kitchen faucets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

kitchen faucets

Postby mbres60 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm

We are redoing our kitchen and right now I am researching what style kitchen faucet to purchase. It seems there is pull down, pull out , and single handle type with a sprayer that is separate from the faucet. The pull down and pull out style both have the sprayer attached to the faucet. I hear the sprayer on some pull downs eventually don't go all the way back in and just hang there. Then there is the decision as to whether to also get a soap dispenser. We will be getting new granite countertops and these different styles (and weather or not to get the soap dispenser) all require us to tell the granite people how many holes to drill.

What do you have and do you like it?
mbres60

Re: kitchen faucets

Postby serbeer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Have pullout faucet with shower/stream switch on the head which has been working just fine for the past 9+ years (and I got one of the cheaper models too). Very convenient for filling pots etc standing next to the sync and for washing the sink itself. The only drawback, cannot mount water filter to it.

Shower mode is not very useful IMO, so if you could find a pull out faucet with "standard" head to which the filter could be mounted, that would be ideal combination IMO.

Don't have soap dispenser, but don't see why you could not ask to have the whole for it drilled. My faucet came with dispenser (which I did not bother to install) and wide plate to cover the hole in case I did not want the dispenser. And if it did not come with such plate, I'd simply use stainless steel plug instead, eg http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Newp ... 45/Cat/902
serbeer

Postby rustymutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:51 pm

We've got a pull down shower, or standard stream head. The shower is good for rinsing foods, such as beans, lettuce, or just rinsing the sink out. We've been quite happy with it. 4 years old now. We've got the built in soap dispenser, and wife would not be without it. Also have a reverse osmosis drinking water faucet.
Last edited by rustymutt on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Postby bungalow10 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:55 pm

We have this Delta that I bought from Amazon and I really like it. I don't see how it would stop retracting, it's simply a weight that hangs on the other (under the sink) end to pull it back in.

A coordinating soap dispenser is available as well.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby Mudpuppy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm too attached to my water filter to get one that combines the sprayer in the faucet head. I also got a Pur faucet filter that easily removes by squeezing two buttons, so I can take the filter off and put it somewhere safe when I'm cleaning dishes, washing food, etc (basically any potential for cross-contamination of the filter). I suppose one could get an under-sink filter and have a combined faucet/sprayer if one is really attached to the idea of the combined sprayer. But then you couldn't relocate the dispenser for the under-sink filter when doing activities that could lead to cross contamination.
Mudpuppy

Postby mbres60 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 pm

bungalow10 - They still retract but they just don't "snap into place". My daughter recently bought a new house and the sprayer hangs down a little bit instead of neatly fitting into the faucet. When I read reviews some people mention this happens.

Glad to know that some faucets might come with something to plug the hole if it is not being used. Basically I have read lots of reviews on all different kinds of faucets (probably read too many ) and there are very few that don't have some people hating them. (Maybe they work for a competitor?) Some people complain that their faucet didn't last very long and had to buy a new one. That is why I figured I needed to know what type I wanted because I would need to have the proper amount of holes drilled (or I couldn't change the type of faucet).

Anyone have any pros or cons as to whether to get brushed nickel, stainless steel, or chrome? Some people complain that some of them are hard to keep clean.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate hearing all of them.
mbres60

Postby jsl11 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 pm

We have a Moen pull out faucet with a separate built-in soap dispenser. We have not had any problems in 7 years. When Moen faucets wear out, a replacement cartridge makes them operate like new. In my previous house, we had a Delta faucet. While it was a good faucet, there were too many parts that wore out and had to be replaced. O-rings were the most troublesome. The other parts were provided at no cost by Delta, but I had to take the entire faucet apart to change them, and special tools were required. I am much happier with the Moen than I was with the Delta.
Jeff
jsl11

Postby Toons » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Saving$ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Get the style that you like best.

One thing to watch for: the inexpensive faucets have a plastic neck (the part between the handle and where the water comes out). These can easily break especially if they are the tall kind that stick up from the sink, and pots and pans are being moved past the sink. Make sure you get one with a metal neck. You can easily see the difference at most Costco stores - they sell a faucet with nice features for about $70 which has a plastic neck, and sell another for about $180 with a metal neck.
Saving$

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 am

Mudpuppy wrote:I'm too attached to my water filter to get one that combines the sprayer in the faucet head. I also got a Pur faucet filter that easily removes by squeezing two buttons, so I can take the filter off and put it somewhere safe when I'm cleaning dishes, washing food, etc (basically any potential for cross-contamination of the filter). I suppose one could get an under-sink filter and have a combined faucet/sprayer if one is really attached to the idea of the combined sprayer. But then you couldn't relocate the dispenser for the under-sink filter when doing activities that could lead to cross contamination.

I like having a filter too, but I was happy to ditch the clunky on-tap PUR filter and get one of thesefrom Filtrete. It's awesome and there is nothing on my sink/counter to clutter it up. I think it's cheaper than the PUR filters too.

I am not worried at all by cross contamination. It's a closed system and the only things under my cabinet are the fire extinguisher, dishwashing soap, and some rubber gloves.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby rkhusky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 am

We replaced the aerator on our ordinary faucet with one that swivels and you pull to create a spray. Works fine for us. We also have a separate sprayer with a hose, but have only used it a couple times (once just recently to spray the inside of the dishwasher that is next to the sink).
rkhusky

Postby keq1381 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 am

Saving$ wrote:Get the style that you like best.

One thing to watch for: the inexpensive faucets have a plastic neck (the part between the handle and where the water comes out). These can easily break especially if they are the tall kind that stick up from the sink, and pots and pans are being moved past the sink. Make sure you get one with a metal neck. You can easily see the difference at most Costco stores - they sell a faucet with nice features for about $70 which has a plastic neck, and sell another for about $180 with a metal neck.

+1

Our contractor recommended avoiding plastic parts in the faucet when we remodeled our kitchen last year.
keq1381

Postby NateH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

bungalow10 wrote:We have this Delta that I bought from Amazon and I really like it. I don't see how it would stop retracting, it's simply a weight that hangs on the other (under the sink) end to pull it back in.

A coordinating soap dispenser is available as well.

I had another Delta model that looked similar. it had magnets at the end that held the spray piece into place, and it worked wonderfully. I think it was the 989.

As for OP's daughters faucet hanging down - it seems like something that could be fixed. Is there a counter-weight on the hose under the sink? is something preventing the hose from falling the full amount? Does the counter-weight location need to be adjusted?
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year.
NateH

Postby Peter Foley » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Check the reviews of any faucet before your buy. We have an expensive model from Moen that is nothing but problems. When you check the customer reviews it becomes obvious that this was a poorly designed faucet. See customer Reviews for Moen Aberdeen: 7590C

It looks great and is functional, but it leaks and has a cheap plastic part that breaks every few years. :(
Peter Foley

Postby p14175 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

We currently have this one http://www.amazon.com/Delta-470-DST-Sig ... hen+faucet but it has problems. 1) The main post rusted and doesn't swivel anymore and 2) one of the stream/shower buttons broke and Delta quit stocking replacement buttons. I think we installed it 6-7 years ago. The Amazon review for it isn't much better.

I would like one like this http://www.amazon.com/Kraus-KPF-1612-Single-Kitchen-Faucet/dp/B0032IPJ0I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1364923896&sr=8-7&keywords=kitchen+faucet
p14175

Postby jsl11 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Peter Foley wrote:It looks great and is functional, but it leaks and has a cheap plastic part that breaks every few years. :(

Peter,
The replaceable part on Moen faucets is the cartridge. It's been a number of years, but the last time I bought one of these, there were two types. There is a plastic version and a brass version. I would think the brass one would be more durable.
Jeff
jsl11

Postby scooter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm

When we installed granite countertops, we installed a Symmons Forza pullout in one corner of the undermount sink and a soap dispenser in the other corner for a nice clean look. Symmons have ceramic seals and are far better than any you find at the big box stores. Visit a plumbing supply house and compare prices and once you decide also check on line.
scooter

Postby mbres60 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks all. I will be buying a faucet within the next 2 weeks. It will probably be a Moen or Delta. I think I would like to get a soap dispenser. Sounds like a nice idea. I have read some reviews but unfortunately even if there are lots of good reviews it is always sad to read a bad review. Kind of spoils things because the bad are really bad. Oh well. Maybe it was easier before the internet when ignorance was bliss?.....Nah.
mbres60

Postby bUU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 am

mbres60 wrote:We are redoing our kitchen and right now I am researching what style kitchen faucet to purchase. It seems there is pull down, pull out , and single handle type with a sprayer that is separate from the faucet. The pull down and pull out style both have the sprayer attached to the faucet. I hear the sprayer on some pull downs eventually don't go all the way back in and just hang there. Then there is the decision as to whether to also get a soap dispenser. We will be getting new granite countertops and these different styles (and weather or not to get the soap dispenser) all require us to tell the granite people how many holes to drill.

What do you have and do you like it?

We have one of the pull-out faucets and don't have any problems with it retracting, but then again we don't have the undersink area crammed with stuff so that might help. Regardless, the key aspects of this faucet that we like, as compared to other (more traditional) faucets are:

- Having a tall faucet is much better than not. Our faucet is high enough, now, that we can fit a tall spaghetti pot underneath it with load of clearance. Every additional inch of clearance is appreciated.

- Brushed nickel finish is better than shiny chrome. I hope it wears at least as well (and after a few years, it actually seems to be wearing perfectly, something I cannot say about any previous, shiny chrome-finished faucet). I never would have thought the finish would mean so much to me.

On the other hand:

- While having a soap dispenser is interesting, we used it for a week or so and that's it. It's simply more convenient to just leave a soap bottle out on the counter, than to have to struggle to refill the soap dispenser which is part of the sink/faucet assembly.

- We have one of those single-handle faucets where the handle is on the right of the spout, not the front. The impact of this is that "on" is "right", "hot" is "back", and "cold" is "front". I have still not gotten used to this arrangement, and I doubt I ever will.
bUU

Postby bluelight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

We had a Kohler Vinnata installed during the kitchen remodel a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. It takes a little getting used to the high faucet and you may notice more splashing than you had with your old faucet. Some faucets will always switch to stream mode when they are turned on, the Kohler will keep the last used mode. That may or may not make a difference to you.

There is a nifty little product - NeverMT - http://custominserts-store.stores.yahoo ... andlo.html that has tubing and various sized detergent bottle caps that allows you to draw detergent into the soap dispenser from a large dish detergent bottle stashed in the back of the cabinet. You can also DIY this with aquarium tubing. I had some problems using it with my soap dispenser due to an extra air hole, but know others who have used the NeverMT for years. Even without the NeverMT, I still love the soap dispenser.
bluelight

Postby johnep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 pm

We purchased Delta Ashton gooseneck w/pullout, about $220. We also have soap dispenser although we donot use it much. We did a complete kitchen remodel last year so if this is your biggest issue, you are in great shape. Remodel made tremendous difference and we could not be more pleased with everything.
johnep

Postby vtMaps » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 am

For quality, look for a commercial or restaurant faucet. We have a Fisher stainless steel model and love it. Ours is a double jointed model. (also serves as a pot filler faucet) Never seen one? Do a google on "double jointed faucet". --vtMaps
connecting at 19k with a 56k modem through 10 miles of copper in central Vermont.
vtMaps

Postby mbres60 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Any lefties? I just realized my dh might not like this because he is left handed. After all my time researching and finally picking out a faucet I fear I may have to get a different style. There is a Delta single lever faucet with a separate sprayer but I don't like the look of the faucet. It reminds me of an elephant trunk :(

Interestingly enough we have gone to HD and looked at faucets but I don't think he has made the connection that the lever is on the right.
mbres60

Postby bluelight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 pm

These are links to the threads on the gardenweb kitchen forums (a wealth of information there) that discuss changing the position of the faucet handle on pulldown faucets.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ki ... 17239.html
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ki ... 28323.html

I believe that most single handle faucets can have the orientation of the handle changed without a problem.
bluelight

Postby mbres60 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you so much bluelight. I am right handed and he is left handed. I did not realize you could move the direction of the handle and thought with it on the right he would be getting his arm all wet or just using his right hand and feeling awkward. At least now I have info to discuss with him before we buy. Thanks again!
mbres60

Postby detroitbabu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 pm

I have this one and am very happy with it. I bought it from CostCo when it was on sale.

http://www.costco.com/Hansgrohe%2c-Alle ... 10216.html
detroitbabu

Return to Personal Consumer Issues