Do I really need a Smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Do I really need a Smartphone?

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 am

For those interested in the financial aspects of my Google Nexus 4 purchase, here are the details:

Nexus 4 with Bumper (Black, 16GB) ---------- $349.00
Nexus 4 Wired Headset with Microphone ---------- $19.99
Nexus 4 Micro USB Cable ---------- $9.99
Nexus 4 Power Adapter ---------- $15.99
Shipping (1-2 business days): ---------- $13.99
Tax: ---------- $23.70
Total: ---------- $432.66

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby Browser » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Browser wrote:Victoria - if you go the AirVoice route, be sure to order the correct size SIM. If you merely order off their website you have no choice and you'll get a mini-SIM. Most newer phones use a micro-SIM. I got a mini and assumed I had to cut it down to fit a micro slot and that didn't work at all after taking a bunch of time to do it. You actually need to call them to request the micro-SIM. Might save you the hassle I went through. Once they sent a micro-SIM everything worked fine.

Browser,

Thank you for a tip. I was just reading about SIMs. Google Nexus 4 uses a micro-SIM, and Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini uses a regular SIM. In the U.S. a micro-SIM is not a problem, because there are many ways to cut a SIM. But if I take a micro-SIM based device to Europe it may be difficult to find local micro-SIMs. And so I was inclined to choose Samsung and avoid SIM issues all together.

But Nexus is more appealing, because it has a larger screen, runs the latest OS version, and is available at 16GB. One solution is to get a Nexus and additionally buy a micro-SIM cutter.

When you were trying to cut the SIM to the micro-size, did you use a specialized cutter?

Thank you,
Victoria

I was able to cut the SIM correctly using a pattern that was downloaded and printed from the web. Best Buy said they would cut the SIM with a cutter for a few bucks, but I decided to do it myself. I actually had two SIMs from AirVoice because of a mistaken duplicate order and tried cutting both of them. However, the problem actually was that the metal foil part of the standard SIM was not the same size and design as on the micro-SIM. So it didn't do any good to cut the SIMs to fit the micro-SIM slot. They still didn't work. Since I didn't know what the problem was after cutting them, I went to Walmart and signed up for StraightTalk to purchase a micro-SIM, which worked immediately. Then I had to contact AirVoice customer service and they replaced the SIMs immediately for no charge. A few lost days and a lot of frustration.
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Postby Browser » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 am

VictoriaF wrote:
beanstock wrote:Also, you may want to check out Sony Ericson Xperia series. Some models have dual sim card readers, which could make it convenient while traveling and using multiple sim cards from different networks.

A quick visit to Amazon.com has produced some Sony Xperia devices running Android 2.3. In contrast, Nexus 4 (purchased at Google) comes with Android 4.2. Thank you for the suggestion, but I think Nexus 4 is the best choice for me. Especially now, that you have confirmed that SIM cutters work.

Victoria

Turns out that you can download the Android 4.2 update to the Sonys now. That's what I bought and I've done it. Just make sure to use WiFi to do it or you use up your paid data (I did that too. :oops: )
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Postby frugaltype » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:09 am

matjen wrote:
frugaltype wrote:When I see people with their faces in devices and ignoring the people and nature around them, I fear for the future of the human race.

Hyperbole alert! Did it ever occur to you that what the vast majority of those people are doing with those devices is communicating with other members of the human race. Communicating with them much more frequently and in much more depth (e.g. pictures, videos, social media applications, etc.). Admittedly, the beauty of the long form letter has been lost. Say la vie....that was gone long before mobile computing. I would argue this point more but I have to get out for my run which is tracked by my fitbit flex bracelet (fitbit.com) which then syncs to my phone so I can track all my progress on a dashboard (available online and on my smartphone) which is shared with friends. That way we can compete and comment on each other's progress in real time.

If a friend is out hiking, I hope they are enjoying nature. Maybe taking a few photos to send later. I do not want them to spend all their time with their face in a device sending texts, like What a big tree! and expecting me to read and reply instead of, like, actually doing something. Similarly, I would hope running was a Zen experience.
Last edited by frugaltype on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugaltype

Postby SPG8 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 am

matjen wrote:Say la vie....

"la vie"
SPG8

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 am

SPG8 wrote:

"la vie"

Did you actually say it, or just wrote it?!

