Use "promo codes" to save money

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fundseeker

Use "promo codes" to save money

Post by fundseeker »

Just thought I'd pass this on for those who shop online, even for pick up at your local store. Most sites ask if you have a promo code. Well, a simple Yahoo or Google search for the store name will lead you to sites with promo codes, such as retailmenot.com.

One example is for Advance Auto. If you buy online and pick up at the store, but enter ES123 before the expiration date, you get $20 off of a $50 purchase. So a $59 OBD II scanner is only $39.

So, maybe you can save a few dollars this way.

Advance Auto Parts Coupons: Get $30 Off w/ 2013 Coupon Codes, Promo Code
Johm221122

Re: Use "promo codes" to save money

Post by Johm221122 »

Thanks, you just got me a half priced pizza for dinner. :happy
John
mike143

Post by mike143 »

slickdeals.net, fatwallet.com, retailmenot.com are all very useful, but don't let them drag you in to buying useless stuff you don't want or need.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
tonythered

Post by tonythered »

You may want to also consider the Honey extension for Chrome. It is helpful on certain sites, like Amazon (so browse to Amazon using the Bogleheads referral link, select your products, then at checkout, have Honey automatically check for coupon codes).

http://joinhoney.com/
gt4715b

Post by gt4715b »

tonythered wrote:You may want to also consider the Honey extension for Chrome. It is helpful on certain sites, like Amazon (so browse to Amazon using the Bogleheads referral link, select your products, then at checkout, have Honey automatically check for coupon codes).

http://joinhoney.com/
Good link, thanks. The way it's set up is cool because it only appears when you're about to buy something.
core5

Post by core5 »

I don't buy anything without checking slickdeal.net first.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Wow. Just saved 10% on my year's supply of A.C. (furnace) filters. Thanks! :beer
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

mike143 wrote:slickdeals.net, fatwallet.com, retailmenot.com are all very useful, but don't let them drag you in to buying useless stuff you don't want or need.
Another thing to add in combination with coupon codes is cash back. You can combo them up in most cases (even if they say you can't - it generally works as their systems aren't advanced enough to catch it). Cash back sites include ebates.com, shopathome.com, extrabux.com, and mrrebates.com work well. If you really want to get the full list, use a site called cashbackholic.com. Then shop by store - and you'll find whether it offers cashback, and which is the best site to use. I've saved thousands (literally) over the years.

I've been meaning to add this sort of stuff to my blog... but haven't gotten around to it yet. I will, I keep telling myself I will!
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
mike143

Post by mike143 »

slickdeals.net keeps all the referral money, fatwallet.com gives you some of it back. ebates.com bought fatwallet.com.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

My wife is really into discounts and coupons. I use them cautiously and sparingly.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

You can also use Bing Rewards for things like free Redbox rentals and Starbuck and Amazon.com gift cards. I haven't paid for a movie rental in over a year just by searching on Bing.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards
manyness

promo code fringe warning

Post by manyness »

Don't "clicl to "reveal" code

Those types of links financially benefit the poster and 99% of the time are not maintained. Even after the information becomes invalid they are still rewarded.

Don't reward that mind site.

If the site does not SHOW the code or requires hoops: leave. Find another site

For best interwebbing be sure to employ "ad blocking". Interweb search the phrase to learn how to employ it in your interweb browser ;)
[ nosce te ipsum. (know thyself) ] ||| [ Be overcome by justice. Pursue honor. Be prudent. Find fault with no one. Deal kindly with everyone. Never tire of learning. ] ||| [ Long for wisdom ]
manyness

promo code fringe warning

Post by manyness »

^ mind site == mind set
[ nosce te ipsum. (know thyself) ] ||| [ Be overcome by justice. Pursue honor. Be prudent. Find fault with no one. Deal kindly with everyone. Never tire of learning. ] ||| [ Long for wisdom ]
Vision

Post by Vision »

[removed]
Last edited by Vision on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Vision wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 am
tonythered wrote: Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 am You may want to also consider the Honey extension for Chrome. It is helpful on certain sites, like Amazon (so browse to Amazon using the Bogleheads referral link, select your products, then at checkout, have Honey automatically check for coupon codes).
http://joinhoney.com
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just wanted to vouch for Honey. It is a great extension if you shop online regularly. Had gotten me some amazing deals. I'm just wondering if there are any similar extensions out there to save money?
How does this work? ie Does installing the extension give them the rights to your personalized browsing or shopping history that they can sell? How does a business like Honey make money? If you are redirecting to Amazon through the Boglehead referral link, BH gets the referral bonus, so I don't get what is in it for Honey unless they sell your data.
A440

Post by A440 »

Also try ebates.com. They give cash back just by shopping online at many sites just by clicking the "R" on your desktop. It's free to use.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:19 am
tonythered wrote: Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 am You may want to also consider the Honey extension for Chrome. It is helpful on certain sites, like Amazon (so browse to Amazon using the Bogleheads referral link, select your products, then at checkout, have Honey automatically check for coupon codes).
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just wanted to vouch for Honey. It is a great extension if you shop online regularly. Had gotten me some amazing deals. I'm just wondering if there are any similar extensions out there to save money?
How does this work? ie Does installing the extension give them the rights to your personalized browsing or shopping history that they can sell? How does a business like Honey make money? If you are redirecting to Amazon through the Boglehead referral link, BH gets the referral bonus, so I don't get what is in it for Honey unless they sell your data.
Yes, yes, yes. Extensions can be dangerous, not saying this one is dangerous. Honey gets a commission from people who buy items. They can also track all of the stuff you buy/view.

