Any Minimalists on here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Any Minimalists on here?

Post by snyder66 »

I realize that it is a word that could easily convey frugal or otherwise. But, I have been reading a lot regrading this way of life and find it fascination. Not so much for my wife and kids.
Norris

Re: Any Minimalists on here?

Post by Norris »

I'm a Minimalist wanabe. My wife and daughter? Not so much. I think simplicity is underrated, not only in investing, but life in general.

Norris
CV

Post by CV »

I embraced minimalism, as well as frugality, shortly after adopting the principles of this forum. Donated tons of clothes and books, sold tons of furniture and other salable stuff, sold my 2800 sq ft home and bought a 672 sq ft home. The weight of my collective possessions is probably 20% of what is was 2 years ago. And it feels great.

I love it, but it's not for everyone. I'm single and that makes all the difference.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I had to google that to see what it meant. Not sure how to answer. We don't consume much, but yet we aren't intentional about it or think of it as a "lifestyle". It's just the way we are.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Check out this post on small houses from a while back.

Cosmo
Toons

Post by Toons »

CV wrote:I embraced minimalism, as well as frugality, shortly after adopting the principles of this forum. Donated tons of clothes and books, sold tons of furniture and other salable stuff, sold my 2800 sq ft home and bought a 672 sq ft home. The weight of my collective possessions is probably 20% of what is was 2 years ago. And it feels great.

I love it, but it's not for everyone. I'm single and that makes all the difference.
Pretty much the same here except home is 1500 square ft ,donated many possessions.
Very little clutter ,very little paper,all digital.Mostly a few pieces of junk mail weekly.
No debt,no home phone,no subscriptions,basic wardrobe,
Nice to be "free" of keeping up with all the stuff,both physically and mentally :happy
(Married)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

snyder66 wrote:I realize that it is a word that could easily convey frugal or otherwise. But, I have been reading a lot regrading this way of life and find it fascination. Not so much for my wife and kids.
Yes.

After school, I moved from one side of the country to the other for a one year internship, then moved back to the same original city to finish my training. Because of the limited time span of the relocation, I took only what I could fit in my small car and found it liberating to be able to live well with so few possessions. After the move back,I donated or sold most of my belongings over the next several years and continued living the same lifestyle. It was amazing how much junk I had collected over the years.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Five years ago we sold the family home in which we lived for the child-rearing era; since then we have lived a rather peripatetic life, four months each year on the road (I teach in China for three months then off to someplace else in the region), then back to some short term rental/share a home with friends/house sit until the next round of Asia. We got rid of many possessions and are down to a 10X 20 storage unit and a few suitcases.

Right now we are in Ithaca NY trying out this small town with a large university and a smaller college, for a North American anchor. I think we are ready to buy something, my real goal is one way or another to empty out the storage unit. Last year total housing costs were around $4500; when we travel we find inexpensive places and tend to stay put for a month rather than tour. Minimalist by one measure, very full and satisfying by others.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch »

Less is More. Excess is a bore.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Ah. If I could only fit into my Speedo again....
Marty
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

I've always tried to identify and stay with what is truly important and essential in life and jettison the rest as much as possible. I also have always loved minimalist art and literature though some art is called minimalist when the artist hasn't, IMO, really captured the essence of his/her subject. It's not easy to recognize true essence. Also, minimalism and frugality differ but work together well since to be frugal, one has to know what is essential.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

The desire for "stuff" had a lot to do with the dissolution of my marriage. As soon as we separated I gave away almost everything. Never owned a lot of things most people consider necessities. I can easily fit all of my worldy possessions into my subcompact car...well my bike is on top.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I'm a minimalist when it comes to shoes :-)

Seriously, I have wide feet and have always been uncomfortable in built-up shoes. It was a real struggle to find shoes that worked for me until the whole "barefoot shoe" thing took off after the publication of Born to Run. I even started running again for the first time since college.
hand

Post by hand »

Yes...
texasred

Post by texasred »

I do my best to embrace the minimalist lifestyle. Our home is 2400 sq. feet. I am not a collector and moving to southern state with no basement we got rid of plenty. I use the library, no magazines and keel the paper tiger down. Since we are retired and live in a climate were the wonter are mild, I keep the clothing needs down. I have also downsized my purse and wallet.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

hand wrote:Yes...
A real minimalist would've used only one dot, the period. :wink:
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
hand

Post by hand »

Fallible wrote:
My original response was a simple "Yes", but as it turns out, forum software prohibits posts less than 5 characters.
Since there is no grammatical precedent I'm aware of for ending a statement with two dots, I decided to live a little and go with the ellipses. It is Friday after all :P
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

hand wrote:
Fallible wrote:
My original response was a simple "Yes", but as it turns out, forum software prohibits posts less than 5 characters.
Since there is no grammatical precedent I'm aware of for ending a statement with two dots, I decided to live a little and go with the ellipses. It is Friday after all :P
OK :)
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Yes.
One of my favorite blogs http://zenhabits.net/
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

I suppose I'm a Minimalist. I prefer the word 'thrifty'. :)
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Optimalist here. No need for too much but also no need for too little.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Definitely not a minimalist, but I strive to have less. I often fail, being the busy mom of three young kids doesn't help.

It is so much easier to keep less stuff clean than more stuff. It's easier to find things and easier to stay organized.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

I don't label myself by any particular term but I consider it a personal moral imperative not to be wasteful. I hate waste - it is a pet peeve; I strive to avoid it and cringe when I see it. I have a live and let live attitude so it isn't like I make unsolicited suggestions to anyone else but I have some incredibly wasteful family and it bothers me. But, they probably think I live a life of monastic deprivation... :happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

hand wrote:
Fallible wrote:
It can be done. Look:
|
|
V
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Yes
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I think it's an idea more than a label. Not confining. A little different than some of my vegan friends...
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

snyder66 wrote:I think it's an idea more than a label. Not confining. A little different than some of my vegan friends...
I agree. Sometimes if you say [label yourself as] you are a whatever - stoic, minimalist, etc. others infer certain attributes which may or may not apply. I try to steer-clear of that.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

When I need to microwave something for 20 seconds, I do it for 22 seconds instead - so that I move my finger one less time.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:When I need to microwave something for 20 seconds, I do it for 22 seconds instead - so that I move my finger one less time.
+1 ... another 11 thru 99.99 person here! Nor sure if it's minimalism or laziness though :?:
bp8006

Post by bp8006 »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:When I need to microwave something for 20 seconds, I do it for 22 seconds instead - so that I move my finger one less time.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

I try to be, because for me, more stuff means more expense, more upkeep, more stress and a bigger footprint.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BBL wrote:I don't label myself by any particular term but I consider it a personal moral imperative not to be wasteful. I hate waste - it is a pet peeve; I strive to avoid it and cringe when I see it. I have a live and let live attitude so it isn't like I make unsolicited suggestions to anyone else but I have some incredibly wasteful family and it bothers me. But, they probably think I live a life of monastic deprivation... :happy
Waste drives me insane, doesn't matter what or whose it is. Right now it is especially bothers me at work. We recently had significant budget cuts but nobody ever considers turning off the lights or AC in their office when they leave for the night and so much company-purchased food is just tossed. Tablets were recently purchased for all of management for use when we travel. We already have laptops, I didn't see the point at all in wasting $20k on something most of us will simply not use, but I was the only person who stood up and stated I didn't need one. Not that it will fix our budget shortfall, but definitely would make a noticeable difference.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

hicabob wrote:
+1 ... another 11 thru 99.99 person here! Nor sure if it's minimalism or laziness though :?:
Yep. Many such examples, like... :99 instead of 1:30, or my daily fav 16:66 for 2 cups of rice, etc.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

I suspect the word "minimalist" is a synonym for "frugal" on this post. Well i have proof that i am a minimalist as my wife uses another synonym......"cheap".
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

reggiesimpson wrote:I suspect the word "minimalist" is a synonym for "frugal" on this post. Well i have proof that i am a minimalist as my wife uses another synonym......"cheap".
Reminds me of a lunch I had a few years ago with a group of Bogleheads. I was relatively new to the group and one guy was completely new. After listening to the others describe their frugal ways, I thought, "This is my group, my kind of people." The new guy called us a "bunch of cheapskates" and I never saw him again.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Fallible wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:I suspect the word "minimalist" is a synonym for "frugal" on this post. Well i have proof that i am a minimalist as my wife uses another synonym......"cheap".
Reminds me of a lunch I had a few years ago with a group of Bogleheads. I was relatively new to the group and one guy was completely new. After listening to the others describe their frugal ways, I thought, "This is my group, my kind of people." The new guy called us a "bunch of cheapskates" and I never saw him again.
Fallible..........sounds like my kind of people. Are they in the NE?
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

reggiesimpson wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Fallible..........sounds like my kind of people. Are they in the NE?
Bogleheads are EW, everywhere. :)
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

Fallible wrote:
Bogleheads could probably make communism work. Wouldn't that be something?
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Dave76..................i absolutely love the humor on this Forum. Thanks.
William4u

Post by William4u »

For me, a "minimalist" is someone who only values things that have true value (things that contribute substantially to the wellbeing of family, friends, community, etc.).

