What's the best dandelion killer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: What's the best dandelion killer?

Postby Mingus » Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
Getting the PH down to 6.5 might help according to this site:

http://greennature.com/article2600.html

My approach is to keep the lawn healthy and apply fertilizer early (February in the Raliegh NC area) to give the grass a head start. I use 2,4D in weed and feed if I have a big investation. So, I don't have any real hands on experience with avoiding chemicals.

I applied a thin layer of a combination of mushroom compost, and aged steer manure to portions of my lawn a few months ago. The areas that received the compost/manure DO NOT grow dandelions now.

The downsides with this approach is it is labor intensive. The cost of organic material. And it will make your grass grow really fast.

The upsides are its labor intensive and good exercise. The grass grows really fast, healthy and green. And you're not spreading poison. Plus, its building the soil up so the grass will be healthier and in time theoretically will be able to resist weeds on its own.

Think of it as investing in your lawn.
Mingus

Postby save-early-often » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Try horticultural vinegar.
save-early-often

Postby otbricki » Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Mingus wrote:I applied a thin layer of a combination of mushroom compost, and aged steer manure to portions of my lawn a few months ago. The areas that received the compost/manure DO NOT grow dandelions now.

The article I linked to a couple of messages ago mentioned that fertilization plus choice of the right grass type is a good approach. Evidently you've got the right kind of grass.
otbricki

Postby dratkinson » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm

I've used the hose-end sprayer and Weed-B-Gon. From suggestions here will add a spray bottle for smaller areas. What is the correct dilution when used in a spray bottle?

I also like the *green Weed Hound (not the yellow one) tool to pull weeds standing up. That, plus a 5-gal plastic bucket, and I walk around the yard "lion" hunting. I stop when I get a bucket full. Doing this a couple to times a week I stay ahead of the blooms. It seems to work on all weeds.

*The green one (~$40) you "pop down" on the top knob to release the weed, a simple motion. The yellow one (~$25) requires you to grasp a lower handle and "push down" to release the weed, a more complicated motion. After using the green tool, the yellow one quickly becomes annoying. If you buy one of these, the green tool is worth the extra expense.

Weed Hound: http://www.amazon.com/Hound-Dog-Product ... B0000DI835

d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Postby Mingus » Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 am

otbricki wrote:
Mingus wrote:I applied a thin layer of a combination of mushroom compost, and aged steer manure to portions of my lawn a few months ago. The areas that received the compost/manure DO NOT grow dandelions now.

The article I linked to a couple of messages ago mentioned that fertilization plus choice of the right grass type is a good approach. Evidently you've got the right kind of grass.

Maybe. I'm really not sure what type of grass I have. The neighborhood was built over a hundred years ago and I doubt anyone has ever put a new lawn in in the past century. Or if they have, it was a long time ago... I'm planning on spreading a thin layer of compost over the rest of the lawn this fall.

It was more of an experiment that I tried on some thin areas to see if it would thicken the grass up. So far so good.
Mingus

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues