and through her doors. She will probably need to move it out quickly, as well. Contacting churches, senior centers, assisted living places, etc. might also be worthwhile, if she would like to donate it.
BL

Return to Personal Consumer Issues