How much to replace a watch battery?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

How much to replace a watch battery?

Post by dm200 »

How much should I expect to pay to have a watch battery replaced. The old battery seems to have used up all its charge. This would be for both the battery and replacing it successfully in the watch/
Bharat

Re: How much to replace a watch battery?

Post by Bharat »

Depends on the type of battery and ease of replacing it. It should be somewhere between USD 6-9. My experience has been pretty bad with this though. I have done this 3 different watches and the new batteries died within couple of months. Hopefully, you will get the right person that use good battery.
Everything that you own, owns piece of you.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I replaced 2 batteries 18 months ago. One was $12.95 and the other $15.95. One is still working and the other needs to be replaced.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
sport

Post by sport »

A local jeweler does them for $5. He has been doing this for years, and they work fine.
Jeff
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The last time I think the jeweler charged about $15. The batteries themselves you can often get from a well-stocked battery rack--locally, at CVS or Radio Shack--for about $4-$5 apiece but it's hard enough to replace them that I feel it's well worth paying to have the jeweler do it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tacster

Post by tacster »

Depends on the type of watch too. Some of them are dead easy, others like dive watches require special tools and should be pressure tested after being opened.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
mrspremise

Post by mrspremise »

Last time I paid $10 (including the battery) from a watch shop where they guy actually made clocks and watches.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

In the rural area where I live, I have to drive 15 miles each way to the one and only place that replaces watch batteries for $20. (Waterproof watches cost more).

True Confession: I have many watches.

So I bought myself an inexpensive watch battery replacement kit from amazon, as well as sample sets of batteries. Through time, I've had to buy a new special tool for some different watch, and I've also ordered a few special batteries. Always less than the $20 (and, of course, I don't have to drive anywhere). My arsenal is now quite complete.

I now change all of my own watch batteries, except for my dive watch. It's easy.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I just paid $14 each for 2 watches and one stopwatch.
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

or invest in a kenetic seiko watch. they last forever.
pochax

Post by pochax »

i just paid $15 for a local jeweler doing a Rado. took him <20 mins.
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

For the last 20 yrs I've worn watches that look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5J571-Spor ... roduct_top
$16 is a little steep for a watch. Usually I try to pay less. I assume the battery lasts forever or at least outlives the watch. I guess if a battery ever died on me (and it hasn't) - I'd throw the watch out and buy a new one.
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

My whole life I've bought my own batteries (latest from Amazon, 5 for <$5) and replaced them myself. Also replaced a friend's watch battery last year.

Pieces of cake. ;)
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

'
Chinatown price for battery + labor: Five dollar.
tacster

Post by tacster »

magicmom wrote:or invest in a kenetic seiko watch. they last forever.
Or a solar powered watch by Citizen (and others).
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

8-10 dollars is what my local jeweler charges.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

nisiprius wrote:The last time I think the jeweler charged about $15. The batteries themselves you can often get from a well-stocked battery rack--locally, at CVS or Radio Shack--for about $4-$5 apiece but it's hard enough to replace them that I feel it's well worth paying to have the jeweler do it.
Agree. I tried changing one myself once and broke the watch face. I took my 2 watches recently to a Fossil store, and my watches are not Fossil, and they replaced them for $10 each. Not bad.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I go to the diamond district in NY and bring 4-6 watches at a time and it usually costs $5 per watch.
kramer

Post by kramer »

lmpmd wrote:For the last 20 yrs I've worn watches that look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5J571-Spor ... roduct_top
$16 is a little steep for a watch. Usually I try to pay less. I assume the battery lasts forever or at least outlives the watch. I guess if a battery ever died on me (and it hasn't) - I'd throw the watch out and buy a new one.
Same here. I did pay $18 for my last watch because I liked the styling. If it is worthwhile to get the batteries changed, I tend to do it abroad. I had it done in both Colombia and Thailand, total cost about $3 each time.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

My barber can also change watch batteries. A few years ago I brought my watch in when I needed a haricut. Took him 5 minutes to change the battery then he cut my hair. One stop shopping at its best, huh? The watch battery cost about $5 or $6. The haircut was about $16 including tip.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I have had this very inexpensive Casio watch for years, and I never have had to replace the battery.
Gordon
rec7

Post by rec7 »

gkaplan wrote:I have had this very inexpensive Casio watch for years, and I never have had to replace the battery.
Casio watch batteries can last a very long time I have had some go 12 years.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

$5 where I go, including labor.
PJW
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

I've spent $10...not happy about it tho
"When nothing goes right....go left"
chaz

Post by chaz »

Radio Shack installs it for me.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

Suggestion: Get rid of your watches.

A few years ago, I had read that the younger generation no longer wears watches, since everyone already has cellphones, which have the date & time automatically updated. Cellphone date & time automatically updates for daylight savings time, and it automatically updates for timezones when you travel.

So I donated all my analog watches to goodwill for a tax deduction. Less clutter to worry about. Less stuff that I have to deal with. No more worrying about replacing watch batteries or watch straps. At first, it felt weird not wearing a watch. But now, years later, I'm glad I made the switch, and I'm never going back. It's like when I first cut my phone landline, and went cellphone only. It takes a few months to get used to the switch, but once people make the switch, they rarely switch back.

(Note: I still have a digital watch in my gym bag, for timing my workouts, and keeping time during armageddon blackout situations, like when Hurricane Sandy knocked out power for nearly a week)
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

normaldude wrote:Suggestion: Get rid of your watches.

A few years ago, I had read that the younger generation no longer wears watches, since everyone already has cellphones, which have the date & time automatically updated. Cellphone date & time automatically updates for daylight savings time, and it automatically updates for timezones when you travel.

So I donated all my analog watches to goodwill for a tax deduction. Less clutter to worry about. Less stuff that I have to deal with. No more worrying about replacing watch batteries or watch straps. At first, it felt weird not wearing a watch. But now, years later, I'm glad I made the switch, and I'm never going back. It's like when I first cut my phone landline, and went cellphone only. It takes a few months to get used to the switch, but once people make the switch, they rarely switch back.

(Note: I still have a digital watch in my gym bag, for timing my workouts, and keeping time during armageddon blackout situations, like when Hurricane Sandy knocked out power for nearly a week)
I've never had a mobile phone.
Gordon
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I do not carry a relatively heavy cell phone around. Usually all I need is the time on the radio of the car. In case I need the time like at a sports event, I wear a very light weight Timex watch, battery change costs $5. For some 'jewelery' at a place I need time, I wear a heavy Swiss Army watch, battery costs at a jewelry store was over $12, what a waste, but I got that watch for free from my former conglomerate employer.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Nix on the solar-powered watches. My wife got herself a pretty nice one, a Citizen Eco-Drive, about $300 I think. It turned out to be somewhat finicky--it didn't just stay charged in normal use, she had to be careful to give it quality time on a sunlit windowsill or under a turned-on room light to keep it going. And after about three years, the rechargeable battery crapped out and had to be replaced. Yes, that's right, the rechargeable battery didn't actually last any longer than the throwaways. And it cost something like $50 or $60 to have the battery replaced. And, you guessed it, after about three years the new rechargeable battery crapped out again.

My cheap mobile phone--cheapest clamshell-design TracFone had when I bought it--shows date and time on a little extra "outside" screen when you press an easy-to-find button provided for the purpose. But I notice that, unbelievable as it seems, my colleagues' spiffy, expensive, new smartphones DO NOT. There's no "external" screen, and they need to go through some rigamarole of swipes and magic passes to get to whatever it is that shows them the time. My own computer screen shows the time continuously in the Mac menu bar, and my wife's old XP machine did, too--but her spiffy new Windows 8 machine, amazing as it seems, DOES NOT. It shows the weather, the news headlines, ads, the date--but not the time.

So there may be some use for a traditional wristwatch since all the digital gadgets that show the time continuously.... don't any more.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

I am of the younger generation. I wear a watch. In fact, I wear a sweet looking analog watch. It completes a look.
Captain_Video

Post by Captain_Video »

Buy a Rolex. You'll never have to change a battery or strap ever again! :P
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I have a Polar heart monitor watch. It needs a battery change every few years. First time I went to the authorized Polar service guy. He charged about $10 to change the battery. The next time I checked YouTube and there was a video on how to change the battery for my exact model. I ordered batteries on eBay @ 4 batteries for 99 cents with free shipping. Actually received 8 batteries. Changing the battery was easy with the help of the video and the proper screwdrivers for the small screws. Total cost $0.99 with the next 7 changes free.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

How does Rico handle this situation?
Gordon
four7s

Post by four7s »

My jeweler charges $25. and gives a three year warranty. Don't lose the receipt and you have a good deal.
jollystomper

Post by jollystomper »

My wife has done enough jewelry business with a local pawn store that they have changed ours for free.
OAG

Post by OAG »

I just looked at Quicken and it seems the last Watch Battery I purchased (in 2012) cost me $2.13 (plus sales taxes) at Kroger's battery kiosk. I put it in myself so total cost was just that plus maybe 5 minutes to open the watch extract old batter insert new one and close up the watch. I do have a Lifetime Warranty on the whole operation (less cost of batteries). :D
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

gkaplan wrote:I've never had a mobile phone.
+1

Would like to own a simple, conservative, bullet-proof, zero-maintenance watch.

