What home gym equipment do you have?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: What home gym equipment do you have?

Postby leonard » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

Blues wrote:
pingo wrote:I'm seeing a lot of PowerBlocks here. What, no love for IronMaster Quick-Lock Dumbbells?

They're not nearly as quick to change, but they don't feel any different than gym dumbbells. Just curious.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've had my PowerBlocks for somewhere around 15 years. I don't think there was any competing product around going back that far and they're still going strong. They are definitely built for a lifetime of work and I couldn't be happier with the ease of use. (Plus I use magnetic weights for micro-loads as needed. You'll see them on the floor to the side of the PowerBlocks in the images I posted.)

I do, however, have a SuperBench from IronMaster and it's served me well now for several years. The many available incline adjustments are literally a snap and are very stable. Great investment if you use any kind of inclined movements.

I have both powerblocks and the ironmaster. The powerblocks are far, far superior. The ironmasters are marketed as quick change - but they really aren't that fast. I would go with powerblocks.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby daytona084 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Dumbbells, 8 lb, 10 lb and 15 lbs.
Standard Barbell with Weights
Pull-Up bar (home-made)
Bench for Step-Ups and Tricep Dips
Floor Mat
Treadmill for cardio
Road Bike

This is an inspiring thread!
daytona084

Postby caklim00 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

1) 300 LB Olympic Weight Set (Play it Again Sports)
2) Cheap Incline/Flat Bench (nybarbells.com)
3) Power Rack with Lat Pulldown and Pullup Bar (bought off someone for $50)
4) Spinlock dumbells - can go from 5 - 85 lbs adding Standard Cap Plates (I think from Play it Again)
5) 4 Horse Stall Mats to Protect Floor (Tractor Supply Company)
Other miscellaneous: Tricep Rope, Pulldown Bar (Came with Power rack), EZ Curl Bar, Small Dumbbells (1-20lb), Standard Straight bar - never use but came with the Standard Cap Plates

I do roughly 40% of weight workouts at home and other 60% in company gym, which is better overall but they don't have a Power Rack so I prefer doing legs at home.

EDIT: I also have a Spin Bike for Cardio at home if I can't run outside.

I like the Blast Strap idea by the way... I might have to consider those.
caklim00

Postby pingo » Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm

leonard wrote:I have both powerblocks and the ironmaster. The powerblocks are far, far superior.

Great comments from everyone so far.

leonard wrote:The ironmasters are marketed as quick change - but they really aren't that fast. I would go with powerblocks.

I've seen this comment before, that is that the IronMasters can't be changed all that fast — don't get me wrong I believe it. My experience with both is very limited, but I could see why they would both be loved. Powerblocks are the clear winner for ascending/descending sets or other quick-changing needs because of the fast changes.

I just remember the feel of the PowerBlocks while lifting was different enough for me to give the nod to the IronMasters, which seemed like I'd expect regular gym dumbbells to feel. That said, I haven't used either in any of the really heavy weight configurations (above 90 lbs), which I also suppose might affect the dynamics again, but in a different way.
pingo

Postby leonard » Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm

caklim00 wrote:I like the Blast Strap idea by the way... I might have to consider those.

They work extremely well. And, they are durable - mine have lasted for 4 or so years of use with no damage to the straps or hardware - other than a little bit of the chrome coming off the handles. And, Elitefts has them on sale occasionally for 10% to 20% off. Great piece of equipment for adding variety in the home gym.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby leonard » Fri May 03, 2013 3:20 pm

pingo wrote:
leonard wrote:I have both powerblocks and the ironmaster. The powerblocks are far, far superior.

Great comments from everyone so far.

leonard wrote:The ironmasters are marketed as quick change - but they really aren't that fast. I would go with powerblocks.

I've seen this comment before, that is that the IronMasters can't be changed all that fast — don't get me wrong I believe it. My experience with both is very limited, but I could see why they would both be loved. Powerblocks are the clear winner for ascending/descending sets or other quick-changing needs because of the fast changes.

I just remember the feel of the PowerBlocks while lifting was different enough for me to give the nod to the IronMasters, which seemed like I'd expect regular gym dumbbells to feel. That said, I haven't used either in any of the really heavy weight configurations (above 90 lbs), which I also suppose might affect the dynamics again, but in a different way.

Powerblocks are different at first. But, once you get used to them, you don't even notice the very slight shifting of the weights. Plus, you can find used powerblocks much more readily than ironmasters. I found that buying the ironmaster meant buying brand new and therefore relatively more expense.

Also, if you work out with someone else, powerblocks are really the only option, unless you wanted to get 2 sets (expensive!) of the ironmasters. I work out with my wife so switching weights would be time prohibitive with 2 people working out using the ironmasters.
leonard

Postby pingo » Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm

IronMind has a nice article on an easy way to build a great lifting platform.

And there's nothing like having a good bench. Blues features the IronMaster Super Bench in his photo and I have never heard anything negative about it. Another one I'm partial to is the IronMind 5-Star Flat Bench, which is expensive and non-adjusting. I actually prefer doing incline bench presses on a strong (commercial grade) flat bench where I can prop one end of the bench on a plyometric box.

Rather than put money into a poor bench, you can sometimes find good ones from a decades ago that are ugly, rusty and built to last. My friend's dad saw one out on the street with a "Free" sign on it. I couldn't believe what a quality piece of equipment it was. Of course, they're not all that way.

As an alternative, your back only needs to be a few inches off the ground to have a full range of motion for bench pressing. There were a couple times I worked out at home and it occurred to me to grab a spare shelf or two from an adjustable bookcase and wrap it in my wife's yoga mat. I then rested the padded plank on top of an unabridged dictionary and a concise encyclopedia. It worked quite well. I was inspired by the simple design of the Soloflex workout platform that looks like one could build with wood from Home Depot and a closed-cell foam sleeping pad, rather than using steel tubing and a fancy polyurethane coating

leonard wrote:Powerblocks are different at first. But, once you get used to them, you don't even notice the very slight shifting of the weights. Plus, you can find used powerblocks much more readily than ironmasters. I found that buying the ironmaster meant buying brand new and therefore relatively more expense.

Also, if you work out with someone else, powerblocks are really the only option, unless you wanted to get 2 sets (expensive!) of the ironmasters. I work out with my wife so switching weights would be time prohibitive with 2 people working out using the ironmasters.

I appreciate the feedback. Your experience confirms my own. I've always thought that if I came across some used IronMasters, I'd buy them. But, I've never come across any used ones. (sigh) I hadn't thought much about used PowerBlocks, as obvious an option as that is. I guess I have some window shopping to do at ebay and craigslist...

My apologies to others for the tangent, but I thank your for your indulgence.
pingo

Postby Blues » Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Pingo,

Funny...if you look at the back of my images you'll see that my chin-up station is an old Soloflex that I must've bought around 1982. Wow, 31 years ago! :shock:

I only use it for chins anymore as all other movements are done with free weights except for shoulder warmups which are done with a band.
(I also used to use it for dips before getting a dedicated dipping station some years back. The old rubber straps are used for door stops and bookends in the shop.)

I think that "workout platform" that you linked to costs just about as much as the whole Soloflex did (delivered) back then. :oops:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Blues

Postby leonard » Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 pm

pingo wrote:IronMind has a nice article on an easy way to build a great lifting platform.

And there's nothing like having a good bench. Blues features the IronMaster Super Bench in his photo and I have never heard anything negative about it. Another one I'm partial to is the IronMind 5-Star Flat Bench, which is expensive and non-adjusting. I actually prefer doing incline bench presses on a strong (commercial grade) flat bench where I can prop one end of the bench on a plyometric box.

Rather than put money into a poor bench, you can sometimes find good ones from a decades ago that are ugly, rusty and built to last. My friend's dad saw one out on the street with a "Free" sign on it. I couldn't believe what a quality piece of equipment it was. Of course, they're not all that way.

As an alternative, your back only needs to be a few inches off the ground to have a full range of motion for bench pressing. There were a couple times I worked out at home and it occurred to me to grab a spare shelf or two from an adjustable bookcase and wrap it in my wife's yoga mat. I then rested the padded plank on top of an unabridged dictionary and a concise encyclopedia. It worked quite well. I was inspired by the simple design of the Soloflex workout platform that looks like one could build with wood from Home Depot and a closed-cell foam sleeping pad, rather than using steel tubing and a fancy polyurethane coating

leonard wrote:Powerblocks are different at first. But, once you get used to them, you don't even notice the very slight shifting of the weights. Plus, you can find used powerblocks much more readily than ironmasters. I found that buying the ironmaster meant buying brand new and therefore relatively more expense.

I appreciate the feedback. Your experience confirms my own. I've always thought that if I came across some used IronMasters, I'd buy them. But, I've never come across any used ones. (sigh) I hadn't thought much about used PowerBlocks, as obvious an option as that is. I guess I have some window shopping to do at ebay and craigslist...

My apologies to others for the tangent, but I thank your for your indulgence.

That ironmind lifting platform is the plan I used for my platform - only I expanded it to be 8 by 10 feet. Works perfectly under my powerrack. I put reference lines on mine - to facilitate getting exact foot placement width for squats and deadlifts.
leonard

Postby Blues » Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Always liked IronMind's catalog and some of their equipment. Never cared for the prices, though. :shock:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Blues

Postby pingo » Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 am

Blues wrote:Pingo,

Funny...if you look at the back of my images you'll see that my chin-up station is an old Soloflex that I must've bought around 1982. Wow, 31 years ago! :shock:

I only use it for chins anymore as all other movements are done with free weights except for shoulder warmups which are done with a band.
(I also used to use it for dips before getting a dedicated dipping station some years back. The old rubber straps are used for door stops and bookends in the shop.)

I think that "workout platform" that you linked to costs just about as much as the whole Soloflex did (delivered) back then. :oops:

The Soloflex and I have a history, too. (sigh) I never felt my muscles were stimulated except in the last 1/2 of the movements, and I was never sore after a workout. Combining freeweight resistance with the Soloflex weightstraps (using the weight adapters) made for a uniquely smooth exercises that are difficult to describe, but the drawback was that it made changing things around really slow.

Fortunately I didn't pay full price the unit along and the expensive Soloflex handweights. I still have the handweights.

Blues wrote:Always liked IronMind's catalog and some of their equipment. Never cared for the prices, though. :shock:

Same here. One thing that impressed me is when I called the company with some questions, the customer service rep said, "Would you like to talk to the president of the company? I think he's in his office." What ensued was an enlightening conversation with Randall Straussen who couldn't be nicer and truly has no interest in anybody buying more equipment than they need. He prefers simple and effective. You can see it reflected in the captions of his catalogs, which in my opinion are more worthwhile to read than any of the weightlifting magazines I used to buy.

Also, I love their protein powder. Simple, simple, simple.
pingo

Postby Blues » Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am

pingo wrote:Same here. One thing that impressed me is when I called the company with some questions, the customer service rep said, "Would you like to talk to the president of the company? I think he's in his office." What ensued was an enlightening conversation with Randall Straussen who couldn't be nicer and truly has no interest in anybody buying more equipment than they need. He prefers simple and effective. You can see it reflected in the captions of his catalogs, which in my opinion are more worthwhile to read than any of the weightlifting magazines I used to buy.

Also, I love their protein powder. Simple, simple, simple.

I've never spoken to him over the phone but i have corresponded with him via email in years past. We carried on a cyber conversation about various squat, deadlift, chinning and dipping routines. He was very receptive and i agree with your take on him...he is a believer in the big compound movements (as am I, though not nearly so strong).

I still base my routine around my version of the big three: squats, (or in my case parallel grip deadlifts with an 80 lb. shrug bar and bumpers), weighted dips and weighted chins.
Blues

Postby reggiesimpson » Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Get a decent pair of sneakers and start walking......................and dont stop!
reggiesimpson

Postby arthurb999 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 pm

What I have:

weight vest
adjustable sandbag
resistance bands
homemade TRX (I use it for pullups, bodyweight rows, ring dips)
kettlebell
heavy bag
jump rope
grip trainer
gym boss timer
and...
A steep hill in my neighborhood.
arthurb999

Postby fatlittlepig » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm

holy cow- you don't need all of that (in my opinion of course)
my gym is the outside road, I run about 15-20 miles/week, lift weights at a small work gym (also have a pair of dumbbells at home)]
actually don't even need weights, this is a decent work out: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

AnesBH wrote:Our home gym...

fatlittlepig
fatlittlepig

Postby lightheir » Thu May 23, 2013 12:56 am

You might not need all that stuff, but someone who's very dedicated to weightlifting would find that room awesome.

I chuckle when I see all the hype about '7 minute workouts' to great health on NYT or other big media. I'm a serious triathlete and have spent a lot of time at all levels trying out what works and what doesn't in terms of training, improvement, and getting most bang for the buck in terms of time:effort ratio.

The (obvious) conclusion - there are NO shortcuts. None. If someone, even a reputable person is selling you a sounds too-good-to-be-true shortcut fitness method that allegedly equals hours of training, it's too good to be true. You put in the hard work and the hours, and you'll get results commensurate to your training.

If I could just have one thing for fitness, it would be running shoes. A good pair of those, and you're good to go for overall heallth and life, even at the highest levels. But I also know how useful other tools are, and I'm glad I have them. (I put a lot of miles on a treadmill as well as a pretty elaborate bike trainer setup.)
lightheir

Postby izreel » Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 am

I have a pull up and dip unit I purchased from Amazon a few years ago. Think it was about $175. Works great and very stable.

I have 25 lb dumbells and kettle bells. Also resistance bands. I use Insantiy, Insanity The Asylum and P90X DVDs.

I also live in upstate NY where there are great running trails and hiking.
izreel

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I have a set of dumbbells, resistance bands and a treadmill.

Also, I recently purchased a treadmill desk which I use while working on my computer, but I have started having problems with pain in my left arm and shoulder. I suspect is a posture/ergonomics problem. Stumped right now and trying to figure it out. The pain lessens when I stay off the treadmill.

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby harrychan » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I have a dyna band and use gravity.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
harrychan

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues