Paying the "correct" amount for prescriptions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Paying the "correct" amount for prescriptions

Postby dm200 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Usually, in my experience, prescription drug coverage (including Medicare) seems to pay for a certain number of "days" -- not number of pills. So, for example, if the physician prescribes 1 10 mg pill of xyz for 90 days, then you get 90 days and pay the 90 day price. If the prescription is for 2 pills a day of xyz for 90 days, you get 180 pills and pay the 90 day price.

What, then, if the physician prescribes 1 or 2 pills a day (as I tolerate xyz), and wants 90 days, how is that done? Or, do I get 90 pills, which seems to shortchange the insurance reimbursement if I ever take 2 pills per day. NOTE that I am not asking about twisting the rules, or do9ng anything at all improper -- I just want to get 90 days medication for 90 day price.
dm200

Re: Paying the "correct" amount for prescriptions

Postby gerrym51 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:15 pm

you get 180 pills IF the doctor wrote for 180. the doctor cannot write 1-2 pills a day but then write 90 pills if he writes 90 pills with those instructions you get 45 days woth at 2 per day.

some insurances will NOT pay for 2 a day of certain drugs-thats a different issue
gerrym51

Postby dm200 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 pm

gerrym51 wrote:you get 180 pills IF the doctor wrote for 180. the doctor cannot write 1-2 pills a day but then write 90 pills if he writes 90 pills with those instructions you get 45 days woth at 2 per day.

some insurances will NOT pay for 2 a day of certain drugs-thats a different issue

This is a recent conge that I discussed with physician by secure email. I will see how it is filled/charged, then discuss the issue with her for the next time.

A few years aoo, different drug - different physician - different insurance, I was taking 50 mg/day of a drug. I was charged brand name for the drug. I asked the ins co why I did not get a lower price. The said there was a generic. Then I asked why I did not get the lower rice generic, then. They said all they had in generic was 25 mg pills. Then I aid, then give me 2 25 mg pills at the generic price. No, they said, it wasn't written that way. SO, I just asked the Dr to write the Rx for 2 - 25 mg per day, I got the generic at the low price ad everyone was happy. The ins co rules, Rx rules and other rules can be very puzzling.
dm200

Postby gerrym51 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm

dm200 wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:you get 180 pills IF the doctor wrote for 180. the doctor cannot write 1-2 pills a day but then write 90 pills if he writes 90 pills with those instructions you get 45 days woth at 2 per day.

This is a recent conge that I discussed with physician by secure email. I will see how it is filled/charged, then discuss the issue with her for the next time.

A few years aoo, different drug - different physician - different insurance, I was taking 50 mg/day of a drug. I was charged brand name for the drug. I asked the ins co why I did not get a lower price. The said there was a generic. Then I asked why I did not get the lower rice generic, then. They said all they had in generic was 25 mg pills. Then I aid, then give me 2 25 mg pills at the generic price. No, they said, it wasn't written that way. SO, I just asked the Dr to write the Rx for 2 - 25 mg per day, I got the generic at the low price ad everyone was happy. The ins co rules, Rx rules and other rules can be very puzzling.

i'm a pharmacist and work for a national drug chain. pharmacies enter the info from a script(brands get changed to generics if there is one) exactly as written then transmit to the insurance companies computer. thats when the insurance will either let it go thru as a paid claim or reject because of various reasons-drug not

covered/days supply not correct etc. then they re-transmit based on what insurance says to tell it to do. the pharmacy does not decide-your insurance does.they all have different formularies and rules

ps differnt strengths of a drug can go generic at different times say a drug comes out at 1 strength and a new strength of it comes out 2 years later. the patent on the second strength will also expire 2 years later
gerrym51

Postby LadyGeek » Thu May 09, 2013 10:37 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (prescription pricing).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues