Potential new job advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Potential new job advice

Postby jay22 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 am

The last few days have been really interesting to me. While browsing online, I came across a job posting at Google and although I am not in the job market right now, I decided to apply. I wasn't too surprised when I got an interview call as I thought I was a pretty good fit for the position. Now, they want me to fly to CA for a final round. That job will pay me around 25-30% more than what I am making right now. I live in central MI right now and will have to relocate to Google's HQs in Mountain View. I have not checked the numbers, but I think the cost of living would be at least 50% more, if not greater. The pros are:

1. It's Google - working for such a massive company would be a great resume builder for a 30 year old professional like me.
2. Great benefits - something I don't get right now. I don't get things like 401, annual bonuses through my company, but get health benefits. Plus they have stuff like free food, great facilities etc. (not a major factor, I understand)

The cons:
1. Work/life balance would suck. I have spoken to a few people who work there and most of them work for 55-60 hours a week easily. In my current job, I rarely cross 45.
2. Cost of living in the bay area - some of it would be taken care of because of the increase in the salary, though.

My wife is OK with us moving there, so family issues are not a problem. We don't have any kids and don't plan to have anytime soon. Any thoughts on how I should approach it? I don't want to go there if I am not going to join them. I'll appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Edit - The new pay would be 25-30% more, not 30-35% as previously noted.
Last edited by jay22 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jay22

Re: Potential new job advice

Postby HardKnocker » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

Go for it.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Postby ieee488 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 am

Try it.
If you don't like it, you can always quit.
You obviously have a job skill set that is in demand.
Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04 + Windows 7), Dell Precision M6300 (Windows 7), Dell Latitude D530 (Windows Vista), Dell Latitude D531 (Windows Vista)
ieee488

Postby nitpar » Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 am

Yea go for it. Try to negotiate a bit more than 35-40% since the cost of living will be higher. Also try to get a relocation pkg if you can.

Good luck !!
nitpar

Postby jay22 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the responses so far. The thing that's holding me back is the high cost of living. CA has a higher state tax as well. I think 30% more is as far as they'll go. Don't know if it'll be worth it for that much.
jay22

Postby nitpar » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 am

don't forget the matching 401K, if they do 6 to 10%, that's great specially since its tax deferred. Also heard Google has other perks like free food etc.
nitpar

Postby billern » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am

I'd think more in terms of what you want with your career and what your future opportunities will be with either choice. I'd think working for a company like Google could open many doors.

If you are willing to pay your dues now in order to get those opportunities later, it is worth seriously considering.
billern

Postby MP173 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 am

Sometimes one must make a lateral move in order to advance. This might be one of those times for you.

Yes, the C.O.L will be considerably higher. Use the trip to determine the actual cost of rental properties in the area.

Ed
MP173

Postby VictoriaF » Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 am

Google is a fantastic company. It offers some of the most interesting projects and colleagues you could find in any other job. The higher cost of living is a fair price to pay for working for Google, plus you will live in a much better climate than where you are now.

Good luck,

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby YttriumNitrate » Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

Based on the numbers you quoted, you'll be working ~35% more hours (plus probably a longer commute time) for a ~30% raise that will mostly be eaten up by the cost of living. That's not a great deal in my book. But, the bigger question is what is it at your current job that caused you to be searching the job postings.
YttriumNitrate

Postby ShowMeTheER » Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

The concerns you have aren't the ones that should stop you from taking it and seeing what happens. As someone mentioned, you have an in demand skill set so you'll either do great things at Google and fall in love with the area... or you won't and you'll have the ability to go back to where you are (or anyplace else) and try again. I'd say go for it!
ShowMeTheER

Postby danwhite77 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm

The near-term financial aspects of the decision are just one factor. Consider that you are probably going to work for another 30 or 35 years (unless you inherit a fortune or hit the lotto). IMHO, the real question is which job puts you in the better position in terms of long term career advancement.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
danwhite77

Postby jay22 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for responses. I think I am going to give it a shot and go to CA to see how it goes.

YttriumNitrate wrote:Based on the numbers you quoted, you'll be working ~35% more hours (plus probably a longer commute time) for a ~30% raise that will mostly be eaten up by the cost of living. That's not a great deal in my book. But, the bigger question is what is it at your current job that caused you to be searching the job postings.

None whatsoever, to be honest. It was just out of sheer curiosity that I applied to this position.
jay22

Postby HardKnocker » Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Ask for more money to bring you par with the expected effort and inconvenience. Be willing to walk away if they don't give it to you. I am sure they are not making you their best offer. Absolutely they have not if they have any brains.

If they don't give it to you then forget it. It ain't worth it. The heck with them.

Working at a job where you feel inadequately compensated and unappreciated is no fun.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Postby inky » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree with you that financially it is not clear whether it would be an advantageous move.

I've been in a little bit of a similar position in that I've been approached by a Google headhunter several times in the past year, but have decided not to pursue the opportunity there. I'm well-compensated in my current position and will be able to retire in 3-4 years if I stick it out. I'm not passionate about the work I'm currently doing, and have wondered if working at Google would offer a more meaningful experience, but ultimately it's not worth the sacrifice and hassle of changing jobs at this point.

If you are passionate about technology and working with the best and brightest, I would take it, since you are closer to the beginning of your career than the end.
inky

Postby jay22 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 am

So, thought I'd give you guys an update on this. I met the manager of the team in Ann Arbor - he was coming down there for a business trip and they asked me if I'd like to meet him there than flying out to CA. Sadly, it wasn't really a good experience. He was pretty condescending and kept on boasting the great work he and his team is doing at Google - he looked at my resume and said, USC, huh? That's a good school but it's not really Stanford (he's a Stanford grad, obviously). Based on our conversation, I don't think I will enjoy working under him. They haven't offered me anything yet, but I am going to say no and stay at my current job if they do.

Thanks for all your responses.
jay22

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

jay22 wrote:So, thought I'd give you guys an update on this. I met the manager of the team in Ann Arbor - he was coming down there for a business trip and they asked me if I'd like to meet him there than flying out to CA. Sadly, it wasn't really a good experience. He was pretty condescending and kept on boasting the great work he and his team is doing at Google - he looked at my resume and said, USC, huh? That's a good school but it's not really Stanford (he's a Stanford grad, obviously). Based on our conversation, I don't think I will enjoy working under him. They haven't offered me anything yet, but I am going to say no and stay at my current job if they do.

FWIW, I interviewed with a few people in Mountain View and had a similar condescending experience with my future manager. Very surprising to say the least. Everything happens for a reason.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
XtremeSki2001

Postby HardKnocker » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm

jay22 wrote:So, thought I'd give you guys an update on this. I met the manager of the team in Ann Arbor - he was coming down there for a business trip and they asked me if I'd like to meet him there than flying out to CA. Sadly, it wasn't really a good experience. He was pretty condescending and kept on boasting the great work he and his team is doing at Google - he looked at my resume and said, USC, huh? That's a good school but it's not really Stanford (he's a Stanford grad, obviously). Based on our conversation, I don't think I will enjoy working under him. They haven't offered me anything yet, but I am going to say no and stay at my current job if they do.

Who needs 'em! Life is too short to work for jerks.

:sharebeer
HardKnocker

Return to Personal Consumer Issues