Plumbing question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Plumbing question

Postby Offshore » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 am

Project = changing fixture on utility tub in laundry room.
Problem = deep tub makes access to fixture extremely difficult.
Plan = scrape caulk sealing tub to counter. Lift tub out, turn upside down on floor for easier fixture access.

How would a plumber do it and what do you think of my plan?
Offshore

Re: Plumbing question

Postby surfer1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 am

Yes, you may have to remove the utility tub to get access to the pipes. Especially so, if you need to re-solder or put on a new compression fitting. I don't see how you could reach behind the tub to tightly screw on a new fitting if the tub was there. If you just need to change the trap (the pipe directly under the tub drain), then you can likely reach that without removing the tub.
surfer1

Postby HardKnocker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 am

Offshore wrote:Project = changing fixture on utility tub in laundry room.
Problem = deep tub makes access to fixture extremely difficult.
Plan = scrape caulk sealing tub to counter. Lift tub out, turn upside down on floor for easier fixture access.

How would a plumber do it and what do you think of my plan?

There is a special tool to do this. You'd have to measure to see if it would be long enough.

Telescoping basin wrench. http://www.ridgid.com/tools/basin-wrench

You may already have a standard basin wrench. They are handy to have and a must if you change fixtures on a sink.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Postby Offshore » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 am

HK-
That telescoping basin wrench you talk about I have rented from Home Depot in the past. Working that tool is like holding chop sticks from the far end.

Surfer-thanks for the reply. No soldering, just the fitting. It's the long reach that's frustratingly difficult with the tub right-side-up. Yeah, probably going to remove it.
Offshore

Postby Timoneer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 am

Offshore wrote:HK-
That telescoping basin wrench you talk about I have rented from Home Depot in the past. Working that tool is like holding chop sticks from the far end.

Surfer-thanks for the reply. No soldering, just the fitting. It's the long reach that's frustratingly difficult with the tub right-side-up. Yeah, probably going to remove it.

In one instance, for a kitchen sink, I found that a matching size deep socket wrench bit with a long extension bar would do the job better than a basin wrench.
Timoneer

Postby EternalOptimist » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:59 am

I have found that YouTube has a lot of helpful "how to" videos, try this one and go from there. Good luck :!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nc0SVWU8Is
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Return to Personal Consumer Issues