Health = Wealth

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Health = Wealth

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 am

I know from time to time here, nutrition and exercise are discussed, but not in depth since these areas can veer way off topic.

Can anyone recommend to me any respected & productive forums for discussing these issues? Feel free to message me offline, if that makes more sense.

I totally appreciate it.

Thanks, BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Re: Health = Wealth

Postby SPG8 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 am

Since I have nothing of value to contribute financially, I'll jump in here. I think this fits;

1. Can save money if you reduce need to access healthcare
2. Never know what might change;
- UPenn Health System no longer hires smokers
- Samoa Air now charges by weight

So...

Mark's Daily Apple

There's no one-size-fits-all, but...

1. It's not a diet, it's eating differently forever.
2. It encompasses food, fitness, and general health (sleep etc).

People scoff at the Caveman Diet, but;
- you only have to go back to maybe 1970 to significantly decrease the per capita corn consumption, which has increased mostly through processed food (high-fructose corn syrup, corn oil, etc) and corn-based animal feeds
- you only need to go back to maybe 1950 for significantly higher total animal consumption (liver, sweetbreads, bone broths etc)
- you only need to go back to (?) to where all American beef was grass fed (fed and finished)

Stick with Mark's posts though, and don't read the forum, most of the contributors are whack jobs.
SPG8

Postby bungalow10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 am

SPG8 wrote:Since I have nothing of value to contribute financially, I'll jump in here. I think this fits;

1. Can save money if you reduce need to access healthcare
2. Never know what might change;
- UPenn Health System no longer hires smokers
- Samoa Air now charges by weight

So...

Mark's Daily Apple

There's no one-size-fits-all, but...

1. It's not a diet, it's eating differently forever.
2. It encompasses food, fitness, and general health (sleep etc).

People scoff at the Caveman Diet, but;
- you only have to go back to maybe 1970 to significantly decrease the per capita corn consumption, which has increased mostly through processed food (high-fructose corn syrup, corn oil, etc) and corn-based animal feeds
- you only need to go back to maybe 1950 for significantly higher total animal consumption (liver, sweetbreads, bone broths etc)
- you only need to go back to (?) to where all American beef was grass fed (fed and finished)

Stick with Mark's posts though, and don't read the forum, most of the contributors are whack jobs.

That website/blog has some interesting stuff on it, thank you for sharing.

My employer-provided insurance offers a cash incentive for meeting some basic health metrics - waist size, cholesterol, blood glucose, blood pressure, etc.

My husband's employer-provided insurance is waiving our deductibles entirely next year if we both exceed some other health metrics (this is new, not entirely sure what they are all looking for).

Being healthy saves money, the ones above are small, but it can pay off big too. I've always taken care of myself while pregnant and my last delivery was at home (something you can't do if you have gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, or many other things that would make one high-risk), and it cost a fraction of that of a hospital birth - and was a much more enjoyable experience.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby etarini » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:32 am

Barefootgirl wrote:That website/blog has some interesting stuff on it, thank you for sharing.

Paul Jaminet's book Perfect Health Diet and Chris Kresser's website (chriskresser.com) are also aligned with Mark Sisson's approach, but they provide more explanation of the principles. (You can sign up for Chris Kresser's email newsletter to learn more.) It's different enough that my wife and I don't discuss the changes we've made with others, but I think more and more of what they are talking about is working its way into the mainstream health-conscious dietary press, which also tends to criticize the SAD (Standard American Diet). We're not extreme, but we've tried to make some of the more important changes that they stress.

What good is the perfect withdrawal rate if you aren't there to enjoy it? As with investing, we can try to manage the things we can control, and hope for the best on the rest.

Eric
etarini

Postby rayout » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:36 pm

I follow the paleo diet as well, over 40 lbs lost. I did the bodyweight exercise routine from marksdailyapple.com

I enjoy http://robbwolf.com/ for the blog and podcast. However the forums are much less populated than the one on marksdailyapple.com which gets a thumbs up from me too.

reddit.com has subforums that discuss these topics as well and are fairly active:

http://www.reddit.com/r/paleo
http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness
http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
rayout

Postby rdmayo21 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Perfect Health Diet is by far the best diet book I've ever read. The diet is absolutely delicious and the reasoning for the diet's composition makes a lot of sense.
rdmayo21

Postby steve roy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 pm

[Dietary information removed by admin LadyGeek]

I liken health habits to boglehead habits: They're both simple in concept, but more difficult in execution.
steve roy

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Diets and exercise constitute medical advice, which is why this subject is off-topic here. Please stay on-topic and give the OP forum (or blog) recommendations without diving into details (or examples).

Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby jamesdz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:12 am

I am usually the one asking financial questions in the forum, now my first opportunity to make a contribution about something I know from personal experience.
I am 70....when I retired 4 years ago I weighed 235 lbs at a height of 5'8"".
Decided to lose weight & at the same time become certified as a personal trainer via WITS program offered at local community college.
Dropped ~ 60 lbs. in 6-7 months via exercise & measured calorie control; have since coached 5 weight loss support groups at
a local health club with some success. 4 years later, despite a few ups & downs, I still weigh in at 175 lbs.
My formula for weight loss as follows -
[Weight loss formula removed by admin LadyGeek]
Usual caveat....make sure that you MD checks you out prior to beginning the above program to determine if you are healthy enough to participate in the above training program.
No "magic" to weight loss & fitness.....just remember this is a "marathon" not a "sprint" & will require a steady effort.
Wishing Good Luck & Success to All.
jimdz
jamesdz

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Forum Policy

Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues