Glimmerblocker- do you use it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Glimmerblocker- do you use it?

Postby grok87 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 pm

So I've gotten fed up with the MacKeeper pop-up ads on the Mac. Glimmerblocker supposedly takes care of this? Does anyone use it? Is it legitimate?
thanks
Grok
grok, CFA
Danon delenda est
grok87

Re: Glimmerblocker- do you use it?

Postby Duckie » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm

I can't comment on Glimmerblocker, but under Safari > Preferences > Security do you have the "Block pop-up windows" box checked? I do, and never get pop-up ads except when I've unchecked it occasionally for particular access.
Duckie

Postby grok87 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Duckie wrote:I can't comment on Glimmerblocker, but under Safari > Preferences > Security do you have the "Block pop-up windows" box checked? I do, and never get pop-up ads except when I've unchecked it occasionally for particular access.

THanks- yes I do have that checked and still get the annoying MacKeeper ads constantly. I googled the issue and apparently the "block pop-ups" thing doesn't always work...
grok, CFA
Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby retiredjg » Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I get the MacKeeper ads every time I look at TV Listings. Very annoying.
retiredjg

Postby grok87 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:05 am

retiredjg wrote:I get the MacKeeper ads every time I look at TV Listings. Very annoying.

Yep. Very annoying. Apparently MacKeeper is a pretty nasty outfit.
grok, CFA
Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby Bogtian » Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 am

Glimmerblocker is pretty great software -- unobtrusive and solid, and I only notice it when I'm on a computer that doesn't have it. That said...it does great for ad-blocking, but it's less than perfect for pop-up blocking.

I've had no adverse effects since installing it, and it's free...if I were you, I'd give it a try and see if it does what you're looking for.
Bogtian

Postby retiredjg » Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 am

grok87 wrote:
retiredjg wrote:I get the MacKeeper ads every time I look at TV Listings. Very annoying.

Yep. Very annoying. Apparently MacKeeper is a pretty nasty outfit.

Well, they certainly are persistent. However, Safari > Preferences > Security > "Block pop-up windows" box checked seems to have worked for me! This is great!
retiredjg

Postby grok87 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 am

Bogtian wrote:Glimmerblocker is pretty great software -- unobtrusive and solid, and I only notice it when I'm on a computer that doesn't have it. That said...it does great for ad-blocking, but it's less than perfect for pop-up blocking.

I've had no adverse effects since installing it, and it's free...if I were you, I'd give it a try and see if it does what you're looking for.

Thanks Bogtian and welcome to the forum.
cheers,
grok, CFA
Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby retiredjg » Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

retiredjg wrote: However, Safari > Preferences > Security > "Block pop-up windows" box checked seems to have worked for me! This is great!

I guess I spoke too soon. It only helped for a day.... :(
retiredjg

Postby grok87 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm

retiredjg wrote:
retiredjg wrote: However, Safari > Preferences > Security > "Block pop-up windows" box checked seems to have worked for me! This is great!

I guess I spoke too soon. It only helped for a day.... :(

Exactly. That's why i'm considering glimmerblocker. I guess I'm still interested in hearing from others who use it and what the pluses and minuses are...
grok, CFA
Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby lazyday » Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 am

Must you use Safari?

Using Chrome or Firefox might solve the problem. Both have pretty good native pop up blockers.

If you try Chrome of Firefox and the ads still come, you can then use a free "Extension" or "Add-On" for blocking ads. This will very likely solve the problem.

There are of course plusses and minuses to switching browsers, but it's free and somewhat easy to try.
lazyday

Postby SnapShots » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am

lazyday wrote:There are of course plusses and minuses to switching browsers, but it's free and somewhat easy to try.

I switch browsers all the time - Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Explorer. I use Chrome for my financial accounts: banking, Vanguard. The others for browsing. Read where you should use a different browser for online financial business. Helps protect identify and password theft.

I was a sucker and installed MacKeeper and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. The Mac forum is full of users saying: DON'T install it.

Advertisers have gotten more sophisticated. I've noticed if my mouse merely passes over a word or ad, it will pop open. Have checked all the boxes to stop ads, but to no avail. Will check out glimmer.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
SnapShots

Postby frugaltype » Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 am

SnapShots wrote:I was a sucker and installed MacKeeper and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. The Mac forum is full of users saying: DON'T install it.

Advertisers have gotten more sophisticated. I've noticed if my mouse merely passes over a word or ad, it will pop open. Have checked all the boxes to stop ads, but to no avail. Will check out glimmer.

I use Firefox on Windows. Setting block popup windows works for me, but, of course, I do not have MacKeeper installed. I don't know the equivalent of this procedure on a Mac, but to get rid of stuff that leaves remnants around, I look at the startup programs and remove anything I don't want there. I also go (with see hidden files and folders set) up to the system area and remove any remnants in Application Data and Program Files.

What I wish I could get rid of are the darn slider things and the quasi-popups (mostly asking people to take a survey about the website) that aren't separate windows.)
frugaltype

Postby lwfitzge » Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 am

I've had better luck after switching to Chrome as my main browser.
lwfitzge

Postby lazyday » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 am

I thought this was just an ad, didn't realize it is intentionally installed software.

There are some sites easily found googling
uninstall MacKeeper
including this one:
http://www.macexpertguide.com/2012/11/1 ... -2011-mac/

I haven't used a mac in some years and am not expert on this; don't know which site has the best advice.
lazyday

Postby Dulocracy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am

You may also want to consider that there may be some nasty something that has infiltrated your mac. Yes, it can happen. The guy that heads the company that my firm uses for IT strongly recommended downloading the free anti-virus program Sophos for mac. I am glad that I did so. I would highly recommend it.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Dulocracy

Return to Personal Consumer Issues