[Movie Reviews: I need a replacement for Roger Ebert]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RooseveltG

[Movie Reviews: I need a replacement for Roger Ebert]

Post by RooseveltG »

I usually watch movies based on recommendations by Roger Ebert, the New York Times and the Wall St. Journal. I also use Rotten Tomatoes as a "second opinion."

Ebert's star system quantified his opinions. In contrast, I can read reviews in the Journal and sometimes can't tell if it is a good or bad movie.

Are there any other Ebert like sources out there?

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
gatorking

Re: Movie Reviews: Who will replace Roger Ebert?

Post by gatorking »

http://www.npr.org/people/2101621/kenneth-turan
Kenneth Turan, the film critic for NPR and LA Times, had a remembrance of Roger Ebert this morning on NPR. His reviews may be to your liking.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I've been using James Berardinelli's reviews for a long time, probably at least 15 years.
http://www.reelviews.net/movies.php

Overall very reliable and Ebert-like.

His main weaknesses IMO are a bit over-fondness for movies based on comic books, and he does not seem to review many foreign flix (other than major releases).
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I don't watch too many current movies. When I do watch one, I usually see what the critics are saying on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com
It gives me quick access to a variety of critics.
Best Wishes, | Joe
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

I use Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base), but do not generally watch current movies. IMDB is also good for reviews of the premium cable shows which I watch a lot of on DVDs from the library.

I used to read Roger's reviews on the Chicago Sun Times.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
BertB

Post by BertB »

I will miss Roger Ebert's spirited reviews.

Besides the above mentioned Rotten Tomatoes, I use the Critic Reviews list on Metacritic.

example:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/a-royal ... ic-reviews
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

This thread is off-topic and does not belong on this forum. It's locked.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Movie Reviews: I need a replacement for Roger Ebert]

Post by LadyGeek »

After further review (and a PM to the moderators), I retitled this thread to be actionable. The thread is reopened.

Please bear in mind that general comments in reference to Roger Ebert will cause the thread to be relocked, as was done here: Roger Ebert, RIP
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I know some folks who like this one.

http://www.metacritic.com
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

I browse Movie Review Query Engine and imdb, but then I preferred Siskel to Ebert.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I am thinking about going to see "12 Years a Slave" but I try to avoid movies with lots of intense graphic violence, torture and stuff like that. Just how much brutality
do they show in "12 years a slave"?

I almost avoided Schindler's List for this reason, but then went to see it anyway and really liked it.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
denovo

Post by denovo »

tc101 wrote:I am thinking about going to see "12 Years a Slave" but I try to avoid movies with lots of intense graphic violence, torture and stuff like that. Just how much brutality

I almost avoided Schindler's List for this reason, but then went to see it anyway and really liked it.
If you liked the latter, you will like the former.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
chaz

Post by chaz »

Try the New York Times. Good reviews.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

tc101 wrote: but I try to avoid movies with lots of intense graphic violence, torture and stuff like that. Just how much brutality do they show in
You might like this site, which gives a broad 1-10 Violence&Gore score, and also often goes into extreme detail of anything which might offend or hurt anyone.
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

If the other sites people already mentioned don't help, amazon.com reviews for DVDs.

Just googling the title of a film will often get you the rotten tomatoes score on the right side of screen. If you include the word
metacritic
in the search, you can often see the score without having to click on it.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

tc101 wrote:I am thinking about going to see "12 Years a Slave" but I try to avoid movies with lots of intense graphic violence, torture and stuff like that. Just how much brutality

It was more violent than Kubrick's Clockwork Orange which is my standard for violence in cinema.
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

Twelve years a slave is to slavery what Schindler's List was to the Holocost. I don't care if I never see another movie on those subjects since those 2 movies said everything I needed to ever hear or see. I was aware going in that there would be scenes that I would not wish to hear or view, but I felt it was worth enduring ( I closed my eyes and maybe my ears once or twice). Twelve Years a Slave is at the top of my list of best movies and imho should win best picture/best actor/director.