Gift card for cyclist

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Gift card for cyclist

Postby rjbraun » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I would like to buy a gift card for my audio technician. In terms of hobbies (apart from perhaps audio stuff), I only know that he likes to cycle. But I'm not even sure how much time he has for this pursuit, though he seems to imply that he's fit enough and would enjoy joining a group cycling tour for vacation one day. My backup plan is to give him an Amazon gift card, but I would prefer to give him one more specific to cycling -- as long as it's for a company with a broad range of cycling stuff that makes a $75-$100 certificate worthwhile. Of course, being a Boglehead I would like him to be able to order stuff without getting hit with high shipping costs. With Amazon I figure he could always select stuff to qualify for the free shipping option.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or input.
rjbraun

Re: Gift card for cyclist

Postby runner9 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I'd vote for amazon. Huge variety both of cycling and non-cycling stuff I'm sure, plus free shipping.
runner9

Postby retiredjg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I'd consider a gift certificate at his favorite cycle shop. That would show that you are interested enough to even figure out what his favorite cycle shop is. That might be appreciated more than the actual value of the card.

Amazon would work, but to me there's something a little lazy about doing it that way.
retiredjg

Postby cherijoh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Take a look at REI - they have a website (http://www.rei.com) as well as retail stores. If you have a store nearby, you can order online and ship it for free to an REI store for pick-up as well as make returns to the store. You can also get free shipping for purchases over $50. Also, they guarantee merchandise 100%:

We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don’t even need a receipt—we'll have a record of your purchase.

I am not into cycling myself but I do know people who have bought bikes there and been very satisfied.

C
cherijoh

Postby Fallible » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

retiredjg wrote:I'd consider a gift certificate at his favorite cycle shop. That would show that you are interested enough to even figure out what his favorite cycle shop is. That might be appreciated more than the actual value of the card....

A very nice thought and I also think the gift card to reflect the technician's interests is quite thoughtful. I'm a cyclist and would probably also check into Amazon and REI.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." ~ Richard Feynman
Fallible

Postby retiredjg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

cherijoh wrote:Take a look at REI

I think this is almost as good an idea as favorite bicycle shop. Definitely shows more personal interest in the recipient than Amazon. I'm not opposed to Amazon at all - use them all the time. But this is a gift and needs to feel somewhat personalized.

Darn it...just remembered I purchased something from Amazon this week and didn't remember to use the Bogleheads' link.... :oops:
retiredjg

Postby mickeyd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Seems like I have seen MasterCard and/or Visa gift cards. Would they not be better since they can be used to buy anything at any store?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby wageoghe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

It's been a while for me since I was into cycling, but I bought a lot of gear over the years from here:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/

I don't know if they have gift cards.
wageoghe

Postby stlutz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Excel Sports.

WWW.excelsports.com
stlutz

Postby rjbraun » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Thank you all for some great ideas! I like REI and will have a look at their site to check on the more cycling-specific options. Will also look at the other sites mentioned. Still open to any other recommendations others may have. :happy
rjbraun

Postby nisiprius » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Support your local bike shop. If you can't find out which one he patronizes, write him a check, leave the payee blank, and tell him that when the check clears you are going to look at the check image and it better be payable to a bike shop.

As a class, I don't know of any line of business in which local stores do more to earn their retail markup.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: "Citizen of the terrestrial sphere"--O. Henry, "A Cosmopolite in a Cafe"

Postby rjbraun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

retiredjg wrote:

Darn it...just remembered I purchased something from Amazon this week and didn't remember to use the Bogleheads' link.... :oops:

Using the Bogleheads' link for Amazon only applies when purchasing Boglehead-related books, right? Using the link for all of one's Amazon purchases doesn't make sense, right?
rjbraun

Postby rjbraun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 am

I'm strongly leaning towards getting him an REI gift card. I'm an REI fan, and they seem to offer a large selection of cycling gear. The other route I'm considering would be if I could feel him out on a bike shop he likes. Frankly, I'm not sure he really has much time now to bike, so he may not have a favorite shop. I will sleep on things and then decide tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the input.
rjbraun

Postby retiredjg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:35 am

rjbraun wrote:
retiredjg wrote:

Using the Bogleheads' link for Amazon only applies when purchasing Boglehead-related books, right? Using the link for all of one's Amazon purchases doesn't make sense, right?

The link provides some pennies to the forum no matter what you buy. This forum costs more than a few pennies a year. They really appreciate the support.
retiredjg

Postby rjbraun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am

retiredjg wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
retiredjg wrote:

The link provides some pennies to the forum no matter what you buy. This forum costs more than a few pennies a year. They really appreciate the support.

I had no idea! Thank you for pointing that out. I will certainly use the Amazon link located in the upper-right corner of the Bogleheads website for future Amazon purchases.

I hope this post helps to plug the link for any other unknowing Bogleheads.
rjbraun

Postby retiredjg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:00 pm

rjbraun wrote:I had no idea! Thank you for pointing that out. I will certainly use the Amazon link located in the upper-right corner of the Bogleheads website for future Amazon purchases.

A year or so back, Alex posted a list of things bought. Apparently, he can get info about what is bought, but not who bought it. It was interesting to see the diverseness of the interests of Bogleheads.
retiredjg

Postby lightheir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 pm

REI doesn't have true top-end cycling stuff, but it's the way to go, mainly because they will exchange the gift card for cash on the spot if he doesn't find anything he likes. Remind him of this.
lightheir

Postby campy2010 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Performance Bike or Nashbar tend to have decent choices and some good deals. But Amazon is not a bad choice either.
campy2010

Postby nisiprius » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 pm

I still suggest a local bike shop, but I will mention that the last time I was shopping for a bike I had a good local-bike-shop-like experience at REI. They did all the right things, they had a good candidate bike on the floor, and they let me take the bike I was interested in out for a decent test ride. I ultimately chose a different bike (from an independent bike shop) but REI was good. (EMS was not. In both cases, sample size of one store, of course).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: "Citizen of the terrestrial sphere"--O. Henry, "A Cosmopolite in a Cafe"

Postby livesoft » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:10 pm

All my serious cycling friends and myself get everything from Nashbar nowadays. I've used ColoradoCyclist and Performance in the past, but I cannot imagine going anywhere else for gear. I do buy unique local team jerseys from the local bike store, but nothing else.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby rjbraun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Update: I e-mailed my audio guy this morning to let him know to expect an REI e-gift card soon, as a small token of my appreciation. He was very nice but said a gift was totally unnecessary. I'm sure REI will come through on the card, but just to avoid any chance that he may think I didn't proceed with the card because of his comment, I will drop him a note to say that the card has already been ordered but that REI will convert it to cash if they don't offer what he wants (thanks, lightheir). I'll also mention that had I lined up my ducks earlier I would have got him a Nashbar gift card :P

Thanks to everyone for the input!
rjbraun

Postby lightheir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm

rjbraun wrote:Update: I e-mailed my audio guy this morning to let him know to expect an REI e-gift card soon, as a small token of my appreciation. He was very nice but said a gift was totally unnecessary. I'm sure REI will come through on the card, but just to avoid any chance that he may think I didn't proceed with the card because of his comment, I will drop him a note to say that the card has already been ordered but that REI will convert it to cash if they don't offer what he wants (thanks, lightheir). I'll also mention that had I lined up my ducks earlier I would have got him a Nashbar gift card :P

Thanks to everyone for the input!

REI card >>> nashbar despite Nashbar's better cycling-specific selection. I've shopped at both places extensively, and despite the higher prices, REI is the one to go to - retail outlets, AWESEOME customer service & return policy, and all top-rate goods, albeit for about a 10-15% premium (which I think is completely worth it given the quality of their goods and the customer service.) You got the right one, trust me.
lightheir

Postby retiredjg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm

rjbraun wrote:He was very nice but said a gift was totally unnecessary.

Of course. Doesn't mean he didn't appreciate it. A lot.
retiredjg

Return to Personal Consumer Issues