Savannah, Ga trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Savannah, Ga trip

Postby fancyrick63 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Going to Savannah, GA for a few days wanted to see if anyone could recommend a few places they liked the most (only there for a few days) and a few medium priced restaurants (any type) that locals possibly would recommend (don't like tourist traps).Thank you.
fancyrick63

Re: Savannah, Ga trip

Postby AE81 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Green Truck Pub has a good hamburger, as does B&D Burgers (two locations downtown). Bella's for Italian. Pearl's for the view. Corleone's for Italian if you aren't leaving downtown.
AE81

Postby Snow Boarder » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Mrs Wilkes. A family style resturant. The locales will know it.
Greenville (SC) Chapter Coordinator | greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com
Snow Boarder

Postby utvolfan » Wed May 08, 2013 9:52 pm

J Christophers for breakfast, SoHo Café for lunch, Vinnie Van GoGo's pizza opens after 4 (noon on Friday and Sat--cash only--amazing pizza, they start lining up at 4 on weekdays!), Leopold's for yummy homemade ice cream! I've also heard Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is delicious! Love Savannah!
utvolfan

Postby Random Musings » Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Like Local 11 Ten Food & Wine and Circa 1875. However, those are a little pricey. Mrs Wilkes is good, although by the long lines it can be considered a tourist spot. Get there at open (actually before to get in line) or wait, plus it is cash only, M-F and closed January. Major drawback is that service is rushed. Pay the metered parking, the cops do check to ticket.

A decent walking town, but I wouldn't hang in certain areas at night.

If you like quaint little towns, Beaufort SC is not too far away. Neither is Charleston, one of my favorite cities.

RM
Random Musings

Postby Dulocracy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am

J Christophers you can find anywhere. Try to eat local. Some of the RiverFront restaurants are quite good, even if they are in the touristy area.

If you do not like touristy, you may not like my next suggestion, but Savannah is famous for being haunted. If you like haunted stuff, take a ghost tour of the city at night.

Despite the fact that River Street is where a lot of tourists flock, I like it. I imagine that 150 years ago, River Street would have had a bunch of pubs that were rowdier than what you find today. It is a part of Savannah.

That being said, set time aside to walk to the squares. There are some very good squares that are very enjoyable here. History can be found throughout the city. Make time to walk to and enjoy some of the quiet squares. Sit and imagine others sitting there 200 years ago to take a break from the harshness of life.

Your to see list:
1) The St. John Cathedral
2) If you like churches, there are several worth visiting for their architectural and historical worth.
3) Have a daughter/wife in girl scouts? The girl scout museum and home of the founder (I forgot her name... shame on me) are a part of several museums. When you pay to get in, ask about the package for all of them, which is not much more and pays for itself if you visit two... they did not tell us of this option). You can get a special pin/badge or some such in the store that my wife was excited about. I believe you actually must visit the museum to get said item.
4) Forsyth park is the most popular because of its fountain. Visit some others as well: I cannot stress this enough. Each square has its own history. If you do not want to walk, take a horse-carriage tour. The guides ask about things of interest to you and can take you places you want to see. They are very knowledgeable (and my wife also loved the horse-drawn buggy ride). I found them to be very reasonably priced. You hire them in an area that I think was called the Marketplace that is kindof new.
5) I am not sure if it is there, but there is a wine shop that had muscadine wine from a local vineyard. Do the taste testing there. You will likely go home with a bottle. This was also in the area that I think is called the Marketplace. I may be completely wrong about what it was called, but that is the best I can do for you.
6) If you like literature: Flannery O'Conner's house.
7) There is a really good place to get seafood on River Street. I had hoped that I would remember the name by the end of this post. I did not.

There are numerous old houses that can be toured/visited, there is a square somewhere in Savannah that hosts the Forrest Gump bus bench filming location, and, of course, the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed here (and one of the houses was prominent in that).

If you want to know anything, ask at the place you are staying. They will have brochures for local places, but actually ask. They know the better places to go. Enjoy. :sharebeer
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Dulocracy

Postby Random Musings » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

Dulocracy wrote:
Your to see list:
1) The St. John Cathedral
:sharebeer

Agree.

RM
Random Musings

Postby Valdeselad » Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

http://thesistersofthenewsouth.com/ordereze/home.aspx

This was the best restaurant we found in Savannah, and we went to many of the more well known, expensive touristy ones as well. It's small, local, inexpensive and the food is amazing. It's true Southern food, if that's what you're looking for.

Skidaway Road is about a 15 minute drive from the river/hotel area. Looks very unassuming from the front, but it was so good we went there twice.
Valdeselad

Postby linguini » Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am

The Historic Savannah Theatre has some fun nostalgic music revues. If the weather is nice, it's also worth going to Tybee Island if you like the beach. And there's a minor league baseball team.
linguini

Postby Peter Foley » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

There is a roadhouse about 10-15 miles outside of Savannah that serves great shrimp and french fries; more than you could possibly eat. I don't remember the name of it but I'm certain locals would know of it. When I was there I ate at a couple of the restaurants along the riverfront - they were fine but not as memorable as the roadhouse.
Peter Foley

Postby earlyout » Thu May 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Peter Foley wrote:There is a roadhouse about 10-15 miles outside of Savannah that serves great shrimp and french fries; more than you could possibly eat. I don't remember the name of it but I'm certain locals would know of it. When I was there I ate at a couple of the restaurants along the riverfront - they were fine but not as memorable as the roadhouse.

Crab Shack on Tybee Island?
earlyout

Postby Watty » Thu May 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Savannah has some pretty dodgy area so be careful in your selection of hotels. The ones in the historic district are pretty expensive. If you are on a tight budget there are lots of generic chain motels on the interstate out in Pooler which is a short drive out of town.

Bonaventure Cemetery is the historic cemetery with all the hanging moss and live oaks that you will often see pictures of. It is pretty far out of town and as I recall the last couple of turns are easy to miss so be sure to have good directions if you go there.

One thing that I like doing there is just taking a book and sitting on a park bench in one of the squares and reading watching the people go by.
Watty

Return to Personal Consumer Issues