Nisi, thanks for the heads-up on the solar watch battery problem. Was not aware of that. Sounds like the NiCd battery memory problem. Wonder if any digital solar watches use a capacitor for energy storage? (RQ)

Rolex (kinetic watches) never needing repair/replacement parts? I wish it were true, but is not. Once the first ham-fisted certified watch repairer opens the case, all bets are off on everything (waterproofness, reliability, continued trouble-free operation...). Now when I wear mine, I must first manually wind it as the self-winding mechanism I paid $150 in the last '80s for the Rolex factory repair only worked for 6 months afterwards. I'm tempted to fix it again and sell it as soon as possible afterwards.

My Timex Indiglo battery recently died. I kept the box that came with it. According to the instructions, if I send it back to Timex they will change the battery and service it for free. Should only required postage, so maybe $5.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

gkaplan wrote:

I've never had a mobile phone.
No cell phone here, either. And until my ladyfriend bought me a watch in early 2008, I had not worn a watch in about 20 years.
tacster

Post by tacster »

Just as another data point regarding solar powered watches, I've owned two Citizen eco-drives for the last few years and never had any problem with either of them holding a charge. They even stay charged throughout the long gloomy winters here, mostly just on office light. One is radio controlled and so is 100% accurate. Don't even need to manually change daylight time. According to the internet these watches use a lithium-titanate power cell. Eco-drives are generally well reviewed on Amazon and elsewhere.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I remember the cost to be $10 - $15 depending on where. Most jewelers can do it for relatively cheap without damaging the watch. The biggest chain shop I know that does it is the Macy's in Herald Sq NY.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Where I live Walmart will replace the battery free if you buy it from them.
Slow and steady wins the race.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Abe wrote:Where I live Walmart will replace the battery free if you buy it from them.
Our Walmart use to do this but I guess they messed up some watches. They did several for us with no problems before this happened. Of course I don't show up with a Rolex.
RatherBeSailing

Post by RatherBeSailing »

Swiss Army Watch: Local antique clock shop, $15. Shoe repair shop $5.
Brietling: $45. Jewelers -- the local shops wouldn't touch it. "Too risky".
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I only have two pieces of jewelry. My wedding band and my watch. To me it dresses up my look, especially when wearing a suit.

- Cell Phone: battery lasts about 24 hours, relatively fragile

- Watch: Battery lasts for 5 years and waterproof
nhrdls

Post by nhrdls »

nisiprius wrote:Nix on the solar-powered watches. My wife got herself a pretty nice one, a Citizen Eco-Drive, about $300 I think. It turned out to be somewhat finicky--it didn't just stay charged in normal use, she had to be careful to give it quality time on a sunlit windowsill or under a turned-on room light to keep it going. And after about three years, the rechargeable battery crapped out and had to be replaced. Yes, that's right, the rechargeable battery didn't actually last any longer than the throwaways. And it cost something like $50 or $60 to have the battery replaced. And, you guessed it, after about three years the new rechargeable battery crapped out again.
I had exact opposite experience of Citizen Eco Drive. My watch is more than 10 years old and to date, never had a problem. I do wear full sleeves shirt many times, so watch is hiding behind the sleeves. If I need to check the time, I have seen seconds hand trying to do catch up when it dozes off to save power when light is not enough. But it has never died on me and always maintains time. It also seems to equally happy in office lights or home lighting. Even 14 hours flights where they switch off the lights and force all passengers to take a nap and did not create problems.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

The last time I had watch batteries changed it was $25 a watch supposedly because they would clean it and replace the gasket. I did that because the time before, a watch was ruined when I took it to have the battery changed.

So this last time, I changed them myself. I ordered a watch crab set and two sizes of batteries needed from Amazon for under $12 and changed three watch batteries myself and have enough batteries left over to change them again when these run out.

It took a few minutes to do it but was worth it.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I have two Citizen Eco Drives. The first one I bought in 2003, still works perfectly. Very nice watch which I wore every day for 9 years. I set the time on it twice a year when doing the savings time switch. It has never stopped due to lack of charge.

Last year I decided I wanted a little variety and ordered an Eco Drive that has a radio receiver that synchronizes with WWVB each night. This gives it perfect time as well. I wear this one more often than the first watch now. It handles DST changing on it's own.

I only carry my smart phone when going on a trip. Horrible things. They disturb my serenity. Plus I'm an INTJ who doesn't need a lot of external stimulation to keep my mind going.
margered

Post by margered »

I just replaced two batteries in two days. $9.95 plus tax. The lady next to me today was charged $7.95 each for three and when I asked why mine was higher, I was told "different batteries."
OAG

Post by OAG »

Pop cover off, take old battery out note number, go to Kroger buy new battery (last one was $4), put new battery in, replace cover. Total cost $4. DIY.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I bought a watch toolkit off ebay and do it myself. Now I wear a Seiko Kinetic so no batteries for me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_ ... 2661617011
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.