Best place to buy a treadmill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rex

Best place to buy a treadmill

Post by rex »

Hi Folks,

I never purchased any exercise equipment before - usually worked out at the gym - that is no longer possible because we just had a baby. So looking to buy a treadmill at home. Does anyone have suggestions on :

1. What price range i should be looking at to get a decent machine that does not fall apart in a few months ? Any specific brand suggestions ?
2. What is the best place to get them for a good price ?

thanks,
rex
Swampy

Re: Best place to buy a treadmill

Post by Swampy »

May I suggest good shoes and an exercise stroller.

As far as I'm concerned, the treadmill we bought was an expensive piece of junk that eventually collected dust - despite our best intentions!
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

There's only a few days a year that I can't run outside die to the weather. The treadmill effectively kills everything I love about running.

Anyway, if you are a serious runner you need a good one or it will just break. Check out Runners World, they do reviews.

Jogging strollers cost less than treadmills.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

rex wrote:2. What is the best place to get them for a good price ?
Craigslist?

Last summer I had decided to look for a treadmill (ended up switching to getting an elliptical, a thing I'd not even heard of until I started reading about treadmills). Anyway, got one for $35 from someone just a mile or so away. It was just a cheapie, but would have been $200 new. Plus buying used meant I did not have to assemble it :happy . The seller even delivered it as we did not have a vehicle that it would fit in.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

I have a Sole treadmill and have been very happy with it. I bought it from Amazon and was pleased with them also.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

How often/long are you planning to use it? Some people like running on a treadmill, most of us call it a dreadmill. I bought one used on Craiglist 2 years ago. Knock on wood it's had no issues, I use it maybe 10 times a year for 2-5 miles each time. I can't get myself to run farther than that on it at one time!
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Take a look at Costco. They sell several models although Amazon seems to have a better selection. Also make sure to read Consumer Reports review of treads and elliptically. Like an earlier reply I think most of them end up as dust collectors.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Your choice depends a lot on what you plan to do with it.

Since moving back north, we had to get a treadmill for the dreaded winters months. It has about 1500 miles on it after 2 winter seasons of running. With a small baby at home, it's even harder to get outside.

If you plan to walk and run a few miles a week (less than 10), then just about any $400-$600 treadmill will be fine. It'll last you quite a while at that rate. Cragistlist for a used one is the best bang for the buck, but moving one of these things is not easy.

If you decide to get a new one, decide whether you need it to fold up or not. Non-folding will be cheaper. Do you really need a TV in it? (it'll break and you'll have to pay $$ to have it repaired) or fancy programs and such. The things to look for are the size of the belt, HP of the motor, noise level, and warranty.

My wife and I use ours a lot. When I started running, i started with a $500 unit from Sears. It lasted a long time and I think I sold it for $300 after 5-7 years. We now have a Sole. I find it to be a very good machine. If you can find a good used Sole T60 on Craigslist for sub-$500, it'll be a good machine.
jbk

Post by jbk »

rex wrote:Hi Folks,

I never purchased any exercise equipment before - usually worked out at the gym - that is no longer possible because we just had a baby. So looking to buy a treadmill at home. Does anyone have suggestions on :

1. What price range i should be looking at to get a decent machine that does not fall apart in a few months ? Any specific brand suggestions ?

thanks,
rex
I run about 9 miles a week on my Vision Fitness T9200 which I bought a couple of years ago for $1500 from a store that only sold treadmills. It's been great for me and was recommended by Consumer Reports. I would suggest an investment in ConsumerReports.org might be worthwhile for what could potentially be a big purchase.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Look on the internet for a Play It Again Sports store near you. They have tons of used good sports equipment of all types. Better selection than Craiglists. Not as cheap but they also carry better stuff as they take consignment stuff from people that buy good stuff and don't need it anymore.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

Bill
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (exercise equipment).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Craigslist - if you are absolutely sure you will use it. Unless you are in a high crime area - it might more sense to hit the streets. Those treadmills take up a lot of space.

A another exercise machine I would suggest is a Concept2 rower - because it takes up less space. If you have 8 ft or higher ceilings, you can stand it on end and it's floor footprint is only 2.5" by 3". They are easy to tip down to use then tip back up for storage.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Craigslist....people bought them (treadmill or running strollers) for the new year and already given up. Used workout equipment is worth half no matter if its a day used from new.
Last edited by mike143 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

We recently bought a treadmill. Our old one (purchased used and lasted just a few frustrating months) busted last spring and we went nine months without one. I had our third baby January 1 and needed a way to exercise. Bundling up two older kids and a baby to walk outside in the Wisconsin winter was not an option I would consider for serious fitness - it takes me an hour to walk two miles with the kids and that doesn't count bundling them up. Also, newborns can't go in jogging strollers until they are old enough to sit up (six months), and the ice/snow piles made navigating with a stroller (or even just feet) dangerous.

