Auto Paint Repair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Auto Paint Repair

Postby Barefootgirl » Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am

Two years ago, I scraped the rear bumper of my car against a wall in a parking garage situation.

I took it to a repair/repainting shop and they fixed it.

Recently, I did the same thing, (gotta watch out for the parking garages) except the scrape damage was much smaller, just one small line...nevertheless, it occurred in nearly the exact same area as the previous larger scrape and now all the paint in that area is cracking and peeling - not just the area of the current scrape.

Does it seem reasonable that paint should peel off a car (not just from a damage site) but in the surrounding area after only 2 years?

I frankly don't have any experience with this sort of situation, hence my question.

THanks, BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Re: Auto Paint Repair

Postby sashwin » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 am

A good repair shop should stand by their work. The one I've been to actually fixed a situation like this even after some time. However, it does depend on whether you got the original work to be what they recommended (a full cleanup/repair/repainting) vs a touchup. In the latter case, which I've chosen on occasion, they warn you that neither the looks not the quality will be as satisfactory.

-- Ashwin
sashwin

Postby Barefootgirl » Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 am

The work I had done was the full recommendation, not just a touchup, so hopefully....

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby sashwin » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am

If they don't, look for the reviews of Autobody shops in your area on Yelp, and find a shop that will guarantee it, at least for this time. Talk to them up-front about this situation. Those parking garages aren't going anywhere... :x.

I also have to ask, based on your moniker - do you wear shoes when you drive :D ? A guy I knew at work completely ditched shoes 5 years ago - including when he was driving, walking outside, walking in our building, etc. Eventually he switched to the Vibram 5 fingers. I remember trying to drive from a beach once when I lost my flipflops, and the tactile feel of the accelerator and brake was so weird I might have been at higher risk for scrapes :D not that I've avoided them when wearing shoes :?.

-- Ashwin
sashwin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues