[Visiting] Oahu

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rogers-SNK

[Visiting] Oahu

Post by rogers-SNK »

Anyone have any pointers on going to Oahu, will be there for a week.

Some items:
1. Best way to see Pearl Harbor.
2. Good places to eat?
3. Zoo/Aquarimum worth it?
4. Interesting hikes?
5. Other things to see/do?
Hikes_With_Dogs

Re: Oahu

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs »

Perhaps this is not what you wanted, but my recommendation for anyone going to ANY island in Hawaii is to buy the corresponding Revealed book:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... _OU01_.jpg

(not affiliated)

The best hike is Diamond Head. And Manoa falls is short and sweet if you'd like to see a waterfall.

I snorkled in Hanauma Bay. It's beautiful.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I lived on Oahu for a few years.

1. Tickets to see the USS ARIZONA are free, but you really have to get there before 9 AM or they will "sell out." The tickets have a designated time, so you may have to come back later in the day after acquiring the tickets.
2. Expensive (Roy's, Alan Wong's both in Honolulu), Mid-priced (Duke's in Honolulu), cheaper (Haleiwa Eats Thai on North Shore, Kona Brew Pub in Hawai'i Kai). If you can only go one place, go to the Roy's in Waikiki.
3. I never went to the zoo or the aquarium.
4. Challenging hike (Koko Head), Mid level (Diamond Head, Kaina Point), Easy (Makapu Light House)
5. Scuba Diving, try to hit a beach on the North Shore (recommend Waimea Bay- go on a weekday), Lanikai Beach, Ko Olina Resort area, Parasailing, Waikiki

Assuming you are staying in Honolulu/Waikiki- Rent a car for at least two days. Plan to stay a full day on the North Shore (go to Haleiwa Eats Thai and Matsumoto's for Shave Ice). Drive up there through the center of the island and come home on the eastern side. You could spend another day in the Kailua/Lanikai area. If you are active, rent a kayak in Kailua and paddle out to the Moks (two mini islands across from Lanikai Beach). Try not to drive during rush hour- traffic gets bad. Enjoy the island- it's an amazing place.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

If you drive a rental car to do those hikes (like I did) be sure to leave the car unlocked and possibly with the windows down.
And watch out for piles of broken glass where folks didn't do this...
Attempted new signature...
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

The Wizard wrote:If you drive a rental car to do those hikes (like I did) be sure to leave the car unlocked and possibly with the windows down.
And watch out for piles of broken glass where folks didn't do this...
I've lived here on Oahu for about 5 years, and I have never seen someone leave their windows down or heard of anyone purposely leaving their doors unlocked. Petty theft is one of the biggest crimes here in the islands. Don't leave anything visible in your car, and don't think that putting everything into the trunk as soon as you get to the parking lot is a good idea either, because someone may be watching. I am parked at trailheads and beaches every weekend, and the only times I've heard/seen people have their cars broken into is when they left their purse or backpack on a seat.

Concur with the "Revealed" books for the islands and the other comment by Dodger.

I would also like to point out that smoking was just recently banned on most of the beaches around Waikiki (Bill 72, signed out yesterday -- $100 fine for smoking), the speed limits on the islands are much slower than on the mainland (35mph in many places), and the UV radiation here is much stronger than anything you're used to on the mainland -- wear sunblock and reapply often.
SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander »

Polynesian Culture Center is worth the drive out to Laie. If you want a beach getaway far from the city, then Turtle Bay around the North Shore is a good option. Waikiki has all the shopping and tourist trap stuff if that's what you're into. For Pearl Harbor, the Arizona memorial and museum is interesting. As is the USS Missouri. Hanauma bay is a popular snorkeling spot, though a little too touristy for my taste. For shopping, the Aloha Tower & marketplace, along with the Ala Moana mall should keep you busy. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. Oahu has it all: resorts, nightlife, shopping, entertainment, fine dining, tourist traps, etc. Try a luau if you haven't done one before. Germaine's is popular.
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.
Balance

Post by Balance »

rogers-SNK wrote:Anyone have any pointers on going to Oahu, will be there for a week.

Some items:
2. Good places to eat?
4. Interesting hikes?

1) I have only been to Pearl Harbor once and went with a tour group. If I was to go again I would probably just drive. But I feel for a first timer its good to go with a tour so that you will get a lot of the history and background information on the construction and new improvements.

2) Eating places are my specialty in Oahu. We normally see a majority of the tourists hanging out right on the strip in huge lines at places like The Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Yardhouse, Denny's, Outback and IHOP. But you can obviously get all this back on mainland USA. I would suggest to avoid the lines and check out the local favorites where more locals rave about.
Side Street Inn - Two locations with the original one by Ala Moana shopping mall. It is located in a shady looking alley but the food is absolutely amazing. It is regularly open until 2am each night. The restaurant was popular for feeding a lot of Honolulu's famous chefs after their shifts were over. Anthony Bourdain went there during the filming of his show No Reservations. I highly recommend their famous pork chops. The food is a blend of Hawaiian/Asian favorites. The portions are huge and are served family style. It is very casual and also serves as a sports bar. We have probably eaten there about 5 times and we always walked there to avoid parking. You can easily take a bus to Ala Moana mall and walk there.
Young's Fish Market or Ono's Hawaiian Food - Both of these places are local favorites. They are not ritzy looking but the food is amazing. They both serve traditional Hawaiian food. Their specialty is Lau-Lau plates which are served with Poi and purple sweet potatoes. If you want to eat traditional Hawaiian food around Waikiki try these places out.
Nico's by the Pier - Nico's is a great place for dinner or lunch. It is right on the pier and its completely open air. They have great food at a decent price. Whenever we went for dinner they had live music.
Ala Moana food court - If you are looking for a quick bite to eat with a lot of options for you and the family I would suggest the food court at this mall. There is a huge spectrum of different foods from many regions around the world. The prices are very decent compared to food on the strip and it is unlike other food courts around the US. This food court does not have the usual fast food favorites that you see around most shopping malls.
Fresh Catch - This place is not in Waikiki so if you don't have a rental car it will be hard to get to. The owner is a young guy and he personally catches the fish he serves on a daily basis. This restaurant was featured on Guy Fieri's Diner's Dives and Drive-ins.
Food/Shrimp Trucks - We liked getting food from the food trucks or buying sushi and bringing it to Sunset Beach on the North Shore while watching all the pro and local surfers.

3) We liked the Aquarium. If you or any family member has a school ID they get a discount. It was cool seeing all the different schools of fish and learning about them. In the big fish tank there are huge tuna's as well as a few sharks which are all native to Hawaii. The best part of the Aquarium is the large outdoor pool with the Monk Seals. They are so social and if you wait long enough they will do tricks for you and show off :)

4) We did Diamond's head to hike. It was a nice hike but it gets packed. Towards the top you enter a cave that is very dim and hard to see. I kept hitting my head on the rocks and I am of average height. The view at the top is breathtaking and totally worth it.

5) When we go to Oahu we usually stay away from most of the touristy spots. But if you haven't done it I would snorkel at Hunauma Bay. You can take the tour bus there but in my opinion you can save money and time if you take the bus there on your own. I believe it is $2.50 to go there by bus and a lot of other people get there the same way. We liked to walk everywhere and hang out on the beaches. We did a lot of paddle boarding which is nice because we were able to see a few sea turtles on the way. On Friday nights the Hilton Hawaiian Village does a free fire works show which lasts about 15-20 minutes. I suggest to get there early. Oh another great place to visit is Kailua. You can rent kayaks/snorkel/paddle gear and enjoy guided water tours or go on your own. The beaches near Kailua/Sandy Beach are known as the best beaches on Oahu because of the sand (Many of the other beaches are rocky and have coral reef near). The one problem with Kailua is it tends to get windy which is the reason a lot of parasailers are there. We hope you have a blast!
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Just be prepared to suffer through the world's most expensive traffic jam/
hansmatt

Post by hansmatt »

You can now make Arizona reservations online...very worthwhile and easy... also get the audio tour headsets for the museum, that really was worthwhile even for our 10 and 13 year old kids.

We did a wild dolphin excursion...they dump you off of a speedboat with mask snorkel, and the spinner dolphins swim right by & check you out...excellent!
awval999

Post by awval999 »

If you like beer/brewpubs----
Kona Brewing Company
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

I very much enjoyed the tour of Iolani Palace. The Hawaiian history was fascinating. Our tour guide was an older Hawaiian woman - she said she was 78 (I think) but she was awfully spry for that age.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

For something different, try Leonard's for malasadas, a type of doughnut that comes unfilled or filled with different creams, and we get them every time we go.

The shrimp trucks are good, very downscale. And if you want to see a lot of sea turtles, go to Turtle Beach (not Turtle Bay), it's a short distance from turning onto North Shore Highway from Highway 99 (if you use Google maps, it's just south of the 'Save the Sea Turtles International'). You're not allowed to pet them but it's cool to swim near them.

Ko Olina used to be a safe, calm way to snorkel if you have young kids but I heard Marriott/Disney recently closed off the lagoons to the public. I'd check because we made that a regular stop as well.

I miss being there, we couldn't get away this winter/spring.... :(
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

cherijoh wrote:I very much enjoyed the tour of Iolani Palace. The Hawaiian history was fascinating. Our tour guide was an older Hawaiian woman - she said she was 78 (I think) but she was awfully spry for that age.
+1 on touring the palace, it's very approachable and interesting history. It doesn't take a long time either.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Deleted
Last edited by Bmac on Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

If you want to go snorkeling for free away from lots of tourists, check out Electric Beach on the west side. It doesn't have much of a beach or the scenery of Hanauma Bay, but there's no crowds and the sea life is great.

If you're into really intense, short hikes, check out Olomana. You get an amazing 360 view of the windward side at the first peak, and if you're really adventurous you can go to the second and third peaks. Stairway to Heaven is also popular though technically closed to the public. I did it a couple times and you probably have to be on the trail at least 30 minutes before sunrise to ensure the guard won't stop you.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

I wouldn't go to hawaii to see the aquarium/zoo. They have those everywhere.
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

Ketawa wrote:If you want to go snorkeling for free away from lots of tourists, check out Electric Beach on the west side. It doesn't have much of a beach or the scenery of Hanauma Bay, but there's no crowds and the sea life is great.

If you're into really intense, short hikes, check out Olomana. You get an amazing 360 view of the windward side at the first peak, and if you're really adventurous you can go to the second and third peaks. Stairway to Heaven is also popular though technically closed to the public. I did it a couple times and you probably have to be on the trail at least 30 minutes before sunrise to ensure the guard won't stop you.
The Guard at Ha'iku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) gets there around 3-4am these days. You want to be ascending before 3am if you want to avoid him. This isn't a trail that is recommended for everyone. Climbing up steep stairs in the darkness at 3am, only to get to the top at 4am, then wait ~2 hours for the sunrise (it's cold up there at ~3000ft with heavy tradewinds blowing, even inside the bunkers/radio towers) isn't my ideal hike. And there's often a bit of cloudcover at the top of the Ko'olaus.

Olomana is also a trail not recommended for everyone. It's legitimately dangerous in certain parts, and every few years even experienced hikers die on the trail from falling off. It's one of my favorite quick windward hikes, but I also see way too many people get near the top and start freaking out. Maunawili Falls is right next door and is a much more family-friendly hike (and has jumpoff spots into the freshwater pool at ~5ft, ~30ft, and ~40ft if you want some excitement. Maunawili is a 45-60 minute roundtrip walk.

My opinion on hiking on Oahu: these aren't mainland-safe trails. Maybe it's because there are a lot of trails here in the islands, there are people (usually tourists/visitors) airlifted out of a trail almost every week because they aren't prepared for a hike (novice hiker on a tough trail is usually the cause).
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

willardx wrote:
Ko Olina used to be a safe, calm way to snorkel if you have young kids but I heard Marriott/Disney recently closed off the lagoons to the public. I'd check because we made that a regular stop as well.
Ko'olina is still open to the public. Per Hawaii State Law, all beaches are public, and there is a requirement to have public beach accesses every so often. "Beach" is defined as the rocky/sandy area on the shoreline from the water to where the natural vegetation starts.

Marriott/Disnet/Ko'olina have made it more difficult to get to the beaches by severely limiting parking in the area though. Read the signs if you try to park on the mauka (mountain) side of the traintracks, because they'll have a guard in a golf cart either come and warn you, or just have you towed if you park in a spot over there. I've been out to Ko'olina a few times and everyone has been rather friendly there (including the security guard explaining where I could and couldn't park).

They did just have a sewage spill in Ko'olina last week =\ I think two of the three lagoons are closed for a little while now until the cleanup is complete.
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

Rainier wrote:I wouldn't go to hawaii to see the aquarium/zoo. They have those everywhere.
Although I am a huge fan of zoos, I have to agree with Rainier. I went for the first time a few months ago and it wasn't anything special unfortunately. It still is rather cheap though and a good diversion for 3-4 hours if you get tired of the mayhem in Waikiki though.

I still haven't been to the aquarium, but they do have an exhibit or two that I would like to see. Per the Waikiki Aquarium website: http://www.waquarium.org/aquarium-exhibits.html
"The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Exhibit. The largest single area dedicated to conservation in the United States, and one of the largest in the world, the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument is home to over 7,000 marine species, a quarter of which are found nowhere else on Earth. Offering visitors a nearly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see some of these fishes and corals in their natural habitats, the Waikiki Aquarium’s new Northwestern Hawaiian Islands exhibit will feature a living reef ecosystem representative of that found in the world’s most isolated islands.

Among the unique organisms to be featured in the 4,000-gallon public display will be table corals, masked angelfish, yellow barbel goatfish and Japanese pygmy angelfish. These species are abundant around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, but are extremely rare or absent around the Main Hawaiian Islands. Interactive touch screens associated with the exhibit will provide additional information on the significance of the islands, their ecology and biodiversity, and the importance of preserving this almost pristine marine ecosystem for future generations. "

The aquarium is a very short walk from Waikiki too.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I left Hawaii two years ago, it sounds like the authorities have cracked down on Stairway to Heaven. I withdraw my recommendation for that one, probably only best for locals who really want to do it and not a good way to spend a vacation. Regarding Olomana, OP wasn't very specific on what he's looking for. Your points are well noted although I'd add that dozens of people hike Olomana every day without any issues. It is very intense. Maunawili Falls is a great quick hike.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

Cunobelinus wrote:
willardx wrote:
Ko'olina is still open to the public. Per Hawaii State Law, all beaches are public, and there is a requirement to have public beach accesses every so often. "Beach" is defined as the rocky/sandy area on the shoreline from the water to where the natural vegetation starts.

Marriott/Disnet/Ko'olina have made it more difficult to get to the beaches by severely limiting parking in the area though. Read the signs if you try to park on the mauka (mountain) side of the traintracks, because they'll have a guard in a golf cart either come and warn you, or just have you towed if you park in a spot over there. I've been out to Ko'olina a few times and everyone has been rather friendly there (including the security guard explaining where I could and couldn't park).

They did just have a sewage spill in Ko'olina last week =\ I think two of the three lagoons are closed for a little while now until the cleanup is complete.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I read some reviews on Yelp that it was closed to the public, but we have dealt with the limited parking before so that's not a deterrent to us. Although now, our kids are getting older and may want to learn how to surf! :?
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

Still not sure exactly where you're staying, but if you're out west towards Ko'olina, I don't know of many surf spots there. White Plains is probably the easiest, closest place. I don't know if you can rent boards there (military rentals are available on the beach through MWR).

If you're staying in town (Waikiki), then you can rent longboards for ~$10/hour ($30-$40 per day?) and for a little more, you'll get a 1 hour surf lesson. Can definitely increase the fun factor if you take a lesson, unless you skateboard or snowboard very well.
Topic Author
rogers-SNK

Post by rogers-SNK »

We are staying in Waikiki due to a conference we have there. Thanks for all the input and replies so far.
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

The best place to take a surf lesson is right there at waikiki. There are a number of stands right behind the statue of the Duke where you can sign up and they are reasonably priced. If you are coordinated in the least, one of those beachboys will guaranteed have you up and surfing. When I used to have guests, I'd let the beachboys teach them while I sat on my board and shot photos on them. First wave is a thrill of a lifetime.

Duke's (the restaurant) is a good place on waikiki to drink, dine, and watch the surf and sunset. Skip the wait for a table with full dinner service and instead walk right into the bar section and try to find an empty table and order off the bar menu like the locals do.

The Diamond Head hike is hot, dusty, steep, and crowded. The view at the top is amazing but may not be worth it. I recommend Makapuu lighthouse hike instead. If you've got the energy, you can do Makapuu and Hanauma on same day and enjoy the beautiful drive between them (stop to check out the blowhole). Yes some of the more natural hikes are challenging and dangerous. But I did a lot of them on mountain bike for years so to each their own. Just be aware of your limitations.

I think Hanauma bay is the best place to snorkel for a visitor. Easy access, safe, and lots of fish. Someone recommended north shore (waimea) for scuba but I would be very careful about that. Check in with a life guard at any beach that's not waikiki. If no lifeguard around, watch the surf for a good 20-30 minutes before going in (you're waiting for a wave set to come in to gauge its size), or just find another beach with lifeguards. There are still occasional late winter swells on the north shore and early summer swells on the south side (and both on west side). It can seem calm and then next thing you know a large wave is crashing on you and taking you out to sea. Tourists drown in Hawaii all the time.

Enjoy. I lived there for over 10 years and it's been almost 2 years since I moved to FL. I still dream I'm back there almost every night and waking up to the disappointment of not being there is how I start almost every day.
Cunobelinus

Re: [Visiting] Oahu

Post by Cunobelinus »

Waikiki..
rogers-SNK wrote:Anyone have any pointers on going to Oahu, will be there for a week.

Some items:
2. Good places to eat?
4. Interesting hikes?
Note: "pupus" is the term for appetizers/starters

2. Good places to eat, just here in Waikiki:
Pupus: Top of Waikiki (2270 Kalakaua Ave) has some pretty nice views (rotating restaurant) and a happy hour right around sunset (5-7pm, and then again 9-11pm). The menu changes every once in a while, but you can get some good, but small, pupus (starters/appetizers) for a reasonable price at the bar. Current menu here: http://happyhourhawaii.com/profile.php?id=99

Dinner/pupus/dessert: Shokudo (1585 Kapiolani Blvd) is just outside of Ala Moana mall, and has some fantastic modern and traditional Japanese food. They're best known for their honey toast dessert though. It's thick toast with caramel (or other flavors) and ice cream. May not sound appealing, but it's pretty great. They have some unique drinks there too.

Dinner: Chiba-ken (468 Ena Rd) is right at the west end of Waikiki and has very good Japanese food. I'm also partial to it because it's very close to me. I normally get sushi here (caterpillar sushi is awesome).

Dinner: Duke's (2335 Kalakaua Ave) A staple of Waikiki.

Dinner: Roy's (226 Lewers St). High quality food. A bit upscale (at least, for me).

Dinner (lunch too?): Fat Greek Waikiki (1831 Ala Moana Boulevard). I'm not a Greek food connoisseur; however, I have always enjoyed their food here.

Breakfast: there are two Eggs'n'Things locations in Waikiki, basically on both sides, located on (or very close to) Kalakaua ave (343 Saratoga Rd or 2464 Kalakaua Ave -- the newer one) For some reason, the Japanese tourists flock to these two restaurants. They serve breakfast all day (and not just eggs) and there's usually a long queue of Japanese folk outside.

Breakfast: Cream Pot (444 Niu St). I don't know how to explain this place, other than that it feels like it's very fancy food. Small portions (that are always filling), a quaint, unassuming location (corner of Niu St. and Ala Wai), and a very nice atmosphere. It always seems like the food takes too long, but then about a minute later it shows up and it's awesome.

There are grocery stores (in the strictest sense) called Food Pantry in Waikiki, but anything that isn't on sale is incredibly expensive. A box of Nature Valley granola bars (6 count) will run you $6 or $7. Best bet is to get outside of Waikiki (there's a Safeway on Kapahulu). If you're heading to a Safeway or a Foodland (locally-owned grocery chain), try the poke (pronounced po-kay).

I've lived in Waikiki for a few years now, and these are the places that I bring friends to who are visiting (just the Waikiki area). If you're renting a car, I can recommend some other places to eat too. Kona Brewing Company in Hawaii Kai is definitely on the list, as is Side Street Inn (by Ala Moana), and Fumi's shrimp truck (Kahuku/North Shore) happens to be my favorite shrimp truck.

5. Bellows Air Force Base has a civilian side and a military side. The beaches there are pretty spectacular. Lanikai (just north of Bellows, but it's a 15-20 minute drive) also has an awesome beach, but it's smaller and a bit more crowded. Kailua beach is huge and is quite nice too.

Ala Moana beach park is a short walk from Waikiki, and I think that's a much better beach. It's not commercialized there and there aren't any waves, but it's generally a lot quieter and less crowded.. except in the grassy areas where there's always 20 family parties going on.

It's becoming summer time, so the huge swells on the north shore aren't lighting off so much, but respect the ocean here in Hawaii. Waves at Yokohama (west side) and Waimea (north shore) are deceptively strong. Sandy's Beach (east side) has one of the highest rates of neck/spinal injuries because of a powerful shorebreak. My rule of thumb is that if there aren't any white people (or very pale Japanese people) in the water at the beach, it's probably not okay for me to go in. I'm white, comfortable in the water, a good swimmer, and I've lived here for 5 years; but I didn't grow up at these beaches with the strong waves. Some of the little local kids are a lot bolder than me in the water (5 year old kids :shock: it's like the little kids that rocket down the mountain on snowboards while I'm just trying not to give myself a concussion from all of the falls).

I think someone pointed out that the Hilton Hawaiian in Waikiki has fireworks every night around 7:30-7:45pm. Lots of people just camp out on the beach behind the Hilton Hawaiian and Hale Koa to watch the fireworks. It's nice if you can get a seat at Tropics (in the Hilton Hawaiian) an hour or two before the fireworks, or at the Hale Koa Barefoot Bar.

If you're here on the first Friday of the month, Chinatown in downtown Honolulu turns into a small block party after 5 or 6pm.. if you're into that sort of thing.

A shameless plug for my local dive shop: if you'd like to go whale watching, snorkeling, or scuba diving (Discover Scuba Diving too), then Island Divers (http://www.oahuscubadiving.com) is my recommendation. They run a shuttle service into Waikiki too.

Alright.. that's all for now. Apologies for answering your OP piecemeal.
Edited to add Cream Pot address, and Food Pantry title.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Rainier wrote:I wouldn't go to hawaii to see the aquarium/zoo. They have those everywhere.
Agreed. We stopped by the zoo for a bit. You probably have a better aquarium/zoo where you're from; you might as well see the things that are different/better than where you're from.

We liked the Polynesian Cultural Center; easily accessible through a daily bus tour. A bit cheesy and touristy, but nonetheless interesting. Pearl Harbor was great as well, and it's quite easy to spend a full day there. Diamond Head is a good hike, but it's not super easy unless you're really in shape - a lot of stair climbing is involved. The average person can certainly do it, but don't expect a stroll in the park.

Hawaiian cuisine, in general, is not world-famous for good reason, but you should certainly try the local fare. If you're into more upscale restaurants, they have some in Honolulu and I'm sure the many restaurants already suggested will suffice. Definitely give Hawaiian Shave Ice a try, though, with ice cream on the bottom.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Topic Author
rogers-SNK

Post by rogers-SNK »

You guys/gals are awesome, in case no one has told you yet.

Several restaurant reservations now made. I will post them when I get a chance. I think we are going to rent a car for our last 3 or 4 days there, man parking looks like it is crazy expensive ($35 a day). We will probably try and book a Pearl Harbor tour for Friday because it seems the advanced tickets are already sold out and won't have a car to get there that day.

Do you have to have any experince snorkeling or kayaking in the ocean to do it? We are from the midwest and are decent swimmers (lots of lakes) but the ocean is obviously very different. Is it worth while to book a tour to do either, if so recommendations?

If I can get the wife to plan some stuff out I'll try to post a rough schedule of stuff and see what you guys think.
Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 »

[quote]
Some items:
2. Good places to eat?
4. Interesting hikes?
5. Other things to see/do?[/quote]

1. If you know a service member, try and go with them to an Admiral's Tour of Pearl Harbor. This is a more comprehensive boat tour around Ford Island and of the USS Arizona. Contact Pearl Harbor "Admiral's Tour" via Phone (808) 471-9988 for info.

2. As someone already posted, refrain from going to the franchise restaurants like Ruth's Chris or Cheesecake Factory as you can eat there on the mainland. Suggest going where locals go...if in Waikiki, try Side Street Inn, Rainbow Drive Inn...if your tastes are more upscale, try Alan Wong's or Chef Mavro's, or Hy's Steakhouse. If in the North Shore, try the local food trucks...I like Giovanni's Shrimp truck and Matsumoto's shave ice, both in Haleiwa. You can also check out previous episodes of Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives" on Food TV where you can check out Murphy's in Chinatown and Nico's at Pier 38 (one of our faves).

3. My wife went to the zoo with the kids...haven't been there myself so I can't comment on that nor the aquarium. I would suggest snorkeling in Hanauma Bay instead or if in the North Shore, try snorkeling at Shark's Cove.

4. For hikes, it would depend on the level of difficulty you are looking for and probably what time of the year. We like the Diamond Head hike, Koko Crater, Hanauma Bay Ridge trail, and the hike to Manoa Falls is pretty easy but can be slippery and flip flops are not suggested. The hike up to Makapuu Lighthouse isn't bad.

5. For other things to do, you can drive up to Pali Lookout for a majestic view of Kaneohe Bay. You can also drive up Mount Tantalus for a different view of Honolulu. If into military history, you can visit the historic Fort Shafter after Pearl Harbor...visit Kailua Beach and Lanikai Beach on the east side of the island...my wife also liked the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you like golf, various opportunities are available all over the island. Other folks liked Dole Plantation (not a big fan myself). You can spend some time in Ko Olina and check out the fairly new Disney Aulani resort. You can also skydive from the North Shore at Dillingham.

Note that traffic can be quite heavy during the weekday rush hour (more like rush three hours) so time your trips accordingly. Traffic on the North Shore can be heavy on weekends so take that into consideration.
FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell »

The wife & I went 13 years ago. Many points have been already covered, but I don't think anyone's mentioned much on the zoo. They had a beautiful selection of flowers & fauna - the animals were pretty much "typical zoo" but the landscaping really stood out - so if you're interested in that, it's worth checking out (it's also a nice zoo in general).

We did a lot of driving around the island to various parks and snokeling. We rented a convertible, and really enjoyed it (although there were frequent short rains) - was great given the view & climate.

We also did a luau - seeing the dancing and fire handling was cool. We also went to Bishop's Museum - which has a lot of the unique native history (I would have gotten a lot more out of it today, just because I've learned a bit more of history for that region - although I still have no clue why there were 2 or 3 ABC stores on every corner <grin> - that didn't seem to be covered in the history).
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

For homework, you could read James Michener's "Hawaii".
slowandsteadyone

Post by slowandsteadyone »

I took a helicopter tour of the island several years ago. Apparently it was the only way to see the "forbidden falls" since the hiking trails were closed at the time.

I would definitely recommend it. You see pretty much the entire island in an hour including Pearl Harbor.
ilskeptic

Post by ilskeptic »

Snack time: Uncle Woody's BBQ Corn, next to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, on Kamehameha Highway, up towards the North Shore. I like Island Style, but Baja Style is really good too.
scouter

Post by scouter »

Haven't seen it recommended yet, so I'll add-

The Bishop Museum- sort of "the Smithsonian of Hawaii". We spent most of a day here learning about the history and culture of the islands, and it enriched the rest of out trip. There's a nice little cafe there for lunch, too. If you don't have a rental car, you can take a city bus to the museum, but it takes a good 30 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

Also, Dukes at Waikiki for dinner, but I'd recommend walking straight through the restaurant, out the back door, and down a few steps to the tables outside at the edge of the beach sand. You can get seated quicker there, order food from the bar menu, (more limited menu but also less expensive), and if you're lucky, you can have your Mai Tais and dinner while watching surfers and a fabulous sunset.