After wasting time cruising Craigslist and finding nothing, we bought the Lifespan Fitness 1200i from Amazon. We also considered a Precor model that didn't fold that was about $1500-1600 (I like Precor, but not enough to justify the 50% premium), but decided against it because it didn't fold.

The Lifespan was very easy to put together, taking maybe an hour - and that's with two "helpers" ages three and five. The heartrate monitor on it doesn't work (or I can't figure it out), and the controls are basic, but my husband and I both really like using it. No fans, no fancy anything - just a basic treadmill.

The last month of my three month maternity leave I walked 100 miles on it (with a newborn attached to my chest in an Ergo). My husband was up to 8-10 mile runs on it pretty quickly and had no complaints.

Now I'm back to work and I walk just eight miles a week on it, but I really like having the option to get up early on the weekends and get some exercise in. I enjoy walks with my kids, but the focus of those is not mommy's fitness, but rather getting to a park, exploring a creek, or just meandering over to a friend's house.

Erin
Last edited by bungalow10 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

mike143 wrote:Craigslist....people bought them for the new year and already given up. Used workout equipment is worth half no matter if its a day used from new.
Around here people take off just a hundred or two and equipment still sells in less than a day. I even offered someone MORE than they were asking and still didn't get the treadmill.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I just spent 2 hours with an old friend walking rapidly on the path at a local park. We had a great conversation. My legs are sore. I'm glad I don't have a treadmill. Sorry but I just don't get the treadmill thing.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

tc101 wrote:I just spent 2 hours with an old friend walking rapidly on the path at a local park. We had a great conversation. My legs are sore. I'm glad I don't have a treadmill. Sorry but I just don't get the treadmill thing.
You would if you lived further north!
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Maybe worse in the north, but most places have bad weather of one kind or another, will tc101 be bragging about walking around Atlanta for 2 hours in July?

One can do both (though I chose elliptical over treadmill for less impact on knees and less noise), I walk 2-3 miles at least 5-6 days per week and also elliptical for 30 minutes twice per week.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

tc101 wrote:I just spent 2 hours with an old friend walking rapidly on the path at a local park. We had a great conversation. My legs are sore. I'm glad I don't have a treadmill. Sorry but I just don't get the treadmill thing.
It's cold rain six months a year along with sunset at 415. Also having a twelve hour day necessitating 530 am runs all while having child care duties. Walk or run in another's shoes, thank you.

I've been extremely happy with our Sole. $1400 new, delivered and assembled. Lifetime motor warranty.
Topic Author
rex

Post by rex »

Thanks for all the pointers folks - much appreciated.

Yes , the whole situation changes when you're on parental duty -its very difficult to stick to your routine when everything revolves around the baby.

It seems like I'll be going with amazon and shelling out something like 1k for a decent piece of hardware.

-rex
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm probably going to move to Portland next year after I retire, and I know the weather might make it difficult to run outdoors, but I'm going to try, because I thinking running on a treadmill would be dreadfully boring.
Gordon
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

btenny wrote:Look on the internet for a Play It Again Sports store near you. They have tons of used good sports equipment of all types. Better selection than Craiglists. Not as cheap but they also carry better stuff as they take consignment stuff from people that buy good stuff and don't need it anymore.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

Bill
Bill - you beat me to it. A consignment store for exercise equipment gives you better selection than buying one on Craig's list plus you can potentially check out multiple treadmills at the same time. Late spring is probably a good time as buyers remorse has had time to set in for those with overly ambitious New Year's resolutions. I would also check out a big box sporting goods store to get a feel for full price treadmills and what features are available at which price points. When checking out treadmills, I would recommend running up the speed and the incline to check out the stability and whether the belt slips at higher speeds. Some of the cheaper models do not do well in these two aspects.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I purchased one at Costco - in-store not online. It is an Epic brand, is very well constructed and has lasted 8-9 years now with no problems. We use it on average three times per week so it's not just a clothes hanger.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

I've had a Precor 9.27 for about 5 years. I've been very pleased with it and have had no problems. It was a bit more expensive than standard treadmills at Sports Authority, Dick's, etc. Its basically a fitness center model/quality. But I justified its expense buy saving on a gym memebrship (and cholesterol medication). We purchased it from a store that sells fitness equipment typically found in fitness centers http://www.fitnessexpostores.com/
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

gkaplan wrote:I'm probably going to move to Portland next year after I retire, and I know the weather might make it difficult to run outdoors, but I'm going to try, because I thinking running on a treadmill would be dreadfully boring.
C'mon up! You can run in the rain as long as you have the right gear, live near a decent park or trail, and your schedule allows you to run between 8:30 and 4 in the winter. Also it helps if you're willing to skip days when it's just really coming down, which is rare. Most of the time it's sprinkling, or drizzling, or misting, or fogging, or just did one of those things, or is just about to, but it's not outright pouring. On days like that you can skip the run. The big limitation for me is that I still have a job and young kids, and running in both the rain and the dark before or after work would be worse than running on the treadmill.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I like to run first thing in the morning, just before the sun comes up, but I guess I can sleep in an hour longer.
Gordon
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You can have my treadmill for free, but you have to pick it up. The problem with selling on craigslist or similar is that you have the sales tax paperwork to fill out. And if you try to have a garage sale to clean out other stuff in your garage , you have to pay the pricey permit fee - and then do the sales tax paperwork, too.

Paul
leonard

Post by leonard »

tibbitts wrote:You can have my treadmill for free, but you have to pick it up. The problem with selling on craigslist or similar is that you have the sales tax paperwork to fill out. And if you try to have a garage sale to clean out other stuff in your garage , you have to pay the pricey permit fee - and then do the sales tax paperwork, too.

Paul
Yes. Of Course. Sales tax paperwork....
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

jbk wrote:

thanks,
rex
I run about 9 miles a week on my Vision Fitness T9200 which I bought a couple of years ago for $1500 from a store that only sold treadmills. It's been great for me and was recommended by Consumer Reports. I would suggest an investment in ConsumerReports.org might be worthwhile for what could potentially be a big purchase.
For 9 miles a week, you significantly overpaid for a machine that is way more than you need.
TRC

Post by TRC »

thanks,
rex
IMO, you get what you payfor with a treadmill.

I'd highly recommend Sole Treadmills: http://www.soletreadmills.com/?a_aid=4b ... d=5367c829

I ordered mine from them direct 5+ years ago and it's been a champ. I run hard interval circuits 5 - 10 mph on 3- 5% in inclines. It's a solid machine. I did have an electrical malfunction where the computer starated acting up after 3 or so years of owning it. They tried to troubleshoot it for me, but could not fix it remotely. They ended up sending me a completely new upper unit for free. The best part?...they sent it to me no questions asked and then just asked that I return the broken portion later. A+ customer service, and these things are built really well.
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

I own a Landice treadmill and a Sole elliptical. Both are great machines. I ordered the Sole directly from Sole (on-line) and saved a couple hundred dollars over what I would have paid locally Sears or on-line from Amazon. Suggest if you do buy Sole, that you phone rather than place the order via the Internet. I got an extra $100 off simply by asking for a better deal. Also, I found the on-line price varied from day to day. Watch the website and wait for a price drop. Keep in mind the price will go back up quickly. The Landice brand treadmill is excellent, but very costly compared to the Sole brand. If I were buying a treadmill today, I'd buy Sole because the quality is pretty good for the price. I've owned a cheaper brand of treadmill and it was junk. You definitely want quality machines. "The sweetness of cheapness is soon forgot!"
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

dkdoy wrote:I have a Sole treadmill and have been very happy with it. I bought it from Amazon and was pleased with them also.
+1

We have a Sole and it's excellent. We got a very, very good deal at Sears, so I would keep Sears in mind for this. We opened a Sears card and saved an additional %, plus there was some kind of other promotion involving points or somesuch, and we were able to use the points we accumulated with the treadmill purchase to buy a tool, or some other thing we were going to spend money on anyway.

Also, for some ridiculously low price, like $10, Sears actually hauled away and disposed of our old, worn out, dead treadmill (although this was combined with delivery, which we paid something like $99 for).

Regarding the Sole treadmill, it is excellent. It is sturdy and well-built in all the ways most of the "home use" models are not. It isn't as fancy as some of the other brands, but it runs like a dream. I would pay for as few "extra" treadmill features as possible and instead focus on spending my treadmill bucks on one that's constructed better. Hooking your treadmill up to the internet or seeing street scenes of Paris while you run, or whatever other fancy stuff you can get just seems like a waste of money to me, but YMMV. One feature I actually do like about our Sole is that it has built in speakers that are pretty good-you put a line into them from an iPod or from a TV or something and it works out pretty nicely.

I've also done the craigslist route (in our case, the New Zealand equivalent of ebay) and that worked out well, too, but it's just more of a crapshoot because you don't really know what you're getting yourself into as far as how well the previous owners have maintained the treadmill. Also you have to pick it up yourself, move it into your house yourself, etc. This is possible, and I have done it, but it can be really inconvenient and maybe a dealbreaker.

I have been a runner who has done extensive treadmill running in the last 14 years. In this time we've owned three treadmills--one we owned for 6 years and sold before we moved overseas and it was still running well when we got rid of it. We bought a used one overseas, moved it back to the states with us, and it lasted for almost 6 years after we bought it. We've had the latest iteration (the Sole) for a year now and it's the vastly superior machine.

One last thing about buying from Sears: this is one case where I think it's good value to get the add on warranty (which can then be extended). We use the warranty to, at a minimum, call a repairman out once a year for free to do routine maintenance, like replace the belt, make sure the belt is running evenly, replace worn motor parts, etc.