Security Camera System

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Security Camera System

Postby RenoJay » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Does anyone have a professionally-installed security camera system? I got a quote from a guy who seems honest and reliable (and who we have had do our alarm monitoring for years) and it was around $3k and includes six cameras, a DVR that holds 1 terabite of data, a monitor, and all the installation including crawling through the attic to run wires. Does that sound reasonable?
RenoJay

Re: Securirty Camera System

Postby RenoJay » Thu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:You can get an idea of hardware costs from here (though obviously does not include installation/support)

http://www.newegg.com/Home-Safety-Secur ... a%20system

They have many brands and price ranges.

Thanks. Right after I put up the initial post I did a search of the specific hardware on Amazon and discovered there's a pretty big mark up. I guess I'm wondering if that goes with the territory. (i.e. they mark up the equipment a lot, but if you insist on buying it yourself maybe they just add the mark up to the labor?)
RenoJay

Postby SteveNet » Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Question is, do you feel that it's necessary to have constantly recorded video for security?
Or do you just want to 'see' whats going on while your away from time to time?
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.
SteveNet

Postby alexnk » Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 pm

It all really depends on how difficult camera and cable installation will be. It is not uncommon for installation cost to be 2/3 of the final price. For example, industry standard price for the installation of 1 cable drop is about $300. 5x$300 plus camera installation can easily come out to be $2000 or so. Did the installer provide an itemized quote or did he just tell one price? Ask for itemized quote and make sure the installer is licensed and certified.
Also I would go with known equipment brands such as sony, panasonic, asix, etc... You might pay premium upfront but it will be more reliable and it will last longer. Good luck.
alexnk

Postby khh » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 pm

...a DVR that holds 1 terabite of data,
How many hours of video does that work out to?
khh

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 pm

I just noticed this offer from Costco - with a 1TB DVR and 8 cameras - maybe Costco also has someone for installation.

Q-See 16 Channel CIF/D1 DVR Security System with 1TB Hard Drive and 8 600TVL Cameras
http://www.costco.com/.product.10003441 ... 509_MayMVM
Rob5TCP

Postby RenoJay » Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm

alexnk wrote:It all really depends on how difficult camera and cable installation will be. It is not uncommon for installation cost to be 2/3 of the final price. For example, industry standard price for the installation of 1 cable drop is about $300. 5x$300 plus camera installation can easily come out to be $2000 or so. Did the installer provide an itemized quote or did he just tell one price? Ask for itemized quote and make sure the installer is licensed and certified.
Also I would go with known equipment brands such as sony, panasonic, asix, etc... You might pay premium upfront but it will be more reliable and it will last longer. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. The quote is itemized and the install is only around $875 which seems pretty reasonable to me given that the house is enormous and there will be cables running all over the place. I emailed with the guy today and he said that if I want to buy the equipment myself off Amazon, he'll essentially just take that off his quote, so now I'm feeling better about the whole thing.
RenoJay

Return to Personal Consumer Issues