Internet Explorer 10?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Internet Explorer 10?

Postby dm200 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm

I notice that Internet Explorer 10 is now available.

Any experience with IE 10 yet?

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
dm200

Re: Internet Explorer 10?

Postby Toons » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I experimented with IE10 for a couple days but switched back to Google Chrome,which I have been using for several years. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Nummerkins » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:28 pm

I am rolling it out to our computers at work. It's faster than ever (on par with Chrome) and is supposed to get monthly or quarterly updates.
Nummerkins

Postby LeyEily » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 am

I have Firefox 15.0 & I really like it a lot. I haven't used Internet Explorer since what? the 90s? Haha but I can't imagine such an updated version of it would be anything awful.
LeyEily

Postby cheese_breath » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 am

I let Microsoft updates install automatically, and they installed IE 10 on my computer yesterday. So far I haven't noticed any difference from 9.
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby chaz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Staying with chrome.
Chaz

“Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby sschullo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 am

cheese_breath wrote:I let Microsoft updates install automatically, and they installed IE 10 on my computer yesterday. So far I haven't noticed any difference from 9.

Really? I lost my emails! I get this message: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not installed properly. I looked around the internet and found no solutions so I guess I have to reinstall outlook and import my back up emails. That's a nasty wake up call for an automatic upgrade.
Anybody else get this error message and what did you do about it?
“It’s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.” - John Wooden
sschullo

Postby jjunk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:09 am

That error happens when your mail client isnt the default for all mail operations. Not sure if you were correlating that to IE10 or update installs, but check just reset whatever you use for mail as the default for all mail operations and you should be back to normal.
jjunk

Postby kitteh » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:18 am

chaz wrote:Staying with chrome.

Firefox, SeaMonkey.
kitteh

Postby bUU » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:35 am

Microsoft made a change in IE10 to the XHR API which is responsible for the problem encountered by a customer of ours which had employees who were participating in the IE10 beta test - this is code that has been working perfectly since 2005, and doesn't work at all in IE10. We had a fix available, but that doesn't obviate the customer's inconvenience having to deal with something in their data center, unexpectedly. Hopefully, by now, all major software vendors have tested with IE10, but I can assure you that less than 1% of our customers have elected to upgrade to the version of our software that has the fix. I wouldn't be surprised if something stopped working inexplicably after you upgrade to IE10.
bUU

Postby sschullo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 am

jjunk wrote:That error happens when your mail client isnt the default for all mail operations. Not sure if you were correlating that to IE10 or update installs, but check just reset whatever you use for mail as the default for all mail operations and you should be back to normal.

Got it, thanks!
sschullo

Postby midareff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 am

sschullo wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:I let Microsoft updates install automatically, and they installed IE 10 on my computer yesterday. So far I haven't noticed any difference from 9.

Really? I lost my emails! I get this message: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not installed properly. I looked around the internet and found no solutions so I guess I have to reinstall outlook and import my back up emails. That's a nasty wake up call for an automatic upgrade.

I had that about a month ago... wonder if I was an unknowing early tester. I rebooted and it worked properly.
midareff

Postby midareff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 am

bUU wrote:Microsoft made a change in IE10 to the XHR API which is responsible for the problem encountered by a customer of ours which had employees who were participating in the IE10 beta test - this is code that has been working perfectly since 2005, and doesn't work at all in IE10. We had a fix available, but that doesn't obviate the customer's inconvenience having to deal with something in their data center, unexpectedly. Hopefully, by now, all major software vendors have tested with IE10, but I can assure you that less than 1% of our customers have elected to upgrade to the version of our software that has the fix. I wouldn't be surprised if something stopped working inexplicably after you upgrade to IE10.

Checked and did an update to IE 10 this afternoon. everything is the same except the browser is much faster on the net.
Last edited by midareff on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midareff

Postby sschullo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

midareff wrote:
sschullo wrote:

I had that about a month ago... wonder if I was an unknowing early tester. I rebooted and it worked properly.

Rebooting didn't work for me. Had to click "select all" in the default settings in Outlook.
sschullo

Postby EternalOptimist » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 pm

I only use Mozilla Firefox and am happy with it
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Postby mike143 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:52 pm

I'll stick with FireFox: Google removes ad blocking Android apps from its Google Play store: "This hints that Google could be plotting a similar move for Chrome"

Primary reason I use FireFox is Adblock Plus.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Postby mike143 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Just found it is not 100% compatible with PayPal. When you go to change your address during checkout from a third party site it is missing a button to accept the change, whether in compatibility mode or not. Only reason I use IE is for fatwallet.com trackers for cash back, FireFox sometimes blocks them even with blocking addons turned off and you have to manual request credit.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Postby LazyNihilist » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 pm

I mostly use Firefox, but occasionally use Chrome browser. Pretty happy with both.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I mostly use Chrome after bad experiences with Explorer, mostly speed related.

But recently I've had trouble with a couple of sites with Chrome so use Explorer to access those sites. Its much better than it used to be, probably on a par with Chrome.

But I'm sticking with Chrome as my default. i dislike Google less than Microsoft.
Steelersfan

Postby dm200 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:07 am

Due to "automatic update" settings, Microsoft updated me to IE 10 :(

That caused a vital web site to have problems that created a big problem. I tried to go back to IE 9, and had lots of problems.

By clicking on "Compatibility View" - I was able to successfully use this vital web site.
dm200

Postby jonbois » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 am

Updated automatically 7-10 days ago..only problem encountered is with windows live mail..it loses connectivity randomly during the day and requires a manual restart..other than that all is okay..running windows 7 64 bit.

JB
jonbois

Postby Easy Rhino » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 pm

On my home Windows 8 machine, I like IE10 a lot more than IE9.

However, I keep other browsers around, because I seem to be assured of compatibility problems on various websites unless I"m using, like, IE7 or something.
Easy Rhino

Postby Novine » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 pm

We tried out IE 10 at work but ran into problems with PDFs and the version of Adobe Reader we were using. Some sites weren't working properly either including Outlook Web Access. Back to IE 9 until Microsoft works out the bugs.
Novine

Postby bUU » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 am

I'm not aware of any confirmed bugs in IE10 related to Adobe Reader. There are several problems with Adobe Reader (especially previous versions) where it didn't comply with standards, but those are things Adobe will need to remedy.

The fact that some of Microsoft's own websites are not up-to-date with web application standards that IE10 enforces is pretty ridiculous, though. It sure makes me feel better about how long it took us to fix those kinds of problems in the web applications we sell.
bUU

Return to Personal Consumer Issues