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 am

Browser wrote:Just make sure to use WiFi to do it or you use up your paid data (I did that too. :oops: )

Thank you Browser. I make my share of mistakes. They are annoying at the time but make for good stories.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby matjen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 am

VictoriaF wrote:
SPG8 wrote:

"la vie"

Did you actually say it, or just wrote it?!

Victoria

I have no idea what you two are referring too? ;-) Thank god for the editing feature on this board. :-)
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
matjen

Postby protagonist » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:39 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
beanstock wrote:Paralysis by analysis can induce more stress and anxiety than necessary.

This is also known as The Paradox of Choice. I read Barry Schwartz's book but for a quick exposure to his ideas, I recommend his TED video. When choices create a paralysis, I refer to it as the tyranny of choice.

After looking into various aspects of smartphones for the past 20 hours, I am escalating it from the tyranny of choice to the hara-kiri by choice. And so to cut to the chase, I have placed an order with Google. My assets are now $430 lighter, but my heart is in the right place. I think.

Cheers,
Victoria

I almost bought a Nexus 4 a month ago to replace my rapidly dying-the-death-of-a thousand-cuts iPhone 3g that I bought from a friend for $50. After way too much wasted time on personal research, I decided to delay purchasing a new phone until either the next generation (Nexus 5?) is released or my iPhone deteriorates to the point where it is painful to use, whichever comes first. (not there yet, though I can't turn it off, can't use it for sending photos/videos, the processor is slow, the battery life sucks and the max volume is pretty low...other than that it works fine). I figure the technology changes at least once a year, and if one can hold out, it's probably a good idea. I also anticipate that switching to Android will be a bit of a pain in the neck (music is all on iTunes, and lots of it), and at least a non-trivial one-time expense, since none of my many purchased apps will work, nor my connectors, charger, etc.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the Nexus once you get it up and running, Victoria. I imagine you will like it a lot.
protagonist

Postby pteam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 am

My wife and I switched to airvoice wireless which uses at&t's network recently from Verizon and are saving $1700 a year. We pay $10 per month each for our smart phones. You can buy any smart phone you like that works on AT&T . We use wifi only because there is wifi at home and wifi at our office, even wifi at almost every restraunt if you really need to get online all the time. In an emergency we turn on mobile network data.
pteam

Postby TTU » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:34 am

My phone:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/at- ... 01633.html

Does everything I need except GPS. I find myself observing my surroundings, actually interacting with other humans, and focusing on life's important things instead of a status update, tweet, or the score of the game. May I also recommend getting rid of Facebook?
TTU

Postby ieee488 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 am

TTU wrote:My phone:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/at- ... 01633.html

Does everything I need except GPS. I find myself observing my surroundings, actually interacting with other humans, and focusing on life's important things instead of a status update, tweet, or the score of the game. May I also recommend getting rid of Facebook?

It is one thing to be dining alone and using Facebook and whatnot.
It is totally a pathetic thing when you are at a table with other people and doing the same.
I see the latter a lot. I guess the other people at the table are not as important as other people on Facebook.
Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04 + Windows 7), Dell Precision M6300 (Windows 7), Dell Latitude D530 (Windows Vista), Dell Latitude D531 (Windows Vista)
ieee488

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:24 am

protagonist wrote:I almost bought a Nexus 4 a month ago to replace my rapidly dying-the-death-of-a thousand-cuts iPhone 3g that I bought from a friend for $50. After way too much wasted time on personal research, I decided to delay purchasing a new phone until either the next generation (Nexus 5?) is released or my iPhone deteriorates to the point where it is painful to use, whichever comes first. (not there yet, though I can't turn it off, can't use it for sending photos/videos, the processor is slow, the battery life sucks and the max volume is pretty low...other than that it works fine). I figure the technology changes at least once a year, and if one can hold out, it's probably a good idea. I also anticipate that switching to Android will be a bit of a pain in the neck (music is all on iTunes, and lots of it), and at least a non-trivial one-time expense, since none of my many purchased apps will work, nor my connectors, charger, etc.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the Nexus once you get it up and running, Victoria. I imagine you will like it a lot.

Thank you for mentioning Nexus 4. Your prolonged analysis has shortened mine. After I have compared Nexus to several other options, it came up on top for my needs.

