Great new Amazon delivery option

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Great new Amazon delivery option

Post by dm200 »

One of the issues with ordering things delivered by UPS or FedEx, is the issue with packages being left on porches, etc. Amazon usually uses UPS, in my experience. I just ordered (and received yesterday) something in a small package (size of a hardback book), and used the new delivery address that turns out to be the 7-11 convenience store 4 blocks from my house. Amazon emails the code and I just went to the 7-11 and in the corner inside the store (24 hours open) is a series of locked boxes and a keyboard and display. I just keyed in my coed, and the box opens, like magic, and there is my package. :happy
momar

Re: Great new Amazon delivery option

Post by momar »

Just wait. Pretty soon you'll be able to order something and pick it up the same day.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
grok87

Post by grok87 »

dm200 wrote:One of the issues with ordering things delivered by UPS or FedEx, is the issue with packages being left on porches, etc. Amazon usually uses UPS, in my experience. I just ordered (and received yesterday) something in a small package (size of a hardback book), and used the new delivery address that turns out to be the 7-11 convenience store 4 blocks from my house. Amazon emails the code and I just went to the 7-11 and in the corner inside the store (24 hours open) is a series of locked boxes and a keyboard and display. I just keyed in my coed, and the box opens, like magic, and there is my package. :happy
very cool thanks.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Post by 123 »

I have used the Amazon Locker service a couple of times recently and I was impressed with it. The packages were in a lot better shape then when they get delivered to the door. The Amazon Locker I used was at a nearby Radio Shack Store. When I ordered something today the nearest available locker was a couple of miles away so I had to opt for that archaic delivery to the door method.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

This must be only in parts of the country. I tried several zip codes in my state and got zilch.
StaTiK

Post by StaTiK »

Is there an additional charge for this service?
bUU

Post by bUU »

This is all part of Amazon.com's movement into the local community. They see the writing on the wall, regarding sales tax, and realize that if they're going to have to charge sales tax, they might as well be resident, and capitalize on what that can offer them, the locker service, same day service, even same day delivery.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

The whole reason I use Amazon is so I don't need to go somewhere to get something, it can just be delivered straight to my door. I can't imagine I'll be getting any use out of that option. I guess it's a nice feature for more valuable deliveries or folks who live in apartments/condos/etc.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
tfb

Post by tfb »

A recent order of mine couldn't be delivered to the locker and had to go back to Amazon. Maybe technical issue with the locker. I asked them to redeliver to a different locker in the area but they couldn't change it. I had to re-order and wait again.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Does this speed things up? I ordered two smoke detectors after we burned popcorn badly in a microwave and they didn't go off.

Ordered May 11, stated should be delivered May 16 to 22, and they're not shipped yet.
bUU

Post by bUU »

Who did you order them from? Amazon, or an Amazon partner?
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

1. I don't know if it speeds things up or not. I saw it and I thought it safer than UPS leaving package on my porch, or having delays if someone not home.
2. No extra charge (I got "free" shipping for the item sine it was about $75 (electronics/computer thing)
3. I did not actually have to "go" out of my way, since I drive by that 7-11 every day going from and to my house.
gtg970g

Post by gtg970g »

Amazon is taking customer service to the next level. Just last night my mother in-law attempted to return something to amazon because she accidentally ordered duplicate items. They gave her a refund for the item and told her not to bother shipping it back. The item was under $10 and they just as easily could have charged her $5 for shipping it back to them. I was amazed and somewhat jealous they didn’t offer me the same deal when I ordered the wrong size of an item (my fault) but she does order from them like it's a part-time job.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

dm200 wrote: I just keyed in my coed :happy
Does your wife know? :D
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

FYI, if you have something valuable being shipped that you don't want left at your door and there is no Locker service in your area, look at the UPS will-call option. Once you have the tracking number and UPS has picked up the package, you can log on to their website and ask that it be held at your regional sorting center for free or pay a small fee to have it held at a local UPS store. I think FedEx has similar options. I did that when Amazon was shipping my smart phone and it worked very well.
wander

Post by wander »

They always leave the packages at my door. I have never had any problem with that.
manyness

items still destroyed by fecklessness

Post by manyness »

FedEx here cannot be trained to leave packages other than at the door (bhind a gate for example).

I wish there was a way to constrain delivery service to UPS exclusively.

I would similarly like to blacklist certain amazon fulfillment centers (read as: inept)
[ nosce te ipsum. (know thyself) ] ||| [ Be overcome by justice. Pursue honor. Be prudent. Find fault with no one. Deal kindly with everyone. Never tire of learning. ] ||| [ Long for wisdom ]
mike143

Re: items still destroyed by fecklessness

Post by mike143 »

manyness wrote:I would similarly like to blacklist certain amazon fulfillment centers (read as: inept)
My favorite is when they shipped this and it was poking out of the box, they didn't even try to keep it from breaking out.

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Sam I Am wrote: What I would dearly love to see would be grocery deliveries. The grocery delivery service is happening around the country, just not in my area, yet. Soon, I hope....

Sam I Am
Peapod is in my area. But what is starting to show up and I wish were in my area is the grocery store shops and the customer swings by and picks it up. Then no waiting at home for a couple of hours for the delivery person to show up. Unfortunately Peapod won't leave the stuff at the door, you have to be home. Alas, the milkmen of yore who would do this are rarely around nowadays.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

manyness wrote:FedEx here cannot be trained to leave packages other than at the door (bhind a gate for example).
I have an outward opening door, and FedEx cannot be trained to not leave heavy packages against it.