From their website:
In some cases, when you use a coupon code or earn Honey Gold with Honey, we earn a small commission from the merchant. We pass along some of those earnings to our members.

We never sell data or give your information to third parties, either.
Also
https://help.joinhoney.com/article/29-w ... ey-collect
Information as a result of your use of our product. We collect automatically generated information such as log data, cookies, device information, data about the success or failure of codes applied to your cart, and some other types of information required to provide different features of the Honey service. When possible, we provide an option to opt out of certain types of data collection in the user settings configuration. In some cases, this data is required to provide certain features which will be disabled when you opt out of this data collection. Other information is collected through our use of Google Analytics. To opt out of tracking with Google Analytics, visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
You can also check out: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/honey ... extension/

For some people the convenience is worth giving up a bit of privacy/risk, for others it isn't.

What's the common saying nowadays "'if you're not paying for the product, you are the product'"
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Vision

Post by Vision »

[removed]
Last edited by Vision on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Vision wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm
Well, they have partner offers from amazon, sephora and sites like that, so I assume those sites somehow pay Honey to promote themselves in the app.

Do they have your shopping history? Well, for items you purchase via honey - naturally otherwise they would not be able to credit you the points.

For the past year I've spent thousands online and have $100+ in bonus Honey credit. It is not amazing, but since it doesn't take much for me other than clicking honey promo button each time I buy something from Amazon/Ebay I figured why not. And if they have my shopping history - so what?
I get they have your shopping history when you USE Honey. Is the thing you install basically spyware and they get all your other data also?
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Another new one to check out is an app called Drop. You choose 5 retailers to earn points at (e.g., I earn points when I shop at Whole Foods, Uber, Lyft, Target and Macy's). Some get offered Amazon and eBay. Anyway, points can then be redeemed for gift cards. I've received over $100 in iTunes gift cards this way. Of course what I give in exchange is my cc # so they can monitor my purchases. But personally I don't mind. Whole Foods has no loyalty program per se... so now, to me, they do.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Vision

Post by Vision »

[removed]
Last edited by Vision on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I have used ebates, now called Rakuten, and I just shop online as I normally do when I go onto a site it will ask me to activate Rakuten, I click yes, then it redirects me back to the site and I get a percentage back. I think it is a chrome extenios, then once a month they deposit to my paypal account
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am I have used ebates, now called Rakuten, and I just shop online as I normally do when I go onto a site it will ask me to activate Rakuten, I click yes, then it redirects me back to the site and I get a percentage back. I think it is a chrome extenios, then once a month they deposit to my paypal account
Rakuten (formerly eBates) is a good site as it is generally good at tracking the cashback you earned. However, it is not always the highest cash back website. To find the highest, I suggest using a meta site like Cashbackholic.com or Cashbackmonitor.com (or similar). You can then search to see who is offering the best cash back and use them. I have 6-7 active accounts across a variety of sites. Be careful, not all track properly. Some I've had troubles with include topCashBack and BeFrugal, so I avoid them now. But sites like Rakuten, Mr Rebates, ExtraBux, and ShopAtHome track properly. On a side note you can also earn airline miles if you prefer that to cash back.
lairdb

Post by lairdb »

Well, they have partner offers from amazon, sephora and sites like that, so I assume those sites somehow pay Honey to promote themselves in the app.

Do they have your shopping history? Well, for items you purchase via honey - naturally otherwise they would not be able to credit you the points.

For the past year I've spent thousands online and have $100+ in bonus Honey credit. It is not amazing, but since it doesn't take much for me other than clicking honey promo button each time I buy something from Amazon/Ebay I figured why not. And if they have my shopping history - so what?
Chrome (probably other browsers as well) have the ability to have multiple identities in the browser. I have a separate "shopper" identity that I switch to only for final purchasing that loads Honey, has favorites for cashback sites, etc. That way it's not loaded for my day-to-day use.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

lairdb wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 am

Chrome (probably other browsers as well) have the ability to have multiple identities in the browser. I have a separate "shopper" identity that I switch to only for final purchasing that loads Honey, has favorites for cashback sites, etc. That way it's not loaded for my day-to-day use.
Interesting. I didn't realize one could 'swap' identities when shopping. As a workaround I use Chrome for my shopping and a browser called Brave (built on chromium) for everything else (it has build in adblockers, etc. for privacy). Plus heard Google is going to stop allowing AdBlock to work soon. Of course that may not come to fruition. Had I known about the two identity trick, I may have stayed with Chrome a bit longer (at least until they pulled AdBlock Plus functionality).