Starting your garden indoors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Starting your garden indoors?

Postby snyder66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am

Just wondering if anyone does this and would like to start some hints or ideas. I live in the NE and it's still pretty cold.
snyder66

Re: Starting your garden indoors?

Postby red5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 am

I use old cardboard egg shell containers, fill them with a good potting soil and plant as instructed. Keep the soil moist as it will dry out quickly. I place the seeds in a south window in order to maximize sunlight. I don't use a grow light or anything like that. Make sure to slowly introduce them to the outdoors in the week leading up to transplanting into your garden.

It'll depend on the particular plant as to when to start them indoors. Your local gardening extension office should have some good information on this.

There is lots of free information on the web and your local library concerning this. Take the time to research this.
red5

Postby Olduvai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 am

I have started my own vegetable and flower seedlings for years. I find you get a much larger choice of varieties from seed catalogs than you can get buying plants locally. Check out the catalogs from Burpee and Park; the catalogs have a lot of useful information, as well as supplies. Both companies have good web sites as well. You should also check out a few local suppliers' catalogs (such as Gurneys in the Midwest, not sure who would be the best in the Northeast), since they will have varieties that do best in your local climate. I would advise getting a good artificial grow light, and set it on a timer to provide 14 to 16 hours of light per day. Pick up some 6-packs and pretty much any potting soil mixture. Keep the seedlings well watered, since indoor humidity levels are low and seedlings in 6-packs can dry out quickly. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.
Olduvai

Postby rixer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 am

I collected seeds from my flower garden last fall. I just bought this handy little seed starter greenhouse at walmart. It is on sale for $4.50 right now at my local store. You can use several times before it breaks down I believe.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Planters-Prid ... gMethod=rr
rixer

Postby SteveB3005 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 am

Fancy lighting is not needed any bulb source over 5500K will work fine. Phillips makes a T-8 in 6500k 48 in shop light bulbs for under $10. A fixture that houses two bulbs runs under $25, a way to control heat is nice (pad/timer). This setup will bring 24 plants from seed to 8-10in bushy transplants in 5 weeks for me.
SteveB3005

Return to Personal Consumer Issues