ZTE V970M vs Nexus 4

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

ZTE V970M vs Nexus 4

Postby protagonist » Thu May 09, 2013 2:34 pm

I just heard about the Chinese ZTE V970M (which I think is almost identical to the V970 and N986??) as an unlocked phone sold on Amazon for $220.....sounds very similar to, and almost as good as, a Nexus 4, plus has expandable memory (which I REALLY like) and dual SIMS (which I don't need but may be useful to one who wants to carry around one phone with 2 numbers, say a business and personal number) at a much lower price. OS is a little older. It is hard to find much info about this phone, or anybody who has compared it to the Nexus 4. It got a 5 star rating on Amazon, but that is based on only 9 reviews.
Amazon.com: ZTE V970M GRAND X 4.3" Extra Slim Dual Core Dual SIM Dual Standby Android 4.0 Smartphone 4GB Unlocked/ SIM-free qHD 16M color Large TFT Capacitive Screen High performance android 2G/3G handset: Cell Phones & Accessories

Can anybody comment on how well the ZTE phone behaves compared with Nexus 4....call quality/ signal strength/ reliability/ customer service etc???? And if this phone is, indeed, comparable in quality to the Nexus 4? Also, is it compatible with services such as Straight Talk? If quality is similar or almost as good as the Nexus, it sounds like a great buy, and the expandable memory would cinch the deal.

Thanks.
protagonist

Re: ZTE V970M vs Nexus 4

Postby roymeo » Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 pm

I'd point you to phonearena.com but they don't appear to have your V970M in it.

Considering a site like that doesn't have it, a random bunch of bogleheads are very unlikely to have one.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
roymeo

Postby protagonist » Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm

And my take is that it probably is an inferior phone since there is so little written about it, though its specs look excellent for $220 unlocked without contract and with expandable memory- almost as good as Nexus 4. It looks like a Nexus 4. I'm reticent to chance it.
protagonist

Postby MDfive21 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm

MDfive21

Postby Browser » Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 am

Having recently gotten into smartphones, I've become aware that one of the major problems with all of them is battery life. Dual SIMs take more juice so unless you really need them, I 'd be avoiding them as one more juice-sucking frill.
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Postby ryuns » Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Specs aren't as good--slower, less RAM, Android 4.0 instead of 4.3, no front-facing camera. You do save $80 and get expandable memory.

I'd have a hard time not waiting for the next google phone although the next one is likely to have a bigger form factor, which is not a trend I'm a fan of. By the way, I didn't see anything to indicate that the ZTE could run 4g or LTE, which would be a deal breaker for most domestic smart phone use, but I can't confirm that's the case.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Postby ohiost90 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm

protagonist wrote:I just heard about the Chinese ZTE V970M (which I think is almost identical to the V970 and N986??) as an unlocked phone sold on Amazon for $220.....sounds very similar to, and almost as good as, a Nexus 4, plus has expandable memory (which I REALLY like) and dual SIMS (which I don't need but may be useful to one who wants to carry around one phone with 2 numbers, say a business and personal number) at a much lower price. OS is a little older. It is hard to find much info about this phone, or anybody who has compared it to the Nexus 4. It got a 5 star rating on Amazon, but that is based on only 9 reviews.
Amazon.com: ZTE V970M GRAND X 4.3" Extra Slim Dual Core Dual SIM Dual Standby Android 4.0 Smartphone 4GB Unlocked/ SIM-free qHD 16M color Large TFT Capacitive Screen High performance android 2G/3G handset: Cell Phones & Accessories

Can anybody comment on how well the ZTE phone behaves compared with Nexus 4....call quality/ signal strength/ reliability/ customer service etc???? And if this phone is, indeed, comparable in quality to the Nexus 4? Also, is it compatible with services such as Straight Talk? If quality is similar or almost as good as the Nexus, it sounds like a great buy, and the expandable memory would cinch the deal.

Thanks.

I was very hot after a Chinese knock off for a few weeks about a month ago. In my case, it was a samsung S3 / s4 knock off. After much reading and research, I've conclude that, for me, it wasn't worth the risk.
ohiost90

Postby protagonist » Sun May 12, 2013 8:12 pm

ryuns wrote:Specs aren't as good--slower, less RAM, Android 4.0 instead of 4.3, no front-facing camera. You do save $80 and get expandable memory.

I'd have a hard time not waiting for the next google phone although the next one is likely to have a bigger form factor, which is not a trend I'm a fan of. By the way, I didn't see anything to indicate that the ZTE could run 4g or LTE, which would be a deal breaker for most domestic smart phone use, but I can't confirm that's the case.

I read that as well, but to me the expandable memory would more than make up for that. I wouldn't likely use the dual
SIM.

Still I decided not to buy it, just because there is so little online about it, and I wonder why...makes me suspicious.I trust the Google phone much more because of all the positive hype I have read.

I will wait for the Google trade meeting May 15-17 where it is heavily rumored they may release a 32gb version of the Nexus 4. I would suspect it will sell for around $399 given their price scheme. If I can't get a high quality used iPhone 4, 4s or 5 at a very good price I will buy the largest Nexus 4 I can.

"Not to decide is to decide".
protagonist

Return to Personal Consumer Issues