I would prefer to constrain deliveries to the Postal Service, since it is very important in my semi-rural area and I'd like to help preserve it. Unlike FedEx and UPS contractors, our local letter carriers know their customers and watch out for the elderly, etc.
Last edited by frugaltype on Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

mike143 wrote:
manyness wrote:I would similarly like to blacklist certain amazon fulfillment centers (read as: inept)
My favorite is when they shipped this and it was poking out of the box, they didn't even try to keep it from breaking out.

How about when they pack to within an inch of its life something that can't possibly be damaged in shipping.
wriggly

Post by wriggly »

I just picked up my first locker delivery today.

I chose locker delivery because I'm going away next week, and the free delivery to my house was estimated to take 4-5 days, a bit late and I don't have the item for my trip. First class delivery (estimated 2-day delivery) cost an additional 1/3 of the item price.

Locker delivery, in the UK at least, is currently free for first class delivery. However, this is clearly a promotional offer until end of June. Of course, US is probably completely different.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Sam I Am wrote: What I would dearly love to see would be grocery deliveries. The grocery delivery service is happening around the country, just not in my area, yet. Soon, I hope....
We have a couple fledgling grocery delivery services in town but I don't see how the model works. One has a website where you choose your items ($50 minimum) and they deliver the next day for $12, no cash or checks (loaf of bread, $4.03!). You'd need a fat wallet to use that service. At the other, you select meals on their site and they deliver the ingredients with recipes, $69 for 3 meals for two people. Not exactly the same as straight grocery delivery.

I'm surprised that the supermarkets haven't tried to do something. They would capture the entire sale, be able to include lottery tickets and other non-grocery (high profit) items they carry, and I think that could work if they targeted places like senior citizen complexes where you could deliver multiple orders to one location. But big grocery chains are pretty smart, and I'm sure they've studied it.
bUU

Post by bUU »

Both Stop & Shop and Roche Bros. deliver, in our town.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

bUU wrote:Both Stop & Shop and Roche Bros. deliver, in our town.
Wow, there is a blast from the past. Used to work at the Roche Bros. in Needham, MA in the early 70's. Don't live in the area anymore and didn't know they still exist. In fact, my particular store is still open.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

When I lived in MN, most grocery stores did delivery for a $5 charge on a $50 order. Orders could be placed online - very easy process and helpful when it was -20 degrees outside.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

prudent wrote:I'm surprised that the supermarkets haven't tried to do something. They would capture the entire sale, be able to include lottery tickets and other non-grocery (high profit) items they carry, and I think that could work if they targeted places like senior citizen complexes where you could deliver multiple orders to one location. But big grocery chains are pretty smart, and I'm sure they've studied it.
Safeway/Vons/Pavillions has a delivery service. There is a refrigerated truck parked outside the store by work, although I've rarely seen it out and about making deliveries. I'm not sure how well the delivery service is working out for them, but I can't seem to find any reports on it after a quick Google search.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

frugaltype wrote:
mike143 wrote:
How about when they pack to within an inch of its life something that can't possibly be damaged in shipping.
One of my friends recently received an empty box from Amazon. They simply forgot to put the item in before shipping. :D
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Safeway does delivery in my area, never tried it, but I do see the truck out occasionally. Not sure if they've made it work, but it's a good concept. Delivery isn't cheap--$10 if you order >$150 in groceries, plus a buck or two for the fuel surcharge, but it sounds like they offer times for discounted/free delivery, when they're not busy. If I shopped more at Safeway and/or didn't have a car, this could be a good option. The online interface could save a lot of time actually looking for the items, in addition to the obvious savings on driving to the store. It also seems like a particularly good option for business that keep break rooms stocked, because otherwise someone would have to be on the clock to do the shopping.
http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Shopping-Help
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
manyness

help amazon protect us from the feckless, request these THRE

Post by manyness »

mike143 wrote:
frugaltype wrote: How about when they pack to within an inch of its life something that can't possibly be damaged in shipping.
my favorite are electronis retail boxes (designed for frieght shipping) in skin tight boxes handed over to carrier shipping (that's bad). Worse still are eletronics not in the retail container in a larger shipping box with ZERO padding. For extra points items needing no protection are treated with more care than fine china. Third party sellers are often more guilty of this than FBA. Private party third party sellers seem the least incapable half the time.

Please start a chat with amazon customer service to request blacklisting inept fulfillment centers AND to not-use certain carrier services :) .

Also please request a feature to associate reviews with the 3rd party seller from which the item was purchased. The review currently identifies the item and that it was or was not an amazon purchase. Too few people bother to out poor performing merchants in reviews :(

The more people who request it the more likely it will happen.
[ nosce te ipsum. (know thyself) ] ||| [ Be overcome by justice. Pursue honor. Be prudent. Find fault with no one. Deal kindly with everyone. Never tire of learning. ] ||| [ Long for wisdom ]
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Perhaps I have just been fortunate, but I never has a packaging problem with something from Amazon.

I also seem to recall that the "packaging" question is normally on the survey that Amazon sends.
manyness

amazon please stop destroying packages through indifference

Post by manyness »

dm200 wrote: "packaging" question is normally on the survey that Amazon sends.
yes, amazon provides facility for rating packaging and ease of opening. It seems to be a blackhole for feedback (unread).