TV recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vv19

TV recommendation

Post by vv19 »

Looking to buy a new LCD/LED TV and was wondering if you guys have any good recommendations. I am thinking 32 inch would do the trick for me, I don't know if anything bigger than that is really needed? Will use it to stream netflix and watch movies via dvd.

Thanks!
pochax

Re: TV recommendation

Post by pochax »

if you want a "budget/value" TV then Vizio is a decent brand. But if you are willing to spring for a little more, Samsung and Sony make some very nice TVs. For 32" size i don't think you'll see a huge upgrade in picture quality unless you are a videophile. Once you get 46"+ then i think the quality difference may be worth the extra money. btw, i'm not a videophile but i watch/stream movies, youtube, and play video games on my TV so i would consider myself a slightly-techy consumer.
jonbois

Post by jonbois »

Try a vizio E320i-A0, $298 at walmart..internet ready..great reviews

JB
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

I second the recommendation of Vizio as a budget choice. We have a 55" Vizio that has built in WIFI. We can stream Netflix and Amazon Instant directly to the tv with no extra devices. My wife was skeptical that we "needed" a 55", but it didn't take long for her to appreciate the bigger tv compared to our previous (also Vizio) 37".

So, I would just say to be aware that you can get a WIFI enabled tv (if you have a WIFI network in your house) so that you can consider it as an option. You can also get internet enabled tvs that connect via a standard network cable, in the case that you don't have WIFI.

If you watch a lot of DVDs, you might consider a WIFI/internet capable DVD player. That way you don't need internet on the tv for streaming.

Finally, for streaming, a lot of people like Roku. It is WIFI/internet capable and enables you to stream.

There are just so many options!
midareff

Post by midareff »

jay22 wrote:Looking to buy a new LCD/LED TV and was wondering if you guys have any good recommendations. I am thinking 32 inch would do the trick for me, I don't know if anything bigger than that is really needed? Will use it to stream netflix and watch movies via dvd.

Thanks!
Don't know if this will help you or not...... I retired a year ago and decided it was time to upgrade the 42" Sony rear projector that had woken me to Joe Kernan and CNBC M-F @ 6 AM for the last 17 or 18 years with one minor repair, and the 40" plasma Panasonic in the living room I've had for maybe 10 years, that I though was a bit too small to see from the dining room area. Both already had full home theater setups. I purchased 2, 55" Samsung LED, HD, 3D flat panels. A 7500 series for the living room and an 8000 series for the bedroom. I had to upgrade the cable boxes to HD, and I stream Netflix direct to the TVs via Wi-Fi. I love them, unbelievable resolution, yup, those are white heads on those zits, but they were expensive, but then again at between 10 to 17 years, which I keep TVs, I saw it as a one time cost.
Topic Author
vv19

Post by vv19 »

Hmmm, sounds like 32 inch would be a bit small for me then. I guess I'll go to best buy today and explore some more.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I've been happy with various Samsung HDTVs I've bought over past several years but it's been a while so the model numbers are outdated.
I will say that 32" is small for general purpose use but OK for certain kitchens or limited space situations...
pochax

Post by pochax »

the mantra with TV size is "once you go big, you can never go back!". in 2004 we bought a 42" plasma..looked huge in our 1BR apt. i now sit ~8' away from a 50" in our family room and it seems just ok/maybe mildly small. i am thinking of going 60" next time around. :)
mikep

Post by mikep »

I suggest to avoid vizio, had two bad experiences with 47" LCD. A year and 4 days later, a thin black line appeared on the screen. Warranty was expired but they honored it anyway. Then the replacement had a row of red dots a year and 362 days later. Used extended warranty from mastercard (for free since I used mastercard) to get refunded original purchase price and bought a Samsung LED instead, 3 days before it expired. Guess I was lucky with the timing.

If you buy a vizio..buyer beware and use a credit card with a good extended warranty. Really saved me that time almost $900.
SHL

Post by SHL »

Sharp Aquos TVs are really good.
Stephen
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

I have an 80's model Curtis Mathis television set that I can highly recommend. It still works, and it is too heavy for a thief to steal.

Beyond that (or rather because of that), I have recently looked into televisions. The understanding that I have is that Visio is going to show the same picture as higher end televisions, but it is a 3 year tv. Panasonic/Sony cost more but last longer. No one had a television from LG, so I cannot report that.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

My favorites are by Samsung.... I own three, 32", and two 40". Great TV's at good price.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Dulocracy wrote:I have an 80's model Curtis Mathis television set that I can highly recommend. It still works, and it is too heavy for a thief to steal.

Beyond that (or rather because of that), I have recently looked into televisions. The understanding that I have is that Visio is going to show the same picture as higher end televisions, but it is a 3 year tv. Panasonic/Sony cost more but last longer. No one had a television from LG, so I cannot report that.
You might take your understanding out for a few in store looks ... some are ho hum, some are breath taking. You do get what you pay for to a large extent.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Go big or go home. You definitely need at least a 65" Samsung 240 Hz, 1080p, Smart 3D. If your room is larger, get the even bigger one.

No pixelation during March Madness! You can call the game better than the refs! Trey Burke's block on Peyton Siva was ABSOLUTELY CLEAN!

This TV might be too big for your bathroom where a 32" might be OK.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
StrayTheHorse

Post by StrayTheHorse »

Don't go cheap on the size... However, I don't think its important to get the best brand with the most optimal features. Watch www.cnet.com under the deals tab... they scan the internet and post the best deals there. You can pick up a 55" Vizio for around $700-800, delivery included, if you are patient. I personally would not recommend anyone get anything smaller than 47" unless you have a specific reason to go small.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Okay, but what if you have a small viewing area, like in a cramped one-room apartment.
Gordon
pochax

Post by pochax »

gkaplan wrote:Okay, but what if you have a small viewing area, like in a cramped one-room apartment.
if at least one wall is 47" across, it'll fit ;)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

gkaplan wrote:Okay, but what if you have a small viewing area, like in a cramped one-room apartment.
Then just wall-mount your 50" HDTV with an articulated arm mount so it can be turned for viewing from different places.
And use duct tape to attach the Set Top Box on top of it securely...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Average house has more than one TV.
Although most folks have already upgraded by now, one approach is to buy a reasonably sized HDTV to start with, 42" say.
Then 3 or 4 years later, buy another bigger one, 50" or bigger, and move the first one into a smaller room.
Repeat the process until all old-style TVs have been replaced and you have a monster set in your primary viewing room...
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I've been very happy with

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH400 ... PDKIKX0DER

$278 as I right this. Bought this on Black Friday for $225 and has an amazingly crisp display and very easy-to-use interface. But keep in mind it's no-frills, as in, no Internet on the TV capabilities built-in. It's an LED too and has VERY low electric usage. When I have all the lights on in the bedroom, the lights are using more electricity than the TV.
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Weve had a couple 40" Samsungs for several years and I like them. I think going too downstream to save a few bucks on a tv that you'll have for several years is a mistake.
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

Try and properly gauge the optimal screen size for your viewing distance. E.g. http://us.toshiba.com/tv/research-cente ... -distance/
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man is in a similar situation.

The Munchkin Man lives in a cramped studio apartment.

The Munchkin Man is also in the market for a new TV.

The Munchkin Man talked about buying a new TV about two years ago.

The Munchkin Man never got around to it.

The Munchkin Man decided to continue saving money instead.

The Munchkin Man has grown accustomed to living without a TV.

But nevertheless...............

The Munchkin Man would like to buy a new TV by the end of the year.

The Munchkin Man does have a TV stand.

It measures 31 inches in length.

The Munchkin Man's TV stand is situated up against a small wall space that only barely measures 36 inches across.

This is the only space in the Munchkin Man's studio apartment where the TV stand will fit.

Based upon the dimensions the Munchkin Man has cited, the Munchkin Man cannot see buying a new TV that is larger than 32 to 36 inches at this time.

If and when the Munchkin Man ever moves to a larger apartment, then the Munchkin Man should be able to accommodate a larger TV.

The Munchkin Man would welcome your comments and feedback on the above.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

The Munchkin Man would like to apologize to the original poster of this topic thread.

It was not the Munchkin Man's intent to try to hijack this topic thread.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

If you have a definite space constraint, as MM does, then go to amazon.com for simplicity.
Take a look at the 39 inch (diagonal) Visio and Samsung, both around 35" actual width.
Determine if either of those will fit or not.
Read through the dozens of reviews on each model; even regular people are helpful when it comes to TVs, Boglehead expertise isn't critical...
Toons

Post by Toons »

Vizio or step it up a notch,Samsung, :happy from Walmart,I like the 15 day return policy on electronics if not satisfied
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
donnygulledge

Post by donnygulledge »

After receiving some excellent customer service from Samsung, I will continue to support their products. I own a 40" lcd tv and 2 20" lcd computer monitors. When it's time to upgrade/replace them, I'm going to Samsung.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I just bought a 50" Panasonic VIERA Plasma HDTV about a month ago. So far I am very happy with it.
I have it in a small room. I thought it would be too big for the room, but that turned out not to be a problem.
Best Wishes, | Joe
norookie

Post by norookie »

Toons wrote:Vizio or step it up a notch,Samsung, :happy from Walmart,I like the 15 day return policy on electronics if not satisfied
:? I'd check that warranty info, Walmart in BOS is 90 days w/receipt.
Last edited by norookie on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
mike143

Post by mike143 »

jay22 wrote:Hmmm, sounds like 32 inch would be a bit small for me then. I guess I'll go to best buy today and explore some more.
Worst thing you could do, going to Best Buy. Measure your distance and pick the appropriate size from many online guides, then shop online. I can appreciate a high end TV but I currently have the $300 46" Westinghouse from two Black Fridays ago. In the store you will notice a difference between sets but you will only be looking at one in your home. It is not uncommon for display stores to setup/configure lower end TVs to look worse than their high margin sets.

Some current deals:
http://www.fatwallet.com/Amazon-coupons ... -led-hdtv/
http://www.fatwallet.com/Tiger-Direct-c ... -led-hdtv/

slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com are good places to look for deals.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

I also got the Panasonic Viera Plasma about 3 years ago and the picture is very good and I haven't had any problems with it. Good price when I got it. I will say that it gets pretty warm so it probably uses a good amount of energy.

OP, I just got the 39 inch Toshiba LCD LED tv for my bedroom. Looks great and very stylish. My wife though it would be too big since our Samsung 40 inch looked a little bigh. However, the "frame" of the tv ends pretty much right at 39 inches so it doesn't look all that big. And the best thing was the price, $299 at best buy was tough to beat.
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

To further the point about in-store displays - they typically set TVs to obnoxiously high brightnesses to deal with the bright overhead lights. This makes plasmas tend to look worse than LCDs, and it means that the in-store experience won't come close to telling you anything about how a TV will look in a normally lit room. There is little advantage to shopping in-store for TVs, in my opinion.
modal

Post by modal »

My mother-in-law ordered a Sceptre 40" 1080p from Walmart.com for around ~$250.

If you're not a videophile/audiophile/brandphile, it is a good tv.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

MN Finance wrote:Weve had a couple 40" Samsungs for several years and I like them. I think going too downstream to save a few bucks on a tv that you'll have for several years is a mistake.
We're very pleased with our higher end 40" Samsung. The quality of the picture is better than most other brands I've seen when watching HD and Blu-ray video. Not only is it extremely sharp and clear but the blacks are truly black. Highly recommended.

FYI...I learned through the process of purchasing ours that Best Buy has their own proprietary models. I was able to purchase a better quality set for a bit less on Amazon but discerning the differences ahead of time was next to impossible. I ended up taking advantage of Best Buy's return policy once I figured it out.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

You can't really go wrong with Samsung picture-wise. Panasonic makes a great plasma, although I thought the difference in picture between their base model and the next step up was significant. Sony's pretty close.

I bought one through Amazon, they have it specially delivered. Get the biggest you can afford that doesn't look outrageous where you plan to put it. It also depends on how close you are going to sit.

Good luck,

JT