SUV recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: SUV recommendations

Postby ssquared87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 pm

otbricki wrote:
I thought they recommended service at one year regardless of mileage if for nothing but to rotate tires and check fluids.

Which reminds me. I gave BMW a lot of consideration the last time I bought a car. I just could not get past the insistence on run flat tires. It's a characteristic of BMW anyone considering one of these cars should understand before purchase.

I'm not sure on the X5, but on most BMWs they recommend not rotating the tires. There are two reasons. One is that the rear suspensions have negative camber so if you brought the tires forward there wouldn't be as much cornering grip as the edges of the tire would have a bit of wear. The second is that since BMW designs their cars to have 50/50 weight balance, there is equal weight on all tires so the tread should wear more evenly than tread on other vehicles.
ssquared87

Re: SUV recommendations

Postby jdb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:57 pm

BW1985 wrote:
jdb wrote:Lease a Highlander for two years and put in refundable order for Tesla Model X for delivery in 2015. Three row seating, available dual motor AWD, falcon wing doors in rear, large touch screen, all electric and goes 0-60 under 5 seconds. Your kids will love it.

Sounds expensive.

Pricing for this 2015 vehicle not yet announced but anticipated to be consistent with Model S with $7500 tax credit. Definitely priced in upper level for SUV's but performance will probably exceed all other SUV's in market. One does need to have an early adopter attitude on new models.
jdb

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues