Doomsday Preppers [TV show]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Doomsday Preppers [TV show]

Postby HardKnocker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 am

Anybody watch this?

I just watched a few episodes for the first time. While being prepared is a good thing, most of these folks have a few screws loose.

It's fascinating.

Some of the interesting commonalities among the people:

1) Only a few of the people are open to taking advice. Most are very closed minded and believe they are right.
2) Most also seem to want a disaster to happen so they can put their plan into action.
3) They also currently live as though the disaster has already happened.

My favorite nut is the one who believes he can hear the universe telling him what wild berries are edible. He also drinks his own urine (his girlfriend passed on the offer).
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Postby jridger2011 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 am

I watched a few episodes myself but grew tired of it quickly. A lot of those folks featured have great intentions and would love to share, but there's a whole other set armed and ready for disaster.
jridger2011

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Postby hicabob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

When the poles shift and armaggedon happens perhaps we will all wish we had spent our nesteggs on underground shelters and supplies! :oops:
hicabob

Zombies

Postby davebarnes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 am

All I have to say.
A nerd living in Denver
davebarnes

Re: Doomsday Preppers [TV show]

Postby SSSS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Vacuum decay. I'd like to know what sort of plans they have for that.
SSSS

Postby Easy Rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

I like how each person has their own personal version of doomsday, which perhaps tells us a lot about the person. I liked the woman who's defense against pandemic was mainly lots of hand sanitizer.

I also wonder who the "experts" are who evaluate their plans. :confused
Easy Rhino

Postby DonM17 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm

If armaggedon hits, I don't want to be the last man standing....I'd rather with the masses taking an extended dirt nap.
DonM17

Postby wingnutty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:45 pm

If armaggedon hits, these people with all the supplies will be the first one's raided and killed by the armed gangs.
wingnutty

Postby mike143 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 pm

The people on the show are mostly illogical. I expect a dooms day scenario to require constant movement and barbaric actions, to survive the long haul.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby Valuethinker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 am

There is a well researched psychology of doomsdayers. Famous papers.

I'd have to look up the cite (it's in the recent Chris Mooney book). But the psychologists joined one group, when Doomsday didn't happen as planned, it did not shake their faith.

Whilst the assumption that history is cyclical and we go through periods of things getting better and worse (ask anyone alive 1929-1949 about that!) is valid, the assumption that we are living in the last days of the Roman Empire is usually not. And, even then, with the exception of some cataclysmic events (volcanic eruption and tsunami, plague, civil war, barbarian invasion) most of the time the decline would have been less perceptible, just a gentle wearing out of things-- roads and bridges not being repaired, people moving to the city for more protection, fortifications being built around towns and farms, etc.

Think of modern Detroit you get the picture. The place has been dying for a long time, it's only in the last 10-20 years or so, perhaps,that it's demise has become obvious.
Valuethinker

Postby livesoft » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:33 am

Is this a US-only phenomenom? I can see more practical aspects for folks living in places like Syria, Libya, Egypt, maybe Greece, etc.

Now there would a great reality show: Drop these preppers into Aleppo and see how long they last.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby norookie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:02 am

I'd suggest, like the USA's .gov's many underground shelters for those deemed fit, it not be shrugged off as a black swan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8jNzgcl30 8-) (Due diligence and all that)
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
norookie

Postby HardKnocker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:29 am

norookie wrote:I'd suggest, like the USA's .gov's many underground shelters for those deemed fit, it not be shrugged off as a black swan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8jNzgcl30 8-) (Due diligence and all that)

A comment posted by one of the viewers on youtube:

"Okay, one of these photos was taken from the construction of the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, and another photo was taken from the sci-fi show Star Gate: SG-1. One thumbs up to the paranoia propagandist."
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Postby telemark » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:39 am

We have things pretty good now, probably better than at any other time in history. You might say that the civilization index has hit a new high. Does that mean a crash is inevitable? Maybe a correction? :D
telemark

Postby TimDex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:57 am

The people featured are carefully selected to look foolish and irrational, which is in line with the media/Hollywood view of anyone who doesn't agree with them.
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
TimDex

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm

This thread has run its course (no longer discussing the TV show) and is locked: Forum Policy

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. ...

Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues