Tires & Frugality bit me, now venting...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SimonJester

Tires & Frugality bit me, now venting...

Post by SimonJester »

Sometimes (ok most times) frugality will come back to bite me. In June of 2011 I replaced all 4 tires on my vehicle but instead of going to the normal tire place I use I went somewhere else that was slightly cheaper.

Without naming names, my usual tire place is a big chain and has always treated me good been fairly reasonable on prices and is right down the street from me. Well in an effort to save some bucks I went to one of the warehouse club stores.

So a year or so later I didn't bother to read the fine print on the warranty and missed the fact they want you to rotate your tires every 6000 miles vs I normally rotate every 10,000. This is totally my fault I goofed and was over that millage by 4k. When I did rotate my tires (myself) I ended up with a real bad radial pull that followed the tire so I have a bad tire.

It was upon going back to replace this tire that I discovered I was outside the rotation millage. The tire section of the store was understaffed that day and it took 45 minutes just to get a person to come to the counter the manager of the store couldn't even get into the back repair shop and the two employee could not leave with just one person in the shop due to safety reasons.
When the employee did come to the counter they said it would be 2 to 4 hours to fix the tire and they wouldn't cover it because of the millage. I declined to fix it and decided to live with the pull.

Now yesterday while going into work I picked up a screw in my tire. By the time I noticed it I had driven on the tire several miles. So I figured the tire was a goner.

So I went back to my normal tire store where I had not purchased the current set of tires and explained the tire pull and flat. They confirmed the flat tire had internal damage to the belts and was not repairable (I visually confirmed this as well). So now the tough decision came, do we just put two new tires on, replacing the one tire we believed to be the problem pull tire, or go with all 4 new ones.

Working up the numbers, we came to $100 difference between two and four tires on a much better tire. So I decided to go with 4 new ones as this would for sure remove the tire pull as well. The tire shop ended up giving me one free tire, credit for the other tires and there was a manufacturer rebate on the other tires.

I'm kicking myself that I replaced a set of tires with only 13k miles on them, kicking myself I tried to save money and of course it bit me.

I know 90% of this sits on my shoulders, but I guess you live and learn....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
MindBogler

Re: Tires & Frugality bit me, now venting...

Post by MindBogler »

SimonJester wrote:So a year or so later I didn't bother to read the fine print on the warranty and missed the fact they want you to rotate your tires every 6000 miles vs I normally rotate every 10,000. This is totally my fault I goofed and was over that millage by 4k. When I did rotate my tires (myself) I ended up with a real bad radial pull that followed the tire so I have a bad tire.
Unless you rotated unidirectional tires incorrectly, I don't see how you ended up with a radial pull? The only real mistake you can make in tire rotation is putting a uni tire on the opposite side of the car. A pulling tire is usually defective and there are various procedures to isolate the cause.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I can say that I had an experience with Costco where they wouldn't rotate my tires, not because of the mileage, but rather than the depth of the grooves were too far apart between front and back sets.

Otherwise, I've had no other issues with Costco.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

It is not the process of frugality that caused the issue, it was the implementation.... In this case, it was the particular warehouse store you selected for the cheaper set of tires. It was their warranty period, their selection of product, and their poor customer service that led to your issues with the defective tires.

One should always research the reliability and reputation of both the product and the supplier of the product. Frugal does not mean selecting the cheapest option blindly. It means selecting the best value, which includes assessing the quality of the product, not just the price of the product. Sometimes the best value is the higher price tag, just because the slight increase in price gets one a vastly better product and/or service. This is particularly true for something so vital to one's safety as tires.
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

SimonJester wrote:I'm kicking myself that I replaced a set of tires with only 13k miles on them...
If it makes you feel any better, I only expect 15-18k miles from a set of tires... and that's running them a bit longer than I probably should.

Personally I purchase tires online from tirerack. Even after paying shipping and mounting costs, I'm coming out ahead $50 a set or so from buying from a "price-matching" retailer (the caveats in their price-matching policies are kinda special...)

I do find your story gives me pause for thought though as I hadn't really given much thought to replacing a tire that develops a defect (as opposed to having a demonstrable one at initial installation) I'll need to check into the manufacturers warranties a bit better and see what caveats and gotchas they may have. Perhaps my $50 savings per set only makes sense given the short-life of the tires I buy. Hm... something to think on. Thanks! I think... :wink:
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Khanmots wrote:
SimonJester wrote:I'm kicking myself that I replaced a set of tires with only 13k miles on them...
If it makes you feel any better, I only expect 15-18k miles from a set of tires... and that's running them a bit longer than I probably should...
This is hard to believe.
It's not the 1960's anymore; you must be doing something wrong.
I've got 45,000 miles on my OE 2008 Mustang tires and there's still tread left.
You must be doing something wrong...
Attempted new signature...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The Wizard wrote:
Khanmots wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I only expect 15-18k miles from a set of tires... and that's running them a bit longer than I probably should...
This is hard to believe.
Pushing 45 on my OE RAV4. Wife's '06 Corolla is still rolling on originals just about 60K. The latter ones need replacing now and the RAV probably in 6 months (50K).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

The Wizard wrote:
Khanmots wrote:
This is hard to believe.
All depends on the tread compound and what tradeoffs it makes. My tires trade off longevity for increased grip. The manufacturer of your tires didn't make that tradeoff for the model of tire you have. Look at the tires on a Prius, the low rolling resistance comes at a cost... reduced ride comfort and increased road noise.

Picking the right tire is about knowing what characteristics are important to you and finding a quality tire that makes the tradeoffs that you want. I've got the set that I'm comfortable with... while I could go further and get an even softer tire, dropping the effective life to 6-10k miles isn't something that I find worthwhile. And I'm not going to shave my tires either...

It's all about finding the correct balance for you.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

MindBogler wrote:
SimonJester wrote:So a year or so later I didn't bother to read the fine print on the warranty and missed the fact they want you to rotate your tires every 6000 miles vs I normally rotate every 10,000. This is totally my fault I goofed and was over that millage by 4k. When I did rotate my tires (myself) I ended up with a real bad radial pull that followed the tire so I have a bad tire.
Unless you rotated unidirectional tires incorrectly, I don't see how you ended up with a radial pull? The only real mistake you can make in tire rotation is putting a uni tire on the opposite side of the car. A pulling tire is usually defective and there are various procedures to isolate the cause.

Moving the tires left to right was to isolate and determine if the issue was alignment vs pull. These were non directional tires. Since the pull followed the tire it was not likely alignment issues, this is confirmed by the absent of pull with a new set of tires. The pull was there all along just not enough of an issue when the bad tire was on the back to cause problems...

As to frugality comment, it just seems sometimes when I try to take a shortcut doing something and fail, I then spend not only the cost of the shortcut but the cost of doing it the right way as well. :oops:

Thanks for the comments, good to vent.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

It was upon going back to replace this tire that I discovered I was outside the rotation millage. The tire section of the store was understaffed that day and it took 45 minutes just to get a person to come to the counter the manager of the store couldn't even get into the back repair shop and the two employee could not leave with just one person in the shop due to safety reasons.

When the employee did come to the counter they said it would be 2 to 4 hours to fix the tire and they wouldn't cover it because of the millage.
The lack of rotations did not cause a pull, but perhaps the warranty for this defect had expired?

Mine say "Uniformity Warranty: 1 Year / first 2/32" of wear"
WHL

Post by WHL »

After growing up with a bunch of guys who ended up / still work at America's (Discount) Tire Company, I will never go anywhere else. I've been tempted to go elsewhere for cheaper pricing, but their nationwide coverage, great warranty, and super service has always made me happy. Spent almost a grand on 17" tires for my Silverado last year - it hurt then, but they'll probably outlive the truck :)
Khanmots wrote: If it makes you feel any better, I only expect 15-18k miles from a set of tires... and that's running them a bit longer than I probably should.
You runnin Pilot Super Sports or something? Track racing on the weekends?
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Khanmots wrote: If it makes you feel any better, I only expect 15-18k miles from a set of tires... and that's running them a bit longer than I probably should.
Wow! We get anywhere from 50K to 60K on a set of tires, and no, the tread isn't worn below the replacement mark. We rotate once every 10K miles, or so.
We buy Michelins at either Costco or Discount Tire. Both have excellent warranty and service, in our experience.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I just got rid of a Jeep I had almost 10 years. The OEM tires went 48K before I replaced them, with plenty of legal tread remaining and evenly worn front to rear, side to side, as I wanted to change them out before the Florida rainy season. The replacements went almost 40K before I replaced the car... they too were evenly worn side to side, front to back. I never rotated on the Jeep and most everything else I've had were different sizes front to back and rotationally marked.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Up and down the hills of Pittsburgh, no one gets more than 30,000 and often just 18,000-25,000.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leesbro63 wrote:Up and down the hills of Pittsburgh, no one gets more than 30,000 and often just 18,000-25,000.
I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 70s. We lost a lot of hubcaps driving in Pittsburgh.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

WHL wrote:After growing up with a bunch of guys who ended up / still work at America's (Discount) Tire Company, I will never go anywhere else. I've been tempted to go elsewhere for cheaper pricing, but their nationwide coverage, great warranty, and super service has always made me happy. Spent almost a grand on 17" tires for my Silverado last year - it hurt then, but they'll probably outlive the truck :)
You runnin Pilot Super Sports or something? Track racing on the weekends?
BFGoodRich g-Force Sport COMP-2

Not yet, keep thinking about getting involved with the amateur autocross events in the area though.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jebmke wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:Up and down the hills of Pittsburgh, no one gets more than 30,000 and often just 18,000-25,000.
I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 70s. We lost a lot of hubcaps driving in Pittsburgh.
And brake pads/shoes have to be replaced every 12-24 months (if common mileage)
money

Post by money »

I used to get tires at Costco, but I found it is not worth it, and I just recently bought them from America's Tire. The service at Costco is terrible and I always dreaded going to get my tires rotated since it took a very long time (few hours) and required advanced planning. I heard the rotation line from my mom as well, I think it is a ploy to get out of the warranty and put the customer on the defensive. If tire rotation is necessary for the warranty, they should make it much easier to get it done in their shop. I try to get the best tires for my car since having a poor quality tire can easily cost more in the long-run with towing or worse.
1Fi1LTvx8KmtotRqcha9mj5h43319mJvjY
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I would have gotten a manager and cause a scene until they agreed to replace it.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

A cautionary note about TIRE RACK and DISCOUNT TIRE (online): While their prices and selection cannot be beat, their ability to service problems and pro-rate tires that wear prematurely is limited. In order to make a warranty claim, they need to have the tire shipped back (at the customer's cost) to them. And you need to drive on something in the meantime. Whereas a local dealer will pro-rate as part of the replacement process. It also appears that sales tax will soon be collected (and is supposed to be paid anyway, even if not collected directly from the retailer), in most states. So I've moved away from buying tires online. They are a good comparison sight to take to a local retailer as bargaining power. But unless you are OK knowing that warranty claims will be impractical, be careful buying tires online.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

My son bought tires from tire rack, had them mounted at Walmart, wore them out in about 8000 miles and got pro-rated replacements under warranty at Sears (who was the most convenient dealer for that brand of tires). The warranty is from the manufacturer, you can get warranty service from any authorized dealer.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jeffyscott wrote:My son bought tires from tire rack, had them mounted at Walmart, wore them out in about 8000 miles and got pro-rated replacements under warranty at Sears (who was the most convenient dealer for that brand of tires). The warranty is from the manufacturer, you can get warranty service from any authorized dealer.
My experience has been that this is not exactly right. Sometimes the local guys can and will go to bat with the manufacturer for internet-bot tires and sometimes they can't or won't.