My take on Nexus will take some time to evolve. This will be my first smartphone, and I will not be comparing it to others. After browsing Android applications on Google Play, I found several apps that I will be using. If they work as described they will justify the plunge.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby floydtime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 am

frugaltype wrote:
matjen wrote:
frugaltype wrote:When I see people with their faces in devices and ignoring the people and nature around them, I fear for the future of the human race.

Hyperbole alert! Did it ever occur to you that what the vast majority of those people are doing with those devices is communicating with other members of the human race. Communicating with them much more frequently and in much more depth (e.g. pictures, videos, social media applications, etc.). Admittedly, the beauty of the long form letter has been lost. Say la vie....that was gone long before mobile computing. I would argue this point more but I have to get out for my run which is tracked by my fitbit flex bracelet (fitbit.com) which then syncs to my phone so I can track all my progress on a dashboard (available online and on my smartphone) which is shared with friends. That way we can compete and comment on each other's progress in real time.

If a friend is out hiking, I hope they are enjoying nature. Maybe taking a few photos to send later. I do not want them to spend all their time with their face in a device sending texts, like What a big tree! and expecting me to read and reply instead of, like, actually doing something. Similarly, I would hope running was a Zen experience.

Pretty sure he was being facetious (he did post an alert! :happy ).
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
floydtime

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:I almost bought a Nexus 4 a month ago to replace my rapidly dying-the-death-of-a thousand-cuts iPhone 3g that I bought from a friend for $50. After way too much wasted time on personal research, I decided to delay purchasing a new phone until either the next generation (Nexus 5?) is released or my iPhone deteriorates to the point where it is painful to use, whichever comes first. (not there yet, though I can't turn it off, can't use it for sending photos/videos, the processor is slow, the battery life sucks and the max volume is pretty low...other than that it works fine). I figure the technology changes at least once a year, and if one can hold out, it's probably a good idea. I also anticipate that switching to Android will be a bit of a pain in the neck (music is all on iTunes, and lots of it), and at least a non-trivial one-time expense, since none of my many purchased apps will work, nor my connectors, charger, etc.

VictoriaF wrote:Thank you for mentioning Nexus 4.

Keep the change, Victoria (smile...)

VictoriaF wrote:My take on Nexus will take some time to evolve. This will be my first smartphone, and I will not be comparing it to others. After browsing Android applications on Google Play, I found several apps that I will be using. If they work as described they will justify the plunge.

Victoria

Apps are aowesome. If you find some good ones, feel free to share. And by the way, contrary to concerns of certain posters re: smartphones...mine has not made me any less social. If anything, it has aided my social life- much easier to connect with people, share things, make spontaneous plans, etc. Just because you have a smartphone or because you have a facebook account does not mean you have to be surfing facebook at a dinner party, any more than having a newspaper would mean having to bury your nose in it when with friends. Most people would agree that is lame, antisocial behavior. The technology, or newspaper, is not to blame.
protagonist

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 am

protagonist wrote:Just because you have a smartphone or because you have a facebook account does not mean you have to be surfing facebook at a dinner party, any more than having a newspaper would mean having to bury your nose in it when with friends. Most people would agree that is lame, antisocial behavior. The technology, or newspaper, is not to blame.

I think the concern is not that one would voluntarily lose manners after acquiring a smartphone, but that the phone will be so addictive that one would not be able to put it away. But there are various ways of preventing potentially bad habits.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:23 am

Victoria, I would be interested as well in your experience with Air Voice Wireless. Their $40 plan seems to compare favorably with Straight Talk's $45 plan for people (like me) who do not use a lot of data service. esp. w/ $10 free international dialing. Please let me know after you have given it a good try. Thanks.
protagonist

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 am

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:Just because you have a smartphone or because you have a facebook account does not mean you have to be surfing facebook at a dinner party, any more than having a newspaper would mean having to bury your nose in it when with friends. Most people would agree that is lame, antisocial behavior. The technology, or newspaper, is not to blame.

I think the concern is not that one would voluntarily lose manners after acquiring a smartphone, but that the phone will be so addictive that one would not be able to put it away. But there are various ways of preventing potentially bad habits.

Victoria

I agree. But that is a personal addiction problem, not a technology problem. Same thing with TV, internet, video games, wine, etc. If you have a problem you need to address it. If you don't, and choose to use the technology in a positive way (as I imagine the majority of people do), then it's a great thing.
protagonist

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 am

protagonist wrote:But that is a personal addiction problem, not a technology problem. Same thing with TV, internet, video games, wine, etc. If you have a problem you need to address it. If you don't, and choose to use the technology in a positive way (as I imagine the majority of people do), then it's a great thing.

Depending on an addiction, only complete abstinence may work. Those who expect a problem and are not buying smartphones because of it, are actually addressing potential issues.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I found an important need for a smartphone and have just bought one. I did not start by thinking if I needed another device. I was looking for technology solutions for what I want to do, and a smartphone is uniquely suited to provide a solution.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Browser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 am

Has been entertaining to follow Victoria's journey into Smartphonia, having done same very recently myself. She got it over with a lot quicker than I did. I still have my serious dubies about needing a smartphone. It makes a nice toy to play around with. I like the maps and navigation but really don't need it. My Garmin is a lot more functional for my navigation needs -- I can actually see the screen! I also found out the phone heats up mightily when I use it for navigation, especially when it's plugged into the car charger -- gets to 115 degrees (I can heat my coffee on it though). I imagine that would cut down the life expectancy of the battery and phone internals, so I won't be using it except occasionally. As for the web, I don't much like the little screen and it has been painful to whittle down my fingertips so they are small enough to navigate the touch screen. Have you ever tried to do Bogleheads on one of those things? Good luck. I do like the Gas Buddy app though - however I really don't need that either because I go to Sam's Club and they always have the cheapest gas anyway. The worst problem with the thing is the battery life. All that smartphoney stuff really sucks the life out of the battery and I'm charging it once or twice a day; whereas I used to charge my flip phone about every 3 days or so. Those batteries are good for about 300 charges, so I figure the phone will be useless in about a year. And, the battery can't be replaced inexpensively, so I guess you have to shop for a new phone every year or two. There are phones with replaceable batteries but you have a limited selection. Anyway, despite all the things I don't like about it, I do like techy stuff so I'll probably keep it. But the only reason I will is because I can get cheap no-contract service. If I had to pay Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint through the nose I wouldn't consider a smartphone for a minute. Not cost-effective at $100 or more a month they charge. Now -- I just have to bite the bullet and quit my $25/month legacy phone plan with Sprint and port the number to my smartphone. I still can't bring myself to do it and cut the cord entirely.
Browser

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:47 am

Browser wrote:Has been entertaining to follow Victoria's journey into Smartphonia, having done same very recently myself. She got it over with a lot quicker than I did.

Thank you for starting this thread. It was very helpful to me and probably will be to others. The more we read about people's experiences the easier it becomes to make our own decisions. Unlike reviews available elsewhere, this Forum allows us to interact and reach decisions quicker.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Browser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 am

Victoria - I too will be interested in your impressions of the smartphone when you start using it. We can probably learn something from that.

BTW, I had one other thought: if you only want a smartphone mainly for occasional use, like trips, you can use a Google Voice number with it. With AirVoice or other non-contract services you will lose the phone number they assign if you don't continue month-to-month. But with Google Voice you can keep that number and continue to use it if you stop and start your phone service. There is the problem of porting your existing cell number (if you have one) to the new smartphone. You'll lose that number if you subsequently start and stop the service, so I haven't figured out what to do about that. I may have to change all important phone contact numbers to the Google Voice number over time so I don't have to rely on that old number anymore.

If you want any help with AirVoice, let me know. There are a few things I had to learn about it.
Browser

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

Browser wrote:Has been entertaining to follow Victoria's journey into Smartphonia, having done same very recently myself. She got it over with a lot quicker than I did. I still have my serious dubies about needing a smartphone. It makes a nice toy to play around with. I like the maps and navigation but really don't need it.
Mileage varies depending on your needs.

As a sax player I find it invaluable. I have a metronome on my phone. I have a chromatic tuner on my phone. I have 8000+ songs on my phone. I have an app that allows me to slow down or speed up any piece of music to the tempo desired without changing pitch, which is invaluable when learning new, difficult pieces- this alone has transformed my practice. I can loop short segments of tunes with which I have trouble to play along with until I get them right. I have the chord changes to thousands of tunes available in seconds, and if I am playing a jam session and somebody calls a tune in an unusual key, I have an app that will instantly transpose those chord changes for me into that key. I can view the written music to thousands of tunes on my phone and catalog them without carrying around 30 pounds of real books. I have hundreds if not thousands of backing "rhythm tracks" on my phone that I can play along with at any tempo I want. If somebody calls a tune I can immediately go to youtube and listen and watch the masters play it. These devices have transformed musicians' lives and practices, and saved them huge amounts of money and wasted hours of effort. And I can carry all of the above in my pocket.

I also windsurf, and live 2 1/2 hours by car from my favorite windsurfing beach. I have apps on my phone that will give me real-time wind reports direct from my beach as well as hour-by-hour wind predictions, both there and at surrounding beaches. That real-time information can save me 5 hours of driving and $80 in gas, plus help me decide what equipment to take with me.

The apps that allow me to do all the above are either free or nearly free. Just an example of individual uses of a smartphone, beyond texting and surfing Facebook in the woods.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
protagonist

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 am

Browser wrote:Victoria - I too will be interested in your impressions of the smartphone when you start using it. We can probably learn something from that.

BTW, I had one other thought: if you only want a smartphone mainly for occasional use, like trips, you can use a Google Voice number with it. With AirVoice or other non-contract services you will lose the phone number they assign if you don't continue month-to-month. But with Google Voice you can keep that number and continue to use it if you stop and start your phone service. There is the problem of porting your existing cell number (if you have one) to the new smartphone. You'll lose that number if you subsequently start and stop the service, so I haven't figured out what to do about that. I may have to change all important phone contact numbers to the Google Voice number over time so I don't have to rely on that old number anymore.

If you want any help with AirVoice, let me know. There are a few things I had to learn about it.

I was warned that I would lose my number within a month or two by Straight Talk when I went abroad and discontinued the service...but I D/C'd the service in December when I went abroad, did not return until May, and to my surprise on my return my number was still valid with Straight Talk and only needed to be re-activated.
protagonist

Postby Epsilon Delta » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 am

protagonist wrote:I agree. But that is a personal addiction problem, not a technology problem. Same thing with TV, internet, video games, wine, etc. If you have a problem you need to address it. If you don't, and choose to use the technology in a positive way (as I imagine the majority of people do), then it's a great thing.

I disagree. Addiction is a personal problem, a social problem and a technology problem. Nobody gets addicted to aspirin.
Epsilon Delta

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
protagonist wrote:I agree. But that is a personal addiction problem, not a technology problem. Same thing with TV, internet, video games, wine, etc. If you have a problem you need to address it. If you don't, and choose to use the technology in a positive way (as I imagine the majority of people do), then it's a great thing.

I disagree. Addiction is a personal problem, a social problem and a technology problem. Nobody gets addicted to aspirin.

A personal and social problem, yes, of course I agree. But you can't blame the existence of technology for people's addiction to it any more than you can blame the existence of ice cream for people's addiction to it. If you have a weight problem you should avoid ice cream. If you don't you should enjoy it. Same goes for technology, as well as countless other items created for our use and enjoyment.
protagonist

Postby DiscoBunny1979 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm

One problem with the SmartPhone and such technology dependence.

I see a lot of people on their phone, in the car, at the shopping mall, just getting out their car with their ear to the phone, void of any concept of any other human life around them. It's my observation that leads me to believe that many individuals on such devices are so trapped into using them that they are literally lost without them. They are dependent, but not dependent in the casual sense of the word, dependent as meaning manically obsessed with having to use them, be on them, show other people that they have them, that somehow it makes them part of an "in" crowd that anyone else that doesn't possess such an object is less than. This dependence might lead to more dumbing down of American youth by their need to be obsessed about things that really doesn't matter. What matters is the ability to write English, read, and comprehend what they have read. I don't believe texting enhances daily living, but gives an excuse to be lazy, continually do things, be on the move, when in reality, the human mind needs time to relax and be at peace and harmony with the sounds of nature - not the sounds of an electronic device.

While all the things one can do on a SmartPhone might make one feel secure in knowing that they can instantly go online and find out just about anything they need to know, it takes the mystery out of daily living. It creates a dependence on needing to know everything right now, what the weather is, how the traffic is, what my friend(s) is(are) doing right now, everything right now . . . a feeling of needing to be connected. That, in my opinion, if NOT connected and not on the phone, not knowing where the phone is, what the next text will be, what the next email will say, will create a sense of isolation, loneliness, depression, that is not healthy.

This is not to say that a SmartPhone isn't a good thing - like all things in moderation. But when a SmartPhone becomes a part of one's life, like one's best friend, that you can't live without it, then it is a problem. And that, the dependence on an electric device, could be a problem for everyone, if and when the lights go out.
DiscoBunny1979

Postby Browser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't think that's correct. I am addicted to aspirin; I take 4-6 of them every day and have for years. I'm sure that's not good.
Browser

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Browser wrote:if you only want a smartphone mainly for occasional use, like trips, you can use a Google Voice number with it.

If I get a number from Google Voice, can I then provide it as my number to AirVoice? From reading AirVoice instructions it appears that they transfer numbers from other mobile carriers and MVNOs. But can they rob Google of its numbers?

I think a typical approach is to forward calls from the Google Voice number to whatever device and number one is using. I am trying to figure out whether it's feasible or desirable to circumvent forwarding and just use Google Voice number everywhere.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby ogd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 pm

VictoriaF wrote:If I get a number from Google Voice, can I then provide it as my number to AirVoice? From reading AirVoice instructions it appears that they transfer numbers from other mobile carriers and MVNOs. But can they rob Google of its numbers?

Probably but you can also have Voice forward your calls to an AirVoice number that you don't give out as your contact. Then you don't have to deal with number porting ever again.
ogd

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:58 pm

ogd wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:If I get a number from Google Voice, can I then provide it as my number to AirVoice? From reading AirVoice instructions it appears that they transfer numbers from other mobile carriers and MVNOs. But can they rob Google of its numbers?

Probably but you can also have Voice forward your calls to an AirVoice number that you don't give out as your contact. Then you don't have to deal with number porting ever again.

Do you mean that if I give my Google Voice number to AirVoice, I will not be able to give it later to any other carriers without officially porting it? If that's the case, I will just do the forwarding thing.

If I get a SIM for a European network, will it come with a separate number that I will also be able to forward to from the Google Voice number?

Thanks,
Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby likegarden » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm

We have a 3rd grader in our house. The school system is adding wifi. We do not have any smart phones, use Tracfone, with phones turned off. We already spend many hours a day on the computers. So now the school might require the boy to have a smart phone with a $45/mo data plan, crazy world. That seems to be modern day slavery to gizmos. Perhaps it is time now to cut off our computers to have peace again.
likegarden

Postby ogd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Do you mean that if I give my Google Voice number to AirVoice, I will not be able to give it later to any other carriers without officially porting it? If that's the case, I will just do the forwarding thing.

Yes, it will always be an official porting thing whenever you change who owns that number. So if you expect to hop carriers it's best to leave it with Google.

VictoriaF wrote:If I get a SIM for a European network, will it come with a separate number that I will also be able to forward to the Google Voice number?

Do you mean forward your Google Voice number to it? So it doesn't seem to allow forwarding to international numbers. No idea why -- it should be possible at the same cost as the GV international calls to the country. You have to add another VOIP provider in the mix. But at least you can get your voicemail easily.
ogd

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 pm

ogd wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:If I get a SIM for a European network, will it come with a separate number that I will also be able to forward to the Google Voice number?

Do you mean forward your Google Voice number to it?

Yes. I edited my message while you were composing yours.

ogd wrote:So it doesn't seem to allow forwarding to international numbers. No idea why -- it should be possible at the same cost as the GV international calls to the country. You have to add another VOIP provider in the mix. But at least you can get your voicemail easily.

What will I have to do to add another VoIP provider?

Thank you,
Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby The Wizard » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:50 pm

likegarden wrote:We have a 3rd grader in our house. The school system is adding wifi. We do not have any smart phones, use Tracfone, with phones turned off. We already spend many hours a day on the computers. So now the school might require the boy to have a smart phone with a $45/mo data plan, crazy world. That seems to be modern day slavery to gizmos. Perhaps it is time now to cut off our computers to have peace again.

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi, y'know...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby jmk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:52 pm

You don't have to spend a lot. The key is to get a phone that meets your specific needs and no more.
With a family, there are family plans that often make more sense. I like paying for my phone separately (pay as you go) so I'm not locked into a model to get my ROI.

In our house it makes more sense for me to use VirginMobile $35 a month. I get unlimited data and text and 300 minutes a month of voice (10 cents a minute the rare times I go over). Since I use my phone for short calls and mostly for google maps, gps, yelp, and email, this makes sense. I bought a $140 Optima, but next time may spring for the $189 Samsung. The $140 for the phone plus the plan itself spread over two years comes to $40 a month. If I sell the phone when I buy a new one, I could probably reduce this.
jmk

Postby ogd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:What will I have to do to add another VoIP provider?

Did a little searching, here's a couple of leads:

http://www.mikeslife.org/content/how-ge ... where-else -- this guy uses Skype. Half of the post is actually about fooling Google Voice into thinking you're in the US when signing up, you can skip past that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-t ... -cell.html -- recommends a service called LocalPhone, probably cheaper than Skype because it doesn't need another US phone number specific to VoIP. Instead, GV calls a generic number (like a calling card access no), which recognizes the GV caller ID as yours and forwards it to you abroad. Fun stuff.
ogd

Postby Toons » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Browser wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
rjsob58 wrote:You can buy one and just use for above with out getting a phone plan..(use just wifi).

I use an iPod Touch as my smart phone. It does everything an iPhone does only in wifi. http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/
No monthly fees.

Can you explain this for those of us who don't understand? How can this work for no monthly fees?

IPod Itouch uses wi-fi connectivity(only),smartphones can use both wi-fi (when in range)and 3 or 4g cellular network to connect to the internet. :happy

FYI
http://staff.ask.sydney.edu.au/app/answ ... -and-3g%3F
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:24 pm

ogd wrote:

http://www.mikeslife.org/content/how-ge ... where-else -- this guy uses Skype. Half of the post is actually about fooling Google Voice into thinking you're in the US when signing up, you can skip past that.

For those lazy to click, the guy forwards from his Google Voice number to his Skype number, and then from the Skype number to the international telephone number. The subscription for a Skype number is available here and costs:
Skype Number, 3 month subscription, $18.00
Skype Number, 12 month subscription, $60.00

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Browser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 pm

What I'd really like to be able to do is port my current cellphone number to Google Voice. Then I wouldn't have to make any phone number changes with existing contacts and my current number would become portable. If I'da thunk of it, I would have used a Google Voice number for everything in the first place. Of course, then you've got to start worrying about Google pulling the plug on GV or starting to charge you for your number, etc. etc.
Browser

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:34 pm

ogd wrote:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-t ... -cell.html -- recommends a service called LocalPhone, probably cheaper than Skype because it doesn't need another US phone number specific to VoIP. Instead, GV calls a generic number (like a calling card access no), which recognizes the GV caller ID as yours and forwards it to you abroad. Fun stuff.

I have investigated your second suggestion. LocalPhone displays on its home page significant savings over Skype. Your link provides instructions as follows:

A poster on http://www.flyertalk.com wrote:Create a LocalPhone "contact" for your Canadian mobile number, so you'll have a US number (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX) that forwards to the Canadian cell. Add your GV number as a verified number in your LocalPhone account. In GV's settings, set the Caller ID (incoming) to display your GV number.

Now you add that (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX) number to your GV account and you should achieve what you want. You lose incoming caller ID on your Canadian cell since it will always show your GV number.

Thank you for the links. This VoIP stuff is better than puzzles,

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:08 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
ogd wrote:

For those lazy to click, the guy forwards from his Google Voice number to his Skype number, and then from the Skype number to the international telephone number. The subscription for a Skype number is available here and costs:

Victoria

So complicated. I don't get it....isn't it easier just to give contacts who matter your European phone number when you are away?
protagonist

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
ogd wrote:

Victoria

So complicated. I don't get it....isn't it easier just to give contacts who matter your European phone number when you are away?

It depends on how many countries you are visiting and for how long. Conceivably, you may have several SIMs from several countries. The contacts would have to figure out which country you are in at a given moment and which number to use.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby ogd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Thank you for the links. This VoIP stuff is better than puzzles

You're welcome. It's something I'll probably do this winter, too, so let us know how it goes.

(Yeah, I wish that Google Voice would just do the whole thing itself. No idea why they don't.)
ogd

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:25 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
ogd wrote:

Victoria

It depends on how many countries you are visiting and for how long. Conceivably, you may have several SIMs from several countries. The contacts would have to figure out which country you are in at a given moment and which number to use.

Victoria

Makes sense if you are traveling to a lot of countries....I wasn't aware that one number would not suffice for, say, the whole E.U. By the way, it's a good thing you found Flyer Talk. It would be a very useful forum for many who frequent this forum. Thanks to Flyer Talk I never pay for my plane tickets (I travel to Venezuela and France every year and I can't remember the last time I paid for a ticket), and rarely pay for hotel rooms (and I am not a big credit card spender- it is all possible taking advantage of promo deals). I'll be flying to Paris this summer and staying at a 600-700 Euro/night hotel gratis. And when I was in Venezuela I had no trouble making outgoing calls using Google Voice. I probably should have ported my number over to GV before I left, but (perhaps by a stroke of luck) Straight Talk did not give my number away after 5 months abroad anyway. I tried to arrange to port my number or use call forwarding with GV while I was in Venezuela but it was not an option...would have had to do it domestically. I actually don't think losing my number would have been a huge issue. It was never that big a deal back in primitive home phone days when one would move....any people that mattered would find out your new number anyway.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 pm

protagonist wrote:By the way, it's a good thing you found Flyer Talk. It would be a very useful forum for many who frequent this forum. Thanks to Flyer Talk I never pay for my plane tickets, and rarely pay for hotel rooms (and I am not a big credit card spender- it is all possible taking advantage of promo deals).

I did not know about Flyer Talk until this thread. My tickets to Vienna are over $2,000.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby protagonist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:By the way, it's a good thing you found Flyer Talk. It would be a very useful forum for many who frequent this forum. Thanks to Flyer Talk I never pay for my plane tickets, and rarely pay for hotel rooms (and I am not a big credit card spender- it is all possible taking advantage of promo deals).

I did not know about Flyer Talk until this thread. My tickets to Vienna are over $2,000.

Victoria

Flyer talk is great. Another good site for similar information is this one: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsweli ... ne-promos/ There is also one called "Frugal Travel Guy" that is useful. I'm not compulsive about it...I just shoot for the miles I need for the travel I do (I usually get about 150-200K/yr off credit card promos which I sign up for about once a year). But there are people there who make it a hobby....they spend their lives traveling around the world first class for free, logging millions of free miles a year.
protagonist

Postby Browser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 am

Google Voice problem: I just got a GV number and testing it on my smartphone. When I call the smartphone using the GV number, there is a lag of 3 rings on the calling phone before the smartphone starts to ring. After 5 rings on the calling phone, it goes to voicemail and I've only gotten 2 rings on the smartphone. By the time I answer the smartphone, the caller has already been kicked to voicemail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced "GV Lag" like this and if anything can be done about it.
Browser

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am

Browser wrote:Google Voice problem: I just got a GV number and testing it on my smartphone. When I call the smartphone using the GV number, there is a lag of 3 rings on the calling phone before the smartphone starts to ring. After 5 rings on the calling phone, it goes to voicemail and I've only gotten 2 rings on the smartphone. By the time I answer the smartphone, the caller has already been kicked to voicemail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced "GV Lag" like this and if anything can be done about it.

Could the GV lag be related to the mobile network provider's speed? Have you tested it on your landline phone?

Also, is the number of rings before voice mail kicks in configurable? If yes, you could increase it to six.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Browser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:21 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Browser wrote:Google Voice problem: I just got a GV number and testing it on my smartphone. When I call the smartphone using the GV number, there is a lag of 3 rings on the calling phone before the smartphone starts to ring. After 5 rings on the calling phone, it goes to voicemail and I've only gotten 2 rings on the smartphone. By the time I answer the smartphone, the caller has already been kicked to voicemail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced "GV Lag" like this and if anything can be done about it.

Could the GV lag be related to the mobile network provider's speed? Have you tested it on your landline phone?

Also, is the number of rings before voice mail kicks in configurable? If yes, you could increase it to six.

Victoria

I was calling mobile-to-mobile when I got the lag. The calling mobile is Sprint and the receiving mobile was AirVoice AT&T. I don't get the lag when I call mobile to mobile using the smartphone's actual number instead of the GV number, so it's a GV issue. It's enough of a problem that I don't think I'll want to use GV unless it can be solved.
Browser

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Consumer Issues