Warning: Possible PayPal Phishing Attempt

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Warning: Possible PayPal Phishing Attempt

Postby gkaplan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I just received an email, supposedly from PayPal, that read as follows:

"Dear user we found that your account was recently used by another so we offer you more security instructions on this site : http://www . protectyourself . comlu . com a little periode of time can take care a lot of your security PayPal_Team."

I don't have a PayPal account. Note too the misspelling ("periode") and the puzzling syntax.

[Link to possible scam site removed by admin LadyGeek]
Gordon
gkaplan

Re: Warning: Possible PayPal Phishing Attempt

Postby lwfitzge » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm

PayPal scams are quite popular. The other one that's in my spam folder often are "FedEx" phishing scams.
lwfitzge

Postby Mel Lindauer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 pm

The horrible use of the English language should be your first clue.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby cheese_breath » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 pm

I got one a couple weeks ago saying it was my second reminder, and I would have to provide information to verify my account or it would be closed. I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com and deleted it.
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:50 am

Greetings:

The Munchkin Man received a FedEx scam email message a couple of weeks ago.

The message said that a recent attempt to deliver the Munchkin Man's package was unsuccessful.

The message instructed the Munchkin Man to click on the logo link to begin the process of retrieving the Munchkin Man's package.

The message was well written and contained no grammatical errors that the Munchkin Man could see.

It even contained a fake delivery number.

The Munchkin Man was actually expecting a package that was running late and had not been delivered yet.

This made the Munchkin Man think for a few seconds about clicking on that link.

Finally, the Munchkin Man figured out that the front desk staff at the Munchkin Man's apartment building would have informed the Munchkin Man if FedEx made an attempt to deliver the Munchkin Man's package.

The Munchkin Man did NOT click on that link.

This is probably the most deceptive email scam the Munchkin Man has seen to date.

The scammers have obviously figured, that at any given moment, that there are multitudes of people who are expecting a package from FedEx.

The Munchkin Man has been told that a lot of people have fallen for this scam.

It almost caught the Munchkin Man.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Munchkin Man

Postby gkaplan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 am

I received another email this morning.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Rob5TCP » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:22 am

I keep an old computer as a "honey pot" - just to see the latest scams. It gets infected regularly and I only
use it for checking out these scams. The Fed Ex email, I have received several times. If you hover your
mouse over the Fed Ex icon - it clearly shows a scam address. On my regular computer, I would never click
on this anyway.

Periodically I just reformat the hard disk and continue with "my fun".
(I have joined scam baiters and have been doing this for awhile)>
Rob5TCP

Postby FRANK2009 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43 pm

I've received a few phishing emails allegedly from paypal. The scams are easy to spot. Usually spelling and grammar are poor. Also, Paypal addresses the email receiver by full name, never "dear customer" or another generic greeting.
FRANK2009

Postby tj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 am

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... of-outside

PayPal instructs people to forward such emails to spoof@paypal.com I used to get them all the time, but that was like 5 years ago. I have no idea if PayPal actually did anything to stop the spoofs.
tj

Postby FordBiggs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 am

I heard phishing scammers actually "purposely" use bad grammar/spelling to filter out the not so intelligent people and focus their scams on gullible people. Apparently, even their time is precious.

I've received a lot of these so everyone should just be extra careful and just remember that no website is going to ask for your username/password ever.
FordBiggs

Postby leonard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 pm

How hard is it to just NOT click on unfamiliar emails and-or their attachments.

Seems a pretty straightforward fix to this so called problem.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Return to Personal Consumer Issues