For me, a "cheap" person is someone who does not see the value in things that have true value.

Cheap people don't spend when they should spend, and minimalists only spend when they should spend.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I don't think many minimalists would be using a computer and internet connection to post on a web forum.

Brian
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

William4u wrote:
For me, a "minimalist" is someone who only values things that have true value (things that contribute substantially to the wellbeing of family, friends, community, etc.).

For me, a "cheap" person is someone who does not see the value in things that have true value.

Cheap people don't spend when they should spend, and minimalists only spend when they should spend.

"Eye of the Beholder"

BTW....I am married 45 years. A sense of humor is essential!
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I live in an 850 square foot home. I have everything I need or want. If that make me a minimalist, I am.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

I'd consider myself minimalist. Who needs lots of stuff, the latest gadgets, and a big home to be happy in life? I don't. It's more of a pain to be responsible for that stuff than to plow all that extra money being saved into retirement accounts, so I can retire at 55-60. My big splurges are taking vacations around the world and being cultured.

I rent, don't pay for cable tv, have a cheap prepaid phone and an old car that gets me from point A to point B when I don't walk or bike, and I couldn't be happier!
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

When we first retired, we spent the winters in a 16- then 30-foot trailer traveling around the southwest. We had so few possessions with us that we didn't come close to filling the modest storage spaces in the RV. It was among the most enjoyable times of my life, in large measure because of the liberating effects of being responsible for so little, being ready to move on any time in less than an hour and improvising when something was needed.

That experience has informed our lives ever since, although I couldn't fairly characterize our current home-bound life as anything less than minimalist-lite. We do like our comforts and as we age, more possessions seem to be needed for comfort, even including steps to get into the shower, but we still have only one small and over-the-air tv, no fancy phones or phone plans, simple appliances, keep our sprinklers off and water with a hose, and look first for a low-tech solution to any problem.
Levett

Post by Levett »

I am an aspirational minimalist.

I'd like to get there, but it will take some work. :wink:

I am ever mindful of Emerson's observation: "Things are in the saddle, / And ride mankind."

Lev
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Default User BR wrote:I don't think many minimalists would be using a computer and internet connection to post on a web forum.

Brian
I get it for free, in the room that I rent for about 5% of my income. Never owned a TV or even a bed (or any furniture); all my possessions fit easily in my subcompact car (that I almost never drive). In modern terms, I think most people would consider me a minimalist despite my computer and internet.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

I've been interested in minimalism, and followed blogs like The Minimalists, Zen Habits, and Miss Minimalist. It's very popular among young people now, especially with lack of economic opportunities, and the various bloggers do it to different extremes, from tiny houses to simple apartments to living in an RV to permanent travel with nothing but a suitcase. The sticker is always having a family--Miss Minimalist was a purist until she decided to have a kid, then she gave in to the need for more stuff and space. There's an aura of competitiveness about it too, as with trying to live with under 100 or 200 possessions. To me the basic principal of choosing experiences over stuff makes sense, that the lure of new toys quickly wears off, and that clutter, like overeating, masks underlying emotional issues and thus should be dealt with.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

stoptothink wrote:
Default User BR wrote:I don't think many minimalists would be using a computer and internet connection to post on a web forum.

Brian
I get it for free, in the room that I rent for about 5% of my income. Never owned a TV or even a bed (or any furniture); all my possessions fit easily in my subcompact car (that I almost never drive). In modern terms, I think most people would consider me a minimalist despite my computer and internet.
+1 for free internet. It's included in my already low rent payment. Between having free HDTV with antenna, a Tracfone and free internet service, I pay less than $20 a month for my communications needs. I know others who pay well north of $150/month for tv/phone/internet and I just laugh at them....hahaha!

There's also this thing called a library, where people go to access the internet for free!
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

bp8006 wrote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!
Same here! This forum is the first time I've encountered another